Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I mean she only has two years in her sentence. Should work out just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm not sure I'd support the show if they got her to come back.

At least Welling is still refusing the wear the suit lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like the second he said that about Mack he should've had to stop what he was doing to answer an all caps text from Rosenbaum.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Catwoman: Hunted was pretty fun. I wish its animation budget had been higher. Liz Gilles did an excellent job as Selina, but Stephanie Beatriz was a little... forced, I guess, as Batwoman. When it hits Max, definitely check it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just reveal her character was a supervillain and have Clark break her neck while crying.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ImpAtom posted:

Just reveal her character was a supervillain and have Clark break her neck while crying.

Jesus I get now you meant the cult leader in smallville but that came after the Catwoman post and out of context that made me go :wtc:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus I get now you meant the cult leader in smallville but that came after the Catwoman post and out of context that made me go :wtc:

I was also wondering if I was very much unaware of something in Liz Gilles' background.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I figured Injustice adapted to a movie would be bad (and you could probably watch the cutscenes if you really want that, or even better read Tom Taylor's series) but this is high comedy:

https://twitter.com/MunstaMasta/status/1499963322204102656

Puzzled why they didn't just get Grey Delisle back for Catwoman but that pales in comparison to Batman's smile.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I figured Injustice adapted to a movie would be bad (and you could probably watch the cutscenes if you really want that, or even better read Tom Taylor's series) but this is high comedy:

https://twitter.com/MunstaMasta/status/1499963322204102656

Puzzled why they didn't just get Grey Delisle back for Catwoman but that pales in comparison to Batman's smile.

I just tried to watch it now since it's on HBO Max and...it's really bad. I couldn't even make it past the halfway point. The art is weird and the voice acting is pretty rough.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All the sexual chemistry of throwing a brick into a bramble bush.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Imagine the love of your life finally pulling the trigger on asking you out while making a face like a sadder, more doleful version of Eeyore who just realised he needs to remortgage his house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But enough about my time in high school.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Injustice movie tries to do the entire comic series and first game in 90 minutes, omitting everything people like about either of those stories in favor of the most bare bones possible approach.

Things are altered from the source material that make no sense - The Flash is a key character in the comics and the game and unceremoniously dies ten minutes into the movie, but none of the scenes he would be in are altered so his lines are given to other characters and no one ever mentions him again, Superman's fascism never goes further than him just randomly killing a bunch of Joker fan teens, there's no army or takeover of the UN to the point where regular-rear end cops are still running around in the climax of the move.

The Harley and Green Arrow stuff remains but Harley's arc is entirely removed in favor of just dispensing really bad jokes the whole movie and Black Canary is removed entirely. Nothing anything liked about this storyline remains but it's here because hey the fans wanted it right??

Almost every character is miscast, especially Superman and Batman which is...bad when those two are the entire fulcrum of your movie.

The animation and action scenes are flat and cheap. It's easily the worst looking animated movie DC has put out.

Literally the only thing the movie nails is Plastic Man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Literally the only thing the movie nails is Plastic Man.

Now that you mention it a Tom Taylor Plastic Man series would be pretty dope.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Now that you mention it a Tom Taylor Plastic Man series would be pretty dope.

You'll get Tom King and you'll like it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCvWT_IRHDw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sad that they cut the part where Cable floats by shooting his guns.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

This is violence.

Why would you do this, half the fun is the JP opening song.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harley Quinn (animated) spin off in the works. Kite Man! Hell yeah. The actual idea of the show is that Kite Man buys Noonan's, the supervillain bar, and tries to run it by himself. Article mentions a cameo for Harley s3 James Gunn will be appearing as himself making a movie about Thomas Wayne. Also s3 will be doing a BTAS tribute episode where they got actual backgrounds from the original show.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaz-L posted:

This is violence.

Why would you do this, half the fun is the JP opening song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vub4cHtcqYU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is Cable such a prominent part of those credits, anyway? A ton of Japanese kids must have been disappointed that he was just The Wild Man of Borneo that one time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cable shows up a bunch later in the show, although it makes the "wild man of Borneo" thing even weirder because in the rest of the show he's a weird future guy. He was one of many 90s characters who were popular because they were cool and weird and mysterious and only got backstories years after their introduction. (so was Apocalypse, so it's fitting they ended up paired)

I think Cable probably got some of his comic backstory after the first season of the show had been planned.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cable is a pretty memorable part of TAS.

I don't know much about the comics but his backstory as Scott and Jean's future son is pretty heavily hinted at a couple times. Jean reads his mind at one point and is all weirded out and when looking at the X-Men profile one time on a computer thing he tells it to skip over the two of them because he knows them.

He had an awesome fight with the X-Men once. I remember making a video clip of it

He had one of the five good VAs on the show. (okay that's not fair. There were more than five but it's still a small amount comparatively. Cable's VA ruled though)

Speaking of the show adapting and changing stuff, I got a question. I was told this whole Phoenix Force came later in the comics. Is that true? Like Dark Phoenix was just Jean originally, not Jean possessed by a cosmic entity. It had more "symbolic meaning" originally when it was just Jean but I'm not sure how or whatever. Somebody just told me this once.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why is Cable such a prominent part of those credits, anyway? A ton of Japanese kids must have been disappointed that he was just The Wild Man of Borneo that one time.

Maybe they were playing up the American-ness (Americosity?) of the show. He is after all the guy with the huge gun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Maybe they were playing up the American-ness (Americosity?) of the show. He is after all the guy with the huge gun.

It's very anime opening standard to have a weird focus on somebody who doesn't do much or only shows up in one episode or, in Cable's case, both in season one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
had anyone watched that The Boys cartoon? pretty much everyone watched the main show but i haven't seen a single person talk about this new one (i haven't bothered either). wonder if Amazon is regretting trying to turn this into their mcu yet lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Cable is a pretty memorable part of TAS.

I don't know much about the comics but his backstory as Scott and Jean's future son is pretty heavily hinted at a couple times. Jean reads his mind at one point and is all weirded out and when looking at the X-Men profile one time on a computer thing he tells it to skip over the two of them because he knows them.

He had an awesome fight with the X-Men once. I remember making a video clip of it

He had one of the five good VAs on the show. (okay that's not fair. There were more than five but it's still a small amount comparatively. Cable's VA ruled though)

Speaking of the show adapting and changing stuff, I got a question. I was told this whole Phoenix Force came later in the comics. Is that true? Like Dark Phoenix was just Jean originally, not Jean possessed by a cosmic entity. It had more "symbolic meaning" originally when it was just Jean but I'm not sure how or whatever. Somebody just told me this once.

In the comics, it was just Jean getting super powerful and going mad/dying, from the late 70s when it started up to the launch of X-Factor in the mid 80s. They wanted Jean to be alive again at that point and came up with the idea that a spirit from space had actually taken on her form and replaced her, sealing her in a cocoon at the bottom of Jamaica Bay, where she stayed until the Avengers found and revived her. Even later than that, there was an indistinct sense that their consciousnesses and memories were combined in some way. The same guy was writing x-men comics through this whole period, Chris Claremont, though it was the company mandating that Jean Grey come back to life.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Jean cocoon and Phoenix being different stuff was revealed in Avengers, of all books. Then that continued into X-Factor, and none of that was written by Claremont.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nor was X-Factor, I should add. The story is developed in a number of X-Men Classic back-up stories by Claremont, some of which also set up Cyclops’ wife being a clone of either Jean Grey or the Phoenix. I haven’t gotten to that part of the main comic yet, but the back-up stories are really confusing!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Claremont eventually decided that since Cyclops's life with the X-Men was unrelenting torment, he should get get to retire to Alaska to live with his grandparents (who he never knew after being raised as an orphan because his parents got abducted by aliens, potentially because of brain damage). There he met and married a woman who inexplicably looked just like Jean and had a baby so Cyclops could exit the comic with a happy ending for once. (not happy for Rachel, the other person with the backstory of being Scott and Jean's kid from the future and was very upset at the fact she wouldn't exist in that timeline)

The problem with that though is that the comic industry hates endings, and eventually some guy decided to make a new X-book with a reunion of the original X-Men who had all been written out of the comic by then, which meant Jean Grey had to somehow come back from the dead and Cyclops had to slip away from his budding family to have adventures in NYC. And then when he checked up on them to see how they were doing, they were all mysteriously missing, including his grandparents. That eventually led to the reveal of Scott's wife being a weird clone of Jean Grey and becoming a supervillain Goblin Queen, and eventually Cyclops gets his baby back only for the baby to be infected with a robot disease and sent into the future only to be revealed to have come back the future as an old man along with another less-identical clone, Stryfe and Cable. Cyclops's disappeared grandparents are assumed dead.

Rachel Grey also eventually decided to live with her grandparents she never got a chance to know (Jean Grey's parents), until they all got killed by the Shi'ar trying to eliminate Jean's genome because of her association with the Phoenix Force. And Cable adopted a messiah baby to raise in the future only to plop it back into the present. It's weird how the Grey/Summers/Pryor family gets so complicated even compared to other other superhero families. That's not even getting into Cyclops's dad who's going steady with a space cat lady, Cyclops's improbable amount of brothers, the future-clan that raised Cable, Mr. Sinister, or alternate dimensions.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the Japanese X-Men opening looks like they were given a pile of Lee/Liefeld/Silvestri X-books as reference and not necessarily any episodes of the actual cartoon they were making an opening for, so it's full of Cable and the Brood and Beast doing that earthquake punch thing Jim Lee liked to draw.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

had anyone watched that The Boys cartoon? pretty much everyone watched the main show but i haven't seen a single person talk about this new one (i haven't bothered either). wonder if Amazon is regretting trying to turn this into their mcu yet lol

They kind of just pushed it out with no real fanfare. Like I didn't see any advertising for it at all so I wouldn't be surprised if people just weren't aware of it. It's... okay. Since they just went with a bunch of different people to make the shorts the quality is all over the place. Although for fans of the actual comic they do have one episode done in the comic character designs including having Simon Pegg voice Hughie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cable shows up a bunch later in the show, although it makes the "wild man of Borneo" thing even weirder because in the rest of the show he's a weird future guy. He was one of many 90s characters who were popular because they were cool and weird and mysterious and only got backstories years after their introduction. (so was Apocalypse, so it's fitting they ended up paired)

I think Cable probably got some of his comic backstory after the first season of the show had been planned.

Yeah, Cable was in New Mutants (or maybe it was X-Force by then) when the Wild Man of Borneo episode aired, but his backstory was still unknown, even by the people writing him in the comics.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember there was a story involving the days of future past future where Ahab was fighting him and implied they were the same person because they were both bulky old dudes with scarred up eyes, which unnerved Cable enough that he got knocked out. So even Cable didn't know his own backstory in the early 90s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

By the time Dark Phoenix was adapted in the cartoon the Phoenix Force being a separate entity from Jean was firmly established in the comics. When Claremont and Byrne made the original Dark Phoenix saga their intention was that it was just Jean. The Phoenix Force being a separate entity was a retcon so they could bring Jean back and have her not be responsible for a genocide of asparagus people. In the cartoon, Phoenix eats a sun and the Shi'ar explicitly state that thankfully none of the planets rotating around that sun had life on them, just barren rocks. That's not what happened in the original comic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

It's very anime opening standard to have a weird focus on somebody who doesn't do much or only shows up in one episode or, in Cable's case, both in season one.

See also the Japanese openings for Transformers Animated which put a lot of focus on very minor characters to try and make the show seem larger in scale than it was(which makes it ironic that it was one of the Transformers shows that got what was essentially a gag dub that heavily dumbed it down)

Skwirl posted:

By the time Dark Phoenix was adapted in the cartoon the Phoenix Force being a separate entity from Jean was firmly established in the comics. When Claremont and Byrne made the original Dark Phoenix saga their intention was that it was just Jean. The Phoenix Force being a separate entity was a retcon so they could bring Jean back and have her not be responsible for a genocide of asparagus people. In the cartoon, Phoenix eats a sun and the Shi'ar explicitly state that thankfully none of the planets rotating around that sun had life on them, just barren rocks. That's not what happened in the original comic.

I recall reading once that Claremont was pretty pissed off about the artist adding the whole "Dark Phoenix blows up the Broccoli Men" bit since that hadn't been planned by him and it made resolving the arc a pain in the rear end since his original plans were for Jean to survive the arc and now he had to kill her because someone in editorial(maybe Jim Shooter, can't remember for sure) didn't want a mass murderer to stay alive

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

See also the Japanese openings for Transformers Animated which put a lot of focus on very minor characters to try and make the show seem larger in scale than it was(which makes it ironic that it was one of the Transformers shows that got what was essentially a gag dub that heavily dumbed it down)

I recall reading once that Claremont was pretty pissed off about the artist adding the whole "Dark Phoenix blows up the Broccoli Men" bit since that hadn't been planned by him and it made resolving the arc a pain in the rear end since his original plans were for Jean to survive the arc and now he had to kill her because someone in editorial(maybe Jim Shooter, can't remember for sure) didn't want a mass murderer to stay alive

It was Shooter and I absolutely agree with him on that point. I know it wasn't what Claremont had planned, but I don't know one way or the other if he was genuinely pissed about it.

Edit: Also, not to be pedantic, just because this is a mistake I've made in the past. It's Asparagus people, the Broccoli people were in N.E.X.T.wave

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Interesting. That does all sound decently different. Thanks for the information everyone.

I think the Dark Phoenix Saga is one of the more memorable and well done parts of TAS, at least in my memory.
I'll never forget this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K956y2om92I&t=55s

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

I've seen it. That's all I have to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
The Boys cartoon was mostly fine. A really good episode done by Andy Samberg.

A couple of alright episodes.

I didn't like the one by Awkwafina.

A fun experiment, and I'd be interested in seeing if they continued to do these every year or so.