Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wooger posted:

Better solution: just wear cycling specific water resistant thermal bib tights and change when you arrive.

No idea how it’s worth rustling about in that kind of over-trouser if you can just change clothes.

Seems like a wash in terms of changing time. Which models are water resistant but aren’t neoprene sauna bags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Rain pants are great, though I mostly use them when it's well below freezing - over bibs - just to eliminate wind.

I have some old Altura ones that I've patched in various places. They breath very well, unlike the cheapest showers pass model I tried once. Strong and breathable is going to cost some money.

If you don't care about breathability so much then SP is the go to.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

sweat poteto posted:

Rain pants are great, though I mostly use them when it's well below freezing - over bibs - just to eliminate wind.

I have some old Altura ones that I've patched in various places. They breath very well, unlike the cheapest showers pass model I tried once. Strong and breathable is going to cost some money.

If you don't care about breathability so much then SP is the go to.

I was on the verge of buying some rain pants for winter commuting before I started working from home permanently, but for anything above 50 I think I'd just wear a rain jacket and let the shorts get wet.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Did my first bike commute today. Goes bike -> train -> bike. Big thanks to kimbo for lending me a bike to try it out.

Gotta say I’m feeling way more energetic and in a better mood at the end of the day. Only takes 10 minutes more than driving and I get a free workout in too.

My rear end is sore though.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Dobbs_Head posted:

Did my first bike commute today. Goes bike -> train -> bike. Big thanks to kimbo for lending me a bike to try it out.

Gotta say I’m feeling way more energetic and in a better mood at the end of the day. Only takes 10 minutes more than driving and I get a free workout in too.

My rear end is sore though.

Excellent.

Getting your body moving is good because the more you do it the more energy you realise you have. It also produces an endorphin response, so you get to feel happier and healthier.

The sore rear end is like noob mode. You won't even notice it soon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yep your butt will acclimate in 30-45 days

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Are you sure I shouldn’t buy a 7” thick gel padded saddle for my wimpy bum?

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I've been going down a bit of a rabbit hole on electronic shifters, didn't know that was a thing until I was looking through some of the options recommended earlier. Does anyone have opinions on these?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Frequent Handies posted:

I've been going down a bit of a rabbit hole on electronic shifters, didn't know that was a thing until I was looking through some of the options recommended earlier. Does anyone have opinions on these?

Why the hell does anyone bother

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I don't get them

But I'm the weird guy who prefers friction shifters above all else

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Electronic shifters are an expensive invention that solves made up problems. They only exist to increase value for SRAM shareholders.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Frequent Handies posted:

My commuter has a Shimano alfine 8 speed, and when I put together a road bike last autumn I opted for electronic shifting. I love it to bits and it is the future. I like sequential shifting and auto compensation when you shift the front derailleur. The clicky paddles are tits.

If you don’t object to the cost I say try it. if you do object to the cost then the mechanical stuff is solid and reliable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Frequent Handies posted:

They make a lot of sense for bikes that are trying to wring out every bit of performance they can. These days, that's achieved with aero, where 10-20W of drag can be produced by exposed cables. Running mechanical cables inside your handlebars and frame is a lot of finicky work. Cable wires don't need to be routed smoothly, and make this a bit less of a headache, and wireless is of course a piece of cake. You still have the brake cables/hoses to deal with, but your labor is easily halved if not more.

I think electronic shifting performance is very good, but it does trade off something I really like about cable shifting -- if you're familiar with your equipment, you know exactly how close your finger is to moving the paddle/lever/trigger to an index where the shift will happen. So depending on what your ride situation is, you can hesitate and hold there until you decide you want to complete the shift. Because you've already moved through some of the shift mechanism's range of motion, the shift feels more immediate or responsive.
With Campy and multi-upshifting, I really appreciate being able to pause in the sweep motion when shifting through 4-5 gears.

The electronic shifters are of course physical, too, so the same concept applies, but the switches are quite a bit more binary in action, so you have a quite small range of motion before the click depresses. I definitely find holding the shift button to multi-shift more disconnected feeling than doing a physical sweep.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

SimonSays posted:

Electronic shifters are an expensive invention that solves made up problems. They only exist to increase value for SRAM shareholders.

Spicy and wrong take.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Having used both flavors of electronic shifting (don't @ me about Zap and FSA), as well as mechanical shifting in many different contexts, I agree with Kimbo. In a performance setting, especially for me, racing, it does make a noticeable difference. Aerodynamics, sure, but even in CX, you're shifting frequently enough, in cold, wet, muddy conditions, that having something that doesn't require the effort of actually pushing a physical lever is a noticeable relief.
From a maintenance standpoint, in CX, it reduces the dramatic wear and tear that mechanical shifting sees - I used to completely replace cables & housing once a month during cx race season.

For anything outside a race setting, though, I don't personally consider it worthwhile - just too much much more expensive for relatively marginal differences.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

Having used both flavors of electronic shifting (don't @ me about Zap and FSA)

The Campy pope is recalling you to Rome.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Frequent Handies posted:

they’re p great but I wouldn’t want them on a commuter

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Plus, do some ultra distance rides and you’ll appreciate how much less hand fatigue you’ll get with electronic shifting.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

The Campy pope is recalling you to Rome.

I do not acknowledge EPS. It should be as if it did not happen.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

Plus, do some ultra distance rides and you’ll appreciate how much less hand fatigue you’ll get with electronic shifting.

and the lack of thought :hmmyes:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bicievino posted:

Having used both flavors of electronic shifting (don't @ me about Zap and FSA), as well as mechanical shifting in many different contexts, I agree with Kimbo. In a performance setting, especially for me, racing, it does make a noticeable difference. Aerodynamics, sure, but even in CX, you're shifting frequently enough, in cold, wet, muddy conditions, that having something that doesn't require the effort of actually pushing a physical lever is a noticeable relief.

a lot of tour divide racers use them for this reason, and I'm just like... what? having to keep my freaking drive train charged when I'm out in the wilderness for 2-3 weeks (and hoping to god I don't have an electronics failure) doesn't seem like a great tradeoff for the meager time-saving in cable maintenance. but then again I'm not racing it anytime soon so what do I know

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

God Hole posted:

a lot of tour divide racers use them for this reason, and I'm just like... what? having to keep my freaking drive train charged when I'm out in the wilderness for 2-3 weeks (and hoping to god I don't have an electronics failure) doesn't seem like a great tradeoff for the meager time-saving in cable maintenance. but then again I'm not racing it anytime soon so what do I know

It’s really not that big of a deal in practice.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

God Hole posted:

Don't they tend to have a whole bevy of electronics to keep charged, regardless? Headunit, spot tracker, cell phone, etc. The SRAM batteries claim to charge in about an hour and last 60, although I've never timed anything.

I've never done that sort of event, though, so can't speak with any first hand to the extent the conditions might tax a drivetrain of whatever flavor.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

God Hole posted:

You can't win a bike race if your hands literally stop working from fatigue. This is a real thing that happens.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Tobin’s already said it but when you’re at the end of a race/ride and can’t shift because your fingers don’t function, so you need to brace your entire hand against a shifter to make it work, you’ll wish you had little mouse-clickers to shift your gears. I still have weird weakness issues in my hands from both the braking and the shifting.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

okay yeah that makes a lot of sense. It did take me a couple months to get feeling and strength back in my pinky and ring finger after my last bike tour.

and from how it's described, in retrospect it probably would've been nice to have e-shifters on some of those alpine passes where I lost feeling up to my wrists. That got downright dangerous lol

do the batteries handle freezing conditions well? because pretty much every electronic I've taken on my rig has failed or lost charge at some point if it got cold enough

God Hole fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 21, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lithium batteries do OK but everything else tends to just choke and die when it gets cold enough, especially smaller batteries. Still, I imagine DI2 would be fine because the main battery is p big and the cr2032 batteries in new DI2 shifters only have to transmit command inputs.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Definitely some opinions there, thanks y'all. It does seem like it would be a bit excessive for a commuter and I'll be unlikely to be doing any hardcore touring and definitely not racing so the expense in the end probably wouldn't be worth the benefit.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Frequent Handies posted:

Definitely some opinions there, thanks y'all. It does seem like it would be a bit excessive for a commuter and I'll be unlikely to be doing any hardcore touring and definitely not racing so the expense in the end probably wouldn't be worth the benefit.

Hardcore touring and racing aren’t the only 2 use cases. Even for your standard 100k-200k (60 mile-120mile) ride, you can find benefit in eshifting.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Frequent Handies posted:

Never having to worry about STI munching my shifter cables is almost worth it alone. Auto-trim is nice. Synchro-shift can be nice for a commuter. Micro-adjust/indexing on the fly while riding...also good. I don't think I would own a commute-specific bike (instead of a commuter/tourer/grabble) unless I had to leave it a less than secure place, and in that case I would surely be using a "beater" of some sort.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

I do not acknowledge EPS. It should be as if it did not happen.
I'm looking forward to you starting a bike parts company with this as part of the logo:

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Got honked at by my first car. On a calm, clear road with plenty of room this car zooms past me super close while honking. I expected that kind of assholery, but jeez it’s scary in the moment.

Dude, I’m just trying to get to work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Better solution: just wear cycling specific water resistant thermal bib tights and change when you arrive.

No idea how it’s worth rustling about in that kind of over-trouser if you can just change clothes.
It's way easier to just party-man your raingear off in 20 seconds and be ready to rock?
I commute on an e-bike so sweating under my rain gear is much less of an issue tho.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SimonSays posted:

I use di2 but holy poo poo never having to gently caress with shift cables/adjustment ever owns so much

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

evil_bunnY posted:

I use di2 but holy poo poo never having to gently caress with shift cables/adjustment ever owns so much

Commute on fixed gear and you can avoid the cost too!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dobbs_Head posted:

Got honked at by my first car. On a calm, clear road with plenty of room this car zooms past me super close while honking. I expected that kind of assholery, but jeez it’s scary in the moment.

I get startled even when on a bike path and the car's honking at a car near me or something. I instinctually think I'm going to get hit or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dobbs_Head posted:

My favorite honking moment was getting honked at by a Prius. This was back when owning a Prius was an environmental statement piece, not simply a way to save on gas

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

A 3/7/8-speed Shimano Nexus hub is basically that already, without the risk of your entire drive train getting obsoleted in 5 years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If anything, IGHs are more sensitive to tiny issues with the shift cable than derailleurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

kimbo305 posted:

If anything, IGHs are more sensitive to tiny issues with the shift cable than derailleurs.
When it is 20-something F my IGH shift cable likes to freeze (and not shift) because clearly some moisture gets into the cable when it is parked at the subway station. I still think those IGH are the closest thing to a toyota yr gonna get.