Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I honestly have no idea who's going to win so I picked purely based on gut and the bots I like more

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

History repeats.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As is tradition, I'm betting on HUGE winning it all

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

I honestly have no idea who's going to win so I picked purely based on gut and the bots I like more

heads up: you forgot the play-ins

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rusty will drop in from the rafters on the winner, taking the nut for itself

Also, how heavy is the nut, how feasibly could you make a robot containing it in some way

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Preparing to be very wrong as always.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i have zero logic for any of these choices, except for going with TOMBSTONE until at some point the gremlins kick in

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Tunicate posted:

heads up: you forgot the play-ins

Thank you! Edited

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
if we're posting brackets here's mine; I think I ended up overrating bots on their ability to hit low and get low -especially true in the case of Valkyrie- but this is what I see when I picture the fights in my head. I think I also put Cobalt over Sawblaze out of general antipathy for its forks.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
ngl I think a lot of people are sleeping on Blip

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
YouTube "bonus" fight is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFafCSPAEQ

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
My weigh in. I really hope End Game doesn't win, but I'm not certain how anyone is going to knock it out without getting lucky.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Couple of gambles in here.

Almost wanted to put Cobalt as the winner but I think End Game would come out on top in that battle.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

This is a lot of wishful thinking and long shots.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
whew, it's anyone's ballgame this year...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My Second Re-Reg posted:

ngl I think a lot of people are sleeping on Blip

Blips opponents have a combined zero wins this season so I'd argue they haven't really been tested yet.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I was surprised Blip's third fight wasn't against Hydra, really thought we'd get a flipper showdown.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

KennyMan666 posted:

I was surprised Blip's third fight wasn't against Hydra, really thought we'd get a flipper showdown.

They did put Blip and Hydra in the same quadrant though, so there is hope they will get a fight.

Also here is my bracket before it's too late. Let's go Minotaur!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Let's go Minotaur!

:emptyquote:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771rW5eI6y4

Lol

It's a fun idea though

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Blips opponents have a combined zero wins this season so I'd argue they haven't really been tested yet.

If blip is working well, it’s almost the perfect bot-- it can take a bunch of damage without its weapon sticking out to take weapon to weapon damage.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm excited to see how they do, they're the most interesting new concept to be developed in a while.

They talked about why they wheelie in one of their YouTube videos. Basically they have a huge flywheel internally, oriented kinda like where a steering wheel would be. The gyroscopic forces don't like moving in that direction when Blip moves forward, so the resistance causes it to pop a wheelie.

I don't know what it looks inside, but a future redesign could orient the flywheel like a horizontal spinner. That would allow free movement in any of the directions you want free movement in - forward, back, and side to side - but would prevent changes in really good ways, too. It would be nearly impossible to flip, and world always remain planted on the floor. It could be incredible, if they could make it fit.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

ante posted:

I'm excited to see how they do, they're the most interesting new concept to be developed in a while.

They talked about why they wheelie in one of their YouTube videos. Basically they have a huge flywheel internally, oriented kinda like where a steering wheel would be. The gyroscopic forces don't like moving in that direction when Blip moves forward, so the resistance causes it to pop a wheelie.

I don't know what it looks inside, but a future redesign could orient the flywheel like a horizontal spinner. That would allow free movement in any of the directions you want free movement in - forward, back, and side to side - but would prevent changes in really good ways, too. It would be nearly impossible to flip, and world always remain planted on the floor. It could be incredible, if they could make it fit.

It would mess with how the flipper works though, no idea if it would work if the flywheel was rotated 90 degrees.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

It would mess with how the flipper works though, no idea if it would work if the flywheel was rotated 90 degrees.

That's a problem that "shouldn't" be hard to overcome.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

ante posted:

The team posted a montage video of its development https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZufNCXaeE and well... that bot looks like it's mostly weapon mechanism by volume. I think you could probably reorient it, but it's probably much easier said than done.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, I saw that, but they go through it very quickly.

They'd definitely have to build it from the ground up with a horizontal flywheel as a design goal from the beginning, I'm not suggesting it would be easy. Or even possible.

Very powerful though

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Blip is super cool and I hope they go far. I'm pretty excited for this championship.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've always felt that teams could build in a lot of extra smarts in their control logic to compensate for things like gyroscopic force, being inverted, losing a portion of their drive motors, etc. I guess they'd have to have a working robot for long enough to do extensive testing, though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Little video with Scorpios hanging out with Bunny from Team Malice... Also some blaming of Bloodsport for the teams that only had 2 fights. AKA teams not having a reason to go full out if the are 2-0, so Battlebots just not giving them a 3rd fight.

Also a bolt tease pic of whatever is likely coming to Discovery Plus for Bounty Hunters 2. Speculation from it though is... The winners from last season are the bounties

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Little video with Scorpios hanging out with Bunny from Team Malice... Also some blaming of Bloodsport for the teams that only had 2 fights. AKA teams not having a reason to go full out if the are 2-0, so Battlebots just not giving them a 3rd fight.

Also a bolt tease pic of whatever is likely coming to Discovery Plus for Bounty Hunters 2. Speculation from it though is... The winners from last season are the bounties

Here's a link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3uTOuKAGlw

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

rarbatrol posted:

I've always felt that teams could build in a lot of extra smarts in their control logic to compensate for things like gyroscopic force, being inverted, losing a portion of their drive motors, etc. I guess they'd have to have a working robot for long enough to do extensive testing, though.

It's actually impossible to test many bots outside the box. Anything with a high-powered spinner is unsafe to fully activate unless you have a battlebox to contain it. So testing control vs. gyro effects would struggle.

AFAIK, most drive logic is just about getting the right amount of power to the motors to spin them without burning them out. That's hard enough with the amount of power flowing through them. I have heard about fancier control logic in Meltybrains, though those are not battlebots legal. I wish we could get a 250 lb meltybrain in the battlebox...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well poo poo thanks, not sure why I forgot to hit the ctrl+v there...

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I think copperhead takes it this year. I think the bracket works for them.

I hope we do get Sawblaze vs Huge and Blip vs Ribbot but who knows.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ep spoiler... Can't make Mammoth Extinct that easily

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Aw man I’m really sad there are fights that get super truncated.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New ep

Yeah, Shatter didn't show much there.

loving hilarious to watch Hypershock drive around for most of the fight trying to right itself. I actually disagree with the judges because P1 didn't do poo poo for most of the fight. Yeah, it's not a good look for Hypershock to stumble around for 2 minutes, but is it a good look to not be able to knock out a robot that can't do poo poo to a robot that's limping around for 2 minutes? Hypershock's weapon was out but I don't think you can say P1 did that to them. One of the announcers said he thought Hypershock burned it out by rolling around on their weapon trying to flip, and I think that's closer to correct. I think the 1 minute of operation and 2 big hits from Hypershock were way more than P1 did the whole fight.

Skorpios won the play-in easy as expected, but that drive motor sure did smoke a lot. Doesn't bode well for them against End Game.

gently caress yeah, Minotaur! You know from Tombstone fights that Bloodsport was hosed from the first hit. As soon as that blade breaks, it can only spin wobbly and will never hit damaging speeds again.

I love how Jamison Go has a rocking back-and-forth battle stance like a Final Fantasy character in combat. loving surgical win. I guess props to Hijinks for continuing to function while being dismantled piece by piece.

Real good to see Witch Doctor not pull a Copperhead with the sudden change. Too bad about Glitch. That's a lovely way for a rookie team to go out of the tournament.

Not a fan of these fights getting truncated, but I guess that's just the reality of making a TV show. No real surprises in those two either. I suppose I thought Huge had an outside chance. Maybe they could have skipped the segment about builders looking like the robots and shown one of these fights instead? Truncate it like the YouTubes and cut out all the pap and bullshit and just show 3 minutes of fight.

I guess Skorpios' smoky drive didn't matter too much after all.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Copperhead and Lucky looked like a fun match, weird that we got to see Scorpios vs. Malice instead of that. Or the build to Witch Dr and Mammoth that felt like it went on for 10 minutes.

I feel like Shatter has beasically not existed this season with only 2 fights aired and it didn't look that great. Other than that I predicted every single fight correctly, so that's fun. Sawblaze and Hijinx was complete domination, loved seeing Hijinx's gearbox twitching around on the floor.

Also LOL I've been saying Glitch sucks and just got lucky all season and welp. See ya.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 17, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

Other than that I predicted every single fight correctly, so that's fun.

I also had all but 1, but Hypershock got robbed :colbert:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hypershock did no damage and lost on control. p1 deserved that win. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

You can't spend over half the match flailing on your back uncontrollably and win just because you got one decent hit before burning out your weapon