Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They’re getting trounced pretty hard, which is good, but their consolidated hardcore electorate is still more numerous than the fractured opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
In somewhat EE-related news

Kazakhstan president proposes reforms to limit his powers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That all looks… surprisingly decent!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sounds way safer for all people involved with president. If there's always some "president for life" privileges that extend the usual prestige and safety then the next guy is way more likely to use the "for life" clause.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What do you mean?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If you have a lot of power, and some of the power is "for life", then the next guy has all the incentives to off you, and preferably your support structure/family clan. If you're just some politician that lost an election then you can sit on your rear end for the rest of your life in relative safety.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

If you have a lot of power, and some of the power is "for life", then the next guy has all the incentives to off you, and preferably your support structure/family clan. If you're just some politician that lost an election then you can sit on your rear end for the rest of your life in relative safety.

Oh, I definitely agree that this is a decent insurance policy against clan warfare.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The office for life thing was (ostensibly) only for Nazarbayev. Whether Tokayev would have decided "actually, nah, imma just keep goin" at the end of his term limit had the protests not occurred is a question we'll never know the answer to.

This is proposing having actual separation of powers, since currently the legislature and judiciary are functionally subordinate to the executive.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Looks like there's a major cyber attack against Polish railways. 19 out of 33 local centers are down. PKP is pretty poo poo, talking from experience, but I can't recall ever seeing more than 1 of those being down.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Alstom confirmed the outage was their fault, apparently due to a date formatting error. Sounds iffy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've worked with lovely vendor software long enough to believe that. Everyone always rolls their own date code and everyone always gets it completely wrong.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mokotow posted:

Alstom confirmed the outage was their fault, apparently due to a date formatting error. Sounds iffy.

Date and separator issues are absolutely a thing, they must have pushed a code update without doing automated tests on international options (ISO 8601 forever)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Polish railways, always incorrectly assuming something is a date

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
In other Kazakhstan-related news that I haven't seen mentioned before and that i randomly found elsewhere, displaying Z symbol (or Zwastika) on vehicles is prohibited and fined

https://web.archive.org/web/2022030...sultane-463253/

https://web.archive.org/web/20220312173822/https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/2022/03/08/kak-dostat-sosedei

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mobby_6kl posted:

Polish railways, always incorrectly assuming something is a date

New thread title, please

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Funny Polish railway story: every time they give notice about delay it ends with "the delay may change", and I usually grumble under breath that "it sure as gently caress won't get any smaller". And one time it did. It's still maybe 0,2% of all delayed train rides I had, but still..

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Emil Czeczko, the Polish defector who claimed to participate in mass executions of immigrants during the crisis on Belarusian-Polish border, was found hanged in his Minsk flat.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Everyone on Twitter assumes murder, but honestly, dude was known by family and friends to be super unstable, which led to him defecting in the first place.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Emil Czeczko, the Polish defector who claimed to participate in mass executions of immigrants during the crisis on Belarusian-Polish border, was found hanged in his Minsk flat.

Those VR games sure are dangerous these days.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

Everyone on Twitter assumes murder, but honestly, dude was known by family and friends to be super unstable, which led to him defecting in the first place.

The last time he made a public statement, it was about Polish neo-nazis allegedly fighting for Ukraine in the war, which he definitely didn't have any special insight into. It was increasingly obvious that he'd served his purpose, didn't really make any impression on anyone, and essentially wrongly accused himself of unspeakable crimes for nothing. Depression here is a given, and psychotherapy is not exactly something I'd expect Belarusian secret services to provide in this situation.

However, if he was murdered, Protasevich should probably be worried.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 17, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Jesus christ

Hanging is one of methods that the KGB likes to use to get rid of belarussian dissidents, that's what happened to Shishov in Ukraine. He went for a run and definitely didn't decide he's had enough suddenly

I can definitely see him having a change of heart and wanting to go home and Luka not being fine with that

Somaen fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 17, 2022

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Hello, this is my first time posting here, but I have to share the great news from Bulgaria
https://www.paudal.com/2022/03/17/former-bulgarian-prime-minister-boyko-borisov-arrested/
(This is the first English source I found in Google, I apologise if it’s a lovely website).

He was the personal bodyguard of our dictator and became our second longest serving prime minister, allegedly very involved in the Bulgarian mafia.
Wiki article https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyko_Borisov
Just to give you a clearer picture who he is, In the recent years pictures came out from his bedroom, sleeping with a gun and cash/gold on it https://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/epp-chief-tusk-borissov-confessed-to-me-he-made-obvious-mistakes/

Other politicians and businessman are also being arrested, but he is the focus. EU prosecutor Laura Kövesi just came for a visit and she did announce the EU announced they’ve discovered mismanagement of eu funds of 30 million euros, though the real amount is probably hundreds more at least.

Anyway, this is the biggest anti-corruption event we’ve had since we’ve become a Democracy in the 90s and gives me hope we might see a real improvement.
Our head prosecutor was assigned by him, so we didn’t have much hope for anything to happen, but apparently the EU prosecution bypassed our own and worked directly with police.

Unfortunately his party is still second in popularity (came back first in approval ratings for this week) and their supporters started organising and protesting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Laura Kovesi owns, and so does the EU Prosecutor. This is massive news - fingers crossed that Bulgarian political system, as well as other shits we have in EE, will take a hint.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This sounds great, congrats Bulgaria

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Laura Kovesi owns

not emptyquoting

watching her get run out by the PSD only to turn up again a year later as the EU prosecutor was just :chefkiss:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Do we have any idea what's actually happening in Transnistria at the present time? From what I understand there's several russian units stationed there permanently (and I know Moldova has been renewing their regular calls for its return recently), but how are those units being resupplied, given the war? And more generally, does Transnistria produce enough food to feed its population, or are they going to start running out?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Reveilled posted:

Do we have any idea what's actually happening in Transnistria at the present time? From what I understand there's several russian units stationed there permanently (and I know Moldova has been renewing their regular calls for its return recently), but how are those units being resupplied, given the war? And more generally, does Transnistria produce enough food to feed its population, or are they going to start running out?

Transnistria has since 1992 been under a Joint Control Commission, comprised of representatives of the Moldovan, Transnistrian and Russian governments, so it's not completely cut off from Moldova, but exists in a weird limbo of being a part of Moldova when it suits them, but not when it doesn't.

As I understand it, Russia's main contribution to its continuing existence is supplying gas via Gazprom to Tiraspoltransgaz. This is billed from Moldova gaz, but Gazprom only comes to collect when the Kremlin is angry with the Moldovan government.

Meanwhile, the oligarchs that run Transnistria have been able to run their businesses on practically free gas. This debt bondage scheme seems to be falling apart, now that the Kremlin has managed to thoroughly tank the ruble.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
so there was some joke image about russians adopting the "Z" sign as a pro-war thing because nazis are too incompetent to draw a swastika and well, love finds a way

https://twitter.com/aktroitsky/status/1504902547794018306

i am impressed they managed to gently caress that up, like what. how.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
That's gotta be intentional.. Or a photoshop, more likely

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

so there was some joke image about russians adopting the "Z" sign as a pro-war thing because nazis are too incompetent to draw a swastika and well, love finds a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NruE4S12A

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Can you explain what exactly they hosed up, for those of us not familiar with Cyrillic? Twitter translates it as Zalupina(and Serbian), I assume it's Za Putina, something like "For Putin" and I remember from the thread that Russian doesn't have a "Z"(?), but that's where it ends for me. 😞

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

It's a photoshop.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

goethe42 posted:

Can you explain what exactly they hosed up, for those of us not familiar with Cyrillic? Twitter translates it as Zalupina(and Serbian), I assume it's Za Putina, something like "For Putin" and I remember from the thread that Russian doesn't have a "Z"(?), but that's where it ends for me. 😞

“Zalupa” is dick head in Russian. It’s a mildly corny photoshop.

Edit: https://lvportals.lv/skaidrojumi/339022-latvijas-sporta-komandam-liegs-dalibu-krievijas-un-baltkrievijas-sacensibas-saeima-sonedel-2022

drat they’ve killed national hockey, lmao. Uhh, I guess we’re just an alcoholic country now.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 19, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

https://ridl.io/en/will-russia-cancel-its-next-elections/

> This year, up to half of regional capitals that face elections in September have planned to switch to a completely majoritarian system.

i love how local russian electoral politics are a weirdly relevant thing even though they have no reason to be. the machinations to show that the party in power deserves its station short of just saying "gently caress you, we win" are bizarre

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 20, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

https://ridl.io/en/will-russia-cancel-its-next-elections/

> This year, up to half of regional capitals that face elections in September have planned to switch to a completely majoritarian system.

i love how local russian electoral politics are a weirdly relevant thing even though they have no reason to be. the machinations to show that the party in power deserves its station short of just saying "gently caress you, we win" are bizarre

Didn't they also made it mandatory for voting to be online/digital? Meaning that they can game the results however they like?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SlowBloke posted:

Didn't they also made it mandatory for voting to be online/digital? Meaning that they can game the results however they like?

It's not going to be mandatory. But all workers, civil servants, and military personnel will be 'strongly encouraged' to vote online by their bosses, who will be encouraged to encourage their subordinates with nicely worded emails from the Kremlin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Sounds very secret ballot. They totally won't record which IP votes for whom.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Sounds very secret ballot. They totally won't record which IP votes for whom.

Or which login details/sessionID votes for whom. Which of course will also have a chilling effect where people will expect it to be not secret, so they better vote for UR least the boss has a problem with them later.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's not like Russia was a democracy before, seems irrelevant to the result. But I will miss all the cool ballot stuffing videos we get from Russian elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It is relevant precisely for that reason. Even the regime is finding itself shambolic.