Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RareAcumen posted:

Kratos what do you mean you fell in the River Styx and lost your swords? You loving klutz, you can't hold onto poo poo between games. What are you, MegaMan?

hey now let’s be fair, in mega man legends 2 you start from scratch because roll stole all of your poo poo and pawned it

not like our entire livelihood is based on killing robots in dangerous ruins or anything, probably wasn’t going to need that fully upgraded shining laser anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why It Is Bad Worldbuilding That Mega Man Does Not Start Mega Man 11 With 100 Weapons

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Just say it's a new mega man every time and he's a rookie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

hey now let’s be fair, in mega man legends 2 you start from scratch because roll stole all of your poo poo and pawned it

not like our entire livelihood is based on killing robots in dangerous ruins or anything, probably wasn’t going to need that fully upgraded shining laser anyway

poo poo, I didn't even think about the spin-offs, I was just thinking of normal run and gun iconic jumping MegaMan. But now that you mention it, yeah that was also a reoccuring Battle Network problem as well!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When I first started out I was just a mega boy,

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why It Is Bad Worldbuilding That Mega Man Does Not Start Mega Man 11 With 100 Weapons

-a four hour youtube video

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not gonna like though if they could leave the established storytelling trappings of the series behind a high budget open world/Zelda-like Mega Man would probably own pretty hard.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Part of this is because crouching doesn’t lower your first person perspective at all, so if you’re trying to shoot from stealth you don’t have an accurate view of where your shots are coming from. although it can also happen while standing sometimes too.

That is... probably exactly what happened. Boy I love how the first-person view doesn't show me what my character sees when I'm trying to aim.

Rockman Reserve posted:

The deadly robots usually stay in the ruins. Debt collectors will hound you to the end of the earth, and it's still wrong to kill them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm trying to figure out how in the world a first person view could *not* change perspective with the character. Wouldn't it just not be first person at that point? I'm not sure what I'm not getting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm trying to figure out how in the world a first person view could *not* change perspective with the character. Wouldn't it just not be first person at that point? I'm not sure what I'm not getting.

The zoom button essentially fades out your character and moves the camera up to where your head normally is, but otherwise doesn’t pay attention to where your head actually is. it’s very basic but it generally worked in their previous games (which they copied it from) because those games did not have a crouch button.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ok gotcha. That just seems like a bonkers decision/oversight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not gonna like though if they could leave the established storytelling trappings of the series behind a high budget open world/Zelda-like Mega Man would probably own pretty hard.

Crackdown with MegaMan bosses

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Mega Man willingly deletes all of his weaponry between games so that he isn't tempted to use them and turn evil himself.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I liked in Horizon Forbidden West Aloy's buddy points out that she doesn't have all her poo poo from the first game and she just explains it away as "uh...it's been a rough few months I lost some poo poo ok". Even the armor she's wearing is a cannibalized version of the one you find near end game of HZD.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nioh has a slightly hilarious thing dragging it down due to it's difficulty. I got to the first fight with the shapeshifting tattoo wizard who is the main villain, but as I'd got stuck on the first two bosses for so long, I'd simply forgotten he existed.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Nioh has a slightly hilarious thing dragging it down due to it's difficulty. I got to the first fight with the shapeshifting tattoo wizard who is the main villain, but as I'd got stuck on the first two bosses for so long, I'd simply forgotten he existed.

Both the Nioh games have a problem with the primary antagonist being largely absent for huge swaths of the game. Which is a shame because the main baddies in both have cool designs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Philippe posted:

Use the bumpers to blink.

Alone in the Dark 08 had a mechanic that involved closing your character's eyes to see hidden stuff. So there was a blink button.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

muscles like this! posted:

Alone in the Dark 08 had a mechanic that involved closing your character's eyes to see hidden stuff. So there was a blink button.

I believe one of the SCP games had a blink button, as the beastie that's coming after you only moves when you aren't looking at it (like them things from Dr. Who).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Other way around, and that's what makes it a kind of brilliant game. The blink meter is a timer counting down until your next blink instead, and you can strain your eyes open longer via button hold only for a short time. You don't get to choose when you blink. This is critically important because that fuckin statue had better not be on your screen when you do, as your blinking is his movement cooldown! Blink while he has direct physical access to you and it's over, so you have to cautiously peek around corners being careful not to blink into a dark hallway he could be standing in. Opening a door while your blink meter is low could be lethal because the bastard could be on the other side, and some doors such as its own cell open VERY SLOWLY on purpose to require two people to trade off blinks while watching for it.

Sadly in practice the game surrounding this mechanic is half baked. But what a great way to turn a person's automatic sensory movement against them.

Edit: finding vantages through which you can get a look at the thing, like through windows or on camera footage, is a cool aspect of it. Staring it down and knowing that it can't get you is triumphant but provides no solace, it's like seeing pyramid head on the other side of some iron bars. I just wish any of these SCP games were in any way finished instead of just being MP sandboxes where an SCP kills you before you hit E on stuff.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Mar 16, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Those SCP guards are fools. Just close one eye, then the other, using successive alternating winks to maintain proper eyeball moisture without closing both eyes at the same time.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In Final Fantasy Origin you get loads of equipment and it leads to such clutter. You can break down items into base materials but all that lets you do is upgrade skills on your equipment, which you’ll drop for better equipment a mission later

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

Mario, Link, Kirby, Persona and Fighting Game protagonists, Pokemon, Bayonetta, Travis Touchdown and Dante are possibly the only characters to not get nerfed every new game.

Batman kept most of his poo poo between the Arkham games, though that had the side effect of Arkham Knight Batman having almost too much poo poo available from the get-go.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

In Final Fantasy Origin you get loads of equipment and it leads to such clutter. You can break down items into base materials but all that lets you do is upgrade skills on your equipment, which you’ll drop for better equipment a mission later

It's an insane amount of trash loot. Especially since the most common complaint I saw about the Nioh games was "too much trash loot". And yeah, there's not really anything worthwhile to do with it.

It's also odd that some gear is character specific. Like Jack can wear anything, which makes sense since he's the PC, but for some reason Ash can wear this specific kind of black jeans but not this kind that Jed can wear. I don't really get it, but at least your party members' gear is pretty unimportant, at least so far.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RareAcumen posted:

'Oh boy I sure am excited to play as Leon S. Kennedy again! It's been a whole game since we saw him! This is gonna be a cakewalk, I've got a magnum, 5 grenades a shotgun, a rocket launcher any LEON WHAT HAPPENED?!'

There’s a semi-canon comic about RE4 where Leon has to choose between his arsenal from RE2 or that bomb-rear end jacket and he chooses the jacket.

He made the right choice.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Anything a character was holding or wearing at the end of a Resident Evil game was probably confiscated for decontamination/sterilization because of all the time they spent hip-deep in biohazardous material.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

sounds like the game has a lot in common with nioh. hopefully the clutter is still something you can skip past as "just put on whatever has the biggest numbers" until NG+ when itemization becomes an actual feature to care about. assuming the game has NG+ like nioh

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - too much gameplay;) specifically, there are three modes of gameplay:
- running around looking for a specific shape in the environment (no threat, there's a hint if you're near, but it's distance based, so you may very well on the other side of a wall, while still seeing the hint)
- running away towards something while being chased by the one-hit kill danger (obvious threat, but if you know the way, it's just a running segment)
- combat (difficulty can be set, and while it's dynamic and the animations are great, it's also really basic and every enemy have an obvious counter, so it's not complicated).

It's a really pretty game, the voice acting is great, with headphones on the voices the main character hears are really intrusive and the story is interesting - but I could live with less running around running looking for hidden shapes. It would be a great interactive experience, merging the sounds, controller input, vibrations and graphics together.

Oh well, still a good game:)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Is there a loot filter? In Nioh you could set it to not be able to pick up items below certain rarity, so while they still dropped, you'd just ignore them and not have to fish them out from the mountain of new loot.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I find the plot of Nioh games very hard to understand, I think partly because they assume more background knowledge of Japanese history than I actually have

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Szurumbur posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - too much gameplay;) specifically, there are three modes of gameplay:
- running around looking for a specific shape in the environment (no threat, there's a hint if you're near, but it's distance based, so you may very well on the other side of a wall, while still seeing the hint)
- running away towards something while being chased by the one-hit kill danger (obvious threat, but if you know the way, it's just a running segment)
- combat (difficulty can be set, and while it's dynamic and the animations are great, it's also really basic and every enemy have an obvious counter, so it's not complicated).

It's a really pretty game, the voice acting is great, with headphones on the voices the main character hears are really intrusive and the story is interesting - but I could live with less running around running looking for hidden shapes. It would be a great interactive experience, merging the sounds, controller input, vibrations and graphics together.

Oh well, still a good game:)

I tried the game a couple years ago, and while I really liked the look, sound, and atmosphere, I never really enjoyed the gameplay and stopped playing. It's too bad, because it does have a nice feel to it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

jjack229 posted:

I tried the game a couple years ago, and while I really liked the look, sound, and atmosphere, I never really enjoyed the gameplay and stopped playing. It's too bad, because it does have a nice feel to it.

I agree, there were segments where only my curiosity made me begrudginly stay with the game - thankfully it's also rather short, so even though it's tedious at times, I know I make steady progress.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Qwertycoatl posted:

I find the plot of Nioh games very hard to understand, I think partly because they assume more background knowledge of Japanese history than I actually have

Can't remember anything from Nioh 1, but I think Nioh 2 was just a bunch of Japanese historical landmarks that your character is present at and also there were demons involved in them. Was there even a connecting thread between them aside from your character's presence?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

sounds like the game has a lot in common with nioh. hopefully the clutter is still something you can skip past as "just put on whatever has the biggest numbers" until NG+ when itemization becomes an actual feature to care about. assuming the game has NG+ like nioh

Gear often has job affinity, and if you raise up the affinity on a job you get stats/abilities at certain breakpoints. It’s similar to Nioh but it’s a lot more freeform in the way you’d expect of a Final Fantasy with a job system

Szurumbur posted:

Is there a loot filter? In Nioh you could set it to not be able to pick up items below certain rarity, so while they still dropped, you'd just ignore them and not have to fish them out from the mountain of new loot.

There is, although it’s hidden in the menus

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

jjack229 posted:

Yeah, I felt the same way. I really wanted to like it, but ultimately just didn't stick with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If you put me in front of a system, put a controller in my hands for a game where a naked dude with a club was fighting a big monster and told me to figure out which souls game it was based only on the combat, I could not with a gun to my head, after playing a bunch of Elden Ring I'm just feeling like the combat has barely evolved through the series, if at all. Bloodborne had rallying, at least, Sekiro obviously was its own thing, but Elden Ring has...well, jumping I guess. I feel like I'm really burning out on this kind of combat after playing through every game in the series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The big change Elden Ring has is the Ashes of War system that lets you add abilities to weapons. Dark Souls 3 had a similar thing but I don't believe you could actually mix and match them, you were just stuck with what the weapon came with.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

DS2 added powerstancing, Bloodborne upped the speed, added rallying, added gun parrying, and got rid of shields, and DS3 replaced powerstancing with specific paired weapons, added weapon arts, and ratcheted the speed up to be closer to Bloodborne. Elden Ring added mounted combat, jump attacks, guard counters, ashes of war, and a bunch of other stuff. There’s been a consistent evolution throughout the series, it’s just that if they made really big changes it probably wouldn’t feel like Dark Souls anymore. The core combat is what people come for, after all

And this is glossing over a lot of more minor changes like how backstabbing works, the magic system, pvp, etc

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dewgy posted:

Batman kept most of his poo poo between the Arkham games, though that had the side effect of Arkham Knight Batman having almost too much poo poo available from the get-go.

And even then they awkwardly stripped out a couple of things and stashed them away such that the player can easily miss them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Elden Ring's camera is so bad it is making me actively not want to play the game anymore. It obsessively follows your guy's eyeline and snaps back to it if you so much as let off the stick, which is really great to have in an open world game where stuff can happen at you from any direction. Why does the camera swing around drunkly like Lakitu is following me dangling it on a fishing line? Why does it drag along the ground like a ball and chain when I go up hills in a game that's 100% ascending large hills? Why does it point skyward at nothing when I go down hills unless I constantly babysit it? What is this AWFUL stair stepping thing it does if you touch the stick while changing height?? Just pin it above your guy's head!! You've had 13 years to do this!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The large stone creature given life by soul energy: If you don't attack me right now I'm gonna fire this huge arrow into your stupid face.

The From Software camera: Observe this goat in a shrub, please