Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got an email from HR chiding me for not completing a "Very important" strength assessment from Gallup and a follow-up from my boss that was basically "Please do this so I stop getting the emails that you're not doing it." It was actually dumber than I thought it'd be.

It was about 200... Not even questions, they were just paired statements and a spectrum of radio buttons to click where you fell on the spectrum (Think those "Strongly agree, agree, neither agree nor disagree, disagree, strongly disagree" surveys), but... Almost none of them were actually dichotomies?

One had "I like being alone" on one end of the spectrum and "I am considered well-organized" on the other.

Apparently my main strength is "Strategic thinking"???? :confused:

It's a horoscope for corporations that HR can force people to engage with.

My employer rolled it out several years ago to much fanfare, with accompanying trainings, all hands meetings, free books, and even a couple of paid speakers. Nothing ever happened with it beyond the initial frenzy and people bringing their strengths up during internal interviews to try and justify why they deserved the new role.

Somewhat related but my current role interacts with a range of executive level types and good God almighty so many of them are just empty husks incapable of anything but networking. Every two years a new crop parachutes in, hires a ton of their former coworkers and friends as directors/VPs with nebulous responsibilities, then start making GBS threads out stupid ideas and plans until everything blows up and they leave to go do it again elsewhere.

Capitalism is wild as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Escape From Noise posted:

Because craft beer=IPA and every new trend is an IPA. At this point it's more of a marketing term than an actual style. I know a guy who has a small pub near Tokyo. He had a pale ale and sales weren't great so he started calling it an IPA and suddenly he was selling out of it.

People do love pastry stouts though.

I think you've just solved the dual mystery of "why is every other loving beer I see an IPA" and "how is it that there are some things marked as IPAs that I actually find drinkable?"

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I hate those loving "personality test" things every employer thinks people dont just lie on, the worst ones repeat the same like 4 questions just worded differently to try and catch you out somehow.
So the mask mandate is over here, just in time for new strains of Covid. I'll keep on masking, thanks.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I think you've just solved the dual mystery of "why is every other loving beer I see an IPA" and "how is it that there are some things marked as IPAs that I actually find drinkable?"

IPA is the most marketable ale name I think. Probably due to a lot of factors. I mean first you had Sierra Nevada and others invent the West Coast IPA based on malt and hop varieties available to small breweries at the time and also trying to make something new from older British ale styles. After that you got double/Imperial IPA, white IPA, black IPA (not sure how a beer can be both black and pale), red IPA, brown IPA, triple IPA, grapefruit IPA, rye IPA, session IPA, New England IPA, milkshake IPA, brut IPA (lol, remember that one?), IPL, cold IPA, sour IPA, etc. It's kind of the flagship of craft beer and it's like the entry level style. Breweries have gone out of business because they didn't produce it. I'm not the biggest fan, but it is the reality. I've been thinking more seriously about opening my own place. I'd love to focus on more European styles, but I'll have to make an IPA. I just would like to avoid doing hazy IPA, or at least milkshake IPA.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i appreciate the commercial beerposting, it's very interesting

and yes, please take hazy and milkshake ipas and kill them with a shovel to the back of the neck

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Outrail posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I've literally screamed at my board that I need them to gently caress off and leave me alone so I can get on top of deadlines long enough to find time to train my existing staff and hire someone and train them to take tasks off my hands. But it takes time to do that. And we're really tight and backlogged on deadlines at the moment so it takes longer than it normally would to build enough slack in my pipeline to find and train someone. They literally promised me they'd back off for a month so I can do this and showed an incredible amount of self restraint by waiting 10 days before pilling poo poo on me again. It's pathological.

I'm going to inform them they've hit the point of repercussions and every single email I recive from them for a week will be deleted unread regardless of urgency. Any complaints and it goes up to two weeks. If something critical happens that's on them. Further complaints and they can watch everything I've built over the last two years come crashing down when I gently caress off to a 50% pay raise with cushy mining job. It's immature as hell but I'm at the end of my rope.

:moments:

I'm at the top. There is literally nowhere to go but quit.

The best thing is at our latest board meeting almost every member put down 'staff burnout' as their main concern but I guess it's impossible not to jam your dick in the hornets nest.

Ah, so that's a position where you have actual control over company profits.

I had a big thing written up but I get the feeling you're just needing to vent. Blast that poo poo out here because you need to be ice cold to deal with the lizard people on the board.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm glad my posts aren't getting in the way.

In delicious schadenfreude news the really awful brewery I worked at for all of four months last year with the poo poo schedule, bad pay, awful practices, and lovely beer lost the only other brewer there and one of the higher ups in the kitchen a few months after I bailed. He overworked both of them so bad because they were younger I think. Both seem much happier in their newer jobs. The owner is still planning on opening a much larger facility and now he has to do do all the brewing and packaging. Lol.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
From talking to a guy at local brew pub, he wasn't crazy about IPAs either, but people go nuts for them. So those help fund the ales and stouts he likes on the side.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

From talking to a guy at local brew pub, he wasn't crazy about IPAs either, but people go nuts for them. So those help fund the ales and stouts he likes on the side.

Yeah, that's basically how it goes. IPA is almost always going to be your big seller.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ah, so that's a position where you have actual control over company profits.

I had a big thing written up but I get the feeling you're just needing to vent. Blast that poo poo out here because you need to be ice cold to deal with the lizard people on the board.

Non-profit. In some ways it's worse than an actual company

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: misread

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 17, 2022

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Outrail posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I've literally screamed at my board that I need them to gently caress off and ...
I'm at the top. There is literally nowhere to go but quit.

This was me a few years ago. In the end I quit, resigned from the board, and took a lower position at another firm.

I still have trouble adjusting to middle-managment. But the compensation is good and the hours/stress is better.

Our senior management/ officers all feel like caricatures. The chief technical is really loving good at, well, technical, but has no clue how to make money. If he touches a project we can expect to lose money. The marketing guy is 100% passive, just waits for the phone to ring, but then that's the most important project in the world, everyone drop everything. One of the VPs moved to Mexico and manages his team remote, works 4 hours a day. Big Boss might be drawing his management style from the Dilbert cartoons he prints out and puts on the wall.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Volmarias posted:

I understand very little of your beer-mans jargon, but I do very much understand "ugh gently caress this poo poo" and encourage you to post more of it
A mouse problem is when you have too many mice, insufficient mice, or the correct quantity of mice but some or all of the mice are not fit for purpose.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

~Coxy posted:

It's perfectly fine to say hello, just carry on and ask the question too.

GOOD:
10:00:00 Hello Coxy
10:00:05 Did you get that thing I sent you?
10:30:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

BAD
10:00:00 Hello Coxy
10:30:00 > Hi Hyrax, what's up
10:45:00 Did you get that thing I sent you?
11:00:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

(I wouldn't actually ever even respond to a hello.)

That makes sense. My concern is I have no idea if the person I'm messaging is working or on vacation or taking a three hour lunch, and try to avoid asking questions into the void. Some coworkers are good about keeping their statuses up to date (like we are supposed to do) but others realized there were no consequences for not doing that.

I'm glad my posts aren't getting in the way.

No way your posts are interesting, this isn't an office chat exclusive thread. I like reading about concerns at workplaces totally different than mine, like it was a while ago but someone was posting about the difficulty of moving heavy exhibits around a museum.

At my MegaCorp a VP likes to send out a video each week expressing congratulations to employees who have done a good job. There's no reward for getting mentioned although it doesn't hurt anything. When sending out the link to the video each week they don't bother listing which employees are being recognized so the week I got mentioned I had no idea until someone told me about it. I emailed the person whose full time job it is to make this video suggesting including names in the email so people would be more interested to learn what a teammate may have done right, rather than clicking and hearing them talk about people you don't know, but somehow that is unworkable. The same person wondered why view counts of the video were so low.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

There is a huge amount of disrespect in white collar jobs for folks that find their niche and want to stay there.

Like, I've discussed moving over to the experimental mfg team because I have a ton of machining background and got the feedback "do you want to go backwards, or forward at this company?"

I just want to do a job that I have some passion for, drat. I don't give a gently caress about squeeking 400 more cycles out of a part. If I was running a team making poo poo the world has never seen before, now that's cool.

I've been involved on both sides of this. I had a great engineer who just wanted to do their job. The "9 box" rating system would have them in the bottom right: great at their job, no real potential for advancement: because they didn't want to. And we would have been screwed trying to find someone that good to replace them if they did. This turned into me not being able to given them a raise due to the policy. It was easier to revise their 9 box rating than to deal with getting the policy changed.

On the other side, I'm currently working a job where I've told my boss and skip level that I'm very happy where I'm at and would quit if they tried to promote me. We had a policy enforced "career goals conversation" and I said I had none. It's breaking my skip level's brain. Some people literally can't understand not constantly trying to climb a corporate ladder.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pumped up for school posted:

One of the VPs moved to Mexico and manages his team remote, works 4 hours a day.

This exec gets it.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That makes sense. My concern is I have no idea if the person I'm messaging is working or on vacation or taking a three hour lunch, and try to avoid asking questions into the void. Some coworkers are good about keeping their statuses up to date (like we are supposed to do) but others realized there were no consequences for not doing that.

"Hi, I've got some questions about XYZ. Please let me know when you're available." or just send an email.

quote:

At my MegaCorp a VP likes to send out a video each week expressing congratulations to employees who have done a good job. There's no reward for getting mentioned although it doesn't hurt anything. When sending out the link to the video each week they don't bother listing which employees are being recognized so the week I got mentioned I had no idea until someone told me about it. I emailed the person whose full time job it is to make this video suggesting including names in the email so people would be more interested to learn what a teammate may have done right, rather than clicking and hearing them talk about people you don't know, but somehow that is unworkable. The same person wondered why view counts of the video were so low.

If they include the names, no one needs to click the video to see if their name is in there.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 17, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Aargh, this stupid Handshake hiring system for hourly seasonal employees is the worst. My job posting got denied because it was missing some information. The reason for denial was "Please use the job posting guide: <website> Some of the areas that are listed incorrectly or missing include: job type background check benefits"

So I fix it and resubmit. There's no messaging system within Handshake that I can see, other than dropping a comment in the progress log, so I give a polite "Hey, I fixed it, can you please keep this going?" Radio silence for 8 days. No way to find out who the person responsible is, meanwhile we're past the opening of the application period by 4 days at this point. So I email my HR guy who I love dearly to find out what's up and he says "Yeah, this system is difficult. Here's an email address I had to dig down into the site to find." I emailed that person saying "I fixed everything over a week ago, am I supposed to let somebody know? Am I supposed to create a new posting? What the gently caress, chuck?" Reply comes back pretty soon saying "Yeah sorry, the person approving jobs has been gone since last week, but I fixed it now."

For fucks sake, every department here is hiring hourlies for the summer, if you want to take a vacation make sure your time-sensitive tasks are covered. Assholes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

If they include the names, no one needs to click the video to see if their name is in there.

It's this but they want to eat their cake. They want something that isn't possible.

They're fundamentally incapable of understanding the difference between 'people should want to watch my video', and 'I should make a video people want to watch'.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Since my best work buddy went out on FMLA to take care of some poo poo at home, our company policy has shifted from, "1st shift can lose a couple people and we can be fine," to, "If there aren't at least 2 volunteers for OT from each shift every day we all have to work weekends."

In the plant we were told was closing in September a year ago, that is now closing in "March."

Whatever, I'll get paid almost $30 an hour to stand around and panel separate while listening to music on $400 headphones I made the motherboard for, to the tune of 2 hours 5 days a week for the indefinite future.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my team is having a meltdown this week over some social media posts

no, there was nothing accidentally posted, revealed or otherwise negative for the company. just some people wanted different posts

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the amount people care about what gets posted on company social media channels compared to the amount it actually matters is way, way off

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm picturing a much more odd, but also more boring version of John Hodgman's 700 Hobo Names.

"Number One: Dave from Accounting. Number Two: Charlene in Legal. Number Three: Holden the Expert Dream-Twister. Number Four: Shirish from Shipping."

Still has Big Rock Candy Mountain playing in the background, though.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 17, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Not really. I'd have to somehow punch a hole through two layers of stainless steel, where glycolic is stored in between and somehow sanitary weld a port midway up. Welders who can do sanitary welds aren't cheap. Neither is stainless. That'd probably cost a ton and take the tank offline for a while because you'd probably have to drain the glycol. I'd have to do it for probably all of my tanks as well because during production you use whatever tank is available. It just wouldn't be worth it. If I found there was an issue with fermentation after dumping the yeast and fruit there are probably cheaper and easier workarounds like pitching more yeast or something.
If you have any unused flanged ports on your top head there's plenty of dip tubes of variable length you can get from the equivalent of Granger Supply. Without doing ill advised things to your pressure release, you can get a dip tube about as long as your pressure release liquid lock is tall. Ex. If you have a hose going to a garbage bin like most brewers your size, you can get a dip tube a little less long than the trashcan is tall.

If you have any flanges free in your bottom head you can get a dip tube reaching up and use gravity but you need to blow those out somehow or you get even scummier samples, also a bitch to clean just between batches.

If that doesn't get you in the sample territory because of headspace you can get a longer dip tube but now you get into the ill poo poo where you are looking for more back pressure than your airlock gets you. Make sure your pressure gauge is good, close your valve going to the airlock. You need half a PSI for every foot your dipstick is long plus losses to friction. Get your sample then burp it back to normal. I'm not responsible if you blow a flange or wall out.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My boss upgraded to a new version of office and now she yells at me every time she opens an old spreadsheet and sees a "#######" in a field. So I have to run in and resize the column for her, all while getting an earful about how I broke it and how this new computer isn't working for her. :shrug:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm picturing a much more odd, but also more boring version of John Hoffman's 700 Hobo Names.

"Number One: Dave from Accounting. Number Two: Charlene in Legal. Number Three: Holden the Expert Dream-Twister. Number Four: Shirish from Shipping."

Still has Big Rock Candy Mountain playing in the background, though.

I cannot stand when my works ceo publishes half hour YouTube videos and does not publish a text format with the relevent info. It seems like such an arrogant assumption of what your employees time is worth. I refuse to watch them.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

exmachina posted:

I cannot stand when my works ceo publishes half hour YouTube videos and does not publish a text format with the relevent info. It seems like such an arrogant assumption of what your employees time is worth. I refuse to watch them.

Counterpoint: Sounds like they should be mandatory and you should drop everything, go Unavailable, and watch them every time. Preferably immediately before or after lunch :)

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong

DreadUnknown posted:

I hate those loving "personality test" things every employer thinks people dont just lie on, the worst ones repeat the same like 4 questions just worded differently to try and catch you out somehow.
So the mask mandate is over here, just in time for new strains of Covid. I'll keep on masking, thanks.

My favorite part is when my coworkers take those test results and plop them in their Slack profile for the world to see what their personality type is! And don’t get me started on astrology..

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Meanwhile, across the pond:

quote:

P&O Ferries sparks outrage by sacking 800 workers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60779001.amp

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

zedprime posted:

If you have any unused flanged ports on your top head there's plenty of dip tubes of variable length you can get from the equivalent of Granger Supply. Without doing ill advised things to your pressure release, you can get a dip tube about as long as your pressure release liquid lock is tall. Ex. If you have a hose going to a garbage bin like most brewers your size, you can get a dip tube a little less long than the trashcan is tall.

If you have any flanges free in your bottom head you can get a dip tube reaching up and use gravity but you need to blow those out somehow or you get even scummier samples, also a bitch to clean just between batches.

If that doesn't get you in the sample territory because of headspace you can get a longer dip tube but now you get into the ill poo poo where you are looking for more back pressure than your airlock gets you. Make sure your pressure gauge is good, close your valve going to the airlock. You need half a PSI for every foot your dipstick is long plus losses to friction. Get your sample then burp it back to normal. I'm not responsible if you blow a flange or wall out.

Unfortunately, blow off and spray ball are the same port.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 18, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Unfortunately, blow up and spray ball are the same port.

Blow Up and Spray Ball sound hot. Do they normally cost extra?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Blow Up and Spray Ball sound hot. Do they normally cost extra?

poo poo. I meant blow off

Edit: They are standard

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

exmachina posted:

Same but me looking for videogames help for this one part and having to :

1) find a video that isnt by some try hard trying to be a supastar just look up long play.
2) see which part of the video does the part, hope to god they do it in a way thats clear. also curse god that the actual game wiki , its steam page, or gamefaqs has a guide.

This also applies to literally any help lookup too. Good job that the infomation super highway has chosen some of the worse infomation dense methods to do things.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

exmachina posted:

A few pf the unfireables in my company have adopted this very pause-heavy way of public speaking. I guess they think it makes them sound like Barack Obama, but the unintended consequence is that you can play everything at double speed and still get the message.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

finally I understand what my partner feels like when I talk computers in front of her

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i appreciate the commercial beerposting, it's very interesting

and yes, please take hazy and milkshake ipas and kill them with a shovel to the back of the neck

I like a nice brown beer so there are local breweries I won't go to because all they make ia dank sticky hazy juicy sour double ipa all day.

I just make beer at home and enjoy drinking it.

I helped steward for a local competitor and got placed at the IPA table. I didn't sample anything except for 2 black IPAs to see what they were like.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 18, 2022

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The IPA trend was pretty jarring here. There are 2 beer styles synonymous with my town and specific breweries , IPA and 80/-. To the point where you ordered an IPA you got a Deuchers IPA, what else could you possibly want? Now there are hundreds of IPAs and it's hard to buy the superior 80/- now.

In terms of dumb poo poo my work does. They decided to change payroll providers which is fine no big deal. Except the old payroll provider handled financial advice for employees and you got a discount rate from them. So people have appointments booked but no idea if they are going to get the good rates, or what the gently caress is happening generally.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Man, living in Canada it would be nice if bars offered ANY IPA other than goose.

There are even some pretty decent breweries in Ontario and Quebec so availability shouldn't be an excuse.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I just would like to avoid doing hazy IPA, or at least milkshake IPA.

As someone who avoided IPAs for a while but recently found out that Hazy and Milkshakes are somewhat drinkable, can I ask why? Is it just an overpopularity thing?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Neito posted:

As someone who avoided IPAs for a while but recently found out that Hazy and Milkshakes are somewhat drinkable, can I ask why? Is it just an overpopularity thing?

Partially that, partially I just don't like them personally. I find them too sweet and samey. I mean, everyone is gonna their own likes and dislikes but I find the overwhelmingly popularity sort of frustrating. It feels like nowadays I'll go somewhere with 20 taps and they'll have maybe three beers I want to drink because everything else is hazy and/or has lactose, two or more random fruits, and/or vanilla added.
It's also become a way for some brewers to hide a lot of flaws, but that's a whole can of worms. Plenty of good brewers make these styles as well, so that's not a hard and fast rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i thought "hazy" IPAs were just breweries trying to market saving money on finings by calling it a new style