Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Residency Evil posted:

The year is 2022, when I have to look up what kind of "miner" AMC bought.

I said gold, and prior to crypto it could have been silver or any other metal. Also I think the small miner they bought does silver too according to the story. Weird pivot but they are cash heavy and needed to find something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

so when is the rate hike announcement? Tomorrow?

(This is so baked in I assume nothing will happen)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Femtosecond posted:

Maybe banks get a bump?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

The statements seem to come out 2pm the afternoon of the second day of the FOMC meeting. So, tomorrow.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pixaal posted:

I said gold, and prior to crypto it could have been silver or any other metal. Also I think the small miner they bought does silver too according to the story. Weird pivot but they are cash heavy and needed to find something.

wtf this is the craziest poo poo.

I guess they don't want all that cash to suffer from inflation, so they just said "lets buy some gold?"

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Baddog posted:

I guess they don't want all that cash to suffer from inflation, so they just said "lets buy some gold?"

Its better than that. They basically said: "Spiderman did well and we feel a strong kinship with this company who is also in a financially perilous condition"

https://investor.amctheatres.com/ne...on/default.aspx

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pixaal posted:

I said gold, and prior to crypto

Still had to check and see if "gold" wasn't some badly named baby lambo style crypto coin

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I assumed it was locked down chinese world of warcraft gold miners, probably commoditized into a spac or some poo poo

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Femtosecond posted:

TBT calls.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Back in for 5 shares of LCID, want to touch the GME poop but good god anything could happen after this week's earnings call...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Space Fish posted:

Back in for 5 shares of LCID, want to touch the GME poop but good god anything could happen after this week's earnings call...

If you have an idea on direction do a vertical spread and try and make sure you are getting at least 50/50 payout for your risk. You can make this a reasonable gamble if you want you don't have to buy a $900 call or put. any reasonable spread is still probably in the $100-$200 risk range. Should be able to make a 5 point wide spread right around the money for April giving you 30 days to be right or tap out. Strikes are 5 points on this chain if you want less April 1st is 1pt strikes.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

So... Fed nominee withdrawing is bullish?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So... Fed nominee withdrawing is bullish?

Daylights savings time going away is bull. That costs half a billion a year.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

drk posted:

Its better than that. They basically said: "Spiderman did well and we feel a strong kinship with this company who is also in a financially perilous condition"

https://investor.amctheatres.com/ne...on/default.aspx

Perfect ending to this would be the mine sitting on a huge gold vein. Gamestop then buys ownership in NDRA... BBIG takes a stake in Microsoft... anything's possible! Jim Cramer becomes chairman of the fed...

Ooof on BABA, how low can it go? Like it's neck and neck with Russian ETFs!

Bought 517 more shares of Inplay Oil (IPO) this morning @$2.90. Looks like people were dropping $5 bills on the sidewalk....

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

Ah well as long as they aren't doing anything insane like investing in theatres or cinema-related entertainment products

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Baddog posted:

The largest shareholder of the miner AMC "invested" in is Mudrick Capital which entered via a SPAC and the whole thing looks pretty fishy.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

yeah it's a mystery, if only anyone had commented on it repeatedly in this thread. alas maybe next time

I bought at 10.25 and sold at 11 a few weeks ago. I would have held if not for your SoFi warnings, so I owe ya. :h:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sick, I still have an amc share

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That's not green you're seeing today... it's kindling for tomorrow's red 🔥🔥

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I believe it. This feels like a rug pull in the making.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pixaal posted:

If you have an idea on direction do a vertical spread and try and make sure you are getting at least 50/50 payout for your risk. You can make this a reasonable gamble if you want you don't have to buy a $900 call or put. any reasonable spread is still probably in the $100-$200 risk range. Should be able to make a 5 point wide spread right around the money for April giving you 30 days to be right or tap out. Strikes are 5 points on this chain if you want less April 1st is 1pt strikes.

Every time I try to understand options I just get confused, either on how to handle the timing/probability elements of the gamble or from asking myself "why not just buy a few shares and sell when they pop on some trend/catalyst?" I understand mutual funds, ETFs, and target date funds just fine but am a less than basic bitch when it comes to the active gambling.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Space Fish posted:

Every time I try to understand options I just get confused, either on how to handle the timing/probability elements of the gamble or from asking myself "why not just buy a few shares and sell when they pop on some trend/catalyst?" I understand mutual funds, ETFs, and target date funds just fine but am a less than basic bitch when it comes to the active gambling.

Options are tricky and best learned by using them. Which means the best way to learn is to spend money learning how to not use them. Like most skilled things it should eventually click, learn cheap don't start in the deep end. Options probably aren't for everyone.

You said you always get confused so I'll leave it at that.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Space Fish posted:

I dont trade options either, but my understanding of "why not just buy a few shares" is that options give you leverage. Each contract is for 100 shares, but costs much less than outright buying 100 shares. So, it amplifies your potential gains (and losses!).

You can also use them as a hedge/insurance (for example, to limit potential losses on a stock position you are holding long). Not sure how relevant that is for individual investors though - if youre taking on so much risk you feel the need to hedge, you should probably just take less risk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I believe you can paper-trade options in thinkorswim and on IB. Perhaps it'd be helpful to name a few other uh, options, for paper-trading options?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I believe you can paper-trade options in thinkorswim and on IB. Perhaps it'd be helpful to name a few other uh, options, for paper-trading options?

Paper trading options isn't as good though as paper trading shares because the bid/ask can be so wide and IIRC they always fill on paper in the middle when usually that isn't what'll happen in the real world. This greatly skews profit/loss when doing it

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DoubleT2172 posted:

Paper trading options isn't as good though as paper trading shares because the bid/ask can be so wide and IIRC they always fill on paper in the middle when usually that isn't what'll happen in the real world. This greatly skews profit/loss when doing it

Yep. And I feel like the advantage (if any) is in trading pretty thinly traded stuff.

I would suggest just doing a contract (and not doing naked), until you get things sorted out a bit.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Unless you have some information that everyone else doesn’t, options are pure gambling. It’s fun to gamble sometimes but don’t throw away lots of money doing it. You might say stocks are gambling too, but with stocks there is no time limit. You can lose tomorrow and win 5 years from now by buying and holding regular stocks (or index funds). But with options, once the timer expires, that’s it. If you lose, you lose.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Reentered WFC yesterday and COF this afternoon with shares. Lets go finance

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DoubleT2172 posted:

It's fine for spreads, single options you wont learn much as the greeks move, but if you are holding say a long SPY 435 and a short SPY 445, even in a paper trade you can see how that's working out.

You are trying to learn the greeks for free by paper trading options, trade things with tight spreads. You can't take advantage of the b/a spread in a paper trade so don't paper trade things with big ones, you'll learn wrong (I've seen some big spreads on things that just do not make sense like a the ask is $2 for a 5.00 put but the ask for the $4 is 0.25, just no one is even offering a good price on the 5p. Well you can paper trade that 0 bid 2.00 ask spread for a nice $100, even though in reality it is worth $0 because the underlying is $20.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 16, 2022

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

nelson posted:

Unless you have some information that everyone else doesn’t, options are pure gambling. It’s fun to gamble sometimes but don’t throw away lots of money doing it. You might say stocks are gambling too, but with stocks there is no time limit. You can lose tomorrow and win 5 years from now by buying and holding regular stocks (or index funds). But with options, once the timer expires, that’s it. If you lose, you lose.

Options are good for taking asymmetric risks at attractive spots when you believe vol is under/overpriced. Yes you should consider taking either side of an options trade depending on your view.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive got $1800 USD burning a whole in my pocket

Intel, Apple? Something else in the tech sector thats been down? Back into GOGL? NDRA?

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 17, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

ive got $1800 USD burning a whole in my pocket

Intel, Apple? Something else in the tech sector thats been down? Back into GOGL? NDRA?

Most beat down FANG gotta be Meta / Facebook. I'm not sure they have a strong recovery lined up though. AMD is at 110 and people seem to think it deserves that 130 if that helps you compare. Much like FB I think INTC might dip further so I'd avoid. INTC's roadmap isn't super interesting and there's no sign that AMD is going to slow down taking more of their market.

MSFT is also a bit beat up and worth a look.

GOOG could be worth a look too they have that split coming up this summer. - actually this would require half shares or your broker to let you leverage your shares and get GOOG for 1300bp instead of $2600 cash. Google is expensive drat.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

you guys ever heard of or use this?
https://www.stockperks.com/

"Get rewarded for investing in the companies you know and love
The free app for retail shareholders that offers perks, discounts, experiences and more."

seems like a 21st century conduit for companies to give discounts or whatever to shareholders. but is anything good available on it?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

They're basically the equivalent of AMEX/Chase credit card offers. Not worth signing up imo.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

pmchem posted:

"Get rewarded for investing in the companies you know and love
The free app for retail shareholders that offers perks, discounts, experiences and more."

seems like a 21st century conduit for companies to give discounts or whatever to shareholders. but is anything good available on it?

M1 Finance has something similar where they offer a credit card rewards program that has higher levels of cash back rewards if you own stock in the companies. The highest tier was like 10% when used at Gamestop or AMC, for example.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ranbo das posted:

They're basically the equivalent of AMEX/Chase credit card offers. Not worth signing up imo.

Please respect those that recognize the holy trinity, otherwise known as the Chase Trifecta.
*makes the sign of the Flex, the Freedom, and the holy Sapphire*

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CSR benefits are getting kind of lame now though, considering the annual fee.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

pmchem posted:

That sort of thing is a mainstay of the Japanese market. Free packs of noodles if you invest in the noodle company, etc...

Generally speaking as a US company you can't hand out anything too good or it starts to look like a dividend and the IRS comes calling.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Agronox posted:

That sort of thing is a mainstay of the Japanese market. Free packs of noodles if you invest in the noodle company, etc...

Generally speaking as a US company you can't hand out anything too good or it starts to look like a dividend and the IRS comes calling.

You gotta pay a bit to get the box from 3M (MMM), but it's usually a very very good value for what you spend and you probably will use all the supplies during the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

CSR benefits are getting kind of lame now though, considering the annual fee.

Did they lower them again?