Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PowerVertical/status/1504239862647603205

Well timed article with the whole "mystery explosions in Belarus" thing.

quote:

This is consistent with a recent confidential unpublished report from the Center for Strategic and Foreign Policy Studies, which argued that due to the strong Ukrainian resistance and the poor performance of the Russian armed forces, “Minsk’s position on the Russia-Ukraine war has rapidly evolved from unconditional support for Moscow’s actions to attempts to distance itself as much as possible from Russia’s actions in Ukraine.”

Probably overstating it a bit.

quote:

Developments in Ukraine also appear to be having an effect on Belarusian public opinion. Ryhor Astapenia, who heads the Belarus Initiative at Chatham House’s Russia and Eurasia Program, recently posted that a poll the organization conducted found just 3 percent of Belarusians support the country’s armed forces joining the Russian invasion.

This survey was posted to a telegram channel https://t.me/astapenia/423. Curious how they arrived at this conclusion and their methods for surveying an autocracy. If it's sound, that's a loving abysmally low amount of support.

edit- I finally got a decent effort post snipe. Suck it, losers.

Despera posted:

Look at all the countries Putin hasnt invaded (leaving out georgia, chechnya etc) is such a great point!

ummel fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So, no idea about what the hell is going on in Belarus? I like the party line that they are doing military exercises, across the country in the middle of the night. Totally plausible. :rolleyes:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/MFATurkiye/status/1504135945859354635

Is this why (or a reason why) turkey seems pretty supportive of Ukraine? Have they made a big point of this before, like after the Crimean invasion?

Also, if you ignore a user, do all the quote replies get ignored too? Asking for a friend.

Turkey is a member of NATO for starters, and a lot of rich Turks like to go on vacation in Ukraine because its nearby. Ukrainian wheat feeds many of Turkey's neighbors, and Ukraine defense firms are important to Turkey's own burgeoning defense industry. For example, Ukrainian powerplants are used in Turkish drones and will power the next generation of Turkish attack helicopters and cruise missiles. It's co-operation that also cannot be easily replaced because similar components from the US or EU would most likely involve export controls and completely cut into Turkish ambitions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MikeC posted:

The very reason why they resorted to these tactics where they shell civilians is that they have nothing left in their quiver. Unless you think the Russians are choosing to sit outside Kyiv, suffer constant attrition to attacks by Ukrainians, and watch their economy continue to burn from sanctions just for fun. They have every incentive to try and wrap this up as soon as possible if they have the strength. Maybe they have one last gasp once they get their own influx of foreign fighters and units previously not assigned the invasion gets assembled and sent in. But the Russians now have a greater proportion of their military committed to Ukraine than the Americans did in Afghanistan and Iraq during those wars. So yes, the Russians are very close to the end of their tether.

So.....the Belarussians are not joining the invasion because Putin tells them not to invade? Ok.

close to the end of the tether is not the same as off the end of it.

they clearly have one tactic left, terror bombing

the war isn't going to end until they don't have that either.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Russia's active duty ground forces are like 280,000 or something. The real advantage of Russia in actually usable manpower is like 3:2 or something.

What was supposed to put then over the top were its much bigger advantages in armor, artillery and air power, but so far those elements all keep eating poo poo because of turbo incompetence, hell mud and the fact that the ad copy put out by the Russian arms industry is full of poo poo lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/MFATurkiye/status/1504135945859354635

Is this why (or a reason why) turkey seems pretty supportive of Ukraine? Have they made a big point of this before, like after the Crimean invasion?

Also, if you ignore a user, do all the quote replies get ignored too? Asking for a friend.

Part of it, other part being that Turkey is a NATO member exposed to NATO internal politics. Also, Russia has not been especially fair with Turkey, despite S-400 and whatnot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VorpalBunny posted:

So, no idea about what the hell is going on in Belarus? I like the party line that they are doing military exercises, across the country in the middle of the night. Totally plausible. :rolleyes:

Yeah the claim is there's exercises. Right now, people are claiming the exercises are too far away to have that impact, others claiming its a sonic boom (much more possible). Who knows.

sean10mm posted:

Russia's active duty ground forces are like 280,000 or something. The real advantage of Russia in actually usable manpower is like 3:2 or something.

What was supposed to put then over the top were its much bigger advantages in armor, artillery and air power, but so far those elements all keep eating poo poo because of turbo incompetence, hell mud and the fact that the ad copy put out by the Russian arms industry is full of poo poo lol

The most interesting thing: Look at half these photos/videos of destroyed BMPs/Trucks/etc.: A lot of them have ad hoc food/equipment. These units are in dire straights, at least in the north, Supply wise.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

MikeC posted:

Everyone keeps going back to that speech as 'proof' that Putin was always going to annex Ukraine and recreate Russian Empire 2. They always ignore the part where he says "whoever wants it (Soviet Union) back has no brain".

"People say Putin wants the return of the Russian Empire, but how can that be so when he says the Soviet Union was bad?"

Hmm

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah the claim is there's exercises. Right now, people are claiming the exercises are too far away to have that impact, others claiming its a sonic boom (much more possible). Who knows.

Theory I'm leaning towards is someone blew up an ammo dump and it went BIG KABOOM halifax style and different places heard it at different times.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MikeC posted:

So.....the Belarussians are not joining the invasion because Putin tells them not to invade? Ok.

Conquered provinces of an empire refusing to send troops when the empire has hosed up is a very old tradition.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Russia has over 10,000 MBTs. A lot of that is stockpiled equipment, but it's not just "on paper," those tanks really exist.

But if used ineffectively against a dug in defense with a near-infinite supply of one hit killer anti-tank, infantry-based weapons, that's 10,000 expensive steel coffins.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1504257622236561414

Putin doesn't seem quite so out of touch with the rest of his country after all.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Radio Prune posted:

"People say Putin wants the return of the Russian Empire, but how can that be so when he says the Soviet Union was bad?"

Hmm

Especially when he says that Lenin-period Soviet Union was bad because he thinks Lenin wasn't oppressive enough to the conquered minorities. (Lenin is unusual as a Russian leader for not making cultural genocide a central tactic of his control, and actually being somewhat supportive of at least some of the minority cultures).

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Grape posted:

His question wasn't "who gives a poo poo?" it was "who gives a poo poo if Ukraine was inevitably going to all out defend itself regardless of support from NATO".

Ah, once war was declared who gives a poo poo indeed. Ukraine has every right to defend itself. I just don't think war was inevitable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1504228527264219140

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

Putin doesn't seem quite so out of touch with the rest of his country after all.

Given Putin has been eating his own dogfood he's been feeding Alt-Right groups in the west via RT and other stuff: Not suprising.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

That’s a very ambiguously worded question.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Reevellp/status/1504259800930164738

ABC news reporter per the Twitter bio. Not a specops thing, just good old prisoner swap, apparently.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://kyivindependent.com/national/ukraine-v-russian-federation-icj-orders-russia-to-cease-military-aggression-in-ukraine/

quote:

Russia then went even further, reiterating that its so-called “special military operation” amounted to a self-defense under Article 51 of the United Nations Charter, of which it informed the Security Council on Feb. 24.

:thunk:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ChaseSP posted:

Putin's action makes perfect sense if you believe the west won't do anything which has largely been the case up until recently, when the crimean annexation had no real repercussions for him.

yeah my view is he has been doing the "quietly escalate poo poo behind the scenes in his neighbors and then swoop in and smash the survivors or bribe the biggest assholes to join him, it happend in chechnya, it happened in georgia and its states and it happened in Ukraine/Crimea. the west didn't do dick before outside some mild sanctions with obama. he has also be stiring up various nutjobs in the west/nato countries in hopes that it breaks NATO and EU and it could have worked, he also saw the US leave Afghanistan after a almost 20 year shitshow last summer in a botched withdraw. I can see where he thought it would just be "in and out operation" except as various twitter threads have pointed out, he hosed up, bad.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

:stare:

...Ya know, it makes sense that the Cold War Generation's brains in both the US and Russia are utterly loving broken.

Don't know why I hadn't thought of that connection before.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Deteriorata posted:

Do we know if polls taken in Russia are legitimate or accurate? Are Russians speaking honestly in these or out of fear? Honest question. I tried googling "Active Group" which appears to be the people who ran this.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ah, once war was declared who gives a poo poo indeed. Ukraine has every right to defend itself. I just don't think war was inevitable.

And ... NATO support unquestionably came after the start of the war.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

MikeC posted:

Do we know if polls taken in Russia are legitimate or accurate? Are Russians speaking honestly in these or out of fear? Honest question. I tried googling "Active Group" which appears to be the people who ran this.

https://activegroup.com.ua/2022/03/16/survey-says-86-6-of-russians-support-the-armed-invasion-of-russia-in-other-european-countries/
This is the poll. It was run by an Ukrainian company.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

OddObserver posted:

Especially when he says that Lenin-period Soviet Union was bad because he thinks Lenin wasn't oppressive enough to the conquered minorities. (Lenin is unusual as a Russian leader for not making cultural genocide a central tactic of his control, and actually being somewhat supportive of at least some of the minority cultures).

Wait... let me guess: he feels the ethnically inferior undesirables stabbed Russia in the back and he wants revenge? And calls for ethnic cleansing to true Motherland Ary-Uh, Russian stock?

I really can't figure out who this guy reminds me of.. WAIT, But that would be impossible! He worked in the USSR! :thunk:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

sean10mm posted:

The assumption was also that those 280k active duty troops were well trained professionals and not the conscripts actually sent to the front.

It was well known that Ukraine could draw upon reservists but the quality of those would be significantly worse than the expected professional Russian troops they would be facing off against.

In light of that, Ukraine probably has numerical superiority by this point and the difference in skill level is unlikely to be as great as initially thought.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

MadJackal posted:

But if used ineffectively against a dug in defense with a near-infinite supply of one hit killer anti-tank, infantry-based weapons, that's 10,000 expensive steel coffins.

They might be the mobile crematoriums everyone keeps talking about.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

Self-censorship under authoritarianism is a well studied phenomenon. There are ways to correct for it, but they’re far from bulletproof. Government pollsters I would avoid (e.g., VTsIOM), and I would likewise avoid entirely foreign pollsters. Local private pollsters, like Levada, tend to be decent - but I wouldn’t expect miracles in the current crackdown on civil liberties.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Trading a much-beloved mayor for nine conscripts?

Cheap deal. Do the Russians not yet realize how much inflation is hitting the conscript prisoner market?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

The assumption was also that those 280k active duty troops were well trained professionals and not the conscripts actually sent to the front.

It was well known that Ukraine could draw upon reservists but the quality of those would be significantly worse than the expected professional Russian troops they would be facing off against.

In light of that, Ukraine probably has numerical superiority by this point and the difference in skill level is unlikely to be as great as initially thought.

Yeah, Ukraine is understandably very cagey about their actual strength right now (along with literally everything else about their forces locations, numbers, etc.), but their initial entire army was nominally around ~200k and between reserves, territorial defense forces, and new recruits, it basically has to be significantly more people than the remaining Russian forces.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Grape posted:

And ... NATO support unquestionably came after the start of the war.

The US, the big dog in NATO so to speak, provided $450 million in "defensive aid" in 2021 and $200 million more in 2022 (dont know how much of that was delivered before the invasion). The Baltic states also sent over anti-tank/aircraft weapons in Jan. Assuming by support you mean military aid.

Source
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-nato-ukraine-weapons-defense-russia/

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Thanks, that last question on nuclear weapons was also interesting. Americans have a 68% approval on the potential first use of nuclear weapons in certain situations for comparison.

https://publicconsultation.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Nuclear_Weapons_Report_0519.pdf

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Part of it, other part being that Turkey is a NATO member exposed to NATO internal politics. Also, Russia has not been especially fair with Turkey, despite S-400 and whatnot.

To add to this: Putin invading Ukraine is not great for Turkey. Erdogan dipped his toe into playing both sides and diverged in goals from much of NATO over the last two decades when the region was mostly at peace and it was useful to broadcast independence to a domestic and regional audience - but when Russia starts steamrolling the neighborhood you better believe Turkey's NATO membership and the good will of the rest of NATO is going to look a lot more important than short term regional goals. Also see the current talks between Greece and Turkey.

The other factor would be Russia and Turkey being mostly at odds in the region. Aside from the more visible stuff like Russian planes playing chicken on the Turkish border and the Russian backed SAA attacking the Turkish backed groups, Russia was a big part of the campaign of displacement that caused a refugee crisis Turkey got to bear the brunt of and Russian attacks through Wagner were a big part of the big push into the Turkish-supported areas in Northern Syria a few years back. They were also backing opposite sides in the Armenian-Azeri war.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 17, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was wondering about a phrase I keep seeing- "Russia expected a cakewalk, why bother planning for the enemy actually fighting back?"
What have Russian staff officers been doing for the last decade, if not drawing up contingency plans for war against their rivals? Like, that's their job, isn't it?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

eke out posted:

Yeah, Ukraine is understandably very cagey about their actual strength right now (along with literally everything else about their forces locations, numbers, etc.), but their initial entire army was nominally around ~200k and between reserves, territorial defense forces, and new recruits, it basically has to be significantly more people than the remaining Russian forces.

There were 400k veterans who had been drafted over the last 8 years and rotated through the fighting in the Donbas. Presumably a large number of them have returned to the armed forces since the invasion.

The other number I saw was the reports that of the 4 million plus refugees, 90% are women and children. That implies that there’s an extremely large number of people who are volunteering to stay behind and presumably contribute to the war effort in some way.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

They may well exist but without a means of getting them to the fighting, filling them with a well trained crew, maintaining them, keeping them supplied with fuel and ammo, and giving them effective infantry support they might as well as be just a number on a piece of paper.
There may be political issues, both civil and military, as to why those units and personnel are not in the fight, not merely logistics.

Also, I haven't seen much about units being rotated. Are they going to the "rear", wherever that is, or to Russia proper?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
NATO countries, including the US, were still tiptoeing around Russia's feelings and largely did not provide the things that could have helped Ukraine even more (more modern anti-tank weapons and AA systems) until the invasion was underway. Until that point eg. Germany was sending some helmets and (parts of) a field hospital. Also, supplying stuff in January was when it was obvious Putin was setting up the invasion for real.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

My guess is the prison guards probably told him "look give us cash, food and these dudes back and we will look the other way and give him to you".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eke out posted:

It’s around 580k + 120k cops, if we include all paramilitaries (national, border, and territorial guards) and active military reserve. In addition to this there’s an unknown pool of reinforcement reserve and general reserve troops mobilised, and unknown amount of territorial defence volunteers (the count above includes just the 40k professional service members of it). The best guess I have for territorial defence volunteers right now - at least 200k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

I was wondering about a phrase I keep seeing- "Russia expected a cakewalk, why bother planning for the enemy actually fighting back?"
What have Russian staff officers been doing for the last decade, if not drawing up contingency plans for war against their rivals? Like, that's their job, isn't it?

Dreaming up contingency plans is time that can be better used banging mistresses and skimming equipment allowances for that little dacha near St. Petersburg.