Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Great another patch that happens right when I get off of work. Sweet.

Are the honing materials tradeable to alts but roster bound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hefty posted:

This seems great as well!

Man I’m not a game dev, but I am a dev, and the idea of trying to maintain three completely separate clients gives me hives. I’m sure there are good reasons not to try to unify them, but that is very much not a thing I would like to work on. It’s pretty impressive how not hosed everything is, all things considered.

Four, isn't it? KR, JP, RU, EN?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Four, isn't it? KR, JP, RU, EN?

If I had to guess the idea would be to sync NA/EU, JP, and RU. As they all would get monthly updates. Which would be ideally a month or two behind Korea which gets weekly updates.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Streaming Lost Ark right now on Twitch https://twitch.tv/omgitsbees

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Has anyone had this issue?

It looks like some of the time something isn't clearing in memory and I get these weird overlays on the 2d portions of the map, for secret map displays and sometimes in the map UI. If I keep clicking on the map to refresh the image, it cycles through various other things in the image as well.

Edit: Did some searching and I'm not the only one with this issue so it seems unlikely to be hardware failure at least.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 15, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hefty posted:

Man I’m not a game dev, but I am a dev, and the idea of trying to maintain three completely separate clients gives me hives. I’m sure there are good reasons not to try to unify them, but that is very much not a thing I would like to work on. It’s pretty impressive how not hosed everything is, all things considered.

The battle items does not seem worth it for those who had to deal with the Tytalos bug.

Hefty posted:

It is very much a big company problem whenever you want to be international (especially if you have an audience in China). Some dev teams are dedicated i18n team to automate some of it.

Flair fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 15, 2022

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Flair posted:

It is very much a big company problem whenever you want to be international (especially if you have an audience in China). Some dev teams are dedicated i18n team to automate some of it.

Yeah, i18n is one thing. I cut them quite a bit of slack for the often confusing/wrong translations. Some of the differences go beyond what I’d expect for catering to specific international markets though.

It seems like (from the outside with no actual context) our client is based on an older version and has gotten cherry picked patches from KR as well as new changes not present in the other clients. I get the impression that the director or whoever is doing things pretty ad hoc. Again, I’m totally speculating, but it seems like trying to consolidate with the RU/JP/KR clients at this point would be a loving nightmare unless they were extremely diligent.

Also, I totally forgot there was a JP release. I feel like nobody ever talks about it?

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
Can someone explain to me how field bosses actually work? As in, when do they spawn, like every day or specific days?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

l0lwhat posted:

Can someone explain to me how field bosses actually work? As in, when do they spawn, like every day or specific days?

The ones from the compass spawns every hour. The ones not on the compass spawns 15 min to 1 hour from when it died on that channel. You can channel hop to find a boss up sometimes.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

super sweet best pal posted:

How bad is it? I need the song so I can complete Azure Wind Island.

It shows up on the calendar every 4-5 days for a day or two. It took me 5? times running it to finally get the song, so 2-3 weeks total. YMMV

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, is there some kind of hidden mechanic I am not aware about, or are people really cheating even in something as silly and inconsequential as the dino race? Because I just saw another player, catch up to me, overtake me and then disappear from my view using just normal movespeed without any booster or me getting hit by course obstacles or player abilities. At a guess, I would say his base move speed was roughly 20-30% faster than mine? Do you actually retain your swiftness bonuses when racing and I should be running full swiftness build to tryhard the races? :v:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i believe a hotfix that went up last night that fixed some small stuff, but for filthy casuals like me, did a huge change that removed the ilvl requirement on the event shop, so those of us in t2 can now buy the t3 mats to save for later.

i have 8 characters and do chaos dungeons on at least 4 per day, so i'd been capping out on event currency super easy. glad to see they removed the one piece of fomo-bait i'd encountered so far.

edit: wait, i guess they only did it for the engraving recipes? still can't buy the t3 honing mats. that... sucks.

cams fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 15, 2022

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I think they forgot to actually DO the hotfix. The timers are still messed up for DST.

Dinho Eledair
Feb 20, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I think they forgot to actually DO the hotfix. The timers are still messed up for DST.

as someone who still reads the new world thread that sounds very familiar!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a reason why I shouldn't just save skill upgrades from gear that I want in the Skill Inventory and apply to everything? I know the gear transfer can fail but saving something to the inventory and applying it to gear seems to be free and guaranteed and the skill doesn't leave the inventory when I apply it to something else which I totally didn't expect.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zotix posted:

Artillerist. Big boom, always good.

Seconding artillerist, even if I don't really like mine as much as my Deathblade. It was fun to level up and works pretty well solo.

Now if only I could figure out a third character, considering the classes I'm actively interested in aren't available yet... Then again I'm not even out of T1 on either character (just cracked 500 and haven't even gotten around to going to Rohendel yet) so there's hardly much rush.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Artillerist is great but it does have mobility problems.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't just save skill upgrades from gear that I want in the Skill Inventory and apply to everything? I know the gear transfer can fail but saving something to the inventory and applying it to gear seems to be free and guaranteed and the skill doesn't leave the inventory when I apply it to something else which I totally didn't expect.

My understanding is that's exactly the intended use of the skill inventory. It lets you template the skills for your build after you go through the hassle of organizing them how you want in the first place.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tortolia posted:

My understanding is that's exactly the intended use of the skill inventory. It lets you template the skills for your build after you go through the hassle of organizing them how you want in the first place.

That's awesome. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and find out there's a small chance of destroying both pieces of gear when you do it or something but it seems like a genuinely helpful system.

I do wish they extended the 'skill notification on gear' feature to other things, though. Let me automatically mark gear that I find with the engravings I want or something. It's a good system that gets introduced like 150 hours into the game lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh and word of advice for people pre-T3 still: don't stress too much about your gems. There's new gems in T3 that outclass all the old ones and on top of that they halve the power of all t2 gems while you have t3 gear equipped. Obviously combine what you get but I wouldn't worry too much about re-rolling gems for better bonuses at that stage.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, is there some kind of hidden mechanic I am not aware about, or are people really cheating even in something as silly and inconsequential as the dino race? Because I just saw another player, catch up to me, overtake me and then disappear from my view using just normal movespeed without any booster or me getting hit by course obstacles or player abilities. At a guess, I would say his base move speed was roughly 20-30% faster than mine? Do you actually retain your swiftness bonuses when racing and I should be running full swiftness build to tryhard the races? :v:

Are you sure they didn’t hit a speed boost? I’ve seen a teammate hit the boost pad and zoom by me without it showing a visible buff or effects.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hefty posted:

Yeah, i18n is one thing. I cut them quite a bit of slack for the often confusing/wrong translations. Some of the differences go beyond what I’d expect for catering to specific international markets though.

It seems like (from the outside with no actual context) our client is based on an older version and has gotten cherry picked patches from KR as well as new changes not present in the other clients. I get the impression that the director or whoever is doing things pretty ad hoc. Again, I’m totally speculating, but it seems like trying to consolidate with the RU/JP/KR clients at this point would be a loving nightmare unless they were extremely diligent.

Also, I totally forgot there was a JP release. I feel like nobody ever talks about it?

Oh are you discussing that there is an actual version difference between the US and KR game i.e. Argos? Outside of localization, that's server-side rather than client side, and I would assume because the infrastructure between the various regions are different. I would assume KR has some custom infrastructure that they started with when the game was small, and the US version is powered by AWS. So putting everything from KR to US would not be completely portable and needs testing to slowly transition from one infrastructure to another.

Also, the JP release is relatively dead. Russia is dying as well given that a significant portion of the audience was the US/EU vpning into RU for early access to the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Flair posted:

Oh are you discussing that there is an actual version difference between the US and KR game i.e. Argos? Outside of localization, that's server-side rather than client side, and I would assume because the infrastructure between the various regions are different. I would assume KR has some custom infrastructure that they started with when the game was small, and the US version is powered by AWS. So putting everything from KR to US would not be completely portable and needs testing to slowly transition from one infrastructure to another.

Also, the JP release is relatively dead. Russia is dying as well given that a significant portion of the audience was the US/EU vpning into RU for early access to the game.

The differences in content like raids/classes/cosmetics/etc between global and KR are absolutely not because of server infrastructure reasons. This happens in most live-service games that get ported to a new regioin and it's an intentional design decision. In the original reason players lived at level X for a few months before Y content was released and changed things up, etc etc. So in the port they want to replicate the same kind of living game world instead of just dumping all the new playres into the current endgame in the original zone with none of that intermediate stuff released over years mattering. Though Lost Ark global is definitely not following the original chronological order 100%. For example we got Sorceror before Summoner/Destroyer/Reaper/Lance Master/etc even though Sorc is the second-most-recent class released in KR.

On the topic of cosmetics and stuff that are available in KR and not global, I dunno maybe they just didn't want to scare new players off with a cash shop full of 10,000 things.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Flair posted:

Yeah, sorry — I keep saying client, but I’m talking about both.

I get things like the character name limitations being affected by infrastructure differences because who knows what service they’re sending them through to validate them for curse words or IP or w/e or how they’re storing them.

There are other things though that, at least on the surface, seem like they shouldn’t necessitate or be affected by infrastructure differences. Like potions being roster bound or not. If that’s truly due to changes in infrastructure, I’m super curious what weird poo poo they did to deploy this stuff on AWS. I mean, I’m sure they made changes so that they could use whichever exec’s fav AWS product, but it seems like they’re running some weird Frankenstein version on the backend as well.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

holy gently caress man I'm so tired of loving poo poo RNG in this game. I've played PoE for 5k+ hours, I get RNG. It can be good and it can be bad. But holy gently caress is it getting tiring not getting poo poo. Every map, every world boss, every activity a guildmate gets Legendary Grudge, or Cursed doll or some big loving ticket item like that. Meanwhile it's purple MP efficiency for me. I just finished Argos, and EVERY SINGLE ITEM was Domination, expertise, or endurance. Every loving single one...

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hefty posted:

Yeah, sorry — I keep saying client, but I’m talking about both.

I get things like the character name limitations being affected by infrastructure differences because who knows what service they’re sending them through to validate them for curse words or IP or w/e or how they’re storing them.

There are other things though that, at least on the surface, seem like they shouldn’t necessitate or be affected by infrastructure differences. Like potions being roster bound or not. If that’s truly due to changes in infrastructure, I’m super curious what weird poo poo they did to deploy this stuff on AWS. I mean, I’m sure they made changes so that they could use whichever exec’s fav AWS product, but it seems like they’re running some weird Frankenstein version on the backend as well.

I think the concept of the roster bound/character bound categorization is just to prevent player flooding the economy with stuff people would buy, but the designers only want the original owner to have especially if a new account can get them easily. (Why some potions are character bound vs roster bound is beyond me. Maybe it is an artifact for a different design decision that has been sunset.) When I say infrastructure limitations, I am referring stuff like how the US/EU released was delayed to include the tier 3 stuff at launch.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

People are really cheating, you can see EQ and Diablo style warp-hacks being used all over T1 and T2 farming zones. Kind of disappointing that it's exactly like those old rear end games in regards to client-side cheats, especially since it loads up an "anti cheat program" or whatever on launch. After I saw the warpers I was out. I'll play the next EQ TLP if that's what I want..

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've seen bots do the teleport hack in low level zones but nobody at max level or doing any real content. I'm sure some of it is happening but they probably get banned just like the bots do every banwave.

Hacking for the race event is laughably unnecessary though because of how easy it is to buy out the whole shop every week and also that you don't really get much more for winning than just participating so my bet is either lag or they ran over one of the speed boosts.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

I did it! No more taxi tasks left. I got my Eurus and only 6 more days until I get both the Astray and ghost ship.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think I'm done with this game... went to play and I could just see it all in my head, the running around, harvesting, being angry at the game for making me convey messages between two people standing ten feet from each other, the moments of good action, the honing... and I felt that I had just played it. The action is good but most of the time is spent thinking 'this is so stupid'. I guess there was fun while it lasted though, and I didn't spend any money.

boloney
May 29, 2021
Is there a website/resource that tracks in-game timers, trading ship locations, and other stuff like that? Similar to garlandbell for FFXIV

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

boloney posted:

Is there a website/resource that tracks in-game timers, trading ship locations, and other stuff like that? Similar to garlandbell for FFXIV

Not as far as I know. We have a discord bot that calls out some of the stuff though and afaik that’s petty much how they’ve done it in KR too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

boloney posted:

The ingame calendar would be nice for this, if it was in your local time at all and not four timezones on the other side of the world

It also breaks if your PC's timezone puts you a day ahead lmao

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 16, 2022

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mozi posted:

I think I'm done with this game... went to play and I could just see it all in my head, the running around, harvesting, being angry at the game for making me convey messages between two people standing ten feet from each other, the moments of good action, the honing... and I felt that I had just played it. The action is good but most of the time is spent thinking 'this is so stupid'. I guess there was fun while it lasted though, and I didn't spend any money.

I don’t think I’m quite at quitting but the last two days I’ve definitely only logged in to collect the event rewards then decided I’d rather read a book than do the full daily loop

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you're feeling burnt out then start skipping guardian raids. Especially if you're in t1, and especially if you don't have cal-dragon-guy or levanos in t2 yet.

They're the weakest link although t2/t3 do bring in good gold still. Guardians get much better in t3 because they die in 5 minutes average vs the slog of t1/t2.

With a free 5 completion tickets per week from events you could technically let una energy build up, use a ticket on something like ghost ship 5x per week, and not even fill your energy bar all week. Meaning you can just do unas once per week when you feel like it.

The other option is to just not do dailies and go do the content you want to do.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 16, 2022

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
I'm playing pretty casually, though still at 140+ hrs, only working my way through Yorn now but do have a few Alts that I've been going to for the changeup of playstyle but still starting to run out of steam, especially with the pain points that some of the folks that I play with are running into at higher item levels, like one having a hell of a time to get to even 1100. Seeing what is waiting for me at higher Tiers isn't really inspiring a lot of motivation, but that tends to be what ends up being my breaking points in MMOs, massive grinds for tiny % increases to then go and do the same. Most of the guild of people I started with played the first few weeks and dropped off too, but at least definitely feel like I got my $25 worth.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

The other option is to just not do dailies and go do the content you want to do.

This is what I'm doing. I feel like the general atmosphere of the game according to streamers and the general playerbase is to exploit everything available to max out your ilvl and gold gains, and to just look at it all and go "lol no" and do my own thing is liberating.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

This game is awesome because most things are like 10-15 minutes long which suites my attention span and my tendency to get pulled away by real life things.

It’s great being able to do a chaos dungeon on my berserker, then switch to paladin and do a guardian, hop on deathblade for a couple pvp matches, and that’s like maybe an hour. I’ve got 10(?) characters now and usually play a couple different ones every day. The only downside to not progressing any of them super quick is that guardians can get a little repetitive, but I skip them most days now and pvp instead anyway.

I did get my paladin to 960 though so it’s back to the G mines for him. I finally set up my mouse to spam G when I hold down a button though and that’s made questing significantly less awful. Def recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can always just dispatch a guardian too. I have no idea the difference in rewards but if you really didn’t want to do it in the first place….