Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

‘warmth driven north by bomb cyclone’

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
love my jokerfied jet stream

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

TACD posted:

but now it’s blue as in sad :smith:

that doesnt make any sense

why would it be sad when all these new and exciting shipping lanes have opened????

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The ocean really has no appreciation for Number.

This is why we came out of it :mad:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

kater posted:

‘warmth driven north by bomb cyclone’

cool

Bomb rear end cyclone titties

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

TACD posted:

but now it’s blue as in sad :smith:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
thinking about how, on a long enough time horizon, democrats would deal with the sun's eventual encroachment on our atmosphere

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/us_stormwatch/status/1504326446591840264?s=21

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Laterite posted:

thinking about how, on a long enough time horizon, democrats would deal with the sun's eventual encroachment on our atmosphere

More solar panel tax cuts, duh.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Laterite posted:

Vote. Cyber-Obama will give you access to means-tested escape spaceships, but only if they can get a Senate supermajority with twelve of the twenty seats.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/article/162772/supply-chain-ukraine/

quote:

The food industry is bracing itself for supply chain disruptions in the wheat and sunflower oil sectors as the war in Ukraine continues.

Gonna play war with the kids next time it rains outside.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

thankfully there's still plenty of water in the ground

The water levels of colorado river reservoirs is dismal too

they're all fighting one another to keep their water levels at power generating capacity: https://coloradosun.com/2022/03/16/lake-powell-water-below-buffer-zone/

lake powell itself is so low that only one place to put in a boat is open; and it keeps having to be extended further into the lake

none of it should have ever existed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

thankfully there's still plenty of water in the ground

The water levels of colorado river reservoirs is dismal too

they're all fighting one another to keep their water levels at power generating capacity: https://coloradosun.com/2022/03/16/lake-powell-water-below-buffer-zone/

lake powell itself is so low that only one place to put in a boat is open; and it keeps having to be extended further into the lake

none of it should have ever existed

I was listening to a book about the taking of the American west and the first group of travelers the US government sent on an expedition through the American southwest to map and draw the landscapes were... not taken by the desert they found themselves in. They expected the same greenery they'd seen from America so far and were disgusted to find themselves in a vast orange hellscape lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

read Cadillac Desert

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
if i were dealing with a long-term declining amount of annually renewable snowpack, i would simply drill and pump out more groundwat- wait

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

read Cadillac Desert

I'll add it to the list

The book I was talking about is "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides, which has a lot of good 1800s America stories that exemplify how stupid, brutal, wasteful, etc. we've been.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'll add it to the list

The book I was talking about is "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides, which has a lot of good 1800s America stories that exemplify how stupid, brutal, wasteful, etc. we've been.
oh poo poo, kit carson. i will read

so many places named after him in the west :(

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

i cannot wait until the american southwest runs out of water completely and becomes an unlivable hellscape

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

interesting discussion, they do fully agree that civilization as we know it is over, at one point they mention that while many people acknowledge climate change is bad, they don't recognize the effect it will have on future generations, including their own children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVhpcpJcNkQ

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Mar 17, 2022

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
well that sounds wrong, civilization as we know it will be just fine once we figure out how to get past eating food

Midwestern US has lost 57.6 trillion metric tons of soil due to agricultural practices, study finds

quote:

A new study in the journal Earth’s Future led by the University of Massachusetts Amherst shows that, since Euro-American settlement approximately 160 years ago, agricultural fields in the midwestern U.S. have lost, on average, two millimeters of soil per year. This is nearly double the rate of erosion that the USDA considers sustainable. Furthermore, USDA estimates of erosion are between three and eight times lower than the figures reported in the study. Finally, the study’s authors conclude that plowing, rather than the work of wind and water, is the major culprit.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Wakko posted:

well that sounds wrong, civilization as we know it will be just fine once we figure out how to get past eating food

Midwestern US has lost 57.6 trillion metric tons of soil due to agricultural practices, study finds
"New research, led by UMass Amherst, shows that human-caused erosion in America’s Breadbasket is far greater than previously thought":unsmigghh:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
When all "prediction" end up wrong in one way, smart people adjust because they want to look good. Not scientist, what pillars of professionalism.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Every other day an article emerges with that clause almost verbatim. It's time to revise the predictions, everybody. If everything is always much worse than you could have imagined, the problem isn't with imagination, it's with you

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wakko posted:

in the manga knights of sidonia humans were genetically modified to subsist on sunlight via photosynthesis

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Koirhor posted:

in the manga knights of sidonia humans were genetically modified to subsist on sunlight via photosynthesis

"The ship also seems to run on what is called "Organic Converter Reactors", where they send people who have reached an age limit of some sort to die and become fuel for the ship. It is also believed that the organic material is also partially used for the production of food."

:thunk:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in the book of the new sun a time traveler from a utopian future where people have turned themselves into plants ends up in the books timeline and his captors force him to live in near darkness so he can experience the privation natural to human life

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wakko posted:

I don't see why people think that the US has a bad history of soil management when it comes to agriculture

Unrelated note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ5cf_WuJs0

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
oops! all denudation

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Cool let's grow nuts

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the fact that all forecasts end up underestimating how hosed we are just proves that scientists don't know what they're doing, which means that climate change isn't real. qed

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hubbert posted:

if i were dealing with a long-term declining amount of annually renewable snowpack, i would simply drill and pump out more groundwat- wait

for, you know, growing alfalfa in the desert and keeping golf courses green, important stuff

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 6 days!)

SplitSoul posted:

Six Hundred and Twenty-Five Quadrillion Americans

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I don't see why people think that the US has a bad history of soil management when it comes to agriculture

Unrelated note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ5cf_WuJs0

Settlers not bothering with soil management because they had abundant fertile land spread out in front of them, even as they wrecked the earth.

You can see the same care for nature and forward thinking among modern Americans

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

in the book of the new sun a time traveler from a utopian future where people have turned themselves into plants ends up in the books timeline and his captors force him to live in near darkness so he can experience the privation natural to human life

oh ya that’s a good one!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

actionjackson posted:

interesting discussion, they do fully agree that civilization as we know it is over, at one point they mention that while many people acknowledge climate change is bad, they don't recognize the effect it will have on future generations, including their own children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVhpcpJcNkQ

"Your kids are absolutely, unequivocally hosed" is a lesson that even a lot of doom pilled people are having a hard time accepting right now. The generation coming up right now is in the goldilocks zone where there's just no conceivably optimistic outcome for them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

"Your kids are absolutely, unequivocally hosed" is a lesson that even a lot of doom pilled people are having a hard time accepting right now. The generation coming up right now is in the goldilocks zone where there's just no conceivably optimistic outcome for them.

you wouldnt want to be in your prime when mankind finally begins to live (die) again?
sad. touch grass (while it exists still) etc.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
it'll be nice when cars and phones go away but the conditions surrounding that will be not so nice

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hubbert posted:

"The ship also seems to run on what is called "Organic Converter Reactors", where they send people who have reached an age limit of some sort to die and become fuel for the ship. It is also believed that the organic material is also partially used for the production of food."

:thunk:
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
Majora's Mask was a cherished video game of mine, in it, there's a sword teacher that says and boasts not to worry about the moon getting closer and closer, he will face the moon with his sword and cleave it and it will be of no concern; iirc, there are even people in the town who say they're not worried about the getting closer because clearly the sword teacher is going to handle it. last hours the sword teacher is nowhere to be found because he is holed up in the back of his dojo screaming and crying how he doesn't want to die

i think about that and that game alot more these days