Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He was never in Corgan's NWA either but Sean didn't @ them about their condolence tweet :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The amazing creative genius of not having seen Scarface to realise Scott was doing a Tony Montana impression

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Ganso Bomb posted:

(I know there are actual arguments to be made when it comes to language, but this person is not making that argument)

By that argument Alex Wright could do Jinder Mahal’s gimmick

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

By that argument Alex Wright could do Jinder Mahal’s gimmick

In the company that made Chavo Guerrero, Jr a white caddie, all things are possible

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Whenever there's a good gimmick in WWE: "VINCE CAME UP WITH IT, VINCE ALONE, VINCE IS A GENIUS"
The 99% of the time when there's a bad gimmick: "They came up with the gimmick themselves, it's not Vince's fault if Wrestling Italian Stereotype can't get himself over."

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The amazing creative genius of not having seen Scarface to realise Scott was doing a Tony Montana impression

"Why would I need to see Scarface? We've got Scott Hall right here!"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/nodqdotcom/status/1503763983035244546

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
people only popped when wardlow pulled the ring out because they thought adam cole was in his pocket

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i get most of my dumb wwe fan stuff from reading this thread and the wwe thread, and i kind of give up: what about wwe is the "story-telling" that people are saying they say in wwe and not aew? i know i'm probably giving people too much of the benefit of the doubt here, but there must be something they're latching onto, yeah?

the most i can tell you, from not watching, is that roman is the Big Dog and the Head Of The Table and wants people to Acknowledge Him and his superiority, and he keeps fighting people and winning to prove that wwe is truly His House. for everyone else, their stories are 'they run into a celebrity that's paid to be there and they challenge them to a match sometimes' or 'they want the belt title that someone else is holding'

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i get most of my dumb wwe fan stuff from reading this thread and the wwe thread, and i kind of give up: what about wwe is the "story-telling" that people are saying they say in wwe and not aew? i know i'm probably giving people too much of the benefit of the doubt here, but there must be something they're latching onto, yeah?

the most i can tell you, from not watching, is that roman is the Big Dog and the Head Of The Table and wants people to Acknowledge Him and his superiority, and he keeps fighting people and winning to prove that wwe is truly His House. for everyone else, their stories are 'they run into a celebrity that's paid to be there and they challenge them to a match sometimes' or 'they want the belt title that someone else is holding'

constant, endless recap video packages of things that happened last week and also an hour ago on the same show you're currently watching

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

big talk from someone whose crowning achievement ultimately boiled down to "90% of roster is now the bad guys"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

long talking segments that say very basic things in very plain language.
that's why damian priest cutting the same "you fans" promo 100 guys before him have cut with almost nothing preceding it is good storytelling and not endlessly boring instead.

(tbh there are times where characters can work despite the focus being mostly on speaking, the baron corbin > sad corbin > happy corbin thing was actually pretty entertaining for a while and made the best of an unbearably bad character/unbelievably average wrestler. but that's one of the only times in recent memory.)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
the actual quote is just as bereft of substance. based on everything i've heard from bischoff i get the feeling he doesn't actually watch or like any wrestling except when he's on the show or involved in some way. this is just a combination of being mad he didn't land a job in AEW and attacking meltzer by proxy since he's absolutely obsessed with dave.

quote:

“I’ve been saying this from the get-go. I’ve been saying from day one whether it’s about WWE or AEW, it’s a commitment to story and AEW is proving my point. The fact that they have plateaued is proving my point. You can add whoever you want to your roster and it won’t matter beyond a week or two unless the audience is engaged in a compelling story that makes them look forward to next week. Not because they’re just wrestling fans and they want to see a four-star Tokyo Dome [match], no, that’s not going to grow the audience. That’s going to satisfy the audience you already have. If you can have that phenomenal athletic match, great, and it’s the pay off to the story, that’s excellent, that’s perfect. But if you’re not building stories that people focus on, talk about, relate to, and make [the fans] want to come back every week and see where it’s going next, if you’re not doing that, I don’t give a drat.”

“You could take WWE’s existing roster, bring it over to AEW and nothing is going to happen. It’s story, and first of all, you have to have a basic understanding of how to tell a story and I don’t see it. I see it in WWE and I don’t see it in AEW.”

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AEW doesn't have storytelling, which is why their audience has plateaued

WWE does have storytelling, which is why their audience has shrank by millions over the last few years wait a second

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
WWE storytelling is so good because it's full of surprises! That's why the commentators are constantly screaming "are you kidding me??"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I was trying to understand his point I think it’s less “WWE storytelling is better than AEW” and more “wrestling storytelling is bad”. In general that’s probably true and even many of AEWs successes are kind of a curved grade compared to the kind of storytelling you’d expect from any weekly show that wasn’t wrestling. And I’d guess that’s what Bischoff means by criticizing the ability to bring people back week to week and build an audience. He’s seeing the right way to be like Lost or something. Drive stories that continue each week and build and build.

But it’s kind of silly to assume that’s the only way to tell a story. I mean maybe he’s right. I’m not sure anyone has ever tried that level of serial storytelling unless you count Lucha Underground. But wrestling is a different beast and the wrestling is the show. Bischoff was kind of always trying to turn wrestling into something else and make it more of a mainstream thing. The Monday Night Wars will forever be this promise of what wrestling can be and there probably no one more mentally effected by that than Bischoff. But maybe wrestling is just it’s own niche that has to be done it’s own way. Most of wrestling history tells that story. Just not that one little period where Bischoff and so many others got invested.

Although I could be overthinking it (I do that). And maybe Bischoff really does think the wwe approach is superior because it’s more direct and plainly episodic. Tune in each week to see the adventure of Roman Reigns. You know what your gonna get if you come back next week.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 16, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I’m not sure anyone has ever tried that level of serial storytelling unless you count Lucha Underground.

yeah and we all saw how well that worked out lmao

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
He very clearly either doesn't actually watch AEW or is just as dumb as most of the people posted itt who literally can't see storytelling in the ring, or both.

Like how do you watch the entire Punk/MJF feud and not see a compelling story that makes people want to see what happens next week? Same with Britt/Rosa/Mercedez/Hayter. Same with Mox/Danielson. Same with all the stuff centered around Jericho for the last 6 months. And on and on.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I would love these people to show me the wrestling show that's growing week-to-week.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Eric's point is, as ever, "hey, look at me, remember me? talk about me now"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Karma Tornado posted:

Eric's point is, as ever, "hey, look at me, remember me? talk about me now"

This is probably the Occam's Razor answer. He did write a book called "Controversy Creates Cash" and that's all he knows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://twitter.com/theageofrkorton/status/1503888828372713472?s=21

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Like how do you watch the entire Punk/MJF feud and not see a compelling story that makes people want to see what happens next week? Same with Britt/Rosa/Mercedez/Hayter. Same with Mox/Danielson. Same with all the stuff centered around Jericho for the last 6 months. And on and on.
Can you say that again but with recaps of last week and the week before that and something that happened an hour ago. I have the memory of a gold fish and understanding of a dead dog.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Re: AEW selling out the LA Forum:

https://twitter.com/PartsUnknownUSA/status/1503933108890001410?t=jHkI7o7pUKu0ytaX8nbJFQ&s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AEW will never recover from this humiliation :hai:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Chris Regal Memorial Thread: You Should Never Sell Out

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Selling out arenas is bad for business! *huffs some Krylon from a paper bag*

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Kosmo Gallion posted:

WWE storytelling is so good because it's full of surprises! That's why the commentators are constantly screaming "are you kidding me??"

The audience is screaming it too, just for different reasons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really love takes like that where the person has heard a basic fact and just completely misinterprets it.

Yes, if you sell out quickly you have probably undervalued your tickets and AEW for major shows has undervalued the good seats and this has led to crazy secondary markets.

And this gets taken to the extreme of selling out at all is bad. Glorious.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

This one takes the cake for me. Selling out arenas is actually bad. Wow

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Duke Pukem posted:

Selling out that quickly... They might have a certain point from a pure capitalism pov. You'd make more money if you priced it higher but you sold like 98% by showtime rather than a sellout within 12 hours.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Duke Pukem posted:

https://twitter.com/PartsUnknownUSA/status/1503936633741135877

imagine 5 lemons on the edge of a cliff

AEW works the same way

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lid posted:

AEW works the same way

So what you're saying is that next time I bring 10 lemons.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Lid posted:

AEW works the same way

If I were to sell lemons for 1.50-2 dollars people would call me a loving idiot then go to the grocery store where they can get them for 89 cents each. AEW are the vendors selling fresh lemons for a reasonable price while WWE are selling rotten lemons for way marked up prices in this analogy, except we're adding shoppers that continue to insist that WWE's lemons are the best and freshest despite the fact that the fruit flies are RIGHT loving THERE!

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
When alternate universe WWE has a big sale on citrus fruits it's called a Premium Lime Event.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now I'm not a very smart business understander, but if you're trying to grow your promotion then maybe getting a large live audience invested into your product for an affordable price every single week would be worth it in the long run?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
So it's better to sell tickets at prices for way higher and struggle to fill seats then either paper the show and/or just tarp off most of the arena than it is to sell them for a decent show and have a full crowd that is excited for the product? Yeah, that definitely makes sense.

Edit: I forget if AEW and WWE have run the same building recently, but I'm pretty sure they have so I would be curious about ticket sales and actual money made especially if AEW sold more tickets at a lower price.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Hoss Corncave posted:

So it's better to sell tickets at prices for way higher and struggle to fill seats then either paper the show and/or just tarp off most of the arena than it is to sell them for a decent show and have a full crowd that is excited for the product? Yeah, that definitely makes sense.

Edit: I forget if AEW and WWE have run the same building recently, but I'm pretty sure they have so I would be curious about ticket sales and actual money made especially if AEW sold more tickets at a lower price.

The new building in long island. Aew out drawed

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
imo if you had direct hands on control in TNA at any point in your career you should shut the gently caress up about what AEW should be doing.

Is there any other industry that has a tolerance for flash in the pan success like Wrestling? Is there a podcast from the man who brought us Pogs talking about how this Fortnite poo poo doesn't know how to tap an audience?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gonzo McFee posted:

imo if you had direct hands on control in TNA at any point in your career you should shut the gently caress up about what AEW should be doing.

Is there any other industry that has a tolerance for flash in the pan success like Wrestling? Is there a podcast from the man who brought us Pogs talking about how this Fortnite poo poo doesn't know how to tap an audience?

If the lady that kicked off the pogs craze wasn't dead I bet she would have something to say about Fortnite. Probably that kids need to stop playing it during school hours (she was a teacher)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

When alternate universe WWE has a big sale on citrus fruits it's called a Premium Lime Event.

Sounds like a good venue for Sheamus.