Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Nohearum posted:

Found a really nice DT swiss rear wheel for a bargain price but it's 28 spoke. Am I going to die riding that on technical terrain? I'm a fairly light rider and I've never destroyed a wheel but I'm pretty sure everything I've ever ridden has at least 32 spokes. Trying to replace a blown Stans hub.

Almost every modern 28 is stronger than an old school 36. Even at 190, it took me a while to accept this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

1up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

While great and I love my one up. Looks like you can get that Kuat for under $450.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Any better hitch rack recommendations thank a Kuat Transver v2? It's my birthday gift so a similarly priced one would be best. 2 bike capacity is all I need.

The transfer is a great way to go just make sure it accommodates weight and size wise what you plan on carrying. I have a Sherpa and my xl sized sendy bike is almost too long wheelbase wise for it. Won’t be a problem for most people though. Also remember to account for buying the locking stuff in the price if you want that feature.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Russian Bear posted:

. Also remember to account for buying the locking stuff in the price if you want that feature.

What stuff do you mean? It comes with the integrated cable lock, is there more?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

This. I have a single tray, an add-on bike rack, and the cargo tray (which I haven't had the chance to use yet). I love my 1up, it's fantastic.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What stuff do you mean? It comes with the integrated cable lock, is there more?

Oh oops looks like the v2 has that included, I was thinking v1.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 7, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Any Asheville-area goons who can recommend a good trail really close to the city? I'll be on a work trip and I'm looking for something I could get on in the evenings.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Baronash posted:

Any Asheville-area goons who can recommend a good trail really close to the city? I'll be on a work trip and I'm looking for something I could get on in the evenings.

The closest forest trails are Bent Creek Experimental Forest. Anything that incorporates Green's Lick will get you a lot of smiles per hour. I can give some trail forks routes if you don't want to make your own. Hard to go wrong really.

For something a little rowdier, you can go down to Mills River and do a SpencerGap/Trace Ridge/Fletcher route that's forest road up and party on down.

Endless options!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Incoming annoying new guy questions.

I'm a road bike hobbyist (typical 40ish out of shape guy), some former coworkers have been hounding me to come and ride mountain bikes with them for some time. I ride road bike solo, it would be nice to have some people to ride bikes with.

I don't have a mountain bike so I'm considering buying one. Through conversation with my friend, I asked details of what they ride and what I should consider:

• "All mountain" riding
  • Recommends a 29" wheel (seems to concur with the fist post wiki)
  • Recommends 130-150mm travel full suspension

They all more or less have Fezzari bikes, though that is not a requirement. I assume that's a bang for your buck brand as they're not rich dudes. I have 2 LBS that sell specialized/trek/cannondale, but as you can imagine no one has any stock to speak of so I'm not opposed to ordering direct from fezzari/canyon/polygon or similar if I could get one in a reasonable amount of time.

What would be some good options for a beginner? I'm a run-what-you-brung type guy, so I kind of would just like to get a bike and ride it without messing around too much. I'm not sure if that means I should get a slightly higher spec bike up front vs. getting something to then modify.

Not sure what my budget is or how likely I am to actually buy something, but let's say up to $3k-ish budget, but lower would be nice.

There is an outside chance that I might be able to ride a spare bike to see how I like it, but they've been saying that for years with no followthrough so I dunno. Ideally, I'd get to ride with them first before I spend thousands of dollars on something.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The Fezzari Abajo seems like a decent value. I had an X-fusion fork years ago and really liked it. The $200 for a dropper and $85 tubeless is a little steep but probably not worth the hassle going another route.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm a road bike hobbyist (typical 40ish out of shape guy), some former coworkers have been hounding me to come and ride mountain bikes with them for some time. I ride road bike solo, it would be nice to have some people to ride bikes with.

I don't have a mountain bike so I'm considering buying one. Through conversation with my friend, I asked details of what they ride and what I should consider:

• "All mountain" riding

They all more or less have Fezzari bikes, though that is not a requirement. I assume that's a bang for your buck brand as they're not rich dudes. I have 2 LBS that sell specialized/trek/cannondale, but as you can imagine no one has any stock to speak of so I'm not opposed to ordering direct from fezzari/canyon/polygon or similar if I could get one in a reasonable amount of time.

What would be some good options for a beginner? I'm a run-what-you-brung type guy, so I kind of would just like to get a bike and ride it without messing around too much. I'm not sure if that means I should get a slightly higher spec bike up front vs. getting something to then modify.

Not sure what my budget is or how likely I am to actually buy something, but let's say up to $3k-ish budget, but lower would be nice.

There is an outside chance that I might be able to ride a spare bike to see how I like it, but they've been saying that for years with no followthrough so I dunno. Ideally, I'd get to ride with them first before I spend thousands of dollars on something.

Do any of these shops have rental bikes so you could try it out before you drop thousands?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Most good shops will have a demo to own program where a certain amount of bike demo (rental) fees count against the purchase price of the bike so you can try different bikes without all those rental costs going to waste.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
In the before times, yes. But now rentals and demos are much harder to find. Especially something that isn't 4 years old and beat to poo poo. Shops can't get new bikes to sell so for the most part they aren't going to have a bunch of rentals and demos sitting around. Some manufacturers are however doing demo tours so you could check on some websites and see what they have scheduled. For example:

https://konaworld.com/demobikes_2022_tour.cfm

150mm travel is starting to be a pretty big bike that is going to be happier going downhill on rough trails quickly. It comes down to the trails and rides you guys are doing. I tend to ride across town and then go on a ride on pretty smooth trails and then ride back across town so shorter travel, less weight, faster tires is what I prefer.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dreesemonkey posted:

• "All mountain" riding

where are you riding?

$2-3k will get you into something real decent

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

jamal posted:

In the before times, yes. But now rentals and demos are much harder to find. Especially something that isn't 4 years old and beat to poo poo. Shops can't get new bikes to sell so for the most part they aren't going to have a bunch of rentals and demos sitting around. Some manufacturers are however doing demo tours so you could check on some websites and see what they have scheduled. For example:

https://konaworld.com/demobikes_2022_tour.cfm

Not that you're wrong that things have changed, but all my local shops make a big effort to have current model year or at least current gen frames available for demo for all their popular models, so if a shop doesn't have any you (guy looking to buy, not Jamal) might want to ask some other shops if they do.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
my wife and I have hit some fun trails a few times and really liked it. I’m thinking about buying a pair of giant stance 2s in 29”. Seem well regarded at the price point from what I have read. Thoughts or concerns?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Time posted:

my wife and I have hit some fun trails a few times and really liked it. I’m thinking about buying a pair of giant stance 2s in 29”. Seem well regarded at the price point from what I have read. Thoughts or concerns?

No real concerns. Giant also makes Liv bikes. The embolden 2 is the women's version of the Stance with very slightly different geometry for an extra $50, not sure why that is. Depending on your wife's size 29" maybe be a bit much. My GF preferred 27.5" wheels as the bike was more maneuverable for her. She rides a Liv Intrigue.

E: It is speced fine but at the lower end. You probably can get a lot more bike for the price with a direct to consumer brand. If you can actually get a bike though....

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 15, 2022

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If your wife is like 5' 10"+ we've got a 2017 Liv Hail Advanced 0 that's in need of a home, or if you're a 5' 10"+ dude and don't care about riding a Liv. I spent about a month riding it (6', 190lb) and it was more than enough for me, basically a Reign with better colors. Might not be the best option for getting started in the sport though, it's a lot of bike and definitely most at home going downhill fast.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Buy a spur

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

e.pilot posted:

where are you riding?

$2-3k will get you into something real decent

North central PA

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Not that you're wrong that things have changed, but all my local shops make a big effort to have current model year or at least current gen frames available for demo for all their popular models, so if a shop doesn't have any you (guy looking to buy, not Jamal) might want to ask some other shops if they do.

I will look but I'm not optimistic, I want to buy my son a non-walmart bike this year anyway. Both local bike shops are small operations.

jamal posted:

150mm travel is starting to be a pretty big bike that is going to be happier going downhill on rough trails quickly. It comes down to the trails and rides you guys are doing. I tend to ride across town and then go on a ride on pretty smooth trails and then ride back across town so shorter travel, less weight, faster tires is what I prefer.

This will pretty much be all "drive the bike to the trails". I think I have a small trail system 5 miles from my house but it's a hilly area and I'll cook myself before even getting to the trail. I'm sure I'd be ok with less travel, but I'm not sure since I don't have first-hand knowledge of what the trails look like. I'd guess moderately rocky from our terrain here.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I think 140-160 is fine for an all-rounder as long as the rear shock is at least a 3 position lockout. Mine is 150 and i ride it on the local easy stuff half-locked, and the downhill park wide open since its the one FS I have. Not ideal but works fine with changing air pressures between the two as well. I am eyeing a dedicated downhiller if I can find a used one for a good deal but a single "do most" bike for starters is fine and can help you learn setup.

Riding is fun but I equally enjoy all of the tinkering.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Time posted:

They’d be good bikes to get started, but I might stretch just a little to something nicer if you can. The Stance frame has a QR rear, which is kind of a dead end for upgrading and limiting if you need to replace the wheel. Look at the Devinci Marshall or Norco Fluid FS in that price range. You might spend just a bit more, but you’d get better bones. You could also ignore this and probably have a blast anyway. Just something to think about.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ugh I am no longer on team Giant qr rear. Broke two of them on my old frankenbike, and I don't even go that big.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Any recommendations for a 120mm fork? Looking for something for a hardtail I'm building. Bonus points if it can be adjusted to 130 or 140 and swapped to my full suspension in the future. Right now I'm looking at:

• Pike Ultimate
  • DVO Sapphire
  • Fox 34 stepcast (120mm max)

I'm a fairly light rider (155). Currently running a regular 130mm fox 34 on my full suspension and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Can't seem to get it to perform well in small bumps but it does other stuff decently.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI you can get a DT Swiss or Hope hub into those "boost 141" frames if you put quick release end caps on a boost-spaced hub. I still wouldn't want one, though

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Nohearum posted:

Any recommendations for a 120mm fork? Looking for something for a hardtail I'm building. Bonus points if it can be adjusted to 130 or 140 and swapped to my full suspension in the future. Right now I'm looking at:

• Pike Ultimate
  • DVO Sapphire
  • Fox 34 stepcast (120mm max)

I'm a fairly light rider (155). Currently running a regular 130mm fox 34 on my full suspension and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Can't seem to get it to perform well in small bumps but it does other stuff decently.

Pike Ultimate or the Fox 34 with the Grip2 damper. You might try just swapping the damper if you generally like the fork on your FS. The Grip2 by itself is $360 or so.

RockShox is going to update their forks, so you might want to wait a bit either to get the new one or the current one at a discount.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 18, 2022

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Is there a real/noticeable difference between something like a Rockshox Recon solo air and a Rockshox SID/Fox Float/etc for typical XC/blue trail riding? Not shopping, just curious. I have a hardtail with a 120mm Recon Silver RL that feels rather boingy/stiff even after adjusting rebound and air pressure, but I've nothing to compare it to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Is there a real/noticeable difference between something like a Rockshox Recon solo air and a Rockshox SID/Fox Float/etc for typical XC/blue trail riding? Not shopping, just curious. I have a hardtail with a 120mm Recon Silver RL that feels rather boingy/stiff even after adjusting rebound and air pressure, but I've nothing to compare it to.

I think there probably is a difference and improvement in the damping qualities for the nicer forks. I don't know that I would spend a lot on an XC fork relative to DH/Enduro where you're cycling the fork a lot more frequently and your riding experience is much more impacted.

First Priest
Feb 12, 2010
I bought a thing!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks good! Are you in Spain? I don't know if I've ever seen a Cube here in Western Canada.

First Priest
Feb 12, 2010
Greece actually. From my research before buying, Cube has almost no presence outside Europe, which is sad cause their component/price ratio is insane.

First Priest fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 21, 2022

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Come join a goon bike discord:
https://discord.gg/7P3gzXR

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

First Priest posted:

I bought a thing!

drat, great looking bike.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

First Priest posted:

I bought a thing!

looks rad

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Mad jelly, congrats.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Bud Manstrong posted:

drat, great looking bike.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Questions about going tubeless. I bought my bike used 18 months ago and either I was confused or the seller was confused, or he was intentionally deceptive, but the tubeless tires I’ve been riding on turn out to not in fact be tubeless. I was running low to mid teens PSI since the fall, feeling lucky I got away with that.

Still, I’d like to actually have tubeless tires. First, is it worth doing myself or should I just have the local shop do it ($40/wheel, they say)? And if I do it myself, which kit do people like?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Do you mean they weren't tubeless but were setup tubeless? Or that they were never setup tubeless to begin with?

As for setup, if you have a real good pump with good airflow you might be able to set up the tires with that, or use an air compressor if you have one. That's probably the trickiest part, getting the tire set.

To be honest if you're going tubeless it's good to learn how and have the tools because you'll have to refresh the sealant at some point and if you deal with flats or tires wearing out paying the shop $40 every time is annoying.

Tubeless valve stems like Stan's are fine, Orange Seal sealant seems to seal up better than others (I tend to use the Endurance kind), watch some youtube and give it a go.

Again it's a good idea to know how it's done in case you do manage to flat out in the wilderness and need to put a tube in (always carry a tube, maybe something to boot the tire if it gashes bad enough sealant can't seal it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ought ten posted:

Questions about going tubeless. I bought my bike used 18 months ago and either I was confused or the seller was confused, or he was intentionally deceptive, but the tubeless tires I’ve been riding on turn out to not in fact be tubeless. I was running low to mid teens PSI since the fall, feeling lucky I got away with that.

Still, I’d like to actually have tubeless tires. First, is it worth doing myself or should I just have the local shop do it ($40/wheel, they say)? And if I do it myself, which kit do people like?

10000% worth $40 per wheel to have a shop do it, you have no idea what you're in for.