Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

We need to give the exec's and their friends time to sell all their shares before announcing bankruptcy.

Edit 51: Since 51 is the product of the distinct Fermat primes 3 and 17, a regular polygon with 51 sides is constructible with compass and straightedge

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
In lighter news.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1504413404236234765

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

OwlFancier posted:

But if you are trying to argue that the west is somehow responsible then whether or not russia imagines them to be legitimate is utterly irrelevant, you are essentially just saying "well they think it's a good idea" which, like, obviously? They wouldn't have invaded if they didn't think invading was a good idea.

Why bring it up unless the suggestion is that they are somehow legitimate and that ukraine is at fault for "attacking russia".

Because whether we like it or not people making significant decisions do think and act as if the republics are legitimate whether that is sincere of them or not, for purposes of US style regime change or whatever weird goals the RusNats have. Doesn't make it right, but ignoring this as a factor has been a major part of the problem.

I mean, I'll say if if it means my point will be taken seriously - Putin is a nationalist gangster and his invasion is not justified. I'll say it here to you guys because I respect the UKMT a hell of a lot. But I'd never say that in a discussion outside of here because I shouldn't have to! Now can we move past that please?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again, though, that is not distinct from naked imperial ambition, adding stages to the process does not make it more nuanced.

Russia does not consider Ukraine to be a country that has a right to independent governance, I think everyone understands that quite well because they have invaded the place with the intent of removing its government.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 17, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

You know what, bring it. Leave won in large part because nobody in power was willing to refute the big lie, that "life is getting worse because of Brussels and immigrants" because it would have meant admitting that austerity and community damage and privatization were all deliberate unnecessary choices done to enrich their favoured few.

A green new deal could be used as part of a plan to improve the general welfare, the windfalls from green tech could be reinvested in communities, or net zero could be used as cover for a new austerity to further immiserate us all. There's such an obvious positive case here that if they can't make it it's obvious which one they're planning.

I'm not exactly sure which groups "they" refers to here, but that doesn't make this post any less than 100% accurate. The downsides of abandoning climate action are so enormous though it's extremely hard not to care.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cookie Cutter posted:

You think I don't know that? It still doesn't change the attitude of the people in the Russian government either way. Notice I'm not actually saying I agree with this position, because I shouldn't have to! Thanks for condescending to me about "what's really going on" and telling me to gently caress off though.

Here's the thing, you started this venture on the premise that, for discussion's sake, you were laying the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet and asked for counterarguments. You didn't provide any sort of thesis statement on why you were laying the blame there in the first place, so that requires people responding to you to guess why, for discussion's sake, you might be doing so. If you then provide the Kremlin's arguments in response to people's points, it's not unreasonable at all for people to assume that the reason you'd be laying the majority of the blame at the feet of NATO is because you believe in the basic thrust of these points. Because each of your responses carries the implied coda of "and that's why it's not mostly Russia's fault".

So if, for discussion's sake, you want to lay the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet, how about instead of asking for counter arguments and then responding to each one with "oh but that's not my position", how about you tell us what your rationale actually is for laying the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet, for discussion's sake?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Reveilled posted:

Here's the thing, you started this venture on the premise that, for discussion's sake, you were laying the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet and asked for counterarguments. You didn't provide any sort of thesis statement on why you were laying the blame there in the first place, so that requires people responding to you to guess why, for discussion's sake, you might be doing so. If you then provide the Kremlin's arguments in response to people's points, it's not unreasonable at all for people to assume that the reason you'd be laying the majority of the blame at the feet of NATO is because you believe in the basic thrust of these points. Because each of your responses carries the implied coda of "and that's why it's not mostly Russia's fault".

So if, for discussion's sake, you want to lay the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet, how about instead of asking for counter arguments and then responding to each one with "oh but that's not my position", how about you tell us what your rationale actually is for laying the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet, for discussion's sake?

Not if you're going to interpret what I've already said as "the Kremlin's arguments". Do you see me accusing anyone here of being a pro-West imperialist running dog?

Here's a "Kremlin argument" from the current head of the CIA and former ambassador to Moscow:

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/08MOSCOW265_a.html#efmBTnBfi

Cookie Cutter fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 17, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also really do not understand what you are getting at with your line of argumentation because I do not think at all that you have demonstrated anything other than that russia wants to invade and take control of ukraine, which I think people had already guessed, what with them doing that. I do not think at any point you have demonstrated western culpability for this.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cookie Cutter posted:

Not if you're going to interpret what I've already said as "the Kremlin's arguments". Do you see me accusing anyone here of being a pro-West imperialist running dog?

Mate, I'm very charitably giving you the benefit of the doubt there by accepting your claim that the views you're presenting about the republics being legitimate is not something you necessarily agree with. That is the Kremlin's position, I'm engaging with you in good faith by calling it their argument and not your argument.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1504123166444171265?s=19

Lol just naked corruption

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cookie Cutter posted:

Did I say that I personally recognised the legitimacy of the breakaway republics? No, I didn't did I.

Anyone still arguing with the fascist: please take note of this post, in which he states that he doesn't recognise Ukraine as a country.

E: and yes, that is what you meant to say, so spare us the mealy mouthed bullshit about how you actually meant the Donbas.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cookie Cutter posted:

No, I mean American civilians? You can't just add a "not" to my statement to make it mean something different.

According to international law the people in e.g. Donetsk are Ukrainian citizens, not Russian. It's not me that's saying that, it's, well, everywhere on earth that isn't one Russia or another, and of course you apparently. You seem to be trying to say it's the Kremlin's argument not yours that this is true, but, well, here is you personally saying the quiet part out loud.

Are they Russian citizens or Ukrainean? Which is it?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

smol bean Russia, owner of the world's biggest nuclear arsenal

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/benclatworthy/status/1504408879945461760?s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Guys, I just can't follow this Russia/ Ukraine argument. Could you reframe it as a Star Wars or Harry Potter analogy?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

feedmegin posted:

According to international law the people in e.g. Donetsk are Ukrainian citizens, not Russian. It's not me that's saying that, it's, well, everywhere on earth that isn't one Russia or another, and of course you apparently. You seem to be trying to say it's the Kremlin's argument not yours that this is true, but, well, here is you personally saying the quiet part out loud.

Are they Russian citizens or Ukrainean? Which is it?

It was simplified analogy which I have then explained later on. Not an accidental slip revealing my true fascist beliefs :rolleyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be very good if you could offer a better argument then because absent one it is very difficult to maintain a charitable reading of your position.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I wish the poo poo takes about Ukraine could be kept in cspam.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Some of his replies confirm that their friends who work there were fired.

Good News Everyone! Piss & Off

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Guys, I just can't follow this Russia/ Ukraine argument. Could you reframe it as a Star Wars or Harry Potter analogy?

Alderaan was making claims to neutrality while one of its senior politicians was secretly meeting with leaders of the Alliance. Opinions differ on whether the Imperial response was disproportionate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Russia are Slytherin: evil murdering cunts who want to rule the world.

Ukraine are Hufflepuff: completely irrelevant in the greater picture and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who can name two people from it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pistol_Pete posted:

OK, so there's this planet called Naboo inhabited by both the Naboo people and the Gungans. Now, a certain dark wizard has been lying low for many years since the end of a secret war of ideology...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Russian Empire has, with justification, invaded Endor due to the Ukrainian Ewok's military expansionism who had been egged on by the Jedi of NATO.

NATO must get rid if its Jedi.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

:guillotine:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Probably not the best time to use that emote in response to the perfidy of Arabic petrostates.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/ukrainian-refugees-dublin-correct-sky-23394550

quote:

At the end of the interview, Kay Burley thanked the women for joining the programme, but not before stirring viewers with one confusing line.

She said: “I’m so pleased that you are safe and what a terrible journey you have had but hopefully you can start to build a new life in Dublin safe in the knowledge that the British people are completely behind you.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if they came in a straight line from ukraine to dublin then yes the british people are behind them, which is probably the best place for them to be, honestly.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if they came in a straight line from ukraine to dublin then yes the british people are behind them, which is probably the best place for them to be, honestly.

Nah if you let them out of your sight they try to pass laws banning math or gay people. Better to keep the Brits where you can see them imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean if there's any doubt about what's going on in Putin's mind, that article they accidentally published celebrating their glorious and swift victory should set you right: https://mil.in.ua/en/news/brave-new...ion-of-ukraine/

Beau has a video talking about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIYfKWSAxw

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://twitter.com/KarlTurnerMP/status/1504378703001927680

P&O posted:

We will be making a major announcement today which, with the support of our shareholder DP World, will secure the long-term viability of P&O Ferries.

LMAO

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

loving outrageous. Temp contracts once again existing purely to punt workers with the mildest of benefits. Solidarity to the staff doing the sit-in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Should definitely sail the boats to somalia or something and try and flog them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Have you heard the tradgedy of Darth Jeremy the wise?

I feel like we could reframe it as an Israel / Palestine analogy and get some absolutely blistering takes at this point.

We will be making a 14 word statement on securing a future for white ferries.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This P&O thing is hosed up. Solidarity with the crew.

https://twitter.com/KarlTurnerMP/status/1504445837673480196?t=gxppZr1myVGVWFWTmWCctQ

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

"this needless loss of life is terrible and all but actually it's all about my personal vendettas :shrek:"

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Completely insane. Did the sale of the company need government approval?

Also, from that message the MP tweeted:

quote:

If you're in a customer facing roll further information will follow separately one how we would like you to work with our customers.

i.e. We will fire you after you placate our customers for us following today's events.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
If only there had been a recent attempt to end fire and rehire

But apparently legislation during a pandemic wasn’t the right way to ‘address long standing concerns about worker protection’

Suppose that might have stopped their mates coining it in by abusing furlough and fire and rehire eh

Cunts. 800 people without jobs right before a NI hike and a cost of living crisis.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Found a news article from 2012 where P&O were paying workers £250 a month!
Like what the gently caress, and they want cheaper workers now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That's P&O Cruises, which is owned by Carnival and is a completely unrelated company to P&O Ferries.

Getting on the bandwagon of importing staff to pay them £250 a month is exactly why P&O Ferries are doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
scuttle the ferries