Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean not really as Elden ring uses a very British version of thug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Smol joke

Not serious

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
weapon arts being super strong on release is way better than the way sekiro handled it which was every tool in the game being really lovely for months and there were no options in a game that already had less options than the average soulslike, also it was completely single player so it made even less sense there

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm thinking they put one (hundred thousand) too many Ulcerated Tree Spirits in the game, if you ask me.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Speaking of weapon arts like our favorite frosty stomp, does the strength of the art scale with the weapon scaling or is it static?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I've gotten the two Dectus halves but haven't fought Radhan yet. :ohdear:
Am I locked out of that fight or who do I need to speak to so I can go fight him?

e: Alexander told me he was heading to the Festival in the East but I haven't seen him since and the bridge over to Redmane kicks my rear end so I must have missed a teleporter somewhere?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jimbot posted:

I'm thinking they put one (hundred thousand) too many Ulcerated Tree Spirits in the game, if you ask me.

So many secret ones just popping up out of nowhere.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Just had the pleasure of facing the Putrid Tree Spirit.

Since we all know that every special ash besides the Mimic tear is F tier and by the time you have 10 flask you need 5 golden seeds, the drop for that rear end in a top hat being a single golden seed and a special ash is a joke.

Can't use the mimic tear, because it's first attack is almost always the rushing grab and OHKO, which for some reasons it loves to do 2-3 times in a room when it's body is filling up your screen and it's constantly clipping into frame. Then you get the bullshit aoe burst it does for phase 2, which your only defense is to run away, which also then triggers it to do its OHKO rush grab again.

Tried to fight it honestly like 10 times with the mimic tear literally dying in seconds, then just went for jellyfish+hoarfrost.

This is truly trash fight, and while I've had other fights that took longer like the Bell Hunter those fights at least felt like it was a true test of skill, not a mad dash rolling around because you can't see poo poo with the screen filling lightning fast tree constantly zooming back and forth. I don't even know how to complain about the design of it, because it was easier to be then some NPC fights, but it felt like way more luck then skill based.

edit: If they really go ahead and nerf the major aoe abilities, moonveil, night/flame, hoarfrost, then it's like they're gating off the game to only the 10% most hardcore players. I can accept if I'm not learning true skills by cheesing the bosses like that, but loving make it worth my time to beat my head against the wall with a major boss, not something that's guarding what is essentially trash items at that point in the game.

if they nerf anything it needs to be rot. Throwing that on every enemy type as a "here is enemy 2.0, causes tons of rot! that's balance!" is a pretty weak shortcut for real difficulty

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 16, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just beat the Fire Giant. Don't know what people are complaining about. That fight was fun as hell. I had maybe one bullshit death where he decided to double roll, and my lock on hosed up my camera so I couldn't get out of the way in time. Whatevs

Funnily enough, I died just as many times figuring out where to go at the cauldron because I became too focused on going counter clockwise around the rim and trying to get down into it. Did you know there are numerous points in that thing where you can drop a shining stone that won't shatter but you'll still die if you jump? :suicide:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

They really could split +25 upgrade mats in half, like 1/2/3 per tier instead of 2/4/6.

That would be good, but honestly I wish there was no flat +damage upgrades at all. Imagine how much easier it would be to try out the 300+ weapons in the game if you didn't have to pay a rune and progression tax, and the game was balanced around fairly static weapon values. Maybe add in something like Bloodborne's gems to have some variance and lootables.

Think of all the late game weapons no one ever uses because it's too much of a pain in the rear end to get them up to the level of your current weapons; even if you could drop 500K runes on a new +0 weapon you got, for most of the game you're not going to have the bells unlocked to buy them anyway. I'm surprised they do all that design work for 90% of their audience to not even consider using them.

That Dang Dad posted:

Speaking of weapon arts like our favorite frosty stomp, does the strength of the art scale with the weapon scaling or is it static?

I think Ashes that have magic-like effects don't scale with anything; that's kind of why they're completely awesome. Ashes that actually use your weapon in some fashion tend to have some scaling based on your weapon level.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I'll take ulcerated tree spirits over grafted scions or crucible knights any loving day

they're just big goofy assholes, they don't teleport behind you and hundred hand slap you to death or have infinite poise and instant death shoulder tackles

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Just beat the Fire Giant. Don't know what people are complaining about. That fight was fun as hell. I had maybe one bullshit death where he decided to double roll, and my lock on hosed up my camera so I couldn't get out of the way in time. Whatevs

Funnily enough, I died just as many times figuring out where to go at the cauldron because I became too focused on going counter clockwise around the rim and trying to get down into it. Did you know there are numerous points in that thing where you can drop a shining stone that won't shatter but you'll still die if you jump? :suicide:

Yeah I learned the stone thing the hard way as well. It doesn't help that it really does look like what you're supposed to do is drop down into one of the cracks in the side that create what appears to be a safe path down. In the rest of the game that kind of environmental detail usually is an indication of a path you're meant to take, but this one time it's just for flavour and you instantly die if you drop into it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ponder it

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Be careful when you ponder the orb, lest... you... the orb... become?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

pentyne posted:

Just had the pleasure of facing the Putrid Tree Spirit.

Since we all know that every special ash besides the Mimic tear is F tier and by the time you have 10 flask you need 5 golden seeds, the drop for that rear end in a top hat being a single golden seed and a special ash is a joke.

Can't use the mimic tear, because it's first attack is almost always the rushing grab and OHKO, which for some reasons it loves to do 2-3 times in a room when it's body is filling up your screen and it's constantly clipping into frame. Then you get the bullshit aoe burst it does for phase 2, which your only defense is to run away, which also then triggers it to do its OHKO rush grab again.

Tried to fight it honestly like 10 times with the mimic tear literally dying in seconds, then just went for jellyfish+hoarfrost.

This is truly trash fight, and while I've had other fights that took longer like the Bell Hunter those fights at least felt like it was a true test of skill, not a mad dash rolling around because you can't see poo poo with the screen filling lightning fast tree constantly zooming back and forth. I don't even know how to complain about the design of it, because it was easier to be then some NPC fights, but it felt like way more luck then skill based.

edit: If they really go ahead and nerf the major aoe abilities, moonveil, night/flame, hoarfrost, then it's like they're gating off the game to only the 10% most hardcore players. I can accept if I'm not learning true skills by cheesing the bosses like that, but loving make it worth my time to beat my head against the wall with a major boss, not something that's guarding what is essentially trash items at that point in the game.

if they nerf anything it needs to be rot. Throwing that on every enemy type as a "here is enemy 2.0, causes tons of rot! that's balance!" is a pretty weak shortcut for real difficulty

Yeah, I haven't been feeling many of the bosses in this game myself. And they really like to re-use bosses that range from middling to outright bad. So far the only boss I felt was well-designed and paced properly for this game's combat system was Godrick, and that's with his fire in phase 2 being kinda wonky.

The thing is there isn't really anything to learn. What's the "skillful" way of killing ulcerated? Getting lodged in its right side where 90% of its attacks whiff, but so do 50% of yours because hitbox forcefields? That's not exactly a compelling encounter. Less so when you can do it, like... six times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Appoda posted:

That would be good, but honestly I wish there was no flat +damage upgrades at all. Imagine how much easier it would be to try out the 300+ weapons in the game if you didn't have to pay a rune and progression tax, and the game was balanced around fairly static weapon values. Maybe add in something like Bloodborne's gems to have some variance and lootables.

Think of all the late game weapons no one ever uses because it's too much of a pain in the rear end to get them up to the level of your current weapons; even if you could drop 500K runes on a new +0 weapon you got, for most of the game you're not going to have the bells unlocked to buy them anyway. I'm surprised they do all that design work for 90% of their audience to not even consider using them.

I think Ashes that have magic-like effects don't scale with anything; that's kind of why they're completely awesome. Ashes that actually use your weapon in some fashion tend to have some scaling based on your weapon level.

The 500k rune cost versus 92k for weapon types definitely feels like a mistake. I'm not sure if they meant to make somber stones cost 5x more or smithing stones 5x less, but we'll see what happens with the first major patch. If it changes to 5x more then I would definately revise my opinion about weapon upgrade flexibility in the game because you need to lock into 1 normal and 1 unique weapon as your primary, and then 1-2 others as back-ups or different damage type.

Appoda posted:

Yeah, I haven't been feeling many of the bosses in this game myself. And they really like to re-use bosses that range from middling to outright bad. So far the only boss I felt was well-designed and paced properly for this game's combat system was Godrick, and that's with his fire in phase 2 being kinda wonky.

The thing is there isn't really anything to learn. What's the "skillful" way of killing ulcerated? Getting lodged in its right side where 90% of its attacks whiff, but so do 50% of yours because hitbox forcefields? That's not exactly a compelling encounter. Less so when you can do it, like... six times.

Maybe I need to be using more Dragongrease, but the dragon fights are a loving chore because its just running back and forth between their landing zones and getting 2-3 hits on. Takes far longer then any story boss battle I've done yet despite being able to kill the Frost dragon without needing more then 1-2 flasks.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

pentyne posted:

The 500k rune cost versus 92k for weapon types definitely feels like a mistake. I'm not sure if they meant to make somber stones cost 5x more or smithing stones 5x less, but we'll see what happens with the first major patch. If it changes to 5x more then I would definately revise my opinion about weapon upgrade flexibility in the game because you need to lock into 1 normal and 1 unique weapon as your primary, and then 1-2 others as back-ups or different damage type.

The reason smithing stones weapons cost a lot more is because you can change the ashes of war.

You're paying for versatility , not damage, by upgrading them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lore question thats been bugging me: Did ranni hire the black knives to ALSO kill her mortal flesh? Did someone ELSE send an assassin that looks exactly like Blaidd? I dont know if I got unique dialogue but when i talked to the minature Ranni doll wearing the dog head she got pissed as poo poo at me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/cqHsV2z.mp4

so there's a thing going on right now with invasions, people are doing some sort of hack (looks like all the dragon spells at the same time or something?) but if it hits you, it immediately kills you and somehow spawns your body in an area that immediately kills you? And you can't escape it, potentially just hard locking your save.

e: apparently the workaround in the unlikely event this happens to you is to alt+f4 before you die again, and upon loading back in you'll have a longer window to use the map and teleport out

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 16, 2022

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

https://i.imgur.com/cqHsV2z.mp4

so there's a thing going on right now with invasions, people are doing some sort of hack (looks like all the dragon spells at the same time or something?) but if it hits you, it immediately kills you and somehow spawns your body in an area that immediately kills you? And you can't escape it, potentially just hard locking your save.

It's all over reddit today, it's a PC hack, welcome to playing PC games.

Same topics also say you can get out by alt+f4 and spamming map teleports but uh, yeah...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah no poo poo it's a PC hack lol

Easy (to circumvent) AntiCheat is usually a sign that a game is going to be blown wide open. Took more than a week for something like this to appear though, I guess most of the developers of this kind of poo poo were busy actually playing it

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is there a way down to the volcano manor area under the bridge without using the "teleport?"

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is there a way down to the volcano manor area under the bridge without using the "teleport?"

Patches kicked me down there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I got some lady's necklace back and then fled in terror from a dragon and she called me brave and said I was perfect for her murder cult and teleported me there

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

try jumping

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Faith Build folks:

A fully upgraded Erdtree Shield with the set yourself on fire incantation has turned me into a mobile holy turret and I'm smoking gargoyles and avatars and the weird busted erdtree things without taking any damage.

Every hit is a stagger for like 200 damage, maybe 15-20 shots a minute.

Just a silly op weapon.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It is really weird how all the Legendary Talismans and Spells/Sorceries are all readily available but you can miss Legendary Armaments...

Almost an easy one-playthrough Platinum but just out of reach

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Babe Magnet posted:

try jumping

:hmmyes:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

It's all over reddit today, it's a PC hack, welcome to playing PC games.

i play many PC games - many of them online! - and i can't recall too many that allow someone to instantly kill me and brick my save

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Faith Build folks:

A fully upgraded Erdtree Shield with the set yourself on fire incantation has turned me into a mobile holy turret and I'm smoking gargoyles and avatars and the weird busted erdtree things without taking any damage.

Every hit is a stagger for like 200 damage, maybe 15-20 shots a minute.

Just a silly op weapon.

It works on poison too right? You could also slam a raw meat dumpling and load the magazine lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the set-yourself-on-fire incantation is also pretty good for any frostbite-focused builds, since fire damage resets frostbite status and allows you to repeatedly proc it like a pseudo-bleed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Babe Magnet posted:

try jumping

It was funny when I was in the Hagiltree and came around a balcony with a ton of blood splatters. I was extremely cautious because it was an around the corner kind of situation and I was expecting Fromsoft to pull out their 1000th surprise attack.

Naw. It was just a bunch of folks that fell or jumped off the balcony :buddy:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just hit 50 hours played and I’m running around the city area like a scared and confused squirrel. Why are there so many paths everywhere and how fuckin long is this game :saddowns:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I finally killed Malenia and it was purely through luck that she didn't do her flippy-dippy sword flurry bullshit attack and I feel nothing but an emptiness inside of me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gently caress the consecrated snowgrounds

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah no poo poo it's a PC hack lol

Easy (to circumvent) AntiCheat is usually a sign that a game is going to be blown wide open. Took more than a week for something like this to appear though, I guess most of the developers of this kind of poo poo were busy actually playing it

Victims of their own success.

Still no competition for GTAV online suck.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Video Nasty posted:

I've gotten the two Dectus halves but haven't fought Radhan yet. :ohdear:
Am I locked out of that fight or who do I need to speak to so I can go fight him?

e: Alexander told me he was heading to the Festival in the East but I haven't seen him since and the bridge over to Redmane kicks my rear end so I must have missed a teleporter somewhere?

I don’t see why you’d be locked out. You may check to see what the bridge is like right now. If the area state has changed, that means you’re good to go fight Radahn whenever!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When I summon my mimic tear forntje Mogh fight, the mimic has like 1/10 of his health.is ot jist fornthis fight?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bussamove posted:

I finally killed Malenia and it was purely through luck that she didn't do her flippy-dippy sword flurry bullshit attack and I feel nothing but an emptiness inside of me.

I just beat her too but I just shield walled my way through those. She doesn't seem to regen as much from that attack as from a standard swing, so it doesn't feel that bad.

I outright could not have beat her without the mimic tear. I fully recognize this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just started this and it's the first time I've got to play a Souls game at launch, more or less. The enemy design is so good lol, I just keep running into weird poo poo that makes me stop and look on in awe. One of the first things I tried to kill was a goat that just tucked into a ball and rolled away, and then I found some weird caterpillars made out of rocks that stood up, turned into suicide bombs, or suddenly flew off into the air like a boomerang.

Game of the year already.