Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Someone just linked me to this and I'm surprised I didn't hear it from this thread first.

It's a daily mail link so I just leave the partial URL here

health/article-10001093/Impotent-mans-partner-accidentally-deploys-insulation-foam-inside-urethra-sex-act.html

even if that wasn't a DM link you still couldn't pay me enough to click it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My heating oil quote is over 3x what I paid last time (a week after covid started and prices were rock bottom). Almost £1 a litre more.

Starting to dislike this Putin chap.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

sassassin posted:

My heating oil quote is over 3x what I paid last time (a week after covid started and prices were rock bottom). Almost £1 a litre more.

Starting to dislike this Putin chap.

The price went insane before the invasion, before the troop build up even.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Do Not Putin Chap" will appear as a warning on all spray insulation cans

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Time to protect your oil tanks. Neighbours back home got a delivery of oil last week, and a few days later found out some fucker siphoned some during the night.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 16, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My mother's probably glad she managed to sell her house finally in November. That was all oil-fired hot water, central heating etc.
I guess I should check what sort of heating is in the house she's put in an offer on subject to woodworm report!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Time to protect your oil tanks. Neighbours back home got a delivery of oil last week, and a few days later found out some fucker siphoned some during the night.

That happens all the time in Dublin, even with tanks I wouldnt have thought were remotely accessible.

Glad I'm not on an oil tank, those price shocks seem a lot more severe. I'll just rely on spray-foaming all of my orifices to retain body heat instead

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nope, wrong thread again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Barry Foster posted:

It's necessary, because it's kicking back against the enormous ignorance regarding western involvement in the rise of pretty much all of the west's boogeymen, who - if you were to take the mainstream narratives at face value - all popped out out of nowhere, like some sort of evil aristotelian spontaneous generation, and hate us for "our freedoms", etc., rather than complicated, murky and frankly incredibly mucky international realpolitiking. Nor should it be surprising that a very large percentage of said realpolitiking was done, inevitably, by the world's imperial centre (the US) and its satellites, which certainly throughout the 20th century had (and to a lesser extent, still has) enormously more soft and hard power to actually Make Things Happen (Usually Bad).

Basically, I don't think that in the grand scheme of things, making sure everyone remembers that we almost always played some major part in laying down the rakes we then step on later is more of a problem than thinking that the enemies of the west appeared sui generis from the satan dimension. I don't think you do either, but still, I don't think it's an issue at all.

Do you really think that most readers in this thread aren't aware that the Iranian PM was deposed in a CIA -backed coup in '53, which led to a repressive regime and in turn the revolution of '79 which installed the current government, and further, the extent of Western interventionism and imperialism which gave rise to numerous situations like this?

In the specific case of Iran, Iran has never been a colony, and the current government has been place in some form for 43 years. If they are still doing bad stuff, then it's on them. Yes, the west gave rise to the conditions that allowed those men (and it is men) to take power, but it did not make them exercise that power in the way that they have since done.

And even if we are all aware of it, it feels to me like it is often used to somehow absolve these countries of their misdeeds, as if their responsibility for their own actions is reduced. It might be going too far to say that it is almost like a very subtle form of racism, that the way that they behave is due to Western influences, and they wouldn't have done so without it because they don't have sufficient agency.

Julio Cruz posted:

even if that wasn't a DM link you still couldn't pay me enough to click it

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Something I've realised recently is that people need to realise that there's a difference between examining why history happens, and wanting history to flow one way or another. This is essentially the difference between historical materialism and idealism.

Sure, Iran could turn into a liberal democracy tomorrow, and I could hope that's true. But it's not going to - the current government is under no incentive to do so and is secure in its power as a theocracy. But we can examine the reasons why the Iranian government reacts the way it does - sanctions, past coups, etc. This isn't to rob them of agency but to explain why governments - even the US - rarely act with agency but are driven by past forces.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

therattle posted:

Do you really think that most readers in this thread aren't aware that the Iranian PM was deposed in a CIA -backed coup in '53, which led to a repressive regime and in turn the revolution of '79 which installed the current government, and further, the extent of Western interventionism and imperialism which gave rise to numerous situations like this?

Historically this thread has had many lurkers.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Not So Fast posted:

Something I've realised recently is that people need to realise that there's a difference between examining why history happens, and wanting history to flow one way or another. This is essentially the difference between historical materialism and idealism.

Sure, Iran could turn into a liberal democracy tomorrow, and I could hope that's true. But it's not going to - the current government is under no incentive to do so and is secure in its power as a theocracy. But we can examine the reasons why the Iranian government reacts the way it does - sanctions, past coups, etc. This isn't to rob them of agency but to explain why governments - even the US - rarely act with agency but are driven by past forces.

Yeah one of the side effects of the US helping their pet faction take power, is that the leaders and assets of other factions are now destroyed. This tends to change history, which doesn't follow some moral path of progress, it follows material conditions.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If a US backed coup can't change history in a meaningful way then I'm not sure what the proles are meant to do to change it. Thoughts and prayers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

If a US backed coup can't change history in a meaningful way then I'm not sure what the proles are meant to do to change it. Thoughts and prayers.

You ok, hun? <3

(FB comment for those who are not familiar. Often follows 'thoughts and prayers' comments with praying hands and heart emojis.)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just doing the maths on my utility bills from next month. Jan 2020 monthly cost ~£55, current is ~£80, next month it will be ~£120. I can afford to swallow that but I wonder how many people just don't realise how much they're going to be hit...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Fck nu Labour, they just lie.

quote:

A new political consensus
Bradshaw believes that these kinds of arguments have not always met a receptive audience in his own party. The Labour MP, who is a long-term critic of Jeremy Corbyn, says his arguments failed to get a hearing from his former leader, who he describes as a “Putin apologist”.

“We could have done a lot more to expose the relationships between the Kremlin and far right-parties and organisations across the whole of Europe, including the Leave campaign”, he says.

“But because Corbyn wasn’t interested in any of that it was left to a small group of us on the backbenches to pursue this and I think to a large extent, we were sort of treated as rather eccentric, Remainer obsessives.”

Allies of Corbyn point out that while he was heavily criticised by some for his response to the Sergei Skripal poisoning, the former Labour leader did also have a record of criticising Putin and was shouted down in Parliament when he raised the issue of Russian funding of the Conservative Party.

source: https://bylinetimes.com/2022/03/15/russia-uk-mps-warned-londongrad-boris-johnson-bradshaw-byrne/

Oct 4, 2005

My energy bill is still in limbo because of my provider going bust and the change over to the new provider.

All I know is my credit balance has vanished and somehow theres a bill to pay for the company that went under.

I expect when the dust settles I'm in for a shock.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Rumours sweeping Belfast of people following oil tanker lorries to watch where they deliver to houses and then swiping it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

My MP, everyone

I can't believe I campaigned for him

He was (and is) opposed to everything I hold dear

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

What a stupid oval office. At least the article eye rolls for a paragraph.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 'pro-Putin' corbynite "we should investigate Russian money in 2014, years before anyone cared, not because it is specifically Russian but because it is a corrupting influence."

The 'anti-Putin' pragmatist "more dog tails, Igor, thpthpthpthp."

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I was wrong to say Monbiot was "a good lad" or anything of the sort. I apologise to the thread. He's a stupid propagandist oval office.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1503758826461409287?s=20&t=nevz0b8kOlN2VaDfqWo59w

Anybody writing "There's a war going on, here's why that makes the Left bad and wrong" is a straight up propagandist or worm-brained idiot. No exceptions.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just doing the maths on my utility bills from next month. Jan 2020 monthly cost ~£55, current is ~£80, next month it will be ~£120. I can afford to swallow that but I wonder how many people just don't realise how much they're going to be hit...
Right now the only people who've noticed are people who check their bills regularly and people who check the news, which is a huge minority. Most people just let their bills autopilot on direct debit, so it won't be until power companies either manually raise people's direct debits or start sending out letters saying how much people owe and demanding they turn up their monthly payments that I think people will start to realise how much bills are going up.

According to bulb, my monthly minimum has gone from £40 to £113, but they always do this after winter because they have the memory of a loving goldfish and forget how much credit we build up over the summer.

E: Actually it occurs to me that a lot of people will only notice when they get to autumn and suddenly notice they've built up zero credit over the summer. Until then it'll be mostly poor people on key meters who are affected and as always, nobody'll notice until the middle class is affected.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 16, 2022

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I was wrong to say Monbiot was "a good lad" or anything of the sort. I apologise to the thread. He's a stupid propagandist oval office.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1503758826461409287?s=20&t=nevz0b8kOlN2VaDfqWo59w

Anybody writing "There's a war going on, here's why that makes the Left bad and wrong" is a straight up propagandist or worm-brained idiot. No exceptions.

Monbiot and others like Paul Mason seem to be taking this as an opportunity to attack their old posting rivals. Nuclear war could happen and Oz Katerji would get one last jab in at Owen Jones.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

The left who blame the war on nothing more than NATO expansion are propogandists or worm-brained idiots and should be criticised.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The left who blame the war on nothing more than NATO expansion are propogandists or worm-brained idiots and should be criticised.

Do you think there are many actual leftists who do that?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

I've seen a few in the wild posting comments on FB threads.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Or organising Stop the War protests.

There's a genuine debate around NATO and general de-militarisation, but the moment Putin started a war, all discussion should be parked to avoid suggesting it in the slightest justifies any of Putin's actions (or even motivated him)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

WhatEvil posted:

Surprisingly so, sadly, and not just tankies. I've had to mute and unfollow quite a few people over the past couple of weeks for having some very poo poo takes like that.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Look at this thread.
https://twitter.com/polinaivanovva/status/1504146157496418305

Putin is going full, bonafide, camps and purges fascism and the tories have key people at the height of power under his thumb and even if they weren't, they would be frothing to follow suit anyway. If this poo poo spreads the only thing stopping the UK landing fully on the wrong side of this is public opinion which is mercifully opposed to this right now and, as we all know, is absolutely not guaranteed to stay that way.

It's not time to play "no true scotsman" and "which centrist oval office can get in the sea in which order".

e: video if you prefer

https://twitter.com/just_whatever/status/1504144895501557762

quote:

I am convinced that such a natural and self-purification of society will only strengthen our county...

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 17, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Another banger

https://twitter.com/soozuk/status/1504125223993495555

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

It's not time to play "no true scotsman" and "which centrist oval office can get in the sea in which order".

e: video if you prefer

https://twitter.com/just_whatever/status/1504144895501557762

I don't really care what order they do it in so long as they do it tbqh

Pablo Bluth posted:

Or organising Stop the War protests.

There's a genuine debate around NATO and general de-militarisation, but the moment Putin started a war, all discussion should be parked to avoid suggesting it in the slightest justifies any of Putin's actions (or even motivated him)

Sorry, if there's a discussion to be had then we can have it while the topic is newsworthy or we won't have it all because that's how the news cycle works.

Acknowledging one thing that may have, amongst others, been part of Putin’s insane mental calculation that lead to him deciding to go to war in Ukraine in March, during the rasputitsa, is not justifying anything or defending anyone, we're not children, we should be able to talk about these things without taking childlike leaps of logic.

Acknowledging the Red Scare & general Cold War lunacy that drove American foreign policy across the 3rd world isn't an attempt to justify them for getting involved in Vietnam. Acknowledging western imperialism in the Middle East & the preference for stable but insane monarchs over democratically elected officials isn't an attempt to justify 9/11.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I wouldn't call them actual leftists, but they do position themselves as leftists.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Facebook is filling up with misleading/scam adverts from various firms (probably the same one in different names) for claiming tax rebates for WFH. Headlining you get £312 but you don't, if you get it it's 20% of £312 so £62.40.

And these firms are advertising "no win no fee" and they'll take 36% as their fee 'if successful' with a minimum charge of £30+VAT (£36) or if you get less than that, they'll take the lot. So basically you'll get £26.40 instead of £62.40.

I'm reporting them as scams when I see them, don't know if FB will do anything about it.

Dread to think how many people are falling for it. And it's really riling up 'key workers' who think they're missing out on £00s.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

You're a drat good egg, Jaeluni

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Facebook is filling up with misleading/scam adverts from various firms (probably the same one in different names) for claiming tax rebates for WFH. Headlining you get £312 but you don't, if you get it it's 20% of £312 so £62.40.

And these firms are advertising "no win no fee" and they'll take 36% as their fee 'if successful' with a minimum charge of £30+VAT (£36) or if you get less than that, they'll take the lot. So basically you'll get £26.40 instead of £62.40.

I'm reporting them as scams when I see them, don't know if FB will do anything about it.

Dread to think how many people are falling for it. And it's really riling up 'key workers' who think they're missing out on £00s.

I've been banned from the comments of this company for pointing out their policies previously. Its also worth noting that they take control of all of your tax rebates, not just this one. If you let them get you this rebate they then get 36% of anything else in the future unless you specifically write to them terminating that relationship. Even so much as asking for a quote gives them this power if not explicitly rescinded.

Might be worth mentioning to people you know, its incredibly underhanded.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Someone just linked me to this and I'm surprised I didn't hear it from this thread first.

It's a daily mail link so I just leave the partial URL here

health/article-10001093/Impotent-mans-partner-accidentally-deploys-insulation-foam-inside-urethra-sex-act.html

Many such cases

E; to seriouspost for a second, I never liked Monbiot but I didn't think he'd go poster's brain, it's very funny though, always love to be vindicated in disliking someone. I can understand why some people are posting through it though, like, the last few years haven't been amazing and now this war occurs and upends an awful lot of received wisdom, plenty of people are casting about for Explanations.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 17, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

The 45-year-old patient had to have a new opening cut between his scrotum and his anus to urinate when the foam hardened and became 'anchored' in his penis.

Just a little excerpt for your Thursday morning

E: the daily mail has a fetish

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 17, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Every time I read george monbiot's name I hear brian butterfield saying "bonbonbonbon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm no seamster but I feel that a sewing needle the same size as a twix would be fairly impractical