Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland gets a cool mask so I’m a fan tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Frani is definitely William tho.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Taear posted:

Related and end game spoilers here
I'm sad we never found out who the heirophant was because I kinda expected a robot or something like that.

You do on some routes.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
in fact, you do on every ending besides Utility

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Spoil who!
I mean my guess is that it's just a sooty situation and the old guy is going to the tent and going 'ooh the heirophant says kill all the humans' when he's just doing it himself

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Royalists are garbage aristocrat scum and I look forward to taking the route where I might get to murder them.

The game really makes me want to know what happens in the other routes and whether certain characters live/die if you go other routes. It’s probably the best thing about the story.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

What Royalists are even left after Aesfrost invades in the early game? Just Patriatte?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nah Roland is basically Harry or whichever one talked poo poo about the Queen and got cut off or whatever.

Dont know who that is, dont care. Being born into monarchy is enough to deserve death tbh. The taint is given at birth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scrap Dragon posted:

What Royalists are even left after Aesfrost invades in the early game? Just Patriatte?

No they all bent the Knee. You get to talk to several.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

Dont know who that is, dont care. Being born into monarchy is enough to deserve death tbh. The taint is given at birth

That's pretty hosed up!

Just got to chapter 11 and the writing is getting worse. You literally see that Hyzante tortures, kills, and brainwashes Roselle but then several people try very hard to convince you that there's nuance involved in giving the Wolffort Roselle back to Hyzante as if that's a serious thing I should ever consider. LOL

Of course I said gently caress no and now I'm going to gently caress up their goons for attacking my people. Let's go.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's pretty hosed up!

Just got to chapter 11 and the writing is getting worse. You literally see that Hyzante tortures, kills, and brainwashes Roselle but then several people try very hard to convince you that there's nuance involved in giving the Wolffort Roselle back to Hyzante as if that's a serious thing I should ever consider. LOL

Of course I said gently caress no and now I'm going to gently caress up their goons for attacking my people. Let's go.

How is that hosed up, the monarchy are monsters in real life, sorry.

And they're realpolitiking and saying gently caress that minority because it's more important that everyone is okay. It's really realistic, I don't really think you're looking at the way they're showing it properly

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MonsterEnvy posted:

No they all bent the Knee. You get to talk to several.

They are all there but Gustadolph relegated them to menial tasks to keep them busy and out of his way. You can confront one and ask them about bending the knee and they get super pissed at you.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

And they're realpolitiking and saying gently caress that minority because it's more important that everyone is okay. It's really realistic, I don't really think you're looking at the way they're showing it properly

Good to know a bunch of people would sell out their best friend because of who their parents were like some kind of hosed up Warhammer villain but ok!

And yes I'm not taking the other suggestion seriously because, once again, this is not real life. This is a video game where I always win so yes of course I'm going to stand my ground and do the right thing and fight against nearly insurmountable odds and win.

Yes I'm very clearly not looking at the video game fantasy story "properly".

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Taear posted:

Spoil who!
I mean my guess is that it's just a sooty situation and the old guy is going to the tent and going 'ooh the heirophant says kill all the humans' when he's just doing it himself

no you got it, it is literally a killer robot that zaps whatever idore points it at

re monarchy: the game kind of stumbles in not emphasizing early on that glenbrook, in being bound to its traditions and social class in a way hyzante and aesfrost aren't, is a bad place for someone actually capable but not born into the nobility, and this comes into some routes later on as to why so many people there seem so opportunistic/dismissive of their royal family.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 16, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Taear posted:

People that "realpolitik" deserve the death penalty irl, hth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really like the Piccoletta recruitment event.

Aw, poor thing. You don't have anywhere to go? Don't worry, you'll be safe with us!

*immediately sneaks past siege lines to lay down life for king and country*

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I guess if you're a relatively progressive liberal writing video game stories in Japan you might think of aesfrost, hyzante, and Glenbrook as America, China, and the Shinzo Abe's "bring back the divine emperor" party respectively, which are probably the main political ideologies you're familiar with and they're all rear end?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

People that "realpolitik" deserve the death penalty irl, hth.

I'm not saying I agree with it. Just that it's super realistic and honestly not something you see in many stories in games.
Benedict is the king of this but I guess he represents Utility in the game.

Also I've had a go with new game plus and holy poo poo the bandit fight at the start completely ripped me to pieces until I changed it to very easy
Turns out never using Benedict (he was level 10, enemies are 33) might have been a mistake!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reik posted:

I guess if you're a relatively progressive liberal writing video game stories in Japan you might think of aesfrost, hyzante, and Glenbrook as America, China, and the Shinzo Abe's "bring back the divine emperor" party respectively, which are probably the main political ideologies you're familiar with and they're all rear end?

I think Royalists, Capitalists & religious fundamentalists are common enough that these ideologies as represented in the game don’t need to map to specific real world countries. I mean these beliefs don’t only exist in a few specific nations, many countries are even in fact influenced by all 3!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah, like in my head glenbrook, not aesfrost, is the one that felt most like america to me. moralizing assholes full of corruption. spineless liberal vibes.

but if you wanted you could map hyzante to the states. crazy religious people. loves their science, especially when it comes to wmds. slavery.

all three factions feel too universal to be any specific real life country to me.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 16, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

At the beginning I thought it was funny how each of the three major kingdoms represented the three subgroups of American conservatism (Ayn Rand objectivist libertarianism, capital-fueled religious fundamentalism, old money entrenched power republicanism). There’s not a point to that I just thought it was funny.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought Hyzante was going for a Medieval Islam vibe myself????

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean the praying towards the statue thing is not subtle

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It definitely has that vibe initially but (mid-game spoilers) a religion created to subjugate an entire race and keep their economic interests safe definitely sounds like evangelical Christianity, especially in the south

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
When I first got to Hyzante I was like "oh hey cool they're commies!" and then like 60 seconds later I figured out it's all religious terrorism and forced conformity. Absolute garbage. I was really happy loving over Sorsley.

I'm in chapter 13 now. I'm kind of blown away at all the crazy poo poo that's happened. Half of it makes no sense at all but whatever. I have this blast crystal now and Roland's idea is the right one. Metal Gear into the castle at night, murder commanders and blow up their warship. Fuckin' A. :clint:

Oh and the music in the chapter 11 story fight was really cool. That was also a fun fight except for the moron npc who I had to save like 3 times.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've been avoiding info on this game because I don't like spoilers, but what's the general consensus of it?

Like how does it compare to say Fire Emblem?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've been avoiding info on this game because I don't like spoilers, but what's the general consensus of it?

It's good. No permadeath makes it less stressful and more fun. The combat is really good and reminds me of Tactics Ogre. Terrain and weather matter.

Play the demo and decide.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just realized that Anna could, hypothetically, solo any map by herself, if you were patient enough.

Edit: Well, I guess healers might pose a problem.

Edit2: Also it feels like whenever I come up with a good strategy in this game it involves completely breaking the AI so they just stand still or walk back and forth forever while I attack them with impunity.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tbh its not very similar to fire emblem at all i feel like? Its way more focused on positioning and terrain and individual encounters matter way more then in fire emblem. Like they dont really do maps with 50 enemies like fe (or at least not as ive seen)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Clarste posted:

I just realized that Anna could, hypothetically, solo any map by herself, if you were patient enough.

Edit: Well, I guess healers might pose a problem.

Edit2: Also it feels like whenever I come up with a good strategy in this game it involves completely breaking the AI so they just stand still or walk back and forth forever while I attack them with impunity.

I mean, yes, you can in fact break the AI and take ten thousand turns to finish a map. You can definitely influence enemy actions, though, and beat a map in a relatively short time by using things like traps, fire, ice, etc AND get a bunch of Kudos (and exp for everyone else) doing it.

The game rewards intelligent positioning and teaming up on enemies. It punishes you for not doing that as well. For example an archer on the high ground doing a back attack can get 3 kudos in one shot. Enemies that team up on your characters tend to blender them really quickly. Unless you're playing on Very Easy or something - that's definitely balanced statistically more towards 1v1 going heavily in your favor (bosses included).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I finished my first playthrough! I had mostly Utility decisions, with morality second and liberty third. I went with Benedict's plans for blowing up the dam AND with his plan to ally with Aesfrost, the former I thought was a TERRIBLE idea but made a lot of sense. I basically chose the options I would have least likely taken.

It ended faster than I expected and I have a ton of steam left. I have just started a New Game + and am getting my butt handed to me by the bandits, as others have mentioned. Gotta get Roland 6 or so levels, and maybe level up the main crew some, as well, since I coasted along mostly beneath the recommended story levels. I'm not sure if I am going to pursue the "golden" path yet.

Edit: Regarding enemy AI:

Enemies are fairly smart, but you can definitely manipulate them in similar ways to other strategy games. My favorite is purposefully exposing your back, for example, and playing a spring trap there so you'll force an enemy to take damage/lose a turn for being greedy.

Anna was MVP for the last battle. Once I learned that the automaton was more focused on doing the map-wide nearly 400 base-damage attack on anyone who has 3 or more TP, or summoning more mooks, I had Erador, Groma, and Milo all distract enemies with provoke, Lure In, and temptation skills. Meanwhile, Anna snuck around and attacked the boss without penalty, Taking Cover as needed. Glad I came up with this strategy on my first try, because that map-wide attack would have taken out more than 1 person had I not done Benedict's Dragon Shield to protect my squishier units.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 16, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Levantine posted:

I mean, yes, you can in fact break the AI and take ten thousand turns to finish a map. You can definitely influence enemy actions, though, and beat a map in a relatively short time by using things like traps, fire, ice, etc AND get a bunch of Kudos (and exp for everyone else) doing it.

The game rewards intelligent positioning and teaming up on enemies. It punishes you for not doing that as well. For example an archer on the high ground doing a back attack can get 3 kudos in one shot. Enemies that team up on your characters tend to blender them really quickly. Unless you're playing on Very Easy or something - that's definitely balanced statistically more towards 1v1 going heavily in your favor (bosses included).

An archer on high ground doing triple kudos back attacks is also the easiest way to break the AI though? It completely freaks out when it can't reach its intended target, even if other targets exist.

It will also stand in burning oil without moving

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Clarste posted:

An archer on high ground doing triple kudos back attacks is also the easiest way to break the AI though? It completely freaks out when it can't reach its intended target, even if other targets exist.

It will also stand in burning oil without moving

Infuriating enemies and then moving to a spot the enemy can’t get to is very fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah enemies are dumb as gently caress and it owns. Wall of Ice has been one of my favorite things to abuse because the enemies are not content with just chopping down one chunk of it and coming through to attack you. Nope, they insist on chopping down every piece of the wall first because I guess they have an OCD or something.

The Quietus helps you do some really unfair stuff too. I love it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Levantine posted:

Yea very easy is great, it definitely makes the maps a breeze. I really can't be bothered with the sharp level spiking in NG+ so I'm just going to leave it on very easy now.
It turns out my playthrough netted me 1900 liberty, 1100 morality and only 700 utility so I've got a big ramp of utility to go through. Man I'm sad I missed out on the hawk shield guy, he's amazing.

One thing that baffles me - this is a spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to know how much they get for their decisions.
It's FIFTY for just chatting to someone in a town but 40 for actual decisions? 40 for handing over roland? Seems insane

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m confused by something in the chapter XVI battle

The enemy just rode in a mine cart, but it isn’t giving me that option, just the option to call the cart. What’s up with that?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The enemy just rode in a mine cart, but it isn’t giving me that option, just the option to call the cart. What’s up with that?

This took me forever to figure out.

There's no "ride cart" interaction at all. Watch where your move options are. It lets you call it from an empty spot, but if there's a cart there it'll just present your move options on the other end as possible. So if you want to ride a cart someplace, move your person to a blue square on the opposite end of the cart path and your person will ride the cart to get there.

I feel extra stupid because there's a boat fight earlier in the game that handles movement the same way that ALSO took me forever and I just now realized it's the same mechanism just flavored differently.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 16, 2022

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Riding in a minecart is a Movement, but calling it is an Action. If you can ride a minecart, the whole track will be blue and you will see squares at the other end of the track to select for movement

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I watched the overview like four times and I still didn’t understand that, good work Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I watched the overview like four times and I still didn’t understand that, good work Square.

If it helps they explain it every single time you see the map either in reality or in mock battles. Took me a while too so don't feel too bad.

Taear posted:

Yea very easy is great, it definitely makes the maps a breeze. I really can't be bothered with the sharp level spiking in NG+ so I'm just going to leave it on very easy now.
It turns out my playthrough netted me 1900 liberty, 1100 morality and only 700 utility so I've got a big ramp of utility to go through. Man I'm sad I missed out on the hawk shield guy, he's amazing.

I started using Very Easy on my second playthrough to beeline through it (after doing Hard) and honestly, from a pure stat perspective, it feels like it's balanced like most other SRPGs. You can send units into groups and expect them to have a better than even chance of coming out before getting overwhelmed. Enemies are still faster for whatever reason. I think Speed as a stat just carries a ton of weight.