Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

That is some crazy good penmanship for something presumably being written in the back of a moving school bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Did we ever find out why the painting wasn't stolen (or was stashed in the museum after being stolen), or was that lost in archives somewhere?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ceci n'est pas...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Did we ever find out why the painting wasn't stolen (or was stashed in the museum after being stolen), or was that lost in archives somewhere?

Unless there's a Sunday we aren't seeing, no. The presumed old lady thief (we never saw her in the comic) got away scot free with the ransom.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Jan 14-15, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 2, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 30-31, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 24, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 27, 1919

Cat Tales March 5, 1925

???

Oaky Doaks September 9, 1936

Mopsy November 17, 1937

Up Front February 6, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 24, 1952

Those Were the Days June 25, 1959

Wee Pals June 1, 1966

Dogbert February 1, 1967

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks September 9, 1936

Wow, about 30 years before Captain America said it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:emptyquote:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

:perfect:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 16, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
huh boss dharma is different today

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did you try reading it the opposite way than usual? 'cuz I tried that and it also didn't make much sense.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't get the pun in the new character's name

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Maybe it’s like…Guy Fenix is from a monastery and that’s his thing, but this guy’s from a hunting club…

:confused:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So... in today's Blueberry: And this is why privatised healthcare is a bad thing, or The boys succeed in their mission, or Oh don't be so dramatic - that's evidently Doc's heart disease medicine!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bruceski posted:

Nope. It's just an incredibly awkward story where I suspect they couldn't figure out how to condense it into a single week's story arc. (assuming it was adapted from a book, which I think most/all of these are?)

maltesh posted:

Unless there's a Sunday we aren't seeing, no. The presumed old lady thief (we never saw her in the comic) got away scot free with the ransom.
I looked up a Sunday EB out of curiosity and those are apparently self-contained mysteries(presumably because some papers didn't have Sunday editions, like the one I get my 70s comics from :v:):

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True March 27, 1919

The more things change...:smith:

quote:

???
(redandrover.jpg) The cat is reading the literal bridal catalog and thinks the unrelated ad in the middle of it(which has a big scary FOUR OUT OF EVERY FIVE HAVE gum disease PYORRHEA headline) is describing the potential matches, which scared him off.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: old friends, new (political) enemies (May 15-21, 2006)

That's got to be unsanitary.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Womp womp.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

For a country as serious about its seafood as Japan is, imitation crab sticks are weirdly popular.

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hostile V posted:

Did you try reading it the opposite way than usual? 'cuz I tried that and it also didn't make much sense.

Ghostlight posted:

i don't get the pun in the new character's name

csammis posted:

Maybe it’s like…Guy Fenix is from a monastery and that’s his thing, but this guy’s from a hunting club…

:confused:

I fixed it and if you didn't see my mistake too bad I'm too embarrassed to want to explain it ㅠ ㅠ

(thanks for not quoting me everyone)

fake edit: oh cool Korean characters work again not that I ever have much reason to use them

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Mikl posted:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Womp womp.

There! In the distance! Something I don't have to draw that will maintain the status quo!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Dustin's creators actually think very carefully about how to draw, say, a vacuum cleaner so their stodgy audience will still recognize it from the one they've had for 50 years from back when things were still good, or a librarian so they'll recognize her as an uptight harridan, or a teen service worker so they'll recognize them as a useless braindead moron.

e: I guess what I'm actually saying is, they know their visual cliches.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 16, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Nope. It's just an incredibly awkward story where I suspect they couldn't figure out how to condense it into a single week's story arc. (assuming it was adapted from a book, which I think most/all of these are?)

I haven't really been looking at the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia as of late, but the main reason I stopped was because most of the ones I was looking up were not showing up there (or at least, I couldn't find them). At this point, I think they're either sufficiently-modified to make searching for them difficult, coming out of Sobol's non-encyclopedia-brown mystery collections, or completely original.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/15/02

Brenda Starr 5/10-12/48

Smokey Stover 10/6/46

Everyday Movies 12/11/34

"Sure the elevators are more crowded than they used to be -- they're full of bill collectors going up and down."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 09, 1950)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "94 - Jucika As Krampus"

A fascinating historical strip today. This is actually the first known instance of thicc demon girls in animation, making Jucika the progenitor of Morrigan and so on. Krampus is a goat demon that kidnaps bad children on Christmas. Or scares them if you want to keep it friendly.

"rosszak = naughty"

""95 - Jucika Is Freezing"

"hírlap = newspaper"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Here he is at last. The Batman. Critically, someone crashes through a ceiling at this point. This was requested by my friend Dan Berry.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

I looked up a Sunday EB out of curiosity and those are apparently self-contained mysteries(presumably because some papers didn't have Sunday editions, like the one I get my 70s comics from :v:):

But it could just mean another different member of the Tigers wrote the note and this kid is blameless! Encyclopedia! :argh:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Procrastination is real and strong and he's my friend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Mixup at the waxworks (1937)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

I fixed it and if you didn't see my mistake too bad I'm too embarrassed to want to explain it ㅠ ㅠ

(thanks for not quoting me everyone)

fake edit: oh cool Korean characters work again not that I ever have much reason to use them
I honestly thought you were making a joke I didn't get. :sweatdrop:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Is Ian the kind of dick who would freak out at his wife for getting into a fender bender? Apparently yes!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THESE PEOPLE OR THEIR BABY

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

skip today's funky if you value your sanity

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I'm a dead phantom, yahahahaha
There's no other reason to hold a skull like that than to crudely puppeteer it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

kidcoelacanth posted:

you're not the dad of me

*one google search later*

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

kidcoelacanth posted:

I had to know. And this is where my head's at now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywnLQywz74 (mildly nsfw)