Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Wickerman posted:

Russian tank destroyed by a mine outside Luhansk. Apparently you can see a Russian on fire near the end of the video, so NMS:

jfc

Also: Holy poo poo, Anti-tank mines are significantly more explosive than I thought they'd be with my extremely limited context. The explosions from the Javelin etc shots that have been recorded seem much smaller than that one. Was that just an instant fuel tank explosion or is there just that much more boom in a mine than in a precision strike/rocket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Strangest Finch posted:

jfc

Also: Holy poo poo, Anti-tank mines are significantly more explosive than I thought they'd be with my extremely limited context. The explosions from the Javelin etc shots that have been recorded seem much smaller than that one. Was that just an instant fuel tank explosion or is there just that much more boom in a mine than in a precision strike/rocket?

Where has there been footage of a javelin kill? I haven’t seen one and I heard it’s been held back to avoid providing Russia with intelligence, due to the units operating them. I have seen an NLAW one though.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

25lbs is a normal weight for AT mines. It's a bit hard to say exactly what did and didn't explode in that footage, but yes, a mine could produce most of that on its own. There are more than one way of opening a tank involuntarily, but large explosive is the classical go-to for mines.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 17, 2022

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

25lbs is a normal weight for AT mines

For reference, Javelins have a 19lb payload.

But then again, I've heard tell of a full electric drone with a kill payload of 9 lbs....

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

cult_hero posted:

For reference, Javelins have a 19lb payload.

But then again, I've heard tell of a full electric drone with a kill payload of 9 lbs....

On the one hand a javelin warhead is not 19lbs of pure rdx though, on the other they still kinda make a fairly large boom (to me?). Biggly big compared to stuff much smaller than a tow at least. Anyway, they all work and that's what matters.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Economist has some good food writeups from the past several months. Its not just the small satellites, Egypt gets a large amount of wheat from both. They are two of the largest wheat exporters and if war devastates Ukraines harvest and sanctions prevent Russias I would expect famine.

Russia probably won't let a grain leave the country, food security is probably one of the top concerns Putin will have with sanctions and no access to dollars. DPRK would be a good lesson on what may be to come.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Where has there been footage of a javelin kill? I haven’t seen one and I heard it’s been held back to avoid providing Russia with intelligence, due to the units operating them. I have seen an NLAW one though.

Not combat footage, but clear test video of what a Javelin can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIlROqW0fnc

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

lightpole posted:

Economist has some good food writeups from the past several months. Its not just the small satellites, Egypt gets a large amount of wheat from both. They are two of the largest wheat exporters and if war devastates Ukraines harvest and sanctions prevent Russias I would expect famine.

Russia probably won't let a grain leave the country, food security is probably one of the top concerns Putin will have with sanctions and no access to dollars. DPRK would be a good lesson on what may be to come.

Ok, not challenging what you said at all but maybe adding to it? India has gotten a very good winter wheat harvest which lowers their need, starvation has a weird way of following money more than absolute field production volumes, then there's all the other grains that grow on the planet, and then the completely different foodstuffs on top of that.

While the economist surely is a level headed font of journalistic integrity in every way and beyond low criticisms - Famine is a big one to declare before the riots have even started

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Not combat footage, but clear test video of what a Javelin can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIlROqW0fnc

And here's NLAW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIVtB-8fQ7E

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Thanks!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

starvation has a weird way of following money more than absolute field production volumes,

I think you're right on the money (heh) with this one. Scarcity raises prices, which starts making food harder to afford for people just scraping by. It certainly doesn't seem like it will be good, but there were also some pretty grim predictions about deaths from rising food costs in the Economist at the beginning of the pandemic that haven't seemed to come true to my knowledge, so hopefully it will sort itself out.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1504214696303505411?s=20&t=r6YI9CPXUegKW5LckDGNgQ

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

The Strangest Finch posted:

jfc

Also, stacking explosives under an AT mine is a rather standard tactic (or so said friend who was a sapper) so who knows how much stuff there was there.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

What is the comparison to DPRK supposed to be? Like... Russia will have famine because they are cut off from international markets? This is a very dumb take. North Korea has barely any arable land and routinely savagely mismanages its food production (probably on purpose, holodomor style). Russia has an enormous amount of arable land and 85 million tons of wheat per year grown, plus a pretty low population for their size. Russia won't be able to juche their way to modern semiconductors or pharmaceuticals but their food situation is probably at the actual bottom of the list in terms of strategic concerns.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 17, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Just to be clear, the earth-shattering kaboom is the ammo inside the tank. Javelin alone will just punch a neat hole and spray some supersonic molten metal into the tank, not blow it all to hell. But all Russian tanks conveniently have their ammo supply as two piece ammunition spread out on the turret floor, and that poo poo meeting the aforementioned spray of supersonic molten metal will result in the tank spreading across the landscape.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

Just to be clear, the earth-shattering kaboom is the ammo inside the tank. Javelin alone will just punch a neat hole and spray some supersonic molten metal into the tank, not blow it all to hell. But all Russian tanks conveniently have their ammo supply as two piece ammunition spread out on the turret floor, and that poo poo meeting the aforementioned spray of supersonic molten metal will result in the tank spreading across the landscape.

I will say that I feel sorry for any tanker in a Russian MBT that catches one of these things, but watching a dismembered turret fly 50 feet into the air after their ammo load cooks off is still amusing to me.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

I have a feeling a Polish peacekeeping mission would look a lot different than a US one. Like, kill every Russian that moves different.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ok, not challenging what you said at all but maybe adding to it? India has gotten a very good winter wheat harvest which lowers their need, starvation has a weird way of following money more than absolute field production volumes, then there's all the other grains that grow on the planet, and then the completely different foodstuffs on top of that.

While the economist surely is a level headed font of journalistic integrity in every way and beyond low criticisms - Famine is a big one to declare before the riots have even started

Isn't that Indias first good harvest in awhile? Drought has been hitting a lot of producing regions so there's a lot of variability right now. Famine is probably too strong at the moment since there's a lot of time but the potential to be bad, particularly if others start restricting exports, is pretty strong. Volatility is rising and indexes are peaking.

Russia is currently severed from international markets almost completely a la DPRK. Most of their exports go to neutral countries (not EU/US) that aren't involved so the Asian/African countries that are the main market should still be able to buy. If they can afford it that is. The bad news is that Russia is one of the largest energy exporters, as well as fertilizer input exporter. I have no idea how export restrictions to Russia will play out.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

MRC48B posted:

not even the best part. post the other record of this great deed.

Good point - the relevant intelligence report : https://imgur.com/gallery/1Kk0Q

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Raged posted:

I have a feeling a Polish peacekeeping mission would look a lot different than a US one. Like, kill every Russian that moves different.

I also don't like the idea of polish fascists getting together with Azov and a blank check on violence.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

While the economist surely is a level headed font of journalistic integrity in every way and beyond low criticisms

I thought much like their namesake they were often full of poo poo. Maybe I'm thinking of something else

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Raged posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen regardless, though the hawks sure are crowin' for it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Raged posted:

Yeah certain factions in Poland have made no hiding of their willingness to just shoot any Russian they find if they wind up getting involved in direct conflict. A Polish "peacekeeping" mission would wind up being "shoot them all, let God sort them out"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
freshwater crisis is going to be much more of an issue than any famine in the next few years. We have the fertilizer free production capacity where if you cut back on cash crops, and handle emergency logistics at the international level food shortages would be avoidable. But what's likely going to happen is we keep current production spreads which take a hit due to fertilizer and then only wealthier countries will get to afford to import. But fertilizer or no in a few years we're going to be running into freshwater issues for agriculture and domestic consumption and we are absolutely unprepared for it. That will cause famine.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought much like their namesake they were often full of poo poo. Maybe I'm thinking of something else

I can't tell if you need me to put an /s on that or not
FakeE: Aaand since now I'm the one confused by someone's post I guess that answered itself

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
This is why I wax and wane from wanting a homestead / compound with farm with my own well and freshwater stream... and just wanting to end it all once everything goes to poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Raged posted:

That's pretty much the approach they took in Ghazni after the Taliban breached the FOB and killed a couple of their soldiers.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Naked Bear posted:

Not sure where that one tweet is sourcing its stuff from, but here's the piece published by WaPo that was written by the Chinese ambassador to the U.S. There's nothing praising Ukraine, he does state that China is sending humanitarian aid, he regurgitates the "legitimate security concerns" line, and as a bonus he gives a friendly reminder that the Ukraine situation is "totally different" from Taiwan.

[url="https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/15/china-ambassador-us-where-we-stand-in-ukraine/"]

Just to add context, Ukraine is a belt and road initiative recipient, meaning that Russia is shelling Chinese investments and they are far from happy about it. Not enough to get angry publicly but diplomatic channels must have certainly expressed discomfort on the wasted money.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SlowBloke posted:

Just to add context, Ukraine is a belt and road initiative recipient, meaning that Russia is shelling Chinese investments and they are far from happy about it. Not enough to get angry publicly but diplomatic channels must have certainly expressed discomfort on the wasted money.

it's all job creation in the end to borrow from their republican friends

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

loving yikes.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1504396982940487686?t=nLPrxxeguUnjz1h0iFM56A&s=19

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I mean artillery can and should be highly accurate nowadays. YOLOing rocket pods from your heli not so much.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: wrong thread

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dick Ripple posted:

I mean artillery can and should be highly accurate nowadays. YOLOing rocket pods from your heli not so much.

I'm pretty sure that activity is called yeeting.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
That help rocketry isn’t landing within the same ZiP code.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Valtonen posted:

That help rocketry isn’t landing within the same ZiP code.

my guess is that they half assed it to keep their asses safe

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

my guess is that they half assed it to keep their asses safe

and not giving two fucks where it lands.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wondering if the flare dump is an anti-MANPAD measure, I've seen CAS do it after gun runs.

Could just imagine a guy with a stinger, waiting for the perfect lock on the helo, only to fire and watch the missile take off after one of the rockets.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Why are they pulling up at the last second and launching them upward?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sentinel posted:

Why are they pulling up at the last second and launching them upward?

indiscriminate lobbing. They are not trying to hit anything specific, just get rounds downrange. Not giving a gently caress where it hits or who it hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That's a good point, I guess I'm going purely by the YouTube test videos, which I'm now realizing might well have been with a reduced charge or striking dummy tanks.

The Strangest Finch fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 17, 2022