Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1503494235311456260

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thinking about the fact that 10% of all lab mice die of ulcerative dermatitis because living on plastic instead of dirt is bad for them

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

clicking an ad that says "come and see" and ending up on this thread's very own logorrheic's blog

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
enjoyed this little bit in this article

UN gathering gears up for push to save planet’s biodiversity

quote:

[...]The U.S.-based Campaign For Nature says a major theme in Geneva will be a target to protect and conserve at least 30 percent of the world’s lands, inland waters and oceans to help stanch habitat loss, the “overexploitation” of nature by people and businesses, and the emergence of pathogens that thrive off upheaval in the environment.

Convention managers point to five drivers of biodiversity loss: Changes to the use of land and sea; unsustainable exploitation through activities like agriculture; climate change; pollution; and the spread of invasive alien species into new habitats. Indirectly, it says, unsustainable production and consumption also play a role.[...]

SAY THE WORD

SAY IT

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Love the phrasing there. "gears up for push"

UN Gathering to Set Date to Possibly Think About Forming a Committee to One Day Potentially Do Something About Current Catastrophic Biodiversity Loss

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I watched an hour and a half presentation on the passenger pigeon, and it’s good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2UlLsHkus

It goes over the history of the birds, how they fit into the ecosystem, and the proposal to bring them back from extinction.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

I watched an hour and a half presentation on the passenger pigeon, and it’s good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2UlLsHkus

It goes over the history of the birds, how they fit into the ecosystem, and the proposal to bring them back from extinction.

cool, bookmarking this.

finished Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut and I can't recommend it to readers of this thread enough; Vonnegut's outlook and judgement on the progress of humanity really fits in here.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Frozen peatlands could pass climate tipping points sooner than thought

quote:

Global warming has already caused Arctic permafrost to start releasing more carbon than it absorbs. But Richard Fewster at the University of Leeds, UK, and his colleagues have pinpointed in new detail when and where local climates will become unsuitable for peatland locked away in permafrost.

Finland, Norway, Sweden and a small part of north-west Russia will become too warm for permafrost peatland by the 2040s in all possible future carbon emissions scenarios considered by the team, compared with 2070 as thought previously. In the three higher-emission scenarios, most of Western Siberia will pass the same threshold in the 2090s.

This would leave 39.5 billion tonnes of carbon, twice the amount contained in Europe’s forests, at risk of being released into the atmosphere and turbocharging climate change. The vast majority of that carbon is locked up in western Siberia, which has much older and larger peatlands than the other areas included in the study.

“We’re looking at a huge carbon store that’s undergoing rapid changes. A huge amount of this carbon could be released into the atmosphere,” says Fewster. However, he cautions against fatalism and says a key message is the importance of the choices countries make today to tackle climate change. Under the lowest-emission scenario, about 14 billion tonnes of carbon could still survive in the far north of Western Siberia. In the higher-emission scenarios, this will eventually be released.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjeWKssl8Ic

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the climate is changing so we dont have to

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Guessing this won't include all the emissions of when the peat catches fire either.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Twice the amount contained in Europe's forests? That's like what, eleven trees?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Guessing this won't include all the emissions of when the peat catches fire either.

That might be better lol

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Tipping point in 2040?
Net-zero by 2050 looking even more ridiculous.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Net-zero means zero fish in the nets duh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if all the carbon is already in the atmosphere then there's no way to add more so that's one way to get zero net (or maybe even negative!)

what i'm saying is, let's just try to speedrun this thing

kater
Nov 16, 2010

airlines are cutting hundreds of thousands of flights due to staffing and prices so war and plague are saving the earth.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Waging war doesn't tend to be all that eco-friendly. Don't think Putin started a war of aggression to fight climate change.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Fame Douglas posted:

Waging war doesn't tend to be all that eco-friendly. Don't think Putin started a war of aggression to fight climate change.

Genghis Khan graph. jpg
War is our only hope.
War and voting.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Come on in, the water's fine (and hot)

https://twitter.com/dadastrumdrang/status/1503786975333036032

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I can provide a phenomenal pulse of warmth :grin:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

im ready for our first blue ocean event

loving c'mon already

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What single catastrophic event (because that is all the media will ever really respond to) would the Times and Atlantic start to say, "Actually, let's just start spraying sulfur dioxide now. It's cheap and who knows maybe it'll work!!"?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
there's already been mentions of "well maybe a bit of nuclear war would be good for the climate?" so i dunno, maybe something like a 20% drop in Number that can be directly attributed to abnormal climate events? can't really think of anything more catastrophic than that

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What single catastrophic event (because that is all the media will ever really respond to) would the Times and Atlantic start to say, "Actually, let's just start spraying sulfur dioxide now. It's cheap and who knows maybe it'll work!!"?

Probably the AMOC stopping. That's a single event and will abruptly change global weather patterns for centuries whenever it happens.

A lot of countries are going to want their winters, rains or temperate weather back.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

the heat wave from Ministry of the Future, but in the hamptons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mameluke posted:

the heat wave from Ministry of the Future, but in the hamptons

they'll just go to maine that weekend instead and tell their servants that get stuck in the heat to die in the yard instead of inside

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

there's already been mentions of "well maybe a bit of nuclear war would be good for the climate?" so i dunno, maybe something like a 20% drop in Number that can be directly attributed to abnormal climate events? can't really think of anything more catastrophic than that

Complete loss of all agriculture, fishing and forestry would be a 4.4% drop in worldwide gdp.
That doesn't sound too bad yet.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uguu posted:

Complete loss of all agriculture, fishing and forestry would be a 4.4% drop in worldwide gdp.

economic activity happens indoors so who cares what happens outside?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

bedpan posted:

economic activity happens indoors so who cares what happens outside?

give this man a nobel style prize

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
is nuclear war considered to happen outside or inside?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

uguu posted:

and i assume this will have been preemptively priced into number, so really it's no problem at all

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

wild sturgeon go extinct, no more caviar :supaburn:

champagne region of France no longer able to produce viable grapes :derp:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

a heat wave wouldn’t do it, because that’s just weather

getting hungry would do it

it would be too late by then

so,

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Laterite posted:

and i assume this will have been preemptively priced into number, so really it's no problem at all

the fed can print the money and the companies can buy back the stock so number should price it in in about 30 minutes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

TACD posted:

nonhustler thinking here. sturgeon going extinct and champagne turning into a desert means the IP rights on the names will be available for a fraction of the cost

disrupt the champagne industry. disrupt caviar.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Platystemon posted:

Two hundred and fifty million?

Don’t spend it all in one place.

it's the thought that counts

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

TACD posted:

Nuclear reactors could provide power almost indefinitely. Greenhouses could maintain plantlife. Sturgeon could be bred and slaughtered.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

genius economist said that whatever happens outside the door of my climate controlled home or office is utterly irrelevant.

And they are right! On a personal level. Extend that thinking to an entire planet, like they did, and the problems quickly become apparent. That is, if you think there exists any value, any necessity, any resource outside of aristocrats sitting around polished table in an air-conditioned office.

Every experience of their life has proven their conceptions of society to be correct. Every aspect of the world around them, the risk/reward mechanisms, consequences good or bad, laws, or social norms, etc. again and again and again show the person who dismisses climate change as the outdoor temperature gaining a few degrees, and nothing more, is the smart and sensible one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

i scooped a few thousand mosquito larvae out of my pond and fed them to the quail, they loved it