Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vinylshadow posted:

New Lego Skywalker Saga featurette

We'll be able to play as Babu Frik, and Yaddle

Haven't played those in forever but it's a shame that they keep improving the graphics without having the terrain made out of bricks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

New Lego Skywalker Saga featurette

We'll be able to play as Babu Frik, and Yaddle

They’re going to fix the story

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Ah, is this how they're going to render the ST non-canon and anoint Filoni as the god of the new world order?

No I couldn't keep a straight face while typing that, how did you guess?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Haven't played those in forever but it's a shame that they keep improving the graphics without having the terrain made out of bricks too.

That might be for the best - they released a video where they were using "we brick-built all the ships" as a selling point, and the shot they use to illustrate it has a ship that's very loosely based on an official set, but it seems to give up halfway - with complex multi-piece builds being mixed with enormously scaled individual pieces, and built onto a base model that's detailed to "suggest" Lego bricks without actually using any real pieces.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isn't that specifically a TIE for someone important?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk. I guess due to extra material but how would I know that. I don’t read that CRAP

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, that specific TIE is flown by Moff Gideon, but other TIEs landed the same way are seen elsewhere in the series, and Jon Favreau's comments about it behind the scenes material make it clear that that's just how they're supposed to land.

Of course, because this feature hadn't been seen before, they had to invent an entirely new type of TIE that is exactly like a regular TIE but has folding wings.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Well, if we're just focusing on Luke, does it make him a rather callous and heartless hero if he doesn't really seem to care that much that Dad murdered billions of people, as long as he made some token gesture to murder his own abusive boss in favor of his wounded son?

Is Leia the same? She seems to think that Kylo could return to the Good Squad, even if he has willingly murdered billions of people as well. Star Wars seems far more concerned with family dynamics than having the leaders of billions actually seem to care about the billions they control? Yes, these could be considered character flaws present in bad leaders but the movies don't seem to think so - Luke and Leia are practically revered as religious figures.

Within the context of the Disney films, I agree, but outside of those I think you're unnecessarily placing the family dynamics and the politics at odds. Luke's character arc is certainly give a lot of focus (and within that arc his concern with his father is entirely unsurprising) but the Empire's violent actions are never underplayed.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 16, 2022

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this is cursed

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

For what it's worth the Starkiller rally has a bunch of ties parked in their H-shape

They should really be called H-wings I guess

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Robot Style posted:

That might be for the best - they released a video where they were using "we brick-built all the ships" as a selling point, and the shot they use to illustrate it has a ship that's very loosely based on an official set, but it seems to give up halfway - with complex multi-piece builds being mixed with enormously scaled individual pieces, and built onto a base model that's detailed to "suggest" Lego bricks without actually using any real pieces.

It's a tough problem, you lose all the charm of Lego if you truly do everything at minifig scale - from anything other than an extreme closeup a kilometer long ship just looks like you "cheated" and put in a regular 3D model. But a half measure like that Venator doesn't work well either.

There are fan creations that are really true to the movie designs, and not as obviously LEGO, but you still get the huge brick scale issue if the camera gets close.

Vigilance - Venator-class Star Destroyer by Martin Latta, on Flickr

In a LEGO film you could build the ships at different scales based on how much screen space it occupies, make detailed (but still not minifig scale) sections for closeups, and then cut between them in the edit, like real filming miniatures. But a continuous shot (or consistent 3D model like in a game) that holds up from far to close is an unsolved LEGO aesthetic problem as far as I can tell. Maybe in a game you could do a cheeky LOD effect, where once a brick passes a certain screen angle threshold or distance to camera a more detailed build pops in to replace it (maybe with some quick animation!), and vice versa, so by the time a Star Destroyer should look like a small wedge on screen it's down to just a few (wildly scaled up but distant) plates. That way everything always looks like LEGO, but you've completely broken brick scale, and objects will have a weird periodic shimmer as those LODs swap.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 17, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
but the LEGO corporation must have fully detailed models of literally everything, right? Someone loving solidworksed that poo poo. Those diagrams were not hand drawn.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Lego games play pretty fast-and-loose with scale of Lego pieces even at things close to minifigure size.

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, is this how they're going to render the ST non-canon and anoint Filoni as the god of the new world order?

No I couldn't keep a straight face while typing that, how did you guess?

Weirdly Lego has done the most/only high-profile post-ST story and it was explicitly about not changing things because of time travel.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Glottis posted:

but the LEGO corporation must have fully detailed models of literally everything, right? Someone loving solidworksed that poo poo. Those diagrams were not hand drawn.

You mean the original film ship designs? Sure, probably, but that doesn't translate very easily or directly to LEGO builds. It'll help you a lot with proportions and angles and details if you're trying to do a really accurate build, but most official physical LEGO versions of ships are more about being strong, cheap(ish), and easily built by children. That's the difference between the custom Venator I posted and the official set Robot Style posted.

If LEGO wanted to build hyper-accurate LEGO versions of the ships for their games they could, but once individual bricks stop being identifiable and start acting like simple voxels you've lost the LEGO magic:

Ok, it's life size, and as accurate as it can be in LEGO... and it looks totally artless and stiff. It's the same tiny brick repeated a half million times. Importantly, it's also not really immediately identifiable as LEGO. You might think it was a Minecraft build, or a 3D printed model.

Compare that to a tiny custom build - sure you lose 90% of the detail but if the design is good enough (on both the original and LEGO ends) the result is a pleasing caricature that's still identifiable. And look, more than one kind of brick!

Imagine that the LEGO starfighters you're piloting in the game are built to a scale/detail level like the second example - about right for a LEGO minifigure to fit in, and matching actual playsets. That'll look pretty good. Now imagine the capital ships like Star Destroyers, which are vastly bigger - proportionally they'd be much larger than the life-size car:

Sure, you could do a very accurate LEGO voxel version, but it would either look stiff and algorithm-generated like the life size car (only worse because of how much larger it is), or, since the Venator is mostly flat shapes, if you used techniques to get the angles just right like the custom Venator I posted, the bricks would completely disappear. It wouldn't look like LEGO at all unless you got really close and started seeing the seams between tiles, or individual studs.

The scale difference means a style clash is almost inevitable. Even the LEGO movies struggled with this a little bit in establishing shots - it just stops looking like LEGO past a certain scale, though of course it can still look good/cool:

It's hard to tell exactly how big those builds (foreground/middleground) would be in real life, but I think they're smaller than a minifig-scale Venator, which would maybe fit on a tennis court if you angled it carefully.

Lastly, games have to run in real time, and hyper-detailed LEGO Movie style environments (or ships as large as environments) would probably break the geometry budget.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I am sort of curious if Lego Star Wars can somehow salvage something out of Rise of Skywalker at least (I thought Lego TFA was alright for the most part after all). Also since this game has voice acting I'm wondering if they got anyone from the movies back like they did for TFA (Tony Daniels is a strong possibility at least since he's played 3PO in pretty much everything the character's been in).

Come to think of it, are Lego the only ones to make any sort of game out of the ST?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 17, 2022

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, are Lego the only ones to make any sort of game out of the ST?

Illusion Soft released a popular tie-in eroge for Rise of Skywalker. Interestingly it's the only Star Wars video game that John Boyega and Oscar Isaac did voice acting for.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Illusion Soft released a popular tie-in eroge for Rise of Skywalker. Interestingly it's the only Star Wars video game that John Boyega and Oscar Isaac did voice acting for.

Did they not also reprise their roles for Lego TFA? It kind of sounded like them at least

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They did, in the sense that the game just used clips from the movie for all the dialogue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robot Style posted:

They did, in the sense that the game just used clips from the movie for all the dialogue.

No, there were a decent number of new lines during the actual gameplay (the characters mention building things for example and I know for a fact the phrase “Wookie cookie” was never in the movie)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

So they did. Kind of surprised they didn't pillage the voice clips for Episode 9, since you'd think they'd be scrounging for any Carrie Fisher Leia dialogue they could get their hands on, and "we have to collect ice cream for Nien Nunb" isn't any stupider than the other plotlines in the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robot Style posted:

So they did. Kind of surprised they didn't pillage the voice clips for Episode 9, since you'd think they'd be scrounging for any Carrie Fisher Leia dialogue they could get their hands on, and "we have to collect ice cream for Nien Nunb" isn't any stupider than the other plotlines in the movie.

I think the game came out before ROS did but I could be wrong. Also it looks like they’ll be remaking it and the other 6 episodes from scratch for the upcoming Skywalker Saga rather than just porting the existing games

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread: we have to collect ice cream for Nien Nunb

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah the game came out in 2016, but with the way Lucasfilm's been wringing every last drop out of their characters, it doesn't seem out of the question that they'd even scrape Carrie Fisher's existing dialogue from a Lego game if they needed more material for the zombie in Rise of Skywalker.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Ingmar terdman posted:

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread: we have to collect ice cream for Nien Nunb

did someone say https://youtu.be/Fi34wA-ajZc

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean, fair enough

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's definitely a point there. Woman-oriented media rarely gets that kind of treatment, does it? Becoming a cornerstone of pop culture and endlessly remade, rehashed, revisioned and parodied. You don't see many franchises for girls. The first equivalent thing that comes to mind is My Little Pony... (and yes, that's its own kettle of worms perhaps best left unexamined without special handling material)

I suppose I can think of some more gender-neutral franchises that do get plenty of exposure, promotion, and fan treatment... Pokemon mostly comes to mind, having playable female characters pretty early on and a premise that removes barriers of gender, as well as age and physical ability. Nintendo's actually kinda good with that lately, Splatoon is decidedly female-centric in promotion and main speaking characters. And the previews of 3 suggest they've removed gender entirely as a binary option. But hard to think of a lot of female-audience-centric stuff that gets openly taken seriously.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It is interesting how few reboots there are for all the girl properties. Though other than Barbie, MLP and She-Ra I don't know any girl specific series off hand. That's either me being a guy and thus not remembering or a result of there having been less media?

Still, I'd be hesitant to say that we're taught to take it seriously? I'd say that that is more of people not having enough self awareness that they're arguing over some fictional poo poo and that someone not sharing your opinion isn't a bad thing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

For those of us who are all generally early-mid 30s, as a girl you had to *find* things to relate to in those media, even if you were a nerd, because there wasn't stories about us that weren't eclipsed by the boy stories. It's why I spent so much time writing fanfiction. I knew I was never going to get a Spider-Man cartoon *just* about Black Cat, so I just rewatched those episodes with her in them and then wrote my own

And even still there's this dichotomy where if girls want to pursue *any* nerdy hobby at all, it's going into a boy space; we're outsiders. There's essentially no spaces in pop culture where a man would feel like an outsider; it's what made MLP such a big fiasco because that was essentially as close as it came.

Luckily a lot of spaces these days feel way more "co-owned". I haven't felt particularly out of place in a comic book shop in a while, for instance--or in the TTRPG community

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 18, 2022

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The United States posted:

I mean, fair enough

What is this from?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's from an article about Netflix's Baby-Sitters Club series being cancelled.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
From 12 Years Ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRHy3cu31M

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Oh yeah, I heard that was good. Been meaning to read it, thanks for the link.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Darth TNT posted:

It is interesting how few reboots there are for all the girl properties. Though other than Barbie, MLP and She-Ra I don't know any girl specific series off hand. That's either me being a guy and thus not remembering or a result of there having been less media?
Sabrina is one of the more prominent ones. There have been a few other kids ones like Worst Witch.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

For those of us who are all generally early-mid 30s, as a girl you had to *find* things to relate to in those media, even if you were a nerd, because there wasn't stories about us that weren't eclipsed by the boy stories. It's why I spent so much time writing fanfiction. I knew I was never going to get a Spider-Man cartoon *just* about Black Cat, so I just rewatched those episodes with her in them and then wrote my own

And even still there's this dichotomy where if girls want to pursue *any* nerdy hobby at all, it's going into a boy space; we're outsiders. There's essentially no spaces in pop culture where a man would feel like an outsider; it's what made MLP such a big fiasco because that was essentially as close as it came.

Luckily a lot of spaces these days feel way more "co-owned". I haven't felt particularly out of place in a comic book shop in a while, for instance--or in the TTRPG community

Black cat is a bit of a meh example though. As cool as she was in 90s spider man, she was just a part of Spider-man’s rogue gallery. She’s hardly a headliner. That’s like me complaining why there isn’t a war machine show.
A better example would be spider-woman. Who did have her own show, but while spider-man has had like 9 reboots (and a bunch of series that he participated in but wasn’t the star) she’s had 0. Though a different spider-woman was a supporting character for Iron Man adventures(?)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sabrina is one of the more prominent ones. There have been a few other kids ones like Worst Witch.
Oh yeah, she’s had like 5 shows or something right? I used to love the sitcom version.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Didn't Sailor Moon get rebooted?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Sailor Moon get rebooted?

In the sense that they made a new anime that stuck a bit closer to the manga, yes but it's been very slow going (Part 4 only just came out last year and the previous entry was released back in 2016)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

In the sense that they made a new anime that stuck a bit closer to the manga, yes but it's been very slow going (Part 4 only just came out last year and the previous entry was released back in 2016)

I'd say that qualifies, if different adaptation of comic books do. Yes, I'm aware comics are rarely if ever adapted as closely as manga usually get in the anime.

Actually, anime in general definitely is probably where well over half of the enduring girl-oriented franchises can be found, though I'm all too away there's some deliberate similarity to what was accidental with My Little Pony where there's a significant periphery demographic of male viewers. And in general anime does things different, like actually being willing to accept multi-demographic audiences, albeit mostly for pandering reasons. (Does happen the other way around with Gundam's traditional cast of pretty boys having extreme homoerotic tension with each other attracting a female audience)

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Darth TNT posted:

It is interesting how few reboots there are for all the girl properties. Though other than Barbie, MLP and She-Ra I don't know any girl specific series off hand.

There was that horrific Jem and the Holograms from a few years ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

There was that horrific Jem and the Holograms from a few years ago.

Josie and the Pussycats also comes to mind. ...funny how many descend from Archie spinoffs in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's definitely a point there. Woman-oriented media rarely gets that kind of treatment, does it? Becoming a cornerstone of pop culture and endlessly remade, rehashed, revisioned and parodied. You don't see many franchises for girls. The first equivalent thing that comes to mind is My Little Pony... (and yes, that's its own kettle of worms perhaps best left unexamined without special handling material)

I suppose I can think of some more gender-neutral franchises that do get plenty of exposure, promotion, and fan treatment... Pokemon mostly comes to mind, having playable female characters pretty early on and a premise that removes barriers of gender, as well as age and physical ability. Nintendo's actually kinda good with that lately, Splatoon is decidedly female-centric in promotion and main speaking characters. And the previews of 3 suggest they've removed gender entirely as a binary option. But hard to think of a lot of female-audience-centric stuff that gets openly taken seriously.

Twilight is pretty huge.

Also pretty much all the YA dystopia stuff is pretty much geared for girls. They have kind of passed out of popularity but the Hunger Games and its ilk were pretty big.

Nowadays the big trend is just to reboot/reimagine things and just use a female protagonist as a replacement or the previously unheard of daughter of the former male lead.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 22, 2022