Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

You got this! My best advice for these types of exams is to do a shitload of practice questions, and read the rationals. That may help you get in the right mindset. Some creative google searches may turn up free resources for those practice questions.

I think gaining 9 percentage points is absolutely doable next time.

I believe the scoring is out of 1000, and 700 to pass.

Oh it looked like that meant 614/700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Anyone got a quick snappy way to get mentally subnetting without paper down? It's basically my last barrier for the CCNA and I just can't internalize looking at a network range and mask and pulling out a host/subnet count.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 16, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The best method, that worked for me at least, was the "magic number" method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jMFufqMgY

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Quoting to find later.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Seconding this. It rules.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Famethrowa posted:

Anyone got a quick snappy way to get mentally subnetting without paper down? It's basically my last barrier for the CCNA and I just can't internalize looking at a network range and mask and pulling out a host/subnet count.

Practice helps too. I spent a lot of time on Subnetting Questions before my CCNA.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jedi425 posted:

Practice helps too. I spent a lot of time on Subnetting Questions before my CCNA.

Oh that's a real neat resource. Also quoting for later. Thank you!

I've taken 5 networking classes but unfortunately my professors pointed me towards subnet calculators so now I'm suffering for it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
That's a good video but I feel like people stress out too much thought into subnetting , especially for the exams. I've seen bootcamps that dedicate a whole day to the topic.

You can memorize 2^n (2^n - 2 for host counts) ... or just remember /8, /16, /24 (which represent 255.0.0.0, 255.255.0.0, and 255.255.255.0), and repeatedly dividing 256 by 2.

That's all you need to know.

You have a 10.10.10.0 /27? That's 3 higher than 24. Divide 256 by 2 three times (128, 64, 32). Your network IDs are 10.10.10.0, 10.10.10.32. 10.10.10.64. 10.10.10.96, and so on until 10.10.10.224.

Your useable host count is -2. So for a /27 (which is 32), you can have up to 30 hosts. The first one is the net ID, the last IP is the broadcast. So in the network 10.10.10.32 /27, your netID is 10.10.10.32, your useable host IPs are 10.10.10.33 - 10.10.10.62, your broadcast is 10.10.10.63.

If you are given the subnet mask instead of CIDR notation, it's even easier. 10.20.30.0 255.255.255.128? Subtract the last non 255 from 256. 256-128 = 128. You have two subnets with network IDs of 10.20.30.0 and 10.20.30.128. Apply the same logic as above to determine useable hosts and broadcasts.

(There's two exceptions to the useable IP range, /31 and /32. IOS-XE has supported the use of /31 for point to point links for a while now, despite that the -2 to calculate usable hosts suggests it can't be done. /32 can be used for loopback addresses.)

edit- slight correction the quick host count only works for /24 and higher, anything lower you'll just have to multiple instead of divide. so /23 is 512 - 2, /22 is 1024 - 2, ect.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 17, 2022

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
In my experience, you’ll have one of three types of subnetting questions on the test.

The first is a picture of a network diagram with two hosts that can not communicate with each other. One of the four choices is “they are on different subnets” and after looking at the diagram again, you determine that it the correct answer.

The second is a question asking which IPs are on the same subnet, typically in a “select multiple” format. This is all about knowing the useable host range.

The third is asking you to take a network and divide it up into multiple subnets for a specific network/host count. Such as you are given 10.10.10.0 /24 and asked to divide it up so you have 7 useable networks with at least 29 available host IP. 25 will give you 2 subnets, /26 will give you 4, /27 will give you 8 (doubling as you go) with a useable range of 30 (as explained in the previous post).

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cyks posted:

That's a good video but I feel like people stress out too much thought into subnetting , especially for the exams. I've seen bootcamps that dedicate a whole day to the topic.

You can memorize 2^n (2^n - 2 for host counts) ... or just remember /8, /16, /24 (which represent 255.0.0.0, 255.255.0.0, and 255.255.255.0), and repeatedly dividing 256 by 2.

That's all you need to know.

You have a 10.10.10.0 /27? That's 3 higher than 24. Divide 256 by 2 three times (128, 64, 32). Your network IDs are 10.10.10.0, 10.10.10.32. 10.10.10.64. 10.10.10.96, and so on until 10.10.10.224.

Your useable host count is -2. So for a /27 (which is 32), you can have up to 30 hosts. The first one is the net ID, the last IP is the broadcast. So in the network 10.10.10.32 /27, your netID is 10.10.10.32, your useable host IPs are 10.10.10.33 - 10.10.10.62, your broadcast is 10.10.10.63.

If you are given the subnet mask instead of CIDR notation, it's even easier. 10.20.30.0 255.255.255.128? Subtract the last non 255 from 256. 256-128 = 128. You have two subnets with network IDs of 10.20.30.0 and 10.20.30.128. Apply the same logic as above to determine useable hosts and broadcasts.

(There's two exceptions to the useable IP range, /31 and /32. IOS-XE has supported the use of /31 for point to point links for a while now, despite that the -2 to calculate usable hosts suggests it can't be done. /32 can be used for loopback addresses.)

edit- slight correction the quick host count only works for /24 and higher, anything lower you'll just have to multiple instead of divide. so /23 is 512 - 2, /22 is 1024 - 2, ect.

Quoting so I can find it again when I’m not half in the bag

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Famethrowa posted:

Why do you need to be able to do it without paper? You can make notes during the CCNA.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Quoting to remember myself

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Scheduled my CySA+ for this Sunday. wheee :sweatdrop:

Planning to skip the sim questions until last. Anyone who's taken this recently have tips for a sweaty goon?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'm taking the az-400 on Monday. I've already passed the az-204. I've completed the Microsoft learn courses, but practice tests are all over the map. How difficult is this test and are there any practice tests worth a drat?

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 10, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

guppy posted:

Why do you need to be able to do it without paper? You can make notes during the CCNA.

Im hearing pearson vue (atleast the ones in my neck of the woods in georgia) isn't allowing scratch sheets of paper anymore (both physical and online)

maybe the guy who told me was just being a dick or something? Kinda need an elaboration here

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with the online testing? I'm trying to get my A+ before the new version comes out, and all my local testing centers are closed for the entirety of Ramadan.

Looking at a career change, and figured A+ and N+ would at least get my foot in the door.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I took the net+ online a couple months ago. A little before the scheduled time you check in on the app, they ask you to take a few pictures of the testing area, then you wait in a queue. They call you to test your microphone and camera. I had an issue where they couldn't hear me so they said to restart the app and they bumped me back to the front of the queue.

It was a pretty painless process. The rules of what you can't do are pretty clearly defined. (no talking, no mouthing words, eyes glued to the screen) I think there was a way to take digital notes inside the app but I don't remember.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
I passed! It was easier than I expected... Security+ felt harder to me.

A couple of the performance questions were weird, notably one was an awkward "help desk" simulation that expected you to close out a ticket based on some pretty non-conclusive findings. Hot topics were: software development best practices, log analysis and incident response.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Congratulations!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Professor Latency posted:

I took the net+ online a couple months ago. A little before the scheduled time you check in on the app, they ask you to take a few pictures of the testing area, then you wait in a queue. They call you to test your microphone and camera. I had an issue where they couldn't hear me so they said to restart the app and they bumped me back to the front of the queue.

It was a pretty painless process. The rules of what you can't do are pretty clearly defined. (no talking, no mouthing words, eyes glued to the screen) I think there was a way to take digital notes inside the app but I don't remember.

I almost got disqualified on my last test for talking to myself. It was very frustrating.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Im hearing pearson vue (atleast the ones in my neck of the woods in georgia) isn't allowing scratch sheets of paper anymore (both physical and online)

maybe the guy who told me was just being a dick or something? Kinda need an elaboration here

i live in philly, pa ,and can confirm the in-app "whiteboard" is still a thing. it's not great, but its a notepad to dump stuff in.

another gripe: it really stings my buns that you can't zoom resolution within the app

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

suicide4sexbots posted:

I passed! It was easier than I expected... Security+ felt harder to me.

A couple of the performance questions were weird, notably one was an awkward "help desk" simulation that expected you to close out a ticket based on some pretty non-conclusive findings. Hot topics were: software development best practices, log analysis and incident response.

Congrats!

Coming from a data analyst background, I was sweating that Security+. I passed but not by much.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I passed the az-400 :toot:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I passed the az-400 :toot:

Sweet! Any general thoughts on the exam?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Sweet! Any general thoughts on the exam?

The Microsoft learn courses were pretty adequate at preparing me. As long as you read the details of the case study questions you can usually parse out the right answer. they throw some weird product knowledge at you that you just have to know. like a Maven Java Development command you have to run type of poo poo, which is just dumb.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Congrats!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
at risk of getting embarrassed, i passed my first Cert with ITF+ FC0-U61:unsmith:

CertMaster is fantastic for someone like me who needs to know why a particular answer to a question is wrong. Would anyone happen to know an equivalent type of Pratice Exam system for Cisco?

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

at risk of getting embarrassed, i passed my first Cert with ITF+ FC0-U61:unsmith:

CertMaster is fantastic for someone like me who needs to know why a particular answer to a question is wrong. Would anyone happen to know an equivalent type of Pratice Exam system for Cisco?

Congrats!

If you mean for the CCNA, I bought the Boson practice exam desktop app (and it was well worth it imo).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

suicide4sexbots posted:

Congrats!

If you mean for the CCNA, I bought the Boson practice exam desktop app (and it was well worth it imo).

Boson is really really great.

and ymmv on the style (he's a little cringe), but this youtuber is doing a pretty great CCNA course sponsored by Boson. He does a couple sample questions at the end of every video which have been amazing to refresh with. He has a coupon deal too if you want Boson.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhvC56v63IJVXv0GJcl9vO5Z6znCVb1P

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

suicide4sexbots posted:

Congrats!

Famethrowa posted:

Boson is really really great.

and ymmv on the style (he's a little cringe), but this youtuber is doing a pretty great CCNA course sponsored by Boson. He does a couple sample questions at the end of every video which have been amazing to refresh with. He has a coupon deal too if you want Boson.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhvC56v63IJVXv0GJcl9vO5Z6znCVb1P

Thank the both of you. passing this thing has kinda lit a proverbial fire under my rear end getting me interested in Certs (as an actual, tangible goal that can be achieved rather than merely observed).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I took the Cisco ENSDWI 300-415 (SD-WAN) exam and failed it of course. The weird thing is, I didn't get a simple grade number at the end like in previous Cisco tests I've taken. Instead it gave me a breakdown of the 6 different skill areas and and a percentage number for each. So I'm not sure how exactly the overall grade is scored I was thinking maybe they average the score from the 6 areas but I think that would only work if you got the same amount of questions for each? And if that is the case then drat you could fail after only getting a few of the questions wrong.

Does anyone know how this works now?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

is the AWS practitioner cert like Cisco A+ tier? Should it be skipped for Solutions Architect?

Sorry if this was covered recently, I just watched like 5 hours of Pluralsight practitioner stuff today at work and it seems very superficial.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

It’s more like a primer for sales to memorize which services there are and what they do. Very little value for engineers but if your job pays for it you could take it as a warm up for the CSAA exam.

It can easily be done in a week.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey folks - I received a request to update the OP with more current information, since a lot of this is out of date. I moved into ~management~ about 4 years ago and haven't been as focused on certs (other than some cloud-based stuff I'm currently working on), so I'd appreciate it if the community could provide the latest and greatest. Feel free to PM me and I'll update each section accordingly.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Question: is going to school for IT worth it? I have the GI Bill burning a hole in my pocket, and am looking for a career change. Would I go for a CompSci degree, or is there something more suitable?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

Question: is going to school for IT worth it? I have the GI Bill burning a hole in my pocket, and am looking for a career change. Would I go for a CompSci degree, or is there something more suitable?

GI Bill is fuckin dope. You don't want to have a summer gap in your cash flow check out Vet Tech for a 2 month bootcamp. So many people also convert their GI Bill to Vocational Rehab, I didn't, but it seems like you get more if you do. Best of luck and holler at your schools VA office for test vouchers.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Devorum posted:

I have a ton of veteran classmates in my comp sci program. If you have mostly free college available, and can afford the time to go, I think it can only help you. There's a lot of on-campus support for Veterans at my college, with networking (not CCNA) and counseling services specifically for them.

I am not a veteran, but I went back to school as an adult. I started with a general IT degree and found it too development focused, so I moved to the Cybersecurity degree path, which is a mix of Networking (CCNA this time), Fundamentals of Programming, CompSci, and Infosec topics. I feel like it has gone a long way in my learning and knowledge, and I don't regret a minute of it.

That said, it has been a long path. My career change took 4 years, a lot of work, and determination. It seems to be paying off with an upcoming Internship, but it took a lot of grinding. Wouldn't change it for the world, it's my biggest accomplishment in life, but if you are working full-time it can be brutal.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 27, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Devorum posted:

Depends on what part of IT you want to get into. "IT" is very broad. CompSci is great if you want to be a software engineer/programmer, but a lot of the IT Infrastructure/Operational stuff like managing servers, networks, cloud is more like a skilled trade than something you need a CompSci degree for. Most computer science degrees focus on theory and programming, not the day to day IT management tasks.

Also consider things like Project Management, Scrum/Agile training, things like that.

I started out with the Microsoft training path at a community college 20 years ago and that worked for me. I'm a huge fan of community college programs when it comes to IT training.

I'm not a huge fan of bootcamps, but they can work for some people. They don't suit my learning style really.

Cloud and Information Security are the two hot markets right now. If you hold a TS clearance and can get a few security certifications you can pretty much write your own ticket. Same for project management.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Depends on what part of IT you want to get into. "IT" is very broad. CompSci is great if you want to be a software engineer/programmer, but a lot of the IT Infrastructure/Operational stuff like managing servers, networks, cloud is more like a skilled trade than something you need a CompSci degree for. Most computer science degrees focus on theory and programming, not the day to day IT management tasks.

Also consider things like Project Management, Scrum/Agile training, things like that.

I started out with the Microsoft training path at a community college 20 years ago and that worked for me. I'm a huge fan of community college programs when it comes to IT training.

I'm not a huge fan of bootcamps, but they can work for some people. They don't suit my learning style really.

Cloud and Information Security are the two hot markets right now. If you hold a TS clearance and can get a few security certifications you can pretty much write your own ticket. Same for project management.

Leaning more toward operational stuff or cybersecurity. I was the Cyber/Infosec rep for my squadron for a couple of years and while it's not nearly as involved as a dedicated CS job on the outside, I enjoyed what I experienced of it.

Unfortunately, my Secret clearance lapsed a couple of years ago. I've been out for a few years, I'm just beyond tired of my current career field and need a change. I've been doing basic IT infrastructure and operation stuff most of my life as a side hustle, so it seems like a natural path to take. I'm taking my A+ tests soon, but I really don't want to let my GI Bill go to waste. Using it also gives me some breathing room between my current job and finding a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't waste the money on the A+ exams personally. Cyber/InfoSec is a pretty hot job market right now. I'd look into that sort of a degree field.

I work for a 4 letter company focused on providing financial products for military members... if you ever see a job you're interested in there and want a referral let me know

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 27, 2022