Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
SoP hits all the right absurdist notes for me, much like Metal Gear Rising did. I'm butts deep in Elden Ring probably for forever, but I plan on picking SoP up next (whenever that may be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I really like SoP BUT the bosses are loving stupid and unfair and really bring the game down from greatness level.

This is aimed at Tiamat who has bullshit moves that can one shot you.

Which gets me to my main problem with this game:

Blocking and that whole system seems to make no sense. When you block you get a hit to health and your break meter. That's pointless. There's also no real tell about what moves are blockable and what aren't.

This wraps around back to Tiamat who spams tornados and tailspins at you that you can't block or parry or absorb.

The game can't decide if it wants to be Ninja Gaiden or Nioh / Dark Souls. Regular enemies are basically Ninja Gaiden but Bosses all of a sudden take on a substantial horrific difficulty level.

Couple that in with some kind of weird lag when trying to use health potions to the point where they sometimes work and sometimes don't oh and sometimes if you do get one off jokes on you, the lag and animation caused the boss to hit you and instantly negate the potion.

With Elden Ring, a game I don't even particuarlly think is better than this, when you beat a boss you atleast feel like you figured out the bosses gimmicks and pattern. With the bosses in this game I can't tell anykind of pattern or anything, they just spam moves at you.

Well that's my thoughts. gently caress you Tiamat. This game was good until then. Also gently caress that one minute elevator ride before him.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and I think the game devs forgot to finish the Ninja class. There's skills that you can get but it doesn't tell you what weapon its for. Then you'll have a path of skills that starts off with all fist weapons throughout the tree and ends up with a katana skill :wtc:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I saw a vid where jack is fighting someone and they go to punch each other and both their fists hit, which triggers a screenshot flashback of both characters fist bumping in a forgotten memory and goes back to the fight and it owns, tbh.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

worms butthole guy posted:

I really like SoP BUT the bosses are loving stupid and unfair and really bring the game down from greatness level.

This is aimed at Tiamat who has bullshit moves that can one shot you.

Which gets me to my main problem with this game:

Blocking and that whole system seems to make no sense. When you block you get a hit to health and your break meter. That's pointless. There's also no real tell about what moves are blockable and what aren't.

This wraps around back to Tiamat who spams tornados and tailspins at you that you can't block or parry or absorb.

The game can't decide if it wants to be Ninja Gaiden or Nioh / Dark Souls. Regular enemies are basically Ninja Gaiden but Bosses all of a sudden take on a substantial horrific difficulty level.

Couple that in with some kind of weird lag when trying to use health potions to the point where they sometimes work and sometimes don't oh and sometimes if you do get one off jokes on you, the lag and animation caused the boss to hit you and instantly negate the potion.

With Elden Ring, a game I don't even particuarlly think is better than this, when you beat a boss you atleast feel like you figured out the bosses gimmicks and pattern. With the bosses in this game I can't tell anykind of pattern or anything, they just spam moves at you.

Well that's my thoughts. gently caress you Tiamat. This game was good until then. Also gently caress that one minute elevator ride before him.

Sounds like someone skipped the soul shield tutorial lol

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
You can't absorb moves from Tiamat, atleast none that I noticed except for maybe one. But you're lucky to even have any break meter left TO soul shield since the game decides its okay to take it away while blocking while taking away health.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There should be a color-blind mode or something because as is they're just color coded. If the name has an orange plate, it's a regular blockable move. If it's purple, you can absorb it with the Soul Shield like a Blue Mage spell. If it's red, you can't block it at all.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I must've missed that part.

I never use that Judgement system or whatever the hell the super angry mode is because I'm usually either MP drained or it's not worth blowing 2 bars on it. Should I be using it more

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lightbringer mode helps a lot in Tiamat phase 2 because she just regenerates health so you need to break her gauge instead.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Lightbringer is Devil Trigger so yes

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

You can't absorb moves from Tiamat, atleast none that I noticed except for maybe one. But you're lucky to even have any break meter left TO soul shield since the game decides its okay to take it away while blocking while taking away health.

You can absorb the wind, lightning, and poison shot moves -- as with any enemy, if a move has purple text you can steal it, and any move without red text can be shielded. The wind one is really good for cutting off heads. Anyway, stop blocking. Soul shield + counter + swayback means that every soul shield is a net positive for MP and break gauge, the rest is just being patient.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Man, I want to know if other language versions of SoP are uh...let's say 'similar' to what I've seen of English SoP.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also, trying to block magic only negates some damage. I'm pretty sure if you block a physical attack properly it doesn't do any damage, or just minimal. Might need a shield though.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Ibblebibble posted:

Also, trying to block magic only negates some damage. I'm pretty sure if you block a physical attack properly it doesn't do any damage, or just minimal. Might need a shield though.

My understanding is that if it's a magic spell (orange text), you need soul shield to block it fully, but I haven't had time to test that thoroughly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Saint Freak posted:

Man, I want to know if other language versions of SoP are uh...let's say 'similar' to what I've seen of English SoP.

English if anything is pretty edited down from the usual Kingdom Hearts repeating The Term nonsense from japanese at least

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Do any of your companions ever get the ability to become a healer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

My understanding is that if it's a magic spell (orange text), you need soul shield to block it fully, but I haven't had time to test that thoroughly.

This is right unless you get 250% Sage affinity which lets you block magic.

Do any of your companions ever get the ability to become a healer?

One can become a Sage but I don't recall them healing me.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

One can become a Sage but I don't recall them healing me.

They're probably saving up all that MP for Zettaflare.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I know that postgame there's the ability to uncap your jobs from 30 to 55 (and maybe even more?), does that come with a skill tree expansion too?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I know that postgame there's the ability to uncap your jobs from 30 to 55 (and maybe even more?), does that come with a skill tree expansion too?

No, instead you earn Mastery points which you can use to buff various attributes

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Is there not a preload for PC?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Levantine posted:

SoP hits all the right absurdist notes for me, much like Metal Gear Rising did.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Solarflare posted:

Is there not a preload for PC?

None that I noticed, because who would want to preload an 80GB game a day before launch?

Particularly when my internet has been cutting out so much lately...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ibblebibble posted:

Jesus, Tiamat is a beast. I smashed my head against her for 40+ minutes on normal difficulty before I gave up and went down to story mode.

I almost did the same but refused to give the game the satisfaction.

...which is why I took about 3 hours on the fight. gently caress that in game tip suggesting melee+lightbringer which takes for goddamned ever when magic took her down much faster and with far less risk. :argh:

You can block (or at least absorb) every attack* Tiamat uses. I wouldn't try to absorb tri-disaster beyond the first hit (then you dodge roll away) since you have to absorb multiple hits and if you mess up at all you die. I'm not sure how you'd beat that fight without absorbing constantly for MP unless you beatstick it a ton as a magic user which would take forever.

*might not be able to absorb their counter attack since there's no delay between you triggering it and it going off but I never tried with any auto-counter stuff like swordfighter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

None that I noticed, because who would want to preload an 80GB game a day before launch?

Particularly when my internet has been cutting out so much lately...

This is one problem with Japanese developers. In FFXIV for example ninja didn’t have a bunch of “lag” issues fixed until YoshiP played ninja on stage at a North American fan fest. (This is also how a massive crackdown on Gil sellers happened)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I almost did the same but refused to give the game the satisfaction.

...which is why I took about 3 hours on the fight. gently caress that in game tip suggesting melee+lightbringer which takes for goddamned ever when magic took her down much faster and with far less risk. :argh:

You can block (or at least absorb) every attack* Tiamat uses. I wouldn't try to absorb tri-disaster beyond the first hit (then you dodge roll away) since you have to absorb multiple hits and if you mess up at all you die. I'm not sure how you'd beat that fight without absorbing constantly for MP unless you beatstick it a ton as a magic user which would take forever.

*might not be able to absorb their counter attack since there's no delay between you triggering it and it going off but I never tried with any auto-counter stuff like swordfighter.

Yeah I probably shouldn't have stubbornly stuck to fists. Fists are pretty much the worst weapons for phase 2. Maybe I should have used RDM Blizzard 3 more, I mostly forgot that I had unlocked RDM spell charging.

I look forward to my revenge match with her later once I unlock Void Knight and BLM.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

As a mage I want to soulshield every ranged attack no question.

When I shielded all of the hits of Mariliths's Asura I felt god-like, threw back the Asura at her and then just started dumping spells to cast Ultima

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

This is one problem with Japanese developers. In FFXIV for example ninja didn’t have a bunch of “lag” issues fixed until YoshiP played ninja on stage at a North American fan fest. (This is also how a massive crackdown on Gil sellers happened)

It doesnt even need to be japanese developers in this case. Epic has always been terrible for pre-loads from my experience.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah I probably shouldn't have stubbornly stuck to fists. Fists are pretty much the worst weapons for phase 2. Maybe I should have used RDM Blizzard 3 more, I mostly forgot that I had unlocked RDM spell charging.

I look forward to my revenge match with her later once I unlock Void Knight and BLM.

I think fists are bad for most bosses because you're not going to be able to keep the buff up during longer attack patterns, and you often don't have big enough windows to even get it to lvl 2.

They're great for miniboss enemies though

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'm stuck on Tianat too. I'm a ninja using a katana. The one hit lock stun kills are annoying as gently caress and it really seems like a.fight that is easier for ranged.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think fists are bad for most bosses because you're not going to be able to keep the buff up during longer attack patterns, and you often don't have big enough windows to even get it to lvl 2.

Fists can be extremely good if you are solid at parties or have skills that make it easier to soak damage.

The Sentinel skill gives you a huge shield which means you can eat a hit or two. Ninja has a skill which gives you a free damage avoid for 2 Ninjitsu points. My personal favorite is Teleport which lets you dodge and go right back into combos.

It is also amazing with Tyrant when it gets the "hits against an enemy with status refills HP" and "all hits against an enemy with a status are critical" due to fast attack speed

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

TBH I haven't had much issue using them on bosses until I got to Tiamat. I just really like using them as well so there's that factor too, I'm comfier with them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m excited to get into this game over the coming days. I find it interesting that they remixed the order of encounters. Wonder what the logic for that was.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

Fists can be extremely good if you are solid at parties or have skills that make it easier to soak damage.

The Sentinel skill gives you a huge shield which means you can eat a hit or two. Ninja has a skill which gives you a free damage avoid for 2 Ninjitsu points. My personal favorite is Teleport which lets you dodge and go right back into combos.

It is also amazing with Tyrant when it gets the "hits against an enemy with status refills HP" and "all hits against an enemy with a status are critical" due to fast attack speed

Is there anything that explains the ninja moves? I didn't know there was a "eat damage" move and have just been spamming the fire damage one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I haven't played Monk since the demo, but from what I remember what I did was use Resonance to tell the party members to "get in", the bosses seem to have pretty straightforward aggro tables and will target a companion if they've been doing more damage.

This is usually enough time to run out of range and charge up to max before the boss does a special attack or something where it doesn't respect aggro

There is also the command ability you can take from white mage which doubles the length of buffs

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 16, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is there anything that explains the ninja moves? I didn't know there was a "eat damage" move and have just been spamming the fire damage one

The elemental ones are obvious.

Shuriken is free ranged with poo poo damage
Fuma Shuriken is strong physical damage
The self buff is the "nullify one hit"
The weapon buff can cause paralysis

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 16, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OhFunny posted:

I'm going to beat the game on every difficulty setting because I cannot stand the thought there's a version of CHAOS that remains unkilled.

if it’s anything like Nioh each of the DLC expansions will also add an additional NG+ Difficulty so you’ll be able to kill Chaos to your heart’s desire

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Augus posted:

if it’s anything like Nioh each of the DLC expansions will also add an additional NG+ Difficulty so you’ll be able to kill Chaos to your heart’s desire

:sickos: but instead it's Jack saying kill chaos instead of ha ha

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Augus posted:

Well except the DLC that turns the tables and makes your quest to smooch Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well except the DLC that turns the tables and makes your quest to smooch Chaos.

I will never smooch chaos.