Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Adding a +1 to it not being very clear, after a few rounds I paid more attention to where I could move and suddenly it clicked.

That battle made me realize that a lot of gimmicks in Bomberman battle courses would translate well into SRPG maps.

Taear posted:

It turns out my playthrough netted me 1900 liberty, 1100 morality and only 700 utility so I've got a big ramp of utility to go through. Man I'm sad I missed out on the hawk shield guy, he's amazing.

I got him in, I think, Chapter XIX, so I probably have similar ratings. I know I'm missing quite a few characters.

One person who joined my party late but managed to find a spot was Groma. I wanted to use her out of principal, but thought her skills were rather basic. Then I noticed her stats.... she has the highest evade next to Milo AND gets desperate evasion. I assume she becomes the evasion version of of Erador (except doesn't shatter to pieces if you light a match near her).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like NG+ just setting your levels to 40 and balancing around that would have been better than the experience I'm currently having.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Yeah I wish they capped the levels, gave me some way of grinding all the characters to max class ranks, and weapons and it would have become a cool game of recognizing which units truly serve each map best. Instead it's still largely a grind, with no good way to keep all your characters viable, better to focus on a core group. The first NG+ map on hard was a truly brutal slog even above the recommended level, which I honestly kind of loved.

In reflection, I think the character advancement stuff is kind of dull, I like this better as a strategy game than as an RPG I think, in terms of the rpg stats numbers and advancement.

There was no way for me to check what I needed to recruit everybody, I assume I got everyone in my first playthrough? Or how do I actually do it?

Narratively. I think this game suffers from its ending paths greatly, each final path feels like a hard pivot from the narrative, cutting out a ton of significant stories you'd resolve on the other paths. I find this pretty typical of most 'true ending' based games, but it's particular jarring in that I enjoyed the storytelling a lot up to that point.

edit: Oh some characters are route based, of course.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 16, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

There was no way for me to check what I needed to recruit everybody, I assume I got everyone in my first playthrough? Or how do I actually do it?
edit: Oh some characters are route based, of course.

New Game Plus, Chapter V. And, as your edit attests, definitely not all the characters the first time through. I didn't grind very much (I repeated maybe 3 or 4 mental mock battles to catch certain units I wanted to use leveled up), and I'm missing 4 route-specific people, let alone the recruits you get through conviction.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 16, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Levantine posted:

I started using Very Easy on my second playthrough to beeline through it (after doing Hard) and honestly, from a pure stat perspective, it feels like it's balanced like most other SRPGs. You can send units into groups and expect them to have a better than even chance of coming out before getting overwhelmed. Enemies are still faster for whatever reason. I think Speed as a stat just carries a ton of weight.

Yea I very much enjoy the fact that my units don't die in 3 hits and it doesn't take the concerted effort of like 6 units to kill a single enemy.

I'm really surprised people found the mine cart thing weird because I feel like they explained it really well! Maybe it helps that I started next to one, I dunno. It IS dumb that the exploration phase lets you move them around a load before you really know what the purpose of that is gonna be however.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Mainly it's force deploying Roland, who I am realising more and more is just utter garbage.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

his mobility+ramming makes him a pretty fun unit to be behind enemy lines and distracting the ai to go and futily chase him, plus if he can hit a flank and you establish a frontline he can nail four people in a line with relatively reliability due to his high movement.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Mainly it's force deploying Roland, who I am realising more and more is just utter garbage.
I was tickled at the conclusion to chapter XIV part one where he defeated Avlora in single combat. In what universe my good man

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every time I've ever oopsed someone to death on turn 10 then gone on to clear the fight easily, it's been Roland.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Flash of steel is nuts, chews through groups, roland is a pretty good unit. He dies often for me but I always get some good use out of him before then.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Compared to the options you have deep in:

Roland has low attack, low defenses and no way to canto in/out of combat. If he attacks someone he's committed and pretty much gets dogpiled immediately by the AI because his low defense is catnip to them.

Your comparatives for people in similar mobile attacker jobs are:

Spoilers for lategame: Lyla, who has a 5 square jump + extra action, so she can jump in, hit something and then run out. As well as better defenses because of her evasion and better utility because of her mass charm/poison/TP debuffs

And spoilers for a super cool character Maxwell, who has a 3 square jump ability + extra action and then all Roland's spear skills, an inbuilt resurrection as well as TP restoration alongside better defense and speed multipliers.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 16, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Flanagan is solid at this too... have been using Aerial Assault into a crowd then fly back to the group for safety. Really great since they also have the -1 TP ability on using it.

I'm still not into Roland even though I'm forcing myself to use him on this playthrough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cardinale posted:

I was tickled at the conclusion to chapter XIV part one where he defeated Avlora in single combat. In what universe my good man

I don’t think that ever happens.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

I watched the scene yesterday on my playthrough. Although if you mean she threw that fight and is chilling somewhere, possibly with the other guy that fell in the river, I could see that

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I like Roland well enough so far, though I don't really have anyone else that fills his niche yet. If I could change one thing, though, it would be to let you choose which enemy Opportune Attack procs against. Yes Roland, I definitely wanted you to poke that shieldbearer for 10 damage instead of taking another chunk out of the caster that I'm trying to rush down asap.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I mean, it did in my game! It was unbelievable but it happened! I'm fairly certain you find she's A-OK on another route and can recruit her but that was not the route I took

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
avolra didn't lose, she just decided to take a water nap

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 16, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Flash of steel is nuts, chews through groups, roland is a pretty good unit. He dies often for me but I always get some good use out of him before then.

Yea flash of steel is a great skill
I do agree Roland often gets welped really commonly but flash of steel is real nice

I've not had much luck with the level 3 abilities but that one is 100% worth the cost

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The person struggling to justify their slot right now is Hughette. Some maps just...don't favor her and her surprisingly short range, she needs elevation to have range worth a drat.

Feel like I'm usually better off just having Frederica and Corentin as the ranged damage power hour posse.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

The person struggling to justify their slot right now is Hughette. Some maps just...don't favor her and her surprisingly short range, she needs elevation to have range worth a drat.

Feel like I'm usually better off just having Frederica and Corentin as the ranged damage power hour posse.

Honestly, if the map is tall, I bring archers, if it’s flat I bring mages. I love hughette for the status effects though honestly. Even on flat maps her ability to blind archers and melee is great.

That said I’ve got Hughette and I have the old man. I need more archers.

I’m rolling with like 4 mages currently.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Is there a New Game ++, and does it scale?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Good news! Hughette gets a +1 Range on her normal attack passive via weapon upgrades!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Even on flat maps hughette can be worth bringing since she gets back and follow up attacks which mages do not. She is made to abuse those moves. also shadowbinding arrow is a great control tool (though rudolph overall is the best "control" archer with traps, slumber, and eventually staggering)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m in Chapter XVII part I and it seems like this is the big path split for the final few chapters, and I am NOT happy with where things are going. Roland no why, WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE THAT???

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Roland is honestly probably the best character of the main 3 because the game does just allows him to be a gently caress up.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Speaking of Hughette, what is her Sights Set skill supposed to do?

It says it deals damage to enemies in range but it seems to do nothing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Speaking of Hughette, what is her Sights Set skill supposed to do?

It says it deals damage to enemies in range but it seems to do nothing.

Its overwatch, if an enemy moves and stops within her attack range she attacks them. I only ever use it when she can't can't hit anything on her current turn.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 17, 2022

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its overwatch, if an enemy moves into her range she makes an attack on them. Honestly doesn't seem that great, I only ever use it when she can't do anything else.

Do they have to move IN to her range? I thought it might be an overwatch so I procced it in the middle of a group of enemies and she didn't shoot at any of them. I figured she'd pop them when their turns came up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's one of the best skills in the game.

On archer favoured maps she'll pretty trivially get upwards of three shots per round which just destroys the action economy in her favour.

If you combine this with heal support or Pico's decoy to lure enemies into range then it's even more busted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Do they have to move IN to her range? I thought it might be an overwatch so I procced it in the middle of a group of enemies and she didn't shoot at any of them. I figured she'd pop them when their turns came up.

It procs at the end of the enemy's turn, so after they've moved. Also it uses her normal attack range, which means it has a minimum range, is affected by height and line of sight, etc. That said, the best way to think of it is as a huge AOE that can hit 8+ people at once, in ideal circumstances. It also works well with Focus because she's getting tons of attacks in a single turn and they're all buffed with extra accuracy and crit rate (tbh Focus seems kind of useless otherwise).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

There's so many tier 3 buyable abilities that SOUND really great and are just poo poo.
Serenoa's TP one and Frederica's AoE are coming to mind here, they're just way too situational

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Taear posted:

There's so many tier 3 buyable abilities that SOUND really great and are just poo poo.
Serenoa's TP one and Frederica's AoE are coming to mind here, they're just way too situational

They have drawbacks for sure, but are absolute killers if you can leverage them properly. Frankly, too few of them are useful without some type of outside TP generation. Medina makes all things possible. Frederica's AoE almost requires you to use the In Tandem Quietus or Benedict's ...Now! skill to be perfectly effective unless you can predict where the enemy will walk. Cast it then use whichever is faster and she'll cast immediately. My favorite is Ezana's skill since it hits everything and if you can keep feeding her TP she can just do it every round. Water maps are her happy place.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Frederica’s AoE is the trap and Picoletta’s decoy is the bait. Throw Hughette in with Sights Set and you got a melee mulcher stew brewin’.

Any AoE taunt will also work as bait, especially Erador with King’s Shield.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Levantine posted:

They have drawbacks for sure, but are absolute killers if you can leverage them properly. Frankly, too few of them are useful without some type of outside TP generation. Medina makes all things possible. Frederica's AoE almost requires you to use the In Tandem Quietus or Benedict's ...Now! skill to be perfectly effective unless you can predict where the enemy will walk. Cast it then use whichever is faster and she'll cast immediately. My favorite is Ezana's skill since it hits everything and if you can keep feeding her TP she can just do it every round. Water maps are her happy place.

That's kinda what I mean though. You CAN make them work, but it's so much faff
Whereas (for example) the Archmage's mystic bolt is just amazing and useful almost always.

I think I'm dropping my NG+ run. It doesn't feel quite different enough, the story is quite different and it's interesting seeing some fights from the other side but the combat just isn't interesting at this level.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Taear posted:

That's kinda what I mean though. You CAN make them work, but it's so much faff
Whereas (for example) the Archmage's mystic bolt is just amazing and useful almost always.

I think I'm dropping my NG+ run. It doesn't feel quite different enough, the story is quite different and it's interesting seeing some fights from the other side but the combat just isn't interesting at this level.

I don't know that I agree it's "faff" exactly, but more synergy. Frederica's AoE is probably the strongest AoE in the game, which is why it has a wind-up like that. You can negate the drawback through character synergy or a Quietus. Ezana's stuff is strong and but never hits as hard as Fred's stuff and her AoE also sets fires for terrain shenanigans.

That said, I do agree you can field a more "feature complete" team that doesn't need as much hand holding though.

edit: just a tip for NG+ - try fielding an entirely different team if you can. Skip story scenes you've already seen on the unified paths too. Make sure you're taking different paths. It may not feel different enough for you but it helped me. That said my playthrough is on hold for a while for Elden Ring but I'll get back to it eventually.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
NG+ hard feels a little odd.

I don't really want to field the same team every time but keeping everyone levelled is such a pain and the power differences between characters is getting to be really stark.

I can opt not to use Medina/Ezana but on the other hand they just kinda, end maps entirely by existing and the level of grief some maps give me for not using them is pretty significant.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

So you might not keep spoils if you retreat or lose a battle, but you keep the contents of treasure chests!

I just lost the lv27 mental mock battle with the treasure chests full of coin because I got too greedy and didn’t kill the boss quickly enough, but I still kept the 9000 coins I pulled from the chests so it was worth it!

Edit: gently caress I was wrong, drat it. That would’ve been too good to be true I guess.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 17, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

the theme of my 2nd run has been Narve and Julio becoming best friends while Lionel and Flanagan just piss everybody off.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In theory, Lionel seems useful. But I benched him after fielding him once, because I think he got 4 or so turns throughout an entire mental mock battle, and the results were subpar.

Does it get better? Does he have a good niche? Does he have good defensive or offensive growth?

Edit: are there any characters that can boost evasion/accuracy on other units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Prowler posted:

In theory, Lionel seems useful. But I benched him after fielding him once, because I think he got 4 or so turns throughout an entire mental mock battle, and the results were subpar.

Does it get better? Does he have a good niche? Does he have good defensive or offensive growth?

Edit: are there any characters that can boost evasion/accuracy on other units?

Lionell is incredibly hardy. High defense and HP. His main role for me was locking down mages. An enraged mage wont cast. Charm is good too but less reliable. Also more money from picking up bags which is hardly critical but nice.