Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got an email from HR chiding me for not completing a "Very important" strength assessment from Gallup and a follow-up from my boss that was basically "Please do this so I stop getting the emails that you're not doing it." It was actually dumber than I thought it'd be.

It was about 200... Not even questions, they were just paired statements and a spectrum of radio buttons to click where you fell on the spectrum (Think those "Strongly agree, agree, neither agree nor disagree, disagree, strongly disagree" surveys), but... Almost none of them were actually dichotomies?

One had "I like being alone" on one end of the spectrum and "I am considered well-organized" on the other.

Apparently my main strength is "Strategic thinking"???? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Powered Descent posted:

~~~just work-from-home things~~~

Paranoid of being asked why I occasionally go "inactive" in Slack, today I set up a simple mouse wiggler to run on my work macbook,

I just bought a cheap analogue clock to make a mouse mover.

Got the instructions here

Buy cheap clock off ebay:

Print out 'static' pattern:

Cut pattern to fit and stick it to the second hand:

Magic:

naem
May 29, 2011

I wish that we had Slack or something similar, I think we are rolling out Teams for calls and text messaging this year officially.

Currently people use Skype or Teams, or just text each other’s phone for those quick one off work questions but it’s not universal or required

so like 1/3rd of the company are able to communicate rapidly and effectively and get a lot done without interruptions, the rest of the company has extremely formal TO WHOM IT DOST CONCERNETH WHEREUPON THE RECIPIENT BEST REGARDS emails that get answered days later

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

~~~just work-from-home things~~~

Just use caffeinate and tell the Mac you’re there all the time:
code:
caffeinate -u -t 28800
https://www.unix.com/man-page/osx/8/caffeinate/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

An agile coach routinely mass forwards Google product updates and adds their own commentary, usually noting how great and exciting it will be to take our work to the next level.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

An agile coach routinely mass forwards Google product updates and adds their own commentary, usually noting how great and exciting it will be to take our work to the next level.

Coach is all about creating visibility.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sonic Dude posted:

Just use caffeinate and tell the Mac you’re there all the time:
code:
caffeinate -u -t 28800
https://www.unix.com/man-page/osx/8/caffeinate/

Hah, every time I do something clever, it turns out there was an easier way. :v:

Thanks for the tip.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got an email from HR chiding me for not completing a "Very important" strength assessment from Gallup and a follow-up from my boss that was basically "Please do this so I stop getting the emails that you're not doing it." It was actually dumber than I thought it'd be.

It was about 200... Not even questions, they were just paired statements and a spectrum of radio buttons to click where you fell on the spectrum (Think those "Strongly agree, agree, neither agree nor disagree, disagree, strongly disagree" surveys), but... Almost none of them were actually dichotomies?

One had "I like being alone" on one end of the spectrum and "I am considered well-organized" on the other.

Congratulations, they know your body thetan level now?

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 16, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Being a project manager is basically a license to gently caress off. I have so many phone calls and meetings that my computer is inactive for like 3 hours a day while I watch presentations and ask people if they got that thing I sent them.

Being a manager is my own personal hell.

No matter how hard I work nothing is accomplished and I just get more poo poo on my to-do list. 'Take some time off!' I'm told. So who's going to do the even larger pile of even more urgent poo poo when I get back? I took a week off in December and it took me two months to get back on track. gently caress this poo poo I wish it would just stop for a month.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I came up with the perfect solution to increase quality, production and reduce maintenance at my Amazon FC but no one seems to take me seriously. It's easy!

Have only senior management show up during the day so they can do their work and smile for the webcam when in meetings with their bosses in Seattle. Then have Night Shift come in and do all the work. We no longer allow Day's work crew into the building, therefore they can't break anything. The lack of workers there during days also means whenever corporate tells our management that we now have to stack the deck chairs on the Titanic this way senior management will have to do the work themselves which should reduce the amount of mess they create.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cthulu Carl posted:

I had to do one of these for a team building exercise that was part of an annual retreat for a board I served on for a few years. The end result was that everyone gets classified into 6 different problem solver/team member/office personality types. It was dumb as hell because anyone with an ounce of self reflection could say “yeah I avoid conflict, keep my head down and do my work, and prefer to be a member of a small group rather than a leader of a large one.” Then each group was given some kind of group project scenario, the end result of which was supposed to be “it takes all types to reach a common goal!” but since we were all on the same board together for years we all knew what that end result of the scenario should look like. And the person who ran this exercise was an invited (paid) guest speaker who does this sort of thing as a career. Thanks for spending a chunk of our budget on a chirpy professional team player coach to tell us our corporate Meyers-Briggs equivalent, that cheap box lunch from the cafeteria was a better trade off than a nice catered meal from a good local deli.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Alkydere posted:

I came up with the perfect solution to increase quality, production and reduce maintenance at my Amazon FC but no one seems to take me seriously. It's easy!

Have only senior management show up during the day so they can do their work and smile for the webcam when in meetings with their bosses in Seattle. Then have Night Shift come in and do all the work. We no longer allow Day's work crew into the building, therefore they can't break anything. The lack of workers there during days also means whenever corporate tells our management that we now have to stack the deck chairs on the Titanic this way senior management will have to do the work themselves which should reduce the amount of mess they create.

I had a cousin with a poor track record of sticking with anything take a night shift job at an Amazon fulfillment center more than an hour from their apt. It was a bizarre career move as even if there were magically no cars on the road and they didn’t need to sleep, there are hundreds of open jobs closer to home that pay better and have sane schedules. Anyway they lasted about two weeks.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

...It's the thought that apparently we'll bankrupt Amazon if we...grab too many box cutters or cotton sleeves to keep the box from cutting up our arms...

I mean, you never know until you try. :evilbuddy:

Actual work bullshit: I work for a company that manufactures industrial roller chain and sprockets. Think bicycle chain, only huge. Except we can't do much of either right now; many of the components we need to assemble chain are either A] sitting in cargo containers at one of the coastal ports or B] in the back of a truck that may or may not be "protesting" good public health procedures.
And the sprockets... we've had a machine down at the main facility that has taken months to fix. The solution should have been to send the sprockets to a different facility, rework them there, then ship them out. Except we've tried that. With two different facilities. And we've gotten further behind each time because it turned out no one wants to work on the drat things. And no one in management has the slightest clue how to alleviate the situation.

So basically, any time a customer calls in asking about when their order will ship, is it ready for pickup, etc., the only answer I have for them is "no."

You can see how this might be a bit discouraging over time.

e.: I meant the truck driver is protesting, not the truck. If a truck is protesting something I do not want to get involved.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 16, 2022

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Outrail posted:

No matter how hard I work nothing is accomplished and I just get more poo poo on my to-do list. 'Take some time off!' I'm told. So who's going to do the even larger pile of even more urgent poo poo when I get back? I took a week off in December and it took me two months to get back on track. gently caress this poo poo I wish it would just stop for a month.

You need to develop your team so that you can offload non- management duties to them when you're gone. If you can't do that officially, get a deputy.

I have 3-5 folks on my team that I can delegate my workload to when I'm out. I just need to give them a plan and then catch up with them when I get back. The only critical things are new requests and risks being realized.

What are the issues that commonly re-occur when you're out that only you can handle? Can you empower anyone on the team to handle them while you're out? If not, who is in your way? Kill them.

Also, you're a manager, you can never have a 0 workload, you need to manage your near term and long term to-do lists and communicate the expectations to management. The goal is to have a sustainable workload.

VVV: while simultaneously doing that. People management sucks. Project management rules. Directors/vps/c levels don't do anything but bullshit with eachother in echo chambers. That's the goal.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 16, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Outrail posted:

You need to fail upward into a different managerial position with fewer responsibilities.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my mouse wiggler was like 7 or 12 bucks off amazon and just plugs into USB

i don't think it matters anyway, now that i'm hitting stride with the second job as long as i get my tasks done, no one is checking my availability in teams

i wound up spending a little less than $300 on a kvm switch which i've got hidden in my desk

i switch inputs with a remote. doing like 1-4 hours of work a day and getting paid for 12. it's pretty sick

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Look at that pig's huge balls.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i can't start my workday without looking at that pig's huge balls. i take a peak after i drop my son off and it gives me the fighting spirit to take on the day!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pyrtanis posted:

My wfh users (transcriptionists) had to have a separate computer for the radiology work they were doing, and they'd jump back and forth between that and acute care. I had them set up on a kvm switch and had the monitors set up so they could see the patient's chart for acute care to reference while doing the radiology. However, I couldn't remove or change the five minute screensaver kicking in on the acute care machines, which was a hassle for my users. So, I installed a nifty program called Caffeine that sent F15 every two or so minutes. Worked like a charm, my users loved me and I never told my micromanaging boss that it kept them as showing as "away" as a happy side effect

You undermined physical security controls on medical data. If you're in the US handling and ePHI data, you may have hosed up and broke the law 45 CFR § 164.312(a)(2)(iii), specifically.

If your company bills medicare and medicaid for the services provided using these machines, and contracts with them attest to meeting those cybersecurity requirements, then requests for payment since you made those changes could now be False Claims and subject to triple damages + minimum $5500 fine for each claim for payment. I am not your lawyer but if you're in the US handling ePHI data, you should undo that poo poo immediately and self report.

And also not purposefully undermine security controls because they're inconvenient.

naem
May 29, 2011

years ago I was given a knock off myers’s-briggs personally test by a new boss who announced that my personality type was analytic and strategic, and incompatible with their superior personality type that plays fast and loose and isn’t bogged down by details or planning

I was then called into their office to announce that my position had been eliminated for budget reasons but I’d get a positive reference

they then pulled out a new job offer letter with a part time position with a worse title.

“oh no thanks I’ll just take unemployment”

“wait, no you can take this part time position and get partial unemployment while you transfer your knowledge to me so I can run dept X while you job search”

“yeah, you just verbally told me my position was eliminated, I get full unemployment, thanks”

it would seem that they did not analyze their, strategy very well

I got multiple (fast, loose) panicked texts and emails at home asking me to please how do I do XYZ while I got paid to find a better job

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

That's the good stuff

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

You undermined physical security controls on medical data. If you're in the US handling and ePHI data, you may have hosed up and broke the law 45 CFR § 164.312(a)(2)(iii), specifically.

If your company bills medicare and medicaid for the services provided using these machines, and contracts with them attest to meeting those cybersecurity requirements, then requests for payment since you made those changes could now be False Claims and subject to triple damages + minimum $5500 fine for each claim for payment. I am not your lawyer but if you're in the US handling ePHI data, you should undo that poo poo immediately and self report.

And also not purposefully undermine security controls because they're inconvenient.

They all work from home, are older women who live alone, and aren't leaving the desk; the kvm being switched to the radiology machine means there's no input going to the acute care machine, causing them to lose access to seeing the chart. I did clear it with IS before implementing it, but thanks for being concerned!

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I did a stupid personality test today to tell me what my weaknesses are, as per our company's four "goals". My lowest score by far was in "Ambition".

Bitch, I used to be a phone jockey, now I get paid to edit documents in Word and not talk to customers. Why in gently caress would I want to be a manager or give up this sweet ride? Leave me alone, I'm happy here.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ChickenDoodle posted:

I did a stupid personality test today to tell me what my weaknesses are, as per our company's four "goals". My lowest score by far was in "Ambition".

Bitch, I used to be a phone jockey, now I get paid to edit documents in Word and not talk to customers. Why in gently caress would I want to be a manager or give up this sweet ride? Leave me alone, I'm happy here.

You don't wanna be a people leader?!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
There is a huge amount of disrespect in white collar jobs for folks that find their niche and want to stay there.

Like, I've discussed moving over to the experimental mfg team because I have a ton of machining background and got the feedback "do you want to go backwards, or forward at this company?"

I just want to do a job that I have some passion for, drat. I don't give a gently caress about squeeking 400 more cycles out of a part. If I was running a team making poo poo the world has never seen before, now that's cool.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

There is a huge amount of disrespect in white collar jobs for folks that find their niche and want to stay there.
It is and I've never understood this mindset.

Give me a field tech who knows his poo poo, regularly passes our government-mandated drug tests, who's fine with staying a field tech? I'm thrilled and doing everything I reasonably can to keep them happy because that means I don't need to hassle with finding a new field tech and training them from scratch.

Don't get me wrong, I will fully support anybody who wants to get promoted...but I'm sure as poo poo not upset when competent staff want to stay in their roles.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang I thought we were supposed to do the “hello” thing in chat before asking a question. In my dept people can’t take the two seconds needed to update a shared calendar about if they are available, not even for little stuff like dr visit but multi-week vacations, so I don’t want to ask a question to a ghost.

It's perfectly fine to say hello, just carry on and ask the question too.

GOOD:
10:00:00 Hello Coxy
10:00:05 Did you get that thing I sent you?
10:30:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

BAD
10:30:00 > Hi Hyrax, what's up
10:45:00 Did you get that thing I sent you?
11:00:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

(I wouldn't actually ever even respond to a hello.)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

~Coxy posted:

It's perfectly fine to say hello, just carry on and ask the question too.

GOOD:
10:00:05 Did you get that thing I sent you?
10:30:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

BAD
10:30:00 > Hi Hyrax, what's up
10:45:00 Did you get that thing I sent you?
11:00:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

(I wouldn't actually ever even respond to a hello.)

This.

I dont care what your status is, im going to ask my question / give my answer. When you deal with that is up to you.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I like to say hello back and ask how they're doing as they're typing their question because a lot of people will stop whatever they were typing to say they're doing well first, lmao

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The session sour milkshake IPA I made half out of cynicism and half on what my bosses wanted is really popular. Arg! It's a loving pain to make and there's so much loving loss from the fruit and dry hopping. It's also everything I hate about craft beer. I get you gotta stop the pigs but drat.

Now if they could actually figure out how to get me enough cold storage and take care of the mouse problem I could actually be closer to full production.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

This work chat stuff is so weird and passive agressive. Reminds me of the last time place I worked. Six loving Line groups for a small brew pub. Great early warning sign.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I understand very little of your beer-mans jargon, but I do very much understand "ugh gently caress this poo poo" and encourage you to post more of it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

You need to develop your team so that you can offload non- management duties to them when you're gone. If you can't do that officially, get a deputy.

I have 3-5 folks on my team that I can delegate my workload to when I'm out. I just need to give them a plan and then catch up with them when I get back. The only critical things are new requests and risks being realized.

What are the issues that commonly re-occur when you're out that only you can handle? Can you empower anyone on the team to handle them while you're out? If not, who is in your way? Kill them.

Also, you're a manager, you can never have a 0 workload, you need to manage your near term and long term to-do lists and communicate the expectations to management. The goal is to have a sustainable workload.

VVV: while simultaneously doing that. People management sucks. Project management rules. Directors/vps/c levels don't do anything but bullshit with eachother in echo chambers. That's the goal.

Yeah no poo poo. I've literally screamed at my board that I need them to gently caress off and leave me alone so I can get on top of deadlines long enough to find time to train my existing staff and hire someone and train them to take tasks off my hands. But it takes time to do that. And we're really tight and backlogged on deadlines at the moment so it takes longer than it normally would to build enough slack in my pipeline to find and train someone. They literally promised me they'd back off for a month so I can do this and showed an incredible amount of self restraint by waiting 10 days before pilling poo poo on me again. It's pathological.

I'm going to inform them they've hit the point of repercussions and every single email I recive from them for a week will be deleted unread regardless of urgency. Any complaints and it goes up to two weeks. If something critical happens that's on them. Further complaints and they can watch everything I've built over the last two years come crashing down when I gently caress off to a 50% pay raise with cushy mining job. It's immature as hell but I'm at the end of my rope.

:moments:

Batterypowered7 posted:

You need to fail upward into a different managerial position with fewer responsibilities.

I'm at the top. There is literally nowhere to go but quit.

The best thing is at our latest board meeting almost every member put down 'staff burnout' as their main concern but I guess it's impossible not to jam your dick in the hornets nest.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

The session sour milkshake IPA I made half out of cynicism and half on what my bosses wanted is really popular. Arg! It's a loving pain to make and there's so much loving loss from the fruit and dry hopping. It's also everything I hate about craft beer. I get you gotta stop the pigs but drat.

Now if they could actually figure out how to get me enough cold storage and take care of the mouse problem I could actually be closer to full production.

Why would anyone want to drink an IPA when they could have a nice stout instead? smh

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I understand very little of your beer-mans jargon, but I do very much understand "ugh gently caress this poo poo" and encourage you to post more of it

I sorta knew this would happen. People like sweet garbage. Basically it's a beer that's based on this Osaka drink called mix juice which is a canned peaches, apple, banana, and condensed milk smoothie/shake thing. I made something similar at another brewery I used to work at and it was popular so these folks wanted something similar.

It's about 3.5% and tart from lactic acid, but uses a double dry hop like a hazy IPA, has peach and apple puree, and uses lactose which isn't fermentable and adds sweetness. I don't like lactose in beer generally. Not even in milk stout. Personal preference and I'm probably a huge snob. I'm also a weirdo who likes Belgian styles a lot which aren't big sellers.

:siren: Rambling Explanation About Beer Stuff:siren:
This beer is just such a Frankensteined together mess. I've simplified the brew day by switching from kettle souring, which is when you have gotten your sugary liquid off the malt and instead of boiling that, adding hops, and moving over to the fermentation tank as you normally would, you pitch a lactobacillus starter which creates lactic acid, let it sour the liquid, then boil as per normal. Boiling kills the lactobacillus culture so you don't contaminate your equipment (if it takes hold in your hoses, tanks, etc you can't clean it out and your beer will all become sour). I switched over to a newer yeast called Philly sour which is a yeast that safely produces lactic acid in the beer for five days, them begins alcohol production. I've also learned you can cut the lactic acid production early by pitching another yeast, which I was planning to do already, but allows me more control over how tart the beer gets. General feedback was in was a bit tart. The thing is now after the brew day I need to monitor the beer and figure out when to add the second yeast, then wait a few days so fermentation has taken off so I can add the fruit purees and the first dry hop. Another issue is that my tanks are tall and thin and my sample port is pretty low so if I try to pull samples after adding the fruit and dry hop with this beer I get a graduated cylinder full of fruit and hops slurry that's too thick to measure with a hydrometer, so I don't have a way of reliably confirming fermentation has finished so I'm just going to wait two weeks from the second yeast addition and lower the temp which will get the detris to settle down to the bottom a bit better so I can dump the yeast/hop/fruit from the bottom, take a sample and do the second dry hop. Then I need to drop the temperature further for two more days, then cold crash to around 2℃, dump from the bottom again so I can package, then carbonate the tank, then bottle. Just a lot of little timing things.

I'm slowly getting more used to this place. Dealing with the corporate structure and absolutely glacial pace is really frustrating sometimes. Needing approval from the head office for everything gets old. I'm still annoyed about the lack of cold storage. I pointed it out as an issue over two years ago and was told they were working something out. Still nothing so I can only brew two beers at a time at most, but they're also selling our beer to other restaurants the company owns and I just don't think I have the volume for that. Even if I could fill all six tanks that'd be a stretch.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Why would anyone want to drink an IPA when they could have a nice stout instead? smh

Because craft beer=IPA and every new trend is an IPA. At this point it's more of a marketing term than an actual style. I know a guy who has a small pub near Tokyo. He had a pale ale and sales weren't great so he started calling it an IPA and suddenly he was selling out of it.

People do love pastry stouts though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
This is probably a dumb suggestion but can you install another sample port on your tanks further up and would that help?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

This is probably a dumb suggestion but can you install another sample port on your tanks further up and would that help?

Not really. I'd have to somehow punch a hole through two layers of stainless steel, where glycolic is stored in between and somehow sanitary weld a port midway up. Welders who can do sanitary welds aren't cheap. Neither is stainless. That'd probably cost a ton and take the tank offline for a while because you'd probably have to drain the glycol. I'd have to do it for probably all of my tanks as well because during production you use whatever tank is available. It just wouldn't be worth it. If I found there was an issue with fermentation after dumping the yeast and fruit there are probably cheaper and easier workarounds like pitching more yeast or something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh wait, I've got it: Tip the tanks upside down so the port is at the top.

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Oh wait, I've got it: Tip the tanks upside down so the port is at the top.

You're welcome.

I'll get the ceiling winch.