Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TjyvTompa posted:

That's how it always worked.

Yeah so to answer Fish McCool’s question presumably it uses less HP now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also, regarding the specific question about Bleed, there are three different things going on there: some weapons (e.g. the Uchigatana) just apply Bleed whenever you hit with them, even when not infused. Then they can have a Bleed infusion, which also makes them apply (more) Bleed on any hit, either by using grease or applying it via a blood-aligned Ash of War, or a non-elemental Ash of War while having the appropriate whetstone. And then finally, their Ash of War skill can be Blood Slash or something and hence apply Bleed itself.

As another example, you could take the Antspur Rapier, which naturally applies scarlet rot (!) and then can be infused to also apply frost or poison or something.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ive got no idea how you'd ever complete any npc quests without going to the wiki. they just like teleport around without much guidance where they're gonna be next and half the time they mention a character i don't remember or haven't met! i know souls games have always done that but feels more annoying in this one

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've noticed an issue where, while playing this game, my cpu would skyrocket to over 100 degrees, sometimes over heating straight up, and if I exited the game it would cool back down to like 40 within seconds. This doesn't happen with anything else, even games that have come out around the same times as Elden Ring and can be pretty intense. I've also only noticed it when I've been playing online. Out of curiosity I set EAC to low priority and my CPU temperature immediately dropped about five degrees.

I think EAC is destroying my computer.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does bleed work the same as it has in other dark souls games? You build up the bleed meter and then when it fills they take a chunk of extra damage? You'd think I've had noticed this by now I've been using weapons with bleed on them for most of my playthrough.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Finished the game at a respectable 89 hours, got every major boss down (I think) and I chose Ranni's ending in which I helped usher in an age of darkness for every living thing? But it's good actually, maybe, I think?
I think this might be the best game I have ever played, 99% of the nearly 90 hours spent playing was fun and exciting as gently caress. The only complaints I have are like, UI stuff. Add a rudimentary journal of some sort. "Met a hosed up person in eastern weeping peninsula, he wanted me to explore south" something like that, because I watched tje credits and there were multiple voiced npc's I never even met once. Also I wish there was a way to ride around the world with a friend, maybe theyll add a new game+ coop option so I can ride around with my friends and their cool characters :unsmith:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

megane posted:

This “oh man, they better not nerf strong things, only buff weak things, otherwise all the weapons will be the same and the game will turn to mush and be boring” spiel is brought up constantly about every game, even though I literally cannot name a single game where it has come remotely close to happening. And if it did, then… oh no, you get actually build diversity instead of everybody using Hoarfrost Stomp and SoNaF all the time? How horrible. It’s basically just an excuse to oppose nerfs on abstract grounds because the things being (or expected to be) nerfed obviously deserve it but you want them to stay unchanged anyhow.

In my opinion they should keep track of weapon use and every day the most-used weapon is given -5% damage and the least-used is given +5% until every weapon in the game is used about the same amount. Burn the meta to the ground, no mercy

I dunno if your sarcasm is directed at me or some abstract "other," but I don't think enjoying build and gameplay diversity is a particularly controversial perspective. Tons of games buff weak choices? And I don't mind OP abilities in this game on the grounds of I don't care for a lot of the late game repeat encounters; in my heart of hearts, I'd wish for a world where nothing is OP and every game choice has its place in the sun, but I don't realistically expect that kind of approach to game balance from Fromsoft. They're gonna tweak it until it feels "good enough" to someone and then move on to the DLC or the next game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This patch owns. A lot of these things were ruining PVP.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

hemale in pain posted:

ive got no idea how you'd ever complete any npc quests without going to the wiki. they just like teleport around without much guidance where they're gonna be next and half the time they mention a character i don't remember or haven't met! i know souls games have always done that but feels more annoying in this one

That's just how Fromsoft is, really.

They've had quest progression like 'rank up in a hidden covenant so you can open a door to kill one specific enemy or you fail the questline,' or 'bring these NPC summons to several boss fights or you fail the questline.'

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How dramatic is the Hoarfrost stomp (and other stuff) nerf?

I mostly used Bloodhound Step on my anchor but I always had the Icerind Axe upgraded just in case.

VulgarandStupid posted:

This patch owns. A lot of these things were ruining PVP.

PVP will remain broken like in all previous games unless they do separate balance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guillermus posted:

I mostly used Bloodhound Step on my anchor but I always had the Icerind Axe upgraded just in case.

PVP will remain broken like in all previous games unless they do separate balance.

Using a bare rear end bones sword of night and flame with no upgrades and just barely meeting the requirements for it, I've still been whipping rear end. It took me three uses of its R1 special to kill the sanguine noble at the rose church, and I barely dented the magical dragon where the hogwarts key is though. But most regular enemies are still being torn apart.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Appoda posted:

They're gonna tweak it until it feels "good enough" to someone and then move on to the DLC or the next game.

On something with a ridiculous timeline like WoW the constant tweaking can (in theory, I haven't tracked that game in forever) have a positive effect. ER doesn't have that timeline, so you get the Dark Souls 2 thing where stuff gets slammed and then they peace out. People will find the new hotness eventually. I'm sure the PvP people will be up in arms about the latest WA/weapon craze next week.

I do unironically object to nerfs in any non-competitive space but that's largely because I don't see how removal of an option puts me in an advantageous position in any way. Yup, <thing> sucks now. I have gained nothing but I guess the game is now relatively more difficult in a way I could have just emulated myself by not using <thing>? People celebrating this stuff will always be weird to me but I'm too used to it now not to expect it.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

The only thing I think would be nice would be a way to farm the dragon smithing stones and larval tears at end game. I’m not too keen on starting NG+ because of how much bigger this game is compared to previous dark souls.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mailer posted:

On something with a ridiculous timeline like WoW the constant tweaking can (in theory, I haven't tracked that game in forever) have a positive effect. ER doesn't have that timeline, so you get the Dark Souls 2 thing where stuff gets slammed and then they peace out. People will find the new hotness eventually. I'm sure the PvP people will be up in arms about the latest WA/weapon craze next week.

I do unironically object to nerfs in any non-competitive space but that's largely because I don't see how removal of an option puts me in an advantageous position in any way. Yup, <thing> sucks now. I have gained nothing but I guess the game is now relatively more difficult in a way I could have just emulated myself by not using <thing>? People celebrating this stuff will always be weird to me but I'm too used to it now not to expect it.

Yeah but there's being a bit op and then there's completely trivialising the pve side of the game while also gibbing people in pvp.

E: Also didn't this game sell like 11 million copies? I don't think it's gonna get left to rot for at least a couple of years.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

DS2 pvp owned

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mailer posted:

I do unironically object to nerfs in any non-competitive space but that's largely because I don't see how removal of an option puts me in an advantageous position in any way. Yup, <thing> sucks now. I have gained nothing but I guess the game is now relatively more difficult in a way I could have just emulated myself by not using <thing>?
But what if you don't want to "not use <thing>"? What if you use a variety of stuff, especially once playing multiple different characters, but also don't want to use stuff that is overpowered or makes combat decision making uninteresting?

In that case, the more things that are overpowered, the less actual choices you have to have fun with-each thing that is cool and OP is really "cool but boring to use in practice". It limits your options, rather than expanding them. (And these options have knock-on effects on multiplayer as well, and not just pvp-if hosts have tools that let them just utterly steamroll bosses, it makes helping them a lot less fun.)

Also-and this is something that applies mostly to roguelikes, but it somewhat applies here too-something I love in games is when the content is hard enough that I am pushed to really make use of all my options to squeeze out a win.
I love the feeling of going through all my available gear, consumables, strategies etc to find whatever can give me an edge. A real "do whatever it takes" sort of vibe. It's just not the same if I'm honor rules-ing myself out of using stuff I know is overpowered, I want an underdog story! Getting the win by whatever means nessecary, but still not having an easy time of it.

For that to work, the game needs to be hard, have a variety of options, and not really contain genuinely broken stuff within those options.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DS2 PvP was better than the other three (counting DeS DS1/2/3) but I don't think anyone expected a game with crazy broken stuff like poison in PVE to end being the most "balanced". At this point it had to be an accident.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Man, I love the legacy dungeon design & basically everything except the bosses here, but I'm having zero fun with most bossfights. I don't understand why they even have windups when they almost always fake them, holding the windup in place to bait out dodges etc, sometimes even hanging in place in the air to slam down later. Isn't the entire point of a windup animation to allow the player to react to the attack? Why would they intentionally ruin their own designs doing this?

Some attacks also pop out way too fast to react to them if you don't know they're coming (I think DS3 had bosses with a whole 4 frames from the animation's start to dealing damage), so bossfights just devolve into a purely reactive memorization test. I had a lot of fun in DS1 & 2 bossfights but this just isn't enjoyable in the least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also speaking of trying weird stuff to try and get an edge, here's LobosJr using an interesting strat on godskin duo

Guillermus posted:

DS2 PvP was better than the other three (counting DeS DS1/2/3) but I don't think anyone expected a game with crazy broken stuff like poison in PVE to end being the most "balanced". At this point it had to be an accident.
I had far less fun with ds2's pvp than ds3's.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Guillermus posted:

Hoarfrost stomp does about 1/3 of the damage it used to do now. People are saying that the mimic is actually buffed now due to the change in it's "pattern", it is supposedly much more aggressive. Maybe it differs due to what build you have. For me I always only used it as a distraction, it was super good at drawing aggro from bosses.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

also speaking of trying weird stuff to try and get an edge, here's LobosJr using an interesting strat on godskin duo

I had far less fun with ds2's pvp than ds3's.

I don't like PVP on souls games and the only fun I've had was on DS3 too.

My least fun bossfight so far has been the big rear end stone bull before Volcano Manor (Full grown Fallingstar beast). I'm sure more stuff will top it but two tries leaving it at a shiver of health before the kill attempt, with the only difference in setup was the stupid boss spamming a different attack.

Boss design in general, with so much content and the weird need to have one at the end of every dungeon is hit&miss compared to previous games. That and the god drat Hero tombs with the one-shot chariots.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I feel like the design decisions that DS2 had (how the combat works, slower pace, estus drinking being really slow, a bunch of covenants that herded players into fun situations, etc.) helped a lot with that.

Elden Ring's design choices seem to be something that work better in single-player and coop rather than pvp, which is absolutely fine since Elden ring is amazingly good at that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried taking powerstanced straight swords all the way to endgame? I'm considering that to be my gimmick for this run because I know powerstanced maces is super rough if you want to do anything more than spam jump attacks all day.

Maybe a main hand greatsword and offhand SS instead? I feel like dualwielding weapons but not powerstancing them feels like a waste, at least in PvE.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone tried taking powerstanced straight swords all the way to endgame? I'm considering that to be my gimmick for this run because I know powerstanced maces is super rough if you want to do anything more than spam jump attacks all day.

Maybe a main hand greatsword and offhand SS instead? I feel like dualwielding weapons but not powerstancing them feels like a waste, at least in PvE.

I used powerstanced straight swords for the entire back half of the game, using a barricade shield most of the time and breaking out the second sword in openings for huge damage. Heck, one of them was a holy sword which the final boss resists and I was still burning his health bar.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Used a bunch of somber stones to upgrade bloodhound's fang and magma blade for some powerstanced destruction. It's neat, but I keep going back to my trusty ol lordsworn greatsword. I just know the moveset so well and the impaling thrust ashes fix its only issue which is the lack of a tracking long-range attack.

Mailer posted:

They stopped doing the constant updates in WoW years ago, sadly. I agree it was pretty nice at the start when they were constantly tweaking balance to make the pvp work. Folks were constantly having meltdowns over having to change their builds but I kinda liked how it encouraged improvisation instead of everybody sticking to the same meta builds.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 17, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Sleep and Bleed nerf incoming!

Also lol at this incredibly impractical but also impressive skip.

IronicDongz posted:

But what if you don't want to "not use <thing>"? What if you use a variety of stuff, especially once playing multiple different characters, but also don't want to use stuff that is overpowered or makes combat decision making uninteresting?

If your argument is that you want to use a lot of things, but simultaneously cannot stop yourself from using the best thing, then yeah nonstop constant removal of the best thing is the only option for your enjoyment. I just don't have that mental limitation. I'm happy using the best thing and I'm happy explicitly not using it for a challenge run. I don't need to have the developer take the options away from me to find a challenge, in the same way crazy people who beat games on DDR mats don't need From to remove normal controller support. :shrug:

ER in particular is going to be a bad game for challenge-through-option-removal anyway, because the substitute for using incredibly powerful things is either 0-hitting or grinding more. Ain't much in this game level 200 can't solve but I sure did like clearing the game in the 80s with my second sorc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does Rock Sling not do Strike damage? I ran into some crystaliens and 'smash them with a big rock' seemed like an obvious strategy, but it did no damage.

Also, how do I get to that plateau in SW Liurnia? My map shows all kinds of stuff up there, but I cannot find any access.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 17, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flytrap posted:

I used powerstanced straight swords for the entire back half of the game, using a barricade shield most of the time and breaking out the second sword in openings for huge damage. Heck, one of them was a holy sword which the final boss resists and I was still burning his health bar.

Dope, thank you!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The problem with nerfing the poo poo out of stuff because of PvP is they can potentially make 40% (if not more) of the weapon roster useless or redundant unless they commit to fine tune everything. Nerfing is fine if they buff others, let's see what they do after this.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Of course they nerf the hell out of both things I'm using a day before I have time to play and beat the respec access boss. Without them I'm not even sure I'll be able to make progress at all without grinding like an insane and unfun amount or constantly begging my friends for help, so hopefully someone will come up with some new OP builds.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mailer posted:

If your argument is that you want to use a lot of things, but simultaneously cannot stop yourself from using the best thing,
That's not what I said at all.

I like using a variety of things.
I don't like using overpowered things that trivialize challenge. (Perfectly fine with using stuff that is "the best", "not quite the best", "just ok", etc... all the way down to stuff that is outright bad, like bonewheel shield in ds1.)

Since I don't like using OP stuff that makes the game way easier, when something OP gets nerfed down to a more reasonable level, now I have another thing I can use and actually have fun with because it won't take away the challenge of the game. So, I have a wider variety of toys to play around with.

I'm not expecting perfect balance(not like it's really possible anyways), and I never said that I only use the best stuff. No need to put words in my mouth.

My second point about liking having a range of different tools to experiment to eke out a win with is a bit more complicated since it has more to do with the general vibe of a scrappy "use everything available" underdog story, but it's not that different, really.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 17, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

coolusername posted:

Of course they nerf the hell out of both things I'm using a day before I have time to play and beat the respec access boss. Without them I'm not even sure I'll be able to make progress at all without grinding like an insane and unfun amount or constantly begging my friends for help, so hopefully someone will come up with some new OP builds.

Just summon some random peeps

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Biplane posted:

Finished the game at a respectable 89 hours, got every major boss down (I think) and I chose Ranni's ending in which I helped usher in an age of darkness for every living thing? But it's good actually, maybe, I think?
I think this might be the best game I have ever played, 99% of the nearly 90 hours spent playing was fun and exciting as gently caress. The only complaints I have are like, UI stuff. Add a rudimentary journal of some sort. "Met a hosed up person in eastern weeping peninsula, he wanted me to explore south" something like that, because I watched tje credits and there were multiple voiced npc's I never even met once. Also I wish there was a way to ride around the world with a friend, maybe theyll add a new game+ coop option so I can ride around with my friends and their cool characters :unsmith:

I saw this as the no laws and free will ending.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

coolusername posted:

You don't need Hoarfrost to beat Rennala just literally any melee weapon and maybe an ash. Bloody Slash still does insane damage at low levels just hit her with it a few times.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll keep happily using any weakness I can find and this will just mean that I'll end like with DS3, having a wider variety of weapons (more grinding) to use because one boss is ignoring my main one. Funnily enough my main weapon has been the anchor with either quickstep or Bloodhound step but a Hoarfrost stomp one as delete. In some months will be: check wiki to get 4-5 weapons to not get hosed in progress.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm thinking of using the pizza cutter just because i find it funny to cut up bosses with it. Is it at all viable? What's a good build for it if I do plan to respec to using it? I just defeated rahdan and haven't entered the capital yet.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
hoarfrost was cool as gently caress but it was way too good to use, i agree with the poster who said that things being too op actually limits the options. it's also the difference between something being good and something wiping out a boss in two or three L2 spams. it was faster than an R1 attack with less recovery and more damage, in an AOE cone, that hits twice, with completely trivial FP cost. i mean.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
though it was nice to not have to get good at the melania boss fight with mimic tear and hoarfrost lol, i can't lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Eej posted:

You don't need Hoarfrost to beat Rennala just literally any melee weapon and maybe an ash. Bloody Slash still does insane damage at low levels just hit her with it a few times.

Imagine someone really bad at this game, like, REALLY bad. Now break both their arms. That's me.

I will probably go with the 'summon random peeps' strat.