Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

dmboogie posted:

i like the way it feels to press buttons in the game idk man

dark souls 3 doesnt have anything as 'bad' as lost izalith quality-wise but the Ringed City areas are the most frustrated any souls game has made me (though at least the final boss there owns)

Curious if you played the game when it came out then did Ringed City later when the DLC launched or did it all at once. I did the former, and after having beat the game a couple times already I didn't really mind the insane bullshit kaizo gauntlet stuff and thought it was a nice challenge, but I bet if I picked up the game after launch and went straight from the base game to Ringed City I'd be pretty shellshocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

goferchan posted:

Curious if you played the game when it came out then did Ringed City later when the DLC launched or did it all at once. I did the former, and after having beat the game a couple times already I didn't really mind the insane bullshit kaizo gauntlet stuff and thought it was a nice challenge, but I bet if I picked up the game after launch and went straight from the base game to Ringed City I'd be pretty shellshocked

i did it all at once yeah

i'd played a decent chunk of ds1 and ds2 over the years and thought they were cool, but never even got to their halfway points. ds3 was the first game in the series i actually beat, and where things finally started to click for me (and i eventually did go back and beat 1/2) but even then i'd co-oped most of the game with my friends so my skills weren't great

every single DLC area felt like a miserable slog for me, but The Ringed City was the absolute worst of it. it's been a while, though, so i wonder how i'd feel about them now that im a souls-head. i had a replay of ds3 going and juuuuuust beat the game and started Ashes before Elden Ring dropped lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Both areas are still a pretty big difficulty spike if you do them as soon as they're available -- Cathedral of the Deep ---> Ashes is an insane jump, lol. Feel like they're better left until you're in Lothric Castle or something for a first playthrough and even then they're no joke

edit: Not that the game indicates this aside from your rear end getting kicked there, naturally. It's just one of those series things you kind of learn after a while, usually any expansion content is accessible pretty early in-run for people who want the challenge. In previous games it was generally kind of out of the way and not something you'd find unless you went looking for it, but in DS3 if you're playing the complete edition for the first time there's not really any indication that going to the Ashes area isn't just some normal side zone

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 16, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Elden Ring is fascinating to me because as someone who's played and beaten all Souls games (and Bloodborne) multiple times, many enemies and bosses are immediately recognizable in terms of movesets but with just enough changes or alterations to gently caress with me. Like they even have a loving Capra fight in there as an optional boss.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have an Xbox Elite Controller. I see that Steam claims to have a custom driver for it which allows for binding of the paddles on the back of the controller.

However, when I am in Steam's controller configurator, I do not see an option to bind anything to a paddle press.

How do I bind the paddles? Is this possibly an issue where the Windows "Xbox Accessories" app (where you can also set up the controller) is conflicting with Steam and making me unable to bind the paddles?

Note that I am aware that the paddles can be bound to existing buttons on the Xbox controller using the Xbox Accessories app. For example, I could bind a paddle to be the same as the "A" button on the controller's face. This is not what I want. I want to bind a paddle to be a unique button - as if the controller had the usual A, B, X, Y, but also C, D, E, and F buttons. I know there's issues with Xinput which make this weird, and some people use rewasd's custom driver to do what I am trying to do, but I am hoping Steam has also written a custom driver I can use without having to purchase and fiddle with rewasd.

I know something weird is happening with the device because when I enter the Steam controller menu I can change the color of the controller's LED. This works fine, until I exit the menu. When I exit the menu the LED reverts back to its default teal color no matter what I do.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Rinkles posted:

I miss being able to filter with Steam's store tags in Playnite. The default genres are broad enough to be close to useless (changing the genre metadata source to Store instead of IGDB, doesn't help).

I'm pretty sure there's a plugin for that. Check the Playnite forums.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The writing in the Far Cry series is still mind-blowingly bad. I'm most of the way through new dawn and at this point I'd like to have a mod that deletes all the characters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The writing in the Far Cry series is still mind-blowingly bad. I'm most of the way through new dawn and at this point I'd like to have a mod that deletes all the characters.

Ubisoft.Txt

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Ubisoft.Txt

Maybe it's a tone problem with the main plot characters? They seem to have gotten separated from a serious game with emotionally resonant themes and somehow ended up in an open world sandbox shoot-em-up where nothing is supposed to make any sense. The characters that can fight alongside with you in the game are actually fine, because they get to spend all their time hurling dynamite and one-liners instead of awkwardly reading lines for cutscenes.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 16, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Maybe it's a tone problem the story characters? They seem to have gotten separated from a serious game with emotionally resonant themes and somehow ended up in an open world sandbox shoot-em-up where nothing is supposed to make any sense. The characters that can fight alongside with you in the game are actually fine, because they get to spend all their time hurling dynamite and one-liners instead of awkwardly reading lines for cutscenes.

I mean, when was the last time Ubisoft made a game with above average writing? I can't think of a single one.
Watch Dogs 2 was fairly entertaining but I don't think I'd even call that good writing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think there's always good writing in these large games tucked off into small corners.

It's usually when some writer gets to stretch some of the research they put into making the bad plot or does a bit of auto-critique.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, Watch Dogs 2 was incredibly surprising in how good it was in comparison with all of the other Ubisoft schlock. I'm still curious about what kind of miracle happened during the development.
Especially considering how the next WD game went right back to being trash. A huge step down in literally every department.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Got watchdog 2 for coop to discover too late it's a non campaign snoozefest of dull missions for that

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I would say most Ubi games have at the very least beautiful worlds and competent gameplay, but fall really flat with story and pacing. Ultimately what makes me consider a Ubi game as good rests on how much I like the protagonist, like Bayek

:swoon:
I had no problems spending dozens of hours with this sexy, sexy man.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

I would say most Ubi games have at the very least beautiful worlds and competent gameplay, but fall really flat with story and pacing. Ultimately what makes me consider a Ubi game as good rests on how much I like the protagonist, like Bayek

:swoon:
I had no problems spending dozens of hours with this sexy, sexy man.

Kassandra's voice actor was fantastic in Odyssey.

I find story to be entirely forgettable in every game except for BioShock. Sometimes I remember characters, Like Vaas or however the baddie's name was spelled in 3, but actual plot beats? Nuuuuupe.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have an Xbox Elite Controller. I see that Steam claims to have a custom driver for it which allows for binding of the paddles on the back of the controller.

However, when I am in Steam's controller configurator, I do not see an option to bind anything to a paddle press.

How do I bind the paddles? Is this possibly an issue where the Windows "Xbox Accessories" app (where you can also set up the controller) is conflicting with Steam and making me unable to bind the paddles?

Note that I am aware that the paddles can be bound to existing buttons on the Xbox controller using the Xbox Accessories app. For example, I could bind a paddle to be the same as the "A" button on the controller's face. This is not what I want. I want to bind a paddle to be a unique button - as if the controller had the usual A, B, X, Y, but also C, D, E, and F buttons. I know there's issues with Xinput which make this weird, and some people use rewasd's custom driver to do what I am trying to do, but I am hoping Steam has also written a custom driver I can use without having to purchase and fiddle with rewasd.

I know something weird is happening with the device because when I enter the Steam controller menu I can change the color of the controller's LED. This works fine, until I exit the menu. When I exit the menu the LED reverts back to its default teal color no matter what I do.

I don't have an Xbox Elite controller but in like 30 seconds looking I don't understand how you could possibly NOT be able to do this. Did you miss the Steam settings, in the regular Steam settings? Did you not restart like it tells you to?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Azran posted:

Elden Ring is fascinating to me because as someone who's played and beaten all Souls games (and Bloodborne) multiple times, many enemies and bosses are immediately recognizable in terms of movesets but with just enough changes or alterations to gently caress with me. Like they even have a loving Capra fight in there as an optional boss.

The most annoying part is they've given enemies a comical amount of delay on their attacks. Enemies hold their weapons or attacks up for so long before swinging, and it feels like it's specifically a gotcha for Souls veterans who know what i-frames are.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

The most annoying part is they've given enemies a comical amount of delay on their attacks. Enemies hold their weapons or attacks up for so long before swinging, and it feels like it's specifically a gotcha for Souls veterans who know what i-frames are.

Someone in the ER thread, I think it was, described the game as "having exactly 1 trick that it's so excited to show you, and that trick is the wind up being a second longer than you expect to bait the dodge" which has been pretty accurate even as a newcomer to From games. But I played a ton of MonHon in January and even relative to that everything does feel delayed

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Soul Glo posted:

Oh man, I recently finished Darksiders 3 and holy gently caress let me tell you Elden has nothing on DS when it comes to delayed attacks.
They're still obviously there to throw people off, but in Elden it feels like they're taking their time winding up the attack while in Darksiders 3 it felt like enemies would start an attack off fast and then delay it, if that makes sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And it should be said the delay is consistent so it’s pretty much a shake up, once you get used to it not much has changed other than you can get a few more punishes in if your feeling fiesty

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The MC in Far Cry 6, Dani, is super cool and decently written. But that's about it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Are you playing Far Cry 6? I thought it was laughable how the story is basically your character wanting to run away, then just deciding "eh, gently caress it, what's being a guerilla for a while gonna hurt"

Not even sure why you'd have a story at this point. Just drop me on an island and point me at dudes to kill.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

And it should be said the delay is consistent so it’s pretty much a shake up, once you get used to it not much has changed other than you can get a few more punishes in if your feeling fiesty

a lot of bosses actually have a few variations of timing on a move from the same tell. typically better to wait for the first frame your brain processes of downswing than try to predict it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Just drop me on an island and point me at dudes to kill.

Unironically :hmmyes:

speaking of which have you guys seen Exoprimal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awj40dMC_sA
"Dinosaur forecast" :allears:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Far Cry 6 going from a boatload of refugees dramatically getting gunned down to "here's your wacky animal pal, a gator in a soccer jersey" inside of like fifteen minutes is a real wild tonal shift. like I know these games are truly committed to lol that bear is a diabetic bits but space it out a little.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has anyone else been having a hell of a time trying to download updates via Steam last night into today? poo poo is going at a snail's pace so of course the patches that come out today are 10+ gigs.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jiro posted:

Has anyone else been having a hell of a time trying to download updates via Steam last night into today? poo poo is going at a snail's pace so of course the patches that come out today are 10+ gigs.

I was downloading some poo poo last night to test what works well on Steam Link and it was struggling, I chalked it up to Tuesday patch day oddities. Seems to be mostly fine this morning now.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has anyone else's Steam Link been having trouble turning off recently (past couple months or so)? I select the Turn Off system option either in big picture mode or on the base steam link menu and it does...nothing. this doesn't happen every time though, seemingly random

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I was downloading some poo poo last night to test what works well on Steam Link and it was struggling, I chalked it up to Tuesday patch day oddities. Seems to be mostly fine this morning now.

The PUBG patch, yes yes I know I still play it, was going nowhere fast, Krafton were aware of poo poo happening with Steam, and by 3 am CST it was supposedly fixed, been trying it and it's the same estimated time of 1 year to finish. Switched it over to Hunt: Showdown's 12 gig patch and it's sort of better in that speeds sometimes spike up to what my max is but relatively the same. Is there a page on steam that gives updates on the status of it's download servers?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tunic is finally out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/553420/TUNIC/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Reviews just went up and so far they are almost universally positive: https://opencritic.com/game/12888/tunic

$30 is fair for what sounds like a 15-25ish hour cool Zeldaish game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tunic is also on Gamepass FYI

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Any of you folks who pay attention to your Steam achievement showcase, anyone else noticing that some of their games aren’t counting any more?

Last time I checked a week ago, I had 106 games counting in my stats, and now it’s down to 103 :confused: And bizarrely if I do a manual count of my game with achievements, it’s still 106.

Steam is weird.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has anyone else's Steam Link been having trouble turning off recently (past couple months or so)? I select the Turn Off system option either in big picture mode or on the base steam link menu and it does...nothing. this doesn't happen every time though, seemingly random

I actually noticed the other day that mine hadn't gone to sleep the night before (I just walked away from it, as usual). But my problem over the last few months has been that if I have a Steam controller attached, the remote play session will rhythmically stutter and flash the red-bad-connection icon.

360 controller works fine, but I like the Steam controller :saddowns:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

repiv posted:

Awesome. I know people were speculating this would be announced but it’s cool to see it confirmed.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

repiv posted:

Nice!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hmm do i get tunic on gamepass or do i get it on steam. on ethe one hand, free, but on the other hand, i'v ebeen waiting for this game for many years and at this point it feels criminal to play it for free. also it might be an ideal steam deck game...

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

CYBEReris posted:

a lot of bosses actually have a few variations of timing on a move from the same tell. typically better to wait for the first frame your brain processes of downswing than try to predict it.

Literally the first big boss has at least one move that looks almost exactly the same except the one is delayed. The only difference that I've noticed later is that he two-hands his stick when he does the delayed version. I feel they started these veteran baits only in DS3. DS2 DLCs had a lot of bullshit but they hosed everyone universally :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Literally the first big boss has at least one move that looks almost exactly the same except the one is delayed. The only difference that I've noticed later is that he two-hands his stick when he does the delayed version. I feel they started these veteran baits only in DS3. DS2 DLCs had a lot of bullshit but they hosed everyone universally :v:

For the most part yes, with a lot of this in sekiro too. enemy jump attacks hang in the air unrealistically for an extra moment, attacks sometimes chain together into longer versions and sometimes don’t, similar-looking attacks have different delays like feinting, etc. Seems that after making the same game enough times they ran out of new ways to challenge themselves otherwise, so difficult fights now have a lot of fakeouts and gotchas. It’s not the worst way to add challenge but sometimes I miss the straightforwardness of the older games or remnant from the ashes, which mostly has very fair telegraphs with smooth predictable momentum, where getting hit really feels like a personal timing fuckup and not the result of misreading an animation that is designed to be misread

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Some of the bosses in Elden Ring have these ridiculous 7-9 hit combos which are so long that it's really not worth paying attention except to recognize "oh this is the silly one" and just learn the timing on the last swing so you can come in for the punish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you can do that but fights are going to be slow