Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Subquestion when was the last time FOUR loving GENERALS got wasted in less than a month?

You’re gonna have to use a different euphemism when talking about Russian generals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Graphic photo in the quoted tweet, but only if you click on it.

https://twitter.com/4n4lisis/status/1504008208578494476?s=21

It’s amazing how after reading the idiots read for so long that somehow Russia’s making American officers look like geniuses.

I read somewhere that there around 20 Russian MGs assigned to units at the start of the invasion, meaning that Russia has lost 20% of its division commanders in less than 3 weeks of fighting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

I read somewhere that there around 20 Russian MGs assigned to units at the start of the invasion, meaning that Russia has lost 20% of its division commanders in less than 3 weeks of fighting.

their new doctrine is to throw division commanders into the fray instead of privates

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

their new doctrine is to throw division commanders into the fray instead of privates

would certainly help in the global PR dept

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

You’re gonna have to use a different euphemism when talking about Russian generals

Four pizdec generals?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

A.o.D. posted:

Four pizdec generals?

They're implying that a lot more than 4 russian generals get "wasted" :guinness:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So genuine question. Apparently the Ukrainians are using standard commercial drones with cameras to fly around and locate Russian command posts and encampments, and that information is then used for artillery strikes, and/or getting wild footage of these areas getting lit up. What kind of deterrents can be used to combat this? I can't imagine it's cost effective to target relatively cheap commercial drones with expensive anti-air weapons.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So genuine question. Apparently the Ukrainians are using standard commercial drones with cameras to fly around and locate Russian command posts and encampments, and that information is then used for artillery strikes, and/or getting wild footage of these areas getting lit up. What kind of deterrents can be used to combat this? I can't imagine it's cost effective to target relatively cheap commercial drones with expensive anti-air weapons.

Jamming ISM band communications, or those registered bands that are used for larger commercial drones. The US had portable SDR jamming devices used to disrupt cellphone communications in Afghanistan and Iraq, for example.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I doubt a SAM could even target a small commercial drone, even if they had any gas to run them.

I don't think they use flak cannons anymore either so it would be down to massed machine gun fire or maybe snipers? Depends on how close the commercial drones needs to get.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Graphic photo in the quoted tweet, but only if you click on it.

https://twitter.com/4n4lisis/status/1504008208578494476?s=21

It’s amazing how after reading the idiots read for so long that somehow Russia’s making American officers look like geniuses.

Oh poo poo the 150th are the dudes who took the Reichstag.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Joke Miriam posted:

Oh poo poo the 150th are the dudes who took the Reichstag.

Now they can't take a Gruppestag

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Theres companies like Whitefox that have solutions already, from jamming or hijacking, to using birds of prey.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1504194054585831429?s=20&t=nOT7wuirxmt7f1BWaWUKUg

:stare:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

you can also use these big dorky syfy channel looking things

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There are anti-drone guns. Some use jamming signals and other things to gently caress with their controls and drop them. Others are net cannons. Birds of prey have also been used. Here's a video with some things in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5DlAZ20-hw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I bet this is more Russian fuckery, tbh, to try to drag them into the war.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/ckoettl/status/1504182123531485187

damnit. drat them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

you can also use these big dorky syfy channel looking things

Why use ali express toys when you can justify spending on falcons?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"When the general in front of you falls, pick up his rank and continue forward. When you fall, the lieutenant behind you will pick up the rank, and continue forward."

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Javelins are the traditional approach - here's one being used to knock down a Russian drone :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOnjlyZf6LE

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Thanks for the answers. Somehow I doubt the Russian front-lines are carrying this type of equipment from the number of drone videos that keep popping up.

G1mby posted:

Javelins are the traditional approach - here's one being used to knock down a Russian drone :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOnjlyZf6LE

Okay, this is the best answer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Thanks for the answers. Somehow I doubt the Russian front-lines are carrying this type of equipment from the number of drone videos that keep popping up.

Okay, this is the best answer.

they didn't even bring enough *food*

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

"When the general in front of you falls, pick up his rank and continue forward. When you fall, the lieutenant behind you will pick up the rank, and continue forward."

I like the term my dad had for it: “Equality at the front.”

He also said that the troops at the front probably appreciate it. :iceburn:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Now I want to play Shadow of Ukraine

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

raminasi posted:

The art came from an avatar thread, I think in YOSPOS, years ago. I don't know where the original creator got the source material. The text is a phrase from Goodbye to All That.
The art looks a lot like a clip from the original Blade Runner.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The City Council had reported that 11,000 civilians had been able to leave the city earlier in the day, so maybe the theater wasn't as crowded as previously?

Faint hope, I know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Russian propaganda is now saying that the theatre and maternity hospital were both nazi false flags to serve some purpose that I cannot divine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/16/russia-ukraine-war-news-zelensky-live-updates/#link-JYZ3EMBELVFHJNJQ4DOO7OZMZA

Russia has lost 10% of its pre-invasion forces and has now committed 70% of its total battalion tactical groups (that is, across its entire military) to Ukraine.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 16, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

Russian propaganda is now saying that the theatre and maternity hospital were both nazi false flags to serve some purpose that I cannot divine.

Giving C-SPAM types more talking points.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

"if they weren't nazis they wouldn't have gotten in the way of Russian bombs, " presumably.

Remember that for this crowd "Nazi" and "anti-Russian" are synonyms.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

That’s what happens when your officer corp is deliberately filled with morons; as opposed to just America where it’s more a function of officers then deliberate policy.

But still that’s insane. I mean The wood minister I mean minister of the defense l would probably never show up l anywhere, but the most tightly controlled areas in Ukraine, because somebody would probably be able to pop them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Do they just like not have any ncos at all?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/TobyWBlack/status/1504209878289682436?s=20&t=9NavRRDYvUVI_Cp-fq5c3Q

This could be big, if true.

"How to isolate yourself from the world and lose your stooge regimes in 30 days or less"?

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 17, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

psydude posted:

There's probably a misunderstanding somewhere in there. Russians use the "eastern" system where the general ranks start with MG, instead of the "western" system where the first general rank is Brigadier. So Russian MG is equivalent to OF-6, and leads a brigade. Divisions are led by LGs. I'd expect there to be ~60 russian MGs on the field.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

sneakyfrog posted:

I think somebody posted an explainer in here a little while ago, but the gist of it was that, while they do have NCOs, they don't exactly have an NCO corps (oh god don't kill me for using that phrase, it was the only thing I could think of!!). They really just have officers and enlisted dudes who don't have low-level authority and can't/won't exercise initiative.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't think it's a coup

Other reporting saying it was sonic booms and live fire exercises. NAU is just being loud with their views I suspect. We'd be getting a lot more chatter if it were a coup

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

There's probably a misunderstanding somewhere in there. Russians use the "eastern" system where the general ranks start with MG, instead of the "western" system where the first general rank is Brigadier. So Russian MG is equivalent to OF-6, and leads a brigade. Divisions are led by LGs. I'd expect there to be ~60 russian MGs on the field.

56 now

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
So basically and please correct me if I'm wrong, the boogyman from my childhood has nukes but proper small unit tactics breaks the poo poo out of them. Cool cool. Glad I practiced hiding under my desk in school

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

sneakyfrog posted:

The Russian army still inherits part of the Soviet military organization, which was based around having a large army of conscripts and reserves. Because of that, they weren't planning on having senior NCOs hanging around in the army for 20 years, the regular army training pipeline doesn't support that. So the jobs you'd expect to see given to those senior NCOs are given to lower officer grades, who have correspondingly less authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From the Wall Street Journal article linked upthread https://archive.ph/1nPmH#selection-2089.0-2089.384

quote:

Mr. Dombrovsky, the reconnaissance-unit commander, said he captured several soldiers in their early 20s and a 31-year-old senior lieutenant from the Russian military intelligence. The lieutenant, he said, had forced a private to swap uniforms but was discovered because of the age discrepancy—and because Ukrainian forces found Russian personnel files in the column’s command vehicle.