Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

'Oh boy I sure am excited to play as Leon S. Kennedy again! It's been a whole game since we saw him! This is gonna be a cakewalk, I've got a magnum, 5 grenades a shotgun, a rocket launcher any LEON WHAT HAPPENED?!'

"Jill how did you lose your everything in the weeks between the Spencer Estate and the full blown outbreak?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
See this is why JRPGs cracked the problem by just not doing recurring protagonists.

Doesn't excuse Yuna and Vaan (Cecil and Lightning had a long time between games, that's understandable), but everyone else tracks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mario, Link, Kirby, Persona and Fighting Game protagonists, Pokemon, Bayonetta, Travis Touchdown and Dante are possibly the only characters to not get nerfed every new game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RareAcumen posted:

Mario, Link, Kirby, Persona and Fighting Game protagonists, Pokemon, Bayonetta, Travis Touchdown and Dante are possibly the only characters to not get nerfed every new game.

Link I'd dispute, when we have a direct sequel with the same guy (OoT>MM, Oracle games, WW>PH, LttP>LA if you believe that one) he's clearly gotten rid of all his gear except maybe the sword and shield.

Pokemon runs on the JRPG corollary of never playing as the same person twice, but the previous protags are implied to still be around. Same with Persona, with the spinoffs enforcing new weirdo rules they need to adhere to.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

kazil posted:

Some of the best video game characters start as characters you don't like wtf

I don't know if I've ever gone from disliking a character to liking them in a video game because of an arc. In a TV series or book sure, but I don't think game stories tend to go on long enough for me to get over the initial impression.

But then I don't tend to hate characters on first impression very much because I know they change. Even someone like Tidus from FFX who starts off pretty obnoxious and self-centered didn't bother me too much because it felt like something he'd grow out of through the story. The only character in my memory I just instantly hated was Jinx's character in Arcane. But that was because I knew she'd grow up to be Jinx. Normally I'd give a kid some slack for loving up and still demanding to get involved, but knowing who she'd grow up to be made that impossible. Honestly that character dragged down the entire show for me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Link I'd dispute, when we have a direct sequel with the same guy (OoT>MM, Oracle games, WW>PH, LttP>LA if you believe that one) he's clearly gotten rid of all his gear except maybe the sword and shield.

Pokemon runs on the JRPG corollary of never playing as the same person twice, but the previous protags are implied to still be around. Same with Persona, with the spinoffs enforcing new weirdo rules they need to adhere to.

I have never been concerned with the Hyrule timeline outside of novelty, personally. Aside from them moving from console to handheld, it's not like he loses abilities for reasons beyond just controls. Like you can't really dodge attacks in the same way as WW when you control it all with the touch screen.

Pokemon don't get rebalanced to be worse per new game and the same for Persona I'd say. Like Alice shows up in 3 and she hasn't suddenly become a waste of effort to use going forward or anything.

Phigs posted:

I don't know if I've ever gone from disliking a character to liking them in a video game because of an arc. In a TV series or book sure, but I don't think game stories tend to go on long enough for me to get over the initial impression.

I remember that was a real problem for people playing Tales of Abyss back when that was being let's played. And also Tales of Graces kinda since Asbel was cutting Richard so much slack while he was on his Ganondorf rampage. But I don't really have any examples better than 16 year old game sadly.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Arkham Origins was definitely what I was thinking of. See, he can do at least two voices; Troy Baker and Mark Hamill!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Just keep adding As to the end of spell names for every subsequent FF7R entry.

fighting sephiroth's final form as cloud turns into Popeye and casts firagagagagagaga

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mixing continuity and game mechanics is for terminal turbonerds

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mixing continuity and game mechanics is for terminal turbonerds

suddenly want to make a turbonerd game where basic concepts like cause and effect or object permanence need to be leveled up through xp-based mechanics

you need 100% completion to have a coherent plot

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tunicate posted:

suddenly want to make a turbonerd game where basic concepts like cause and effect or object permanence need to be leveled up through xp-based mechanics

you need 100% completion to have a coherent plot

If this isn't Disvo Elysium, then Disco Elysium has proved that your idea's got legs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Automatic breathing is a late-game unlock

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Use the bumpers to blink.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Troy as an actor I kind of felt that the photorealism actually hurt Death Stranding. Because when they attempt to set up a twist for one of the missions, I just immediately looked at the character and just thought you know, you look exactly like Troy Baker... I think you are the villain aren't you? You just took the mask off, which was the only thing keeping you a fictional character.... Because of this, photorealism making characters look like actors feels like a bad step. You're making a videogame, the characters can look like their own people, so DESIGN A CHARACTER. You can texture them as realistically or stylistically as you want, but they don't HAVE to look like a real person that exists. As long as it's good enough that our brains can accept them as a person in the universe that they exist in because the Uncanny Valley is so much easier to get away with in a videogame.

It's fine if the characters are based off of a movie property, then it makes sense to make them look like the actor because that character just looks like that and it's been established, so it didn't bother me as much in The Force Unleashed, partially because I didn't know the actors at all so didn't recognise them, so it was easy to let my brain just see them as Starkiller and Juno.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:34 on Mar 16, 2022

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Counterpoint: Mads Mikkelsen wished me a happy birthday and gave me flowers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

also if anyone is all about blurring the line between different types of media as well as game fiction and reality it's Kojima

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spells and items not carrying over from one game to the next is something that has never bothered me and it's always so curious why this is such a big deal to a non-zero number of people. Like the "game" portion of a video game is often just an abstraction that allows the player to progress through a narrative, it's barely acknowledged diagetically why a military shock trooper like Cloud can also cast fireballs even within the reality of the world, systems are often totally revamped between entries to the point where it would make no sense to carry over weapon or skill progression, and the sensation of building out a character from weakling to demigod feels good. Does it really make people feel better when Samus is given some new tortuous reason to lose all her poo poo at the start of a new Metroid? How is that any more satisfying than just saying "it's a new game, deal with it."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Spells and items not carrying over from one game to the next is something that has never bothered me and it's always so curious why this is such a big deal to a non-zero number of people. Like the "game" portion of a video game is often just an abstraction that allows the player to progress through a narrative, it's barely acknowledged diagetically why a military shock trooper like Cloud can also cast fireballs even within the reality of the world, systems are often totally revamped between entries to the point where it would make no sense to carry over weapon or skill progression, and the sensation of building out a character from weakling to demigod feels good. Does it really make people feel better when Samus is given some new tortuous reason to lose all her poo poo at the start of a new Metroid? How is that any more satisfying than just saying "it's a new game, deal with it."

Anyway, did you hear about how the devs don't know what a "bounty hunter" actually does for a living? jc Nintendo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Kratos what do you mean you fell in the River Styx and lost your swords? You loving klutz, you can't hold onto poo poo between games. What are you, MegaMan?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BioEnchanted posted:

With Troy as an actor I kind of felt that the photorealism actually hurt Death Stranding. Because when they attempt to set up a twist for one of the missions, I just immediately looked at the character and just thought you know, you look exactly like Troy Baker... I think you are the villain aren't you? You just took the mask off, which was the only thing keeping you a fictional character.... Because of this, photorealism making characters look like actors feels like a bad step. You're making a videogame, the characters can look like their own people, so DESIGN A CHARACTER. You can texture them as realistically or stylistically as you want, but they don't HAVE to look like a real person that exists. As long as it's good enough that our brains can accept them as a person in the universe that they exist in because the Uncanny Valley is so much easier to get away with in a videogame.

It's fine if the characters are based off of a movie property, then it makes sense to make them look like the actor because that character just looks like that and it's been established, so it didn't bother me as much in The Force Unleashed, partially because I didn't know the actors at all so didn't recognise them, so it was easy to let my brain just see them as Starkiller and Juno.

I can see that, but at the same time everyone in Death Stranding is based on a real person so I'm okay with it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's also enough red flags in that scene that I think you're supposed to pick up on it being off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Also, that logical jump means that Kojima has recreated a cinema trope, so I have to believe it's intentional. Kojima would definitely consider replicating the feeling of 'I know that guy's gotta be the murderer because he's played by an actor I recognize' a success.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Troy as an actor, I liked that skit he did with Ali Hillis at an FF13 promotional event making fun of Snow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dOOy8kBJY

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

exquisite tea posted:

it's barely acknowledged diagetically why a military shock trooper like Cloud can also cast fireballs even within the reality of the world

What do you mean, barely acknowledged? This is not only explained multiple times, but also mentioned constantly. The fact that the organization Cloud worked for is a weapons manufacturer that makes magic crystals that let their soldiers shoot fireballs is a pretty major part of the plot. There's a whole enormous section of the game where the plot is going on several heist missions to steal particularly big magic crystals that the company is trying to use to basically shoot a really big fireball at the meteor. Sephiroth Jenova literally throws one of these magic crystals at Cloud's loving face that one time. It's diegetic as gently caress.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It’s never bothered me but admittedly it’s pretty cool when the protagonist keeps at least some of the poo poo they picked up so I can see why it’s a letdown. Or all of their stuff, like the Trails series that up until Cold Steel III (I think) let you keep all the special moves you learned last game and they just become stuff like True Beatdown/Rude Buster 2 instead of just learning new moves and then even Supreme Beatdown/Rude Buster 3 if that subseries went on long enough or there was a protagonist from the last game who was a proven asskicker.

That’s something that really only easy to sell in RPGS though, and even then generally only with turn based ones.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DontMockMySmock posted:

What do you mean, barely acknowledged? This is not only explained multiple times, but also mentioned constantly. The fact that the organization Cloud worked for is a weapons manufacturer that makes magic crystals that let their soldiers shoot fireballs is a pretty major part of the plot. There's a whole enormous section of the game where the plot is going on several heist missions to steal particularly big magic crystals that the company is trying to use to basically shoot a really big fireball at the meteor. Sephiroth Jenova literally throws one of these magic crystals at Cloud's loving face that one time. It's diegetic as gently caress.

Materia is very well-explained in the fiction of Final Fantasy 7 and it's great. I love diegetic magic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

Even if you hadn't looked at the character, the whole scene+mission is pretty much setup in a way that should have some alarm bells ringing. I have read posts by people who admit they sleepwalked that one and had it blow up in their face, but they are several hints being dropped and you don't need the whole set to suspect something.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Mar 16, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

kazil posted:

Some of the best video game characters start as characters you don't like wtf

Yeah but then you have that Cloud District motherfucker in Whiterun

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

With Troy as an actor I kind of felt that the photorealism actually hurt Death Stranding. Because when they attempt to set up a twist for one of the missions, I just immediately looked at the character and just thought you know, you look exactly like Troy Baker... I think you are the villain aren't you? You just took the mask off, which was the only thing keeping you a fictional character....

OK but this also led to one of the funniest moments in Death Stranding when he takes the mask off and is wearing another mask underneath

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well then he should've used Raise on Aerith :colbert:

I know, KO vs death etc

Phigs posted:

But then I don't tend to hate characters on first impression very much because I know they change. Even someone like Tidus from FFX who starts off pretty obnoxious and self-centered didn't bother me too much because it felt like something he'd grow out of through the story. The only character in my memory I just instantly hated was Jinx's character in Arcane. But that was because I knew she'd grow up to be Jinx. Normally I'd give a kid some slack for loving up and still demanding to get involved, but knowing who she'd grow up to be made that impossible. Honestly that character dragged down the entire show for me.

TWEWY had the main character start off as an antisocial jerk who eventually learns to appreciate his friends and put his life on the line for them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

TWEWY had the main character start off as an antisocial jerk who eventually learns to appreciate his friends and put his life on the line for them.

I don’t think it works for everyone but it was a pretty bold choice that I liked at least. They probably did it better in the sequel, where the protagonist isn’t really unlikable per say but can be frustrating because he’s not assertive at all despite being in a death tournament.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Philippe posted:

Use the bumpers to blink.

Ah, you are thinking of the game Manual Samuel

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Maybe been mentioned, but every FromSoft game, except Dark Souls 1 (maybe Demon's Souls? Can't recall...possible even DS2, but I don't think so) has had bad equipment and merchant menus.

In DS1, you could see the actual amount a different weapon, armor, etc... increased or decreased in their damage/damage reduction/stat increase or decrease, etc...In both your own equipment menu AND in buying from a merchant.

Since then, though, all you get in your equipment menu is "red=lower than currently equipped" and "blue=higher." Oh, and white = same. On TOP of that, you can't see ANY comparison when buying a weapon or armor from a merchant, so you're constantly going back and forth in menus to see what your new stats would be.

Why they removed the perfect functionality of DS1 is a mystery.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a bunch of little annoyances in Elden Ring like not being able to remove equipped items from your inventory, so if you have a battle hammer equipped and want to stash it you have to go into Equipment, unequip the hammer, then sit down at a bonfire and open the "sort chest" menu. If you sit down at the bonfire and then realise you want to swap out your equipment then you need to stand back up, unequip what you don't want, and then sit down again. No idea what the benefit is of not being able to store something that you currently have equipped.

Also having to run back and forth between the smith and the merchant to upgrade weapons is annoying. Ok I need 4 more smithing stones to upgrade to the next level, guess I have to run over to the merchant and buy more stones and then run back instead of being able to, eg, pay an equivalent cost of the stones in the upgrade menu or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The #1 cardinal sin of gaming that Elden Ring commits: You cannot negate lethal fall damage by double jumping.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe been mentioned, but every FromSoft game, except Dark Souls 1 (maybe Demon's Souls? Can't recall...possible even DS2, but I don't think so) has had bad equipment and merchant menus.

In DS1, you could see the actual amount a different weapon, armor, etc... increased or decreased in their damage/damage reduction/stat increase or decrease, etc...In both your own equipment menu AND in buying from a merchant.

Since then, though, all you get in your equipment menu is "red=lower than currently equipped" and "blue=higher." Oh, and white = same. On TOP of that, you can't see ANY comparison when buying a weapon or armor from a merchant, so you're constantly going back and forth in menus to see what your new stats would be.

Why they removed the perfect functionality of DS1 is a mystery.

It's particularly weird with the scaling stats. They have a letter grade, which in principle is great, but then they also have unquantified differences within those grades. So you got one sword that scales with strength at D, but another sword will scale at a better D somehow, and in either case there's little telling how significant that is in the long run. It's especially apparent when looking at Ash of War varieties, each of which mess around with the scalings but often still end up working out to very nearly the same effective damage.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Mar 16, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Another dumb thing happened to me last night in Elden Ring (and this is an actual complaint this time). I found the wolf cave in the starting area, pulled out my bow, pressed L1 to aim, had a nice clear line of fire to the wolf,, pressed R1 to fire and... nothing. Okay, fine, maybe the game needs it held down to draw back the bowstring. Hold down R1 while still aiming, hear the bow noises and release and... nothing. Okay, it's dark, and the wolf is pacing, maybe I just missed and didn't see the arrow. Aim for the center of mass, wait for the wolf to pause with L1 and R1 pressed down and release and... nothing. I leave the aiming reticle to find all the arrows stuck in the floor directly in front of me. I move forward to the edge of the overlook and tried again, and it worked fine. I know that's kind of on me, but like I said, when I used L1 to aim, I had a clear line of sight from what should have been my characters POV.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s honestly pretty dumb that they’ve never thought of just putting in something like C-/C/C+ grades to better convey the range of scaling.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Randalor posted:

Another dumb thing happened to me last night in Elden Ring (and this is an actual complaint this time). I found the wolf cave in the starting area, pulled out my bow, pressed L1 to aim, had a nice clear line of fire to the wolf,, pressed R1 to fire and... nothing. Okay, fine, maybe the game needs it held down to draw back the bowstring. Hold down R1 while still aiming, hear the bow noises and release and... nothing. Okay, it's dark, and the wolf is pacing, maybe I just missed and didn't see the arrow. Aim for the center of mass, wait for the wolf to pause with L1 and R1 pressed down and release and... nothing. I leave the aiming reticle to find all the arrows stuck in the floor directly in front of me. I move forward to the edge of the overlook and tried again, and it worked fine. I know that's kind of on me, but like I said, when I used L1 to aim, I had a clear line of sight from what should have been my characters POV.

Part of this is because crouching doesn’t lower your first person perspective at all, so if you’re trying to shoot from stealth you don’t have an accurate view of where your shots are coming from. although it can also happen while standing sometimes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s honestly pretty dumb that they’ve never thought of just putting in something like C-/C/C+ grades to better convey the range of scaling.

Technically yes, but I also feel like five different grades of scaling are maybe enough in the way of numbers mechanics, especially if they're combined across 2-3 stats.