Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

sneakyfrog posted:

i mean maybe this is just my army brain talking here but is there no such thing as an illegal order where like "here lets drop bombs on refugees" you would be like uh gently caress you sir?

i just cant picture a professional soldier being cool with deliberate civilian casualties

The one conviction from Mỹ Lai did 3.5 years before the president commuted his sentence and has been living a comfy retirement in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Swapping your legacy soviet S-300 for a shiny new Patriot battery is a really good deal and worth a little bit of a capabiltiy gap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BoldFace posted:

Great drone footage of a Russian tank being ambushed and destroyed.
:nms:
https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1504169000506437641

:nms:Tank gets ambushed, track gets blown off, then another hit penetrates internally, crew tries to abandon, one of them gets blown up on the top of the tank. Looks like a second tank also got ambushed behind it:nms:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

psydude posted:

The US process has you including the target and disposition (under cover, in the open). This would be called into the fire direction center, which will coordinate fires. Beyond that I'm not sure what gets passed down to the actual dudes manning the guns other than the type of ammunition and the other information they need to actually get the rounds on target.

I was never FDC but I worked very closely with them downrange, IIRC the FDC doesn't give a target description to the gunline because that conversation is usually happening on a different frequency. The comms on the FDC channel follow a strict format that involves repeating everything back to each other so they don't make any mistakes. And because everyone on the gunline is either deaf or wearing earplugs, they all sound like this

Here is the FM if anyone is thirsty for fires doctrine

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The one conviction from Mỹ Lai did 3.5 years before the president commuted his sentence and has been living a comfy retirement in Florida.

We spent 20 years annihilating civilians with impunity on the absolute flimsiest intel imaginable, capping it off with a 10 civilian strike as we were leaving Kabul

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Any idea how fast they can get AA batteries in place?

amazon is usually like 2 day for amazon basic AA batteries, they're pretty good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

:nms:Tank gets ambushed, track gets blown off, then another hit penetrates internally, crew tries to abandon, one of them gets blown up on the top of the tank. Looks like a second tank also got ambushed behind it:nms:

gently caress man, just hit them with a javelin and put them out of their misery.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

gently caress man, just hit them with a javelin and put them out of their misery.

This is supposedly further East where maybe Javelins are not as available. As someone else said, looks like standard RPG hits.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

This is supposedly further East where maybe Javelins are not available. As someone else said, looks like standard RPG hits.

I can't believe how far the guy from the second tank flew.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GD_American posted:

Gotta laugh that I associate Russian ATGMs with an early 2000s goon scat fetishist

Wait what

What's your av from? I'd ask elsewhere but I don't recognize you from anywhere else and I don't have search

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 16, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

I can't believe how far the guy from the second tank flew.

Yeah I'll assume that was some stowed gear that landed :gonk:

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I dunno, I think it definitely looks like part of a body. Guess it could be equipment, there's some debris that takes a little longer to settle.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I'll assume that was some stowed gear that landed :gonk:

Looked like a backpack to me. Thats my story, I'm sticking to that.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
:nms::nms:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/tfqmg0/russian_ural_truck_ambushed_location_unknow/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Pretty wild footage of a close quarters ambush of a Russian troop truck, with headcam and drone footage. There's no gore but tagged it as it looks like the driver cab got hosed up, but the troops in the back seem to escape injury.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orlando Furioso posted:

...but the troops in the back seem to escape injury.

Well, before the video cuts out, at least.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Swapping your legacy soviet S-300 for a shiny new Patriot battery is a really good deal and worth a little bit of a capabiltiy gap.
And creates shareholder value for Raytheon, a sure way to get the US government to make things happen.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well, before the video cuts out, at least.
Yeah, hard to tell who's who, obviously, but there are some humans in green running along the fence to the right of the truck after it got hit, so they may be waiting for the soft contents to come out of the hard shell.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 16, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

This is supposedly further East where maybe Javelins are not as available. As someone else said, looks like standard RPG hits.

The 2nd explosion after the crew starts to bail looks like it was from an IED. You can see a square of some kind where the explosion comes from, and it's gone after the smoke clears.

That square shape is where it comes from, and it's gone later. I just can't tell if it's on the road or hanging from the lampost.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

stealie72 posted:

And creates shareholder value for Raytheon, a sure way to get the US government to make things happen.

Yeah, hard to tell who's who, obviously, but there are some humans in green running along the fence to the right of the truck after it got hit, so they may be waiting for the soft contents to come out of the hard shell.

That's a couple dudes with bikes trying to GTFO

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The Russian version is nicknamed "Metis"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Well that was certainly something, though after that video this morning, I'm having trouble remembering the dudes in there may have been some poor guys press ganged in. Then again I can also equally imagine the that they were Grade-A assholes and the world was done a service. Thanks Russia, you found a way to dehumanize your own people.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait what

What's your av from? I'd ask elsewhere but I don't recognize you from anywhere else and I don't have search

The art came from an avatar thread, I think in YOSPOS, years ago. I don't know where the original creator got the source material. The text is a phrase from Goodbye to All That.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well that was certainly something, though after that video this morning, I'm having trouble remembering the dudes in there may have been some poor guys press ganged in. Then again I can also equally imagine the that they were Grade-A assholes and the world was done a service. Thanks Russia, you found a way to dehumanize your own people.

I wonder how often they let conscripts drive the tanks, as opposed to handing them a single slice of bread, a 40 year old rifle with no sights, and 90 rounds of ammo, and cramming them in the back of a truck.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thanks Russia, you found a way to dehumanize your own people.

seriously this is like how do you separate the music from the artist conundrum.

apologize for kramering into y'alls thread this morning but that video hosed me up a bit and i needed a not GBS or loving cspam perspective.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Orlando Furioso posted:

:nms::nms:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/tfqmg0/russian_ural_truck_ambushed_location_unknow/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Pretty wild footage of a close quarters ambush of a Russian troop truck, with headcam and drone footage. There's no gore but tagged it as it looks like the driver cab got hosed up, but the troops in the back seem to escape injury.

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1504185625255292932?s=20&t=iHpMt5AcFbx1YbYhFmJLOA

This clip has another 20 seconds (and music) to the start showing the ambushers pass some disabled transport trucks.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I don't think poor slobs getting pressganged would be driving tanks. The poor slobs getting pressganged were given a rifle and told to walk 'thattaway'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sneakyfrog posted:

i mean maybe this is just my army brain talking here but is there no such thing as an illegal order where like "here lets drop bombs on refugees" you would be like uh gently caress you sir?

i just cant picture a professional soldier being cool with deliberate civilian casualties

Apparently Russian forces

1) Aren't told what they're hitting with indirect fire or air strikes, they're just given a list of coordinates to hit, and

2) in any unit where there's direct fire or direct contact, there's literally a kommissar :commissar: whose job is to do exactly that to anyone who doesn't do what they're told.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CainFortea posted:

I wonder how often they let conscripts drive the tanks, as opposed to handing them a single slice of bread, a 40 year old rifle with no sights, and 90 rounds of ammo, and cramming them in the back of a truck.

Well I always hear jokes about tankers being full of goofs, but that's the US and it's mostly from joking comes on here and Lion's Led By Donkey's (Joe is a former tanker). I would still think in general a conscript, well a Russian conscript (based on training and not "othering") is the last person you'd want to hand a tank off too. Then again they have demonstrated some amazingly dumb tactics. So in short :iiam:.

sneakyfrog posted:

seriously this is like how do you separate the music from the artist conundrum.

apologize for kramering into y'alls thread this morning but that video hosed me up a bit and i needed a not GBS or loving cspam perspective.

Yeah, and unlike art it's making it harder to retain sympathy, even at large. Luckily I (and others goons) talk with a fellow collogue of the profession, who lives in Russia, hates everything there, will jump the border if he gets conscripted, so it helps. Also poor dude, due to having an education, would get conscripted as an Lt. and based on what my dad said about Lt's in Vietnam*) it's a job with a high attrition rate.

*On the lighter side of things the reason they didn't and my dad (also realizing it would be a bad idea) failed a test on trig (he had gotten kicked out of HS and got his GED in the Marines). Then he just gave the Marines a very GiP treatment, he showed me an evaluation where they Commander is basically say that he doesn't care about the traditions or values of the Corp...something along there lines. He made sure to save it. He then left used the GI Bill to go to College and then went to Law School, the first in his family to graduated college and get a post grad degree. :)

I don't know if I need to say it, but I'm always extremely proud of having him as my...he's also not full of brainworms. I was saying it would be good if someone charged Tucker Carlson with being an unregistered foreign agent or getting his asskicked. The response of my dad (who is 75). "I'd would settle for kicking his rear end. He seems like a pussy."

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 16, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lightpole posted:

Probably means unnecessarily subjecting yourself to suffering and pain by watching it and isn't wrong according to the reactions from the thread.

It exists for a reason, and there are some people who need to see it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
milquetoast cold and timid souls in congress should be force fed that poo poo until they develop a spine or quit.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

A.o.D. posted:

It exists for a reason, and there are some people who need to see it.

No poo poo. It was put together to maximize the impact which means a lot of people in here should skip it why is this such a disaster point?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1504124755376549897

quote:

Mr. Dombrovsky, the reconnaissance-unit commander, said he captured several soldiers in their early 20s and a 31-year-old senior lieutenant from the Russian military intelligence. The lieutenant, he said, had forced a private to swap uniforms but was discovered because of the age discrepancy—and because Ukrainian forces found Russian personnel files in the column’s command vehicle.

lmao

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, and unlike art it's making it harder to retain sympathy, even at large. Luckily I (and others goons) talk with a fellow collogue of the profession, who lives in Russia, hates everything there, will jump the border if he gets conscripted, so it helps. Also poor dude, due to having an education, would get conscripted as an Lt. and based on what my dad said about Lt's in Vietnam*) it's a job with a high attrition rate.

I've got a bunch of Russian colleagues and friends, took 4 semesters of Russian for fun in university, and think Russia has a rich history and fascinating culture. So with that all being said: in the brutal zero-sum calculus of warfare, it's either those guys, or more kids in a maternity ward. Unfortunately a mad man in the Kremlin decided to play chess with their lives, and there's nothing positive about any of it.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

When was the last time any state experienced this level of armor loss in combat? A friend who is ex-Army suggested either Gulf War 1 or WW2, and I'm inclined to agree.

Also, how many armor losses did the US take during our 20 years in Useless Dirt?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

"we're gonna get those back right...right?"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

When was the last time any state experienced this level of armor loss in combat? A friend who is ex-Army suggested either Gulf War 1 or WW2, and I'm inclined to agree.

Also, how many armor losses did the US take during our 20 years in Useless Dirt?

Iran-Iraq war, maybe? My dad worked with a guy who was a tank commander during that war and was ejected from the turret when they took a direct hit. He survived with a broken arm, said gently caress Iran, and moved to the US to engineer roads. The rest of his crewmates weren't as lucky.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

"we're gonna get those back right...right?"

They'll come back as Patriot batteries.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

When you're afraid S1 shop is going to lose your poo poo

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monsters

https://twitter.com/asamiterajima/status/1504208042480570372?s=21

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Subquestion when was the last time FOUR loving GENERALS got wasted in less than a month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Subquestion when was the last time FOUR loving GENERALS got wasted in less than a month?
Graphic photo in the quoted tweet, but only if you click on it.

https://twitter.com/4n4lisis/status/1504008208578494476?s=21

It’s amazing how after reading the idiots read for so long that somehow Russia’s making American officers look like geniuses.