Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

There's only two bad episodes of the original run of Futurama imo: Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch and Mother's Day. Then there are a handful of very forgettable/terribly mediocre episodes which include: That's Lobstertainment, Where The Buggalo Roam, Bend Her, Bendless Love, The Honking, Put Your Head on my Shoulders, and Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love. These all at least have a joke or two which lands.....but for the most part......not really worth revisiting unless they are on TV.

Notice that I omitted A Leela of Her Own. In most aspects....a poor episode. But the Hank Aaron character was great and very memorable. The bits about him being the worst baseball player in the history of the game makes me chuckle. The bit about him trying to catch a ball with an oven mitt gets me every time.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/phDvt8fY/B1dFKt.mp4?1555340972798

If we're only saving episodes from being bad via one good joke, Kif Gets Knocked Up A Notch has all the Midwife's lines. "I won't actually be going anywhere, but you don't have to talk to me anymore!" always makes me feel better about sticking it out the first 3/4ths of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Huh? Mother's Day is great.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I like all of those episodes. Especially the Honking

Leela of Her Own is too American, I don't give a poo poo about baseball

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone was referencing the "add a 1 and 2 0s" bit the whole time the possible Bender recast was happening.

Leela of Her Own is a good episode.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the entire first Blursnsball scene is probably my favourite 'man isn't the future WEIRD?!' bit of the entire show

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RestingB1tchFace posted:

There's only two bad episodes of the original run of Futurama imo: Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch and Mother's Day.

Excuse me, what? :psyduck: Both of those are great! although I haven't seen either of them recently enough to defend any specific aspects of either of them

quote:

Notice that I omitted A Leela of Her Own. In most aspects....a poor episode.

:raise:

quote:

But the Hank Aaron character was great and very memorable. The bits about him being the worst baseball player in the history of the game makes me chuckle. The bit about him trying to catch a ball with an oven mitt gets me every time.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/phDvt8fY/B1dFKt.mp4?1555340972798

I love that Hank Aaron voiced himself and his great-great-great-great-and-so-on-grandson. He did a great job. :unsmith:

edit:

Maduo posted:

"I won't actually be going anywhere, but you don't have to talk to me anymore!" always makes me feel better about sticking it out the first 3/4ths of the episode.

I remember them cracking up over that line, and the sight of her just standing in the background quietly, in the DVD commentary. :haw:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The entire arena fight in "crustacean in love" is great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Walrus posted:

the entire first Blursnsball scene is probably my favourite 'man isn't the future WEIRD?!' bit of the entire show

I absolutely lose it when the spider shows up :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Zst4pMzh0

The pitcher looking utterly dejected is a great touch too.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 4, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely lose it when the spider shows up :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Zst4pMzh0

The pitcher looking utterly dejected is a great touch too.

lol I never noticed the 2nd baseman getting knocked down by the explosion.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Fry's confused expression owns too.

The only episode of the show I outright hate is the one with the singing boil, ugh. The rest I'm indifferent towards to at worst, although there are some episodes in the CC era I barely remember.

I'm surprised to see so many disliking Time keeps on slipping, it's among my favorite ones.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Excuse me, what? :psyduck: Both of those are great! although I haven't seen either of them recently enough to defend any specific aspects of either of them

:raise:

I love that Hank Aaron voiced himself and his great-great-great-great-and-so-on-grandson. He did a great job. :unsmith:

edit:

I remember them cracking up over that line, and the sight of her just standing in the background quietly, in the DVD commentary. :haw:

Maybe it's been too long since I've seen those ones too. Just seem to be ones that I've always skipped over....or rewatched and remembered why I didn't care for them. Honestly......'Mom' is by far one of my least favorite characters.....which is probably why I don't care for 'Mothers Day'.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm surprised to see so many disliking Time keeps on slipping, it's among my favorite ones.

Yeah, ditto.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Of the OG run I think one episode not talked about yet but I dislike is the one where Fry's nose get's stolen. I like the first half focusing on before mentioned part but the second half focusing on Lrrr's marriage problems is meh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Wade Boggs... goes down smooth!

realizing now this is a real guy and not just an always sunny joke thing

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Khanstant posted:

realizing now this is a real guy and not just an always sunny joke thing

Barney also punches him in the face in an old Simpsons episode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Isn't it only YeaTubaMike that hates Time Keeps On Slippin'?

The worst of the revival episodes is Proposition Infinity because it shits all over two characters and the way they frame their message is ridiculous

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Taear posted:

Isn't it only YeaTubaMike that hates Time Keeps On Slippin'?

The worst of the revival episodes is Proposition Infinity because it shits all over two characters and the way they frame their message is ridiculous

It also doesn't make sense in continuity because the guy using Fry's butt tattoo means that he should just die, not that reality would get rewritten.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Even the worst Futurama episodes have good jokes. Bender constantly negotiating with "you add a 1 and two 0's ahead of that or we walk" made me laugh.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Laughing Zealot posted:

The only episode of the show I outright hate is the one with the singing boil, ugh.

I'm about 99% sure whoever wrote that "joke" is also responsible for all the "jokes" in Disenchantment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
woof i forgot that bit entirely and what... forgettable reference to pop culture not worth enshrining in cartoon form

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Need help with a Futurama quote. I am ashamed to have to ask. But I searched Morbotron and I can’t find the exact quote or remember the exact wording.

It’s a Zoidberg quote, and the gist of it is him chuckling to himself about what a smart shopper he is. It may have something to do with joining a Columbia Record Club type thing? Or that might just be me merging two half remembered quotes in my head.

Either way, this points to it being time for a full series rewatch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Are you thinking about the time he sold his shares of Planet Express to 80s Guy?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
“Oh Zoidberg, at last you’re becoming a crafty consumer! Hello? I’ll take eight!”

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Is it this one?

https://morbotron.com/caption/S05E16/512194

e;fb

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
EDIT: ^^^^^^ Nailed it! I kept searching for “shopper” when I should have been searching for “consumer”. Thanks!

muscles like this! posted:

Are you thinking about the time he sold his shares of Planet Express to 80s Guy?

I could never forget “once again the sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!!”

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Even the worst Futurama episodes have good jokes. Bender constantly negotiating with "you add a 1 and two 0's ahead of that or we walk" made me laugh.

I loving dare you to find even one good joke from Attack of the Killer App.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

"Shut up and take my money"?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ive seen that so much it doesnt even register as futurama to me anymore, just something annoying redditors say at anything

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Attack of the Killer App was soul-crushingly bad, but it basically forced me -- a person who knew the show was beyond repair but didn't want to accept it -- to break up with the show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You missed some of the best episodes of the series then.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I thought the first half of that Killer App episode was okay, but it really takes a nosedive once it gets to the Susan Boil stuff. A criminal waste of Craig Ferguson's talents.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Killer App is a decent-to-good episode with one very stupid joke in it that takes up ~5 minutes of the episode.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
These sure are some episode titles:
"The Impossible Stream,"

"Rage Against The Vaccine,"

"Zapp Gets Cancelled,"

"The Prince And The Product,"

"Related To Items You've Viewed,"

"Children Of A Lesser Bog,"

"How The West Was 1010001,"

"I Know What You Did Last Xmas,"

"Parasites Regained,"

"All The Way Down."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I like the binary one.

But the final one just feels like it's predicting the quality of the season.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
*mouse hovers away from subscribe button*

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
New Futurama will be good just like the old Futurama and the comedy central Futurama

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
thats two different things. being good like old futurama or being good like cc futurama. one way of being good is enjoyable to watch and laugh at. the other is only good at projecting lights on your screen for a little while.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

the vaccine one is likely to be about the writers making themselves feel big by laughing at stupid people rather than saying anything substantive, the political episodes will be correct but feel similarly preachy, and if the writers are like most in their political demographic, they might not even wear masks anymore, which they should

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

galenanorth posted:

the vaccine one is likely to be about the writers making themselves feel big by laughing at stupid people rather than saying anything substantive, the political episodes will be correct but feel similarly preachy, and if the writers are like most in their political demographic, they might not even wear masks anymore, which they should

They'll be awful west wing liberal like their stupid gay marriage episode