Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, Tunic was never on my radar but after about two hours I think it's fantastic. Love everything about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Foul Fowl posted:

can you just imagine how hosed up elden ring would have been if it had been made by any of these big money companies.

I'm confident that now that they've reached the sales number stratosphere things will turn to poo poo one way or another. They get greedy, their owner corp gets greedy, or they'll be bought by MS for 7 billion dollars.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
so far they seem to be holding the course so i'm confident we'll get a few more amazing games before the people with the vision and talent retire or leave and we get DARK SOULS REMASTERED REMASTERED: HD REMASTER and SOLAIRE'S JOURNEY, AN APPLE ARCADE EXCLUSIVE: Prepare to Die . . . On Your Commute

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Foul Fowl posted:

can you just imagine how hosed up elden ring would have been if it had been made by any of these big money companies.

you mean skyrim?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm pretty sure if Bandai Namco, a merger between a big rear end fuckin toy company and a pretty big Japanese publisher/developer was going to pressure From in a weird way they'd have done it some time in the last 11 years they've been working together on these games, just a hunch.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think Namco-Bandai understands that From Software lays golden eggs.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't mean it like their big bad publisher will force them to stop making good games, just that fromsoft at some point will go the way of almost all other game dev companies. much like the plot of their games, it's an inevitable cycle where the people who made the games what they were in the first place aren't there anymore. the elden soulsbornekiro franchise will be another rotting corpse swarmed by flies and maggots, like warcraft or mass effect or elder scrolls or fallout or etc. etc. probably. i guess there are exceptions.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
blizzard, bethesda, bioware, bungie, demigods all, claimed their profits. the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered the shattering.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Does Elder Scrolls really count? The last mainline title is one of the most well regarded and widely played games ever made, and even ESO is popular and recommended by a lot of ES fans. I don’t think they’ve jumped the shark in the way that BioWare has.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
idk that the same thing is going to happen to fromsoft at all anytime soon when miyazaki is much more of an auteur-esque figure than those other companies have or had as creative leads and he's both president of fromsoft and still acting as lead director & writer on nearly everything they do

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Anno posted:

Does Elder Scrolls really count? The last mainline title is one of the most well regarded and widely played games ever made, and even ESO is popular and recommended by a lot of ES fans. I don’t think they’ve jumped the shark in the way that BioWare has.

you're right, i kinda bundle elder scrolls in with fallout 3/4/76 in my head since they're basically the same except one's got swords and the other's got guns.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

goferchan posted:

Tunic is delightful. Zelda 1 by way of Fez, maybe? It's a little early to tell . But it definitely feels like it shares DNA with the ambitious, thoughtful, and sometimes difficult and obtuse indie games like Hyper Light Drifter etc that seemed to be everywhere around 5 or 6 years ago but then dried up when everyone switched to making roguelikes. If you're nostalgic for that period at all this is definitely something you should pick up, but if you hated those games it might be an easy choice to avoid.

edit: that said there's a lot of accessibility options when it comes to combat etc if that's something you're into, but even just based on the first hour or so I have the feeling the game won't pull any punches with puzzles either.

I was worried it'd be too similar to Death's Door but it has a different feel and I like it. The combat isn't as good as Death's Door though

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Anno posted:

I am not the biggest Morrowind stan by any measure but I've liked it a lot, and I've also liked Skyrim a lot but I could definitely see the latter being much worse in a lot of regards. Popularity almost never implies quality anyway.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

lordfrikk posted:

I am not the biggest Morrowind stan by any measure but I've liked it a lot, and I've also liked Skyrim a lot but I could definitely see the latter being much worse in a lot of regards. Popularity almost never implies quality anyway.

Yeah but I think there’s a difference between games like, I dunno, Far Cry and Skyrim. Both are very popular but Far Cry never became an institution like Skyrim was, and is! Tons of people still play and buy and mod it and probably will forever in a way that no current Ubisoft game ever will. I get thinking it’s a downgrade from Morrowind (though I don’t agree it is) but I don’t think it’s comparable to the other companies listed at all. I don’t even really think Fallout qualifies except for maybe 76.

Anecdotally I think it’s reflected in peoples expectations for their respective next games, too. Tons of people are hyped as gently caress for Starfield in a way that doesn’t seem to be the case for the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect or whatever.

Anno fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 17, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Skyrim was good in spite of itself, like they forgot to take Oblivion's strongest point (the crazy rear end quests) and instead did some rote dungeon crawls. The emergent gameplay was as goofy as ever though and the setting was very cool at the time. People are expecting Starfield to be the spiritual successor, so I guess we'll see what happened with Bethesda when its released.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ErrEff posted:

Wow, Tunic was never on my radar but after about two hours I think it's fantastic. Love everything about this game.

Yeah it's really turning out to be something special. In case anyone's not aware, it is on Gamepass -- I think this was a surprise launch day announcement so I wasn't aware until yesterday.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Skyrim was good in spite of itself, like they forgot to take Oblivion's strongest point (the crazy rear end quests) and instead did some rote dungeon crawls. The emergent gameplay was as goofy as ever though and the setting was very cool at the time. People are expecting Starfield to be the spiritual successor, so I guess we'll see what happened with Bethesda when its released.

All I want to know is if Starfield is literally just Skyrim/FO4 in Space, or if they'll actually try to do something new eg piloting your space ship or anything cool

Until I see anything to the contrary though, I assume it's just Skyrim In Space

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Starfield is gonna be No Man's Sky in Space.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sab669 posted:

All I want to know is if Starfield is literally just Skyrim/FO4 in Space, or if they'll actually try to do something new eg piloting your space ship or anything cool

It's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be on the same core engine with some new graphical bells and whistles (Todd said so himself somewhere, citing the considerable existing institutional knowledge they have for the creation tools), so while I'm sure the scripting engine will have some new features, I wouldn't expect to see much that couldn't be accomplished in the present day Fallout 4 engine.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I definitely assume this is going to be FO4 with a coat of scifi/space on it and it's going to be hilarious with all of this buildup for it to be just that. I will be happy to be proven wrong though when it releases

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sab669 posted:

No Man's Skyrim

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Latest Elden Ring patch nerfed the OP poo poo people had been using to curbstomp their way through the game and the reaction online is amazing to watch :allears: It's not even that those things got dumpstered, they were brought down to a reasonable level but no longer 'mash this button to win'-level

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azran posted:

Latest Elden Ring patch nerfed the OP poo poo people had been using to curbstomp their way through the game and the reaction online is amazing to watch :allears: It's not even that those things got dumpstered, they were brought down to a reasonable level but no longer 'mash this button to win'-level

regardless of how i feel about the nerfs, the reaction is very funny

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Quick reminder that there's about 16 hours left to get in on the itch.io's Bundle for Ukraine. They're almost up to 6 million dollars so far. :toot:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Azran posted:

Though for people complaining about smithing stones they did cut the requirements in half and added NPCs locations to the map.

So it isn’t all nerfs

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

From catering to the CASUALS again by marking merchants and NPCs that you've met on your map

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They also restored a whole bunch of cut or incomplete NPC quests.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though for people complaining about smithing stones they did cut the requirements in half and added NPCs locations to the map.

So it isn’t all nerfs

We're gonna see retractions of those 10k-word thinkpieces about the majesty of Elden Ring's lack of map markers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there any roadmap to the stutter/performance fixes to ER?

Probably gonna get it in the next couple of days regardless...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tiny Timbs posted:

We're gonna see retractions of those 10k-word thinkpieces about the majesty of Elden Ring's lack of map markers

They will move on to the next thing just like how they accepted map markers in the first place despite NPC markers being the same drat thing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

They will move on to the next thing just like how they accepted map markers in the first place despite NPC markers being the same drat thing

I think it's a nice addition, considering dungeons and other POIs were already automatically marked on the map. Crucially, if an NPC moves from their spot, their new location doesn't show up on the map until you find them again -- all this really does is cut down on bookkeeping and it means I don't have to rack my brain to remember which of the 50 NPCs I meant to indicate when I put a map marker down. It is very much not a "quest log" re: all the discourse on that

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, a map that logs stuff I’ve discovered is good. The thing that sucks in games is when all you do is follow the dot

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That "Shredders" snowboarding game came out on Gamepass today. Looks pretty nice actually!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mordja posted:

Is there any roadmap to the stutter/performance fixes to ER?

Probably gonna get it in the next couple of days regardless...

Funniest thing is if you play it on linux with proton, it fixes the problem.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

humble games will be publishing ghost song in 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X71-wlczQU

this game had its kickstarter 9 years ago, so silksong has a lot of work ahead if they're gonna beat that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

humble games will be publishing ghost song in 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X71-wlczQU

this game had its kickstarter 9 years ago, so silksong has a lot of work ahead if they're gonna beat that

A sci-fi Metroidvania? That'll never work!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Protocol7 posted:

Are you playing Far Cry 6? I thought it was laughable how the story is basically your character wanting to run away, then just deciding "eh, gently caress it, what's being a guerilla for a while gonna hurt"

Well nearly getting killed and losing your best friend to the dictator of your island nation might have something to do this that.

At the same time I didn't pay much attention to that, it's a sandbox game by nature with thin plot elements on top to tie it all together. Right after that you get this wacky alligator wearing a t shirt for you that will attack enemies with guns and kill them.

CharlestheHammer posted:

And it should be said the delay is consistent so it’s pretty much a shake up, once you get used to it not much has changed other than you can get a few more punishes in if your feeling fiesty

Not all enemies have it, tons of enemies attack extremely quickly. It's just about learning general patterns and dealing damage/stagger when you have the opportunity.

The Elden Ring thread is literally the fastest moving thread on the entire forums, lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol speak of the devil, Tunic had me thinking about the early-2010s indie boom and now they've announced Monaco 2. I had a lot of fun playing the original in local co-op and I could see a sequel really taking off in the Twitch era.

https://youtu.be/q4eU18oF-X8

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hell yeah that's awesome. I loved Monaco but could never get enough people to try it with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

I think it's a nice addition, considering dungeons and other POIs were already automatically marked on the map. Crucially, if an NPC moves from their spot, their new location doesn't show up on the map until you find them again -- all this really does is cut down on bookkeeping and it means I don't have to rack my brain to remember which of the 50 NPCs I meant to indicate when I put a map marker down. It is very much not a "quest log" re: all the discourse on that

It is a nice addition and one I said would be good, but the ER thread assured me they would never stoop so low.

I thought they would wait until the next game, but considering how fast they did it it was probably just cut from release to get it shipped