Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol god has punished me for my posts in this thread by locking up the tilt mechanism on my old-rear end aeron. gonna hose it down with some silicone lub then wack it with a mallet. if that doesn’t work, it’s second embody time. wish me luck, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

lol god has punished me for my posts in this thread by locking up the tilt mechanism on my old-rear end aeron. gonna hose it down with some silicone lub then wack it with a mallet. if that doesn’t work, it’s second embody time. wish me luck, goons.

drat, must be Aeron Bad Luck Day! Hip pivot bolt (or, rather, the plastic flange around that) went out on my wife's chair today. Luckly I had a bolt with the same thread pattern in the garage, so I was able to bodge something together until the replacement bolt gets here next week.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

drat, must be Aeron Bad Luck Day! Hip pivot bolt (or, rather, the plastic flange around that) went out on my wife's chair today. Luckly I had a bolt with the same thread pattern in the garage, so I was able to bodge something together until the replacement bolt gets here next week.
i had a big fat idiot over at my house break one on mine. thankfully it was a ~$20 and 10 minute fix.

i might end up replacing the whole bottom end on mine to replace tired hydraulic piston and scuffed base. looking around, i should be able to get the parts for <$100

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

i had a big fat idiot over at my house break one on mine. thankfully it was a ~$20 and 10 minute fix.

i might end up replacing the whole bottom end on mine to replace tired hydraulic piston and scuffed base. looking around, i should be able to get the parts for <$100

My bodge failed :(

The bolt I have isn't as long as I'd want, so I can't get a washer over it. It seems that it doesn't take much pressure to slip the bolt head through the plastic ring.

We have a spare chair (that also needs some work, WorkPro Quantum 9000 or something where the back doesn't lock in any positions anymore) so that'll last until Monday or Tuesday when the bolts arrive. Oh well.

If it happens again, I may just decide to go to the hardware store and build a replacement bolt assembly that doesn't rely so heavily on a plastic ring.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The bottom of my piston farted out a squirt of black oil and now the seat height drops a bit if I lean too far to the side.

Is this one of those times where I'm supposed to reoil the cylinder or whatever to fix the gas seal?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Roumba posted:

Is this one of those times where I'm supposed to reoil the cylinder or whatever to fix the gas seal?
a new gas cylinder for like ~$35 on amazon, which is what i’m doing when i replace my frozen tilt mechanism for a $40 used part on ebay

Zarin posted:

My bodge failed :(
an entire take-off bolt/bearing assembly is like $20 for a pair on the spare parts supply stores, and goes in fairly easily/quickly. might as well grab two in case the other one goes out!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a beautiful mid century modern desk chair that is also a pain to sit in. I need something more ergonomic, but I would prefer something that looks cool. The Aeron and Embody do not come to mind. Any suggestions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Steelcase Silq? Otherwise Humanscale have some nice stuff, the Summa looks great but it's also 4 grand.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a beautiful mid century modern desk chair that is also a pain to sit in. I need something more ergonomic, but I would prefer something that looks cool. The Aeron and Embody do not come to mind. Any suggestions?
imagine simping for “midcentury modern” like it’s still 2012, then spurning out of hand the modern continuation of that movement

incredible!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

imagine simping for “midcentury modern” like it’s still 2012, then spurning out of hand the modern continuation of that movement

incredible!
Imagine vehemently arguing something is "mid century modern" because it says Herman Miller on it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Imagine vehemently arguing something is "mid century modern" because it says Herman Miller on it
the aeron and embody arent mid-century modern (and thank god! what a long-dead fad!), they are the continuation and improvement of that tradition. it’s no mistake they are made by HM. the aeron is the late-century eames lounge! the embody is, uh, a noguchi coffee table?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Can anyone identify this chair?

It's local for me and trying to get a good deal, but far so I don't wanna waste my time trying to drive over there.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Can anyone identify this chair?

It's local for me and trying to get a good deal, but far so I don't wanna waste my time trying to drive over there.

It's probably the Autonomous Ergochair Pro?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sneeze Party posted:

It's probably the Autonomous Ergochair Pro?

Yeah, that's Autonomous all right. I know some other communities soft- or hard-ban posting about them because of astroturfing, so keep that in mind when looking at reviews.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I've been using the Autonomous ErgoChair Pro for a little over a year now, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt because I'm not sure how long this thing is going to actually last. It's definitely better for sitting on for long durations (such as a full day of WFH) than my old Maxnomic racing chair. However I'm not confident that the cushion will stand the test of time and one absolutely minor gripe I have with it is it is a magnet for dog hair and by the time it does fail me it's going to leave my rear end looking like Chewbacca the last time I get up from it.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 7, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tangentially related to chairs: Anyone have recommendation for a hardwood floor protector? I'm moving my computer office into another room and would like to take better care of the floor than the room its being moved out of.

Local stores only stock the ones for carpets that have the prickly spikes on the bottom.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Change your chair castors to hard floor ones - they have soft rubber tyre-like wheels on and they roll across the floor rather than sliding

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Good idea!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally I get to post positively here. Got an Aeron Classic in decent shape for $80 last night - needs a new cylinder (go figure, it's 30 years old) but otherwise in solid condition, mesh is fine, and even managed to avoid any weird smells. I'll report back once the cylinder is replaced, but even if it doesn't work for me, my dad needs a new chair too, so it's got two chances to work out.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it looked hopeless

but i was victorious

and now i'm tilting again, baby! plus a fresh piston!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Finally I get to post positively here. Got an Aeron Classic in decent shape for $80 last night - needs a new cylinder (go figure, it's 30 years old) but otherwise in solid condition, mesh is fine, and even managed to avoid any weird smells. I'll report back once the cylinder is replaced, but even if it doesn't work for me, my dad needs a new chair too, so it's got two chances to work out.
i hope you have a BIG wrench and anticipate a LOT more hammering than the instructional videos suggest.

it really is clever how the entire chair can be stripped to its individual parts using the same ~3 types of fastener. incredible level of serviceability

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 12, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

i hope you have a BIG wrench and anticipate a LOT more hammering than the instructional videos suggest.

it really is clever how the entire chair can be stripped to its individual parts using the same ~3 types of fastener. incredible level of serviceability

Yeah, this is a bastard compared to the Leap I took apart. Going to probably have to call in a favor for some help with this one.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Use a pipe wrench and a metal hammer. Some WD-40 sprayed in there and left to sit for 20 mins helps too.

Sab669 posted:

Tangentially related to chairs: Anyone have recommendation for a hardwood floor protector? I'm moving my computer office into another room and would like to take better care of the floor than the room its being moved out of.

Local stores only stock the ones for carpets that have the prickly spikes on the bottom.
I've had the Glaciermat recommended to me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

njsykora posted:

Got a very large chair.

More things should come in mint.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Duck and Cover posted:

More things should come in mint.
gamer chairs come in all sorts of circus colors as they are used by clowns

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Got a Steelcase Leap v1 at home that needs a little work but is so much more comfortable than anything I've ever sat in at a desk.

My job is moving buildings in a few months and is basically acquiring all new stuff in the process, so I've asked about getting a new chair and inquired about a budget.

Boss: "Oh yeah I'm sure they can toss out $100 or something for a new chair. What were you thinking?"

Fuzz: "More like $1000."

Boss: :eyepop:

Fuzz: "We sit here for 8 hours every day and you were out all last season with serious back issues that you've said, repeatedly, were probably caused by your lovely chair."

Boss: :hmmyes:

So now we have a dream chair thread in Slack. I enjoy the Leap v1 I have and would be perfectly happy with another, but if I can try another fancy chair on someone else's dime then I'm gonna do it.

I'm not sold on mesh since I like something a bit more firm, but I also haven't sat in a nice quality mesh chair so my opinion might be skewed. I'm not big into high-backed chairs--one of the reasons I wanted the Leap v1 instead of v2 was the shorter backrest.

Any recommendations?

Also, comedy option, I find one as Supreme as my lovely, horse-obsessed coworker:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like the Humanscale Freedom Headrest

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, this is a bastard compared to the Leap I took apart. Going to probably have to call in a favor for some help with this one.

Followup - cylinder is replaced, height is adjustable... and the back tilt doesn't work at all, it's locked fully upright. Cool. This is going to be an adventure of a chair, I can tell. Anyone unjammed a classic Aeron back tilt before?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Followup - cylinder is replaced, height is adjustable... and the back tilt doesn't work at all, it's locked fully upright. Cool. This is going to be an adventure of a chair, I can tell. Anyone unjammed a classic Aeron back tilt before?

When I first bought mine used and got it home, I THOUGHT the back was locked permanently upright, which was weird since I tested it at the store. Turns out it felt very locked until I shook it and wiggled it enough and it popped back into the right working position. Kind of like when you use the tilt lock at full upright, then turn tilt lock off, you still need to wiggle around until tilt lock disengages.

That's what worked for me but yours might be legitimately broken in some other way.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Did it work before you changed the cylinder?

Similar to what Inner Light is saying, I'm wondering if something internally got flipped/stuck when it was turned upside down, and if a bit of wiggling/tilting/leaning forward couldn't unstick it.

If you weren't able to check before the cylinder change then, though, I've got nothing :(

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Did it work before you changed the cylinder?

Similar to what Inner Light is saying, I'm wondering if something internally got flipped/stuck when it was turned upside down, and if a bit of wiggling/tilting/leaning forward couldn't unstick it.

If you weren't able to check before the cylinder change then, though, I've got nothing :(

I didn't even think to test it before the cylinder was fixed. I did get some internal photos if they're of any use. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
bought a secretlab Titan evo thanks to some comments in this thread and elsewhere and i really like it. i was using a nearly 25 year old office chair from a lower end Steelcase subsidiary for years and it was totally shot to hell - crushed padding, one broken arm adjustment, etc. loving this one so far. the seat is firm but doesnt actively damage by buttcrack. reclining base is a game changer.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My Costco generic office chair has finally died. My wife wants me to get a good ergo chair but I am having a hard time with the price tag or the idea of a used chair.

I really like the HM Embody, but my god it is expensive. For those that have purchased it retail, was it worth it or should I not be a stupid person and get a used high end chair like a pleb?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I personally really like Ikea's Markus. But, I just also got a standing desk. Which was expensive. But so drat worth it. I cannot comment if a Herman Miller is better than a Markus+standing desk though, but my rear end couldn't take a chair anymore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My Costco generic office chair has finally died. My wife wants me to get a good ergo chair but I am having a hard time with the price tag or the idea of a used chair.

I really like the HM Embody, but my god it is expensive. For those that have purchased it retail, was it worth it or should I not be a stupid person and get a used high end chair like a pleb?

You are definitely in the wrong thread if you're hoping to hear any opinion but "spend four figures on a chair it's worth it."

The thing is--if you can afford the initial outlay, you will spend less money on chairs over the course of your life if you spend the four figures on a chair that will last 15 years or more, rather than low-mid three figures on a chair that will last 5 years tops, probably less. Vimes "Boots" Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness in action.

If your wife doesn't actually know or care about the difference then sure whatever go cheap, but any chair advertising itself as ~ergonomic~ that costs much less than $500 is ripping you off. They fall apart quickly. She and you should be aware that the price of low/midmarket office chairs has more than doubled across the board in the past two years, though.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You are definitely in the wrong thread if you're hoping to hear any opinion but "spend four figures on a chair it's worth it."

The thing is--if you can afford the initial outlay, you will spend less money on chairs over the course of your life if you spend the four figures on a chair that will last 15 years or more, rather than low-mid three figures on a chair that will last 5 years tops, probably less. Vimes "Boots" Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness in action.

If your wife doesn't actually know or care about the difference then sure whatever go cheap, but any chair advertising itself as ~ergonomic~ that costs much less than $500 is ripping you off. They fall apart quickly. She and you should be aware that the price of low/midmarket office chairs has more than doubled across the board in the past two years, though.

Yeah if it wasn't for her I'd just buy another cheap office chair for $200 and call it a day, but as they say I'm not getting any younger. She's big on ergonomics and wants me to drop the cash so I guess I just have to make sure I get the best one for me.

The embody seems nice, and I've sat in one and liked it. :shrug:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah if it wasn't for her I'd just buy another cheap office chair for $200 and call it a day, but as they say I'm not getting any younger. She's big on ergonomics and wants me to drop the cash so I guess I just have to make sure I get the best one for me.

The embody seems nice, and I've sat in one and liked it. :shrug:

That's the key - there have been chairs that I thought I would love based on what I read, but when I sat in them I was kinda disappointed. There have also been other chairs that weren't much to look at but turned out to fit me real well.

Make sure you have done as much as you can to guarantee you're going to get a chair you're going to like. Also check out the return policy; most places that offer the expensive chairs usually have decent return policies as well. Then be ready to give it at least a week or two before you decide for sure.

Yeah, the initial outlay stings. But as was mentioned, you're purchasing durability and an overall lower Total Cost of Ownership given a long enough timeframe.

My one big suggestion is to take the "Retail" pricing with a big grain of salt. Those numbers are B2B Comedy Numbers. Especially for Herman Miller stuff, see if you can't find a licensed dealer nearby to work with. Ask if you can get a corporate discount (if you work for a big company). Ask if you can get a small business discount if you don't. Ask for a WFH discount if nothing else applies. Anything! I think typically your sales guy should be able to do something for you and maybe get that 4-figure chair down into the high 3 figures instead. Probably depends on the dealer though, but I had good luck namedropping my company when I bought my wife's chair and then again 5 years later when I decided to get something good for myself.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I bought a HM used at a decent discount over new, and I’d be willing to pay the new price for it. Granted it’s an aeron not embody, and I work from home so I’m in it most of the day. If I were only using it an hour a day or so, maybe I’d think different.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
If I'd had a little bit more cash to spare, I would've opted for a Steelcase Leap instead of a Titan. It seems like the most affordable brand new chair from a major company: https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/leap/

One week on and I can attest that switching from a busted piece of poo poo to a chair with ergonomics and posture adjustment make a HUGE difference. I'd been having lower back issues for weeks and they're already solved.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm on team "used high end chair" . Hell it doesn't even have to be high end. I'm lucky to have this place in town, https://www.officefurnituresa.com/product-category/office-chairs/task-chairs/, and I went down there with the intention of buying an Aeron. Turns out I don't like the Aeron at all, and picked up a HM Celle instead for 200 bucks. Was it in perfect condition? No, but between the kids and cats nothing in my house is perfect. I've had it a year maybe and I love it.

I'll probably get down there sometime soon and replace my kids pc chairs with the Steelcase Criterions they have for 70 bucks each. The "gaming" chairs I got them at Costco are legit falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'll just say, at least from my experience, Steelcase Criterion is horrible. I still have it, and it mainly sits in the corner of the room. A cheap folding chair is better on the back. Name brand isn't everything, and everybody is different, but the back on that thing is awful for me.

Side topic, anybody try any of those active sitting things? The wobble stools, stuff like that? Seems interesting for a bit here and there. Ikea has some.