Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Lionel is definitely lower-tier but fun to use because of how he talks poo poo while doing it... berserking mages and then dealing extra damage to foes with a status ailment (like berserk) is his niche. the extra money is nice but becomes less important once Medina gets her ability to get extra healing pellets from picking up spoils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lionel is a decent tank, give him a movement ring and go enrage some mages and pick up spoils. Eventually he gets abilities for extra money and for spoils to heal him 50hp. Very nice.

Speaking of characters that have spoils-related skills, I’m trying to figure out Trish. She gets an ability that gives her TP when she picks up spoils but doesn’t have much to spend TP on so what’s the point? Making Leap free is cool though, she can cover a lot of ground and ignore elevation. If she could do a second action after leap she would be amazing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Her Ultimate is Act Twice which is basically what her TP goes to.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Act Twice and Fire Arrow are solid uses of TP for her.

Almost at the end of Run 2.

Run 3 is the one where I force myself to use Jens and Piccoletta (and Groma if she shows up)... could be grim!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jens is my man.

Give him the item that lets him act first so he can drop an immediate ladder, have everyone run up it, lay some spring traps at the base.

Then wonder why the AI decides to not even bother moving toward the party on their turns.

Anna takes the rear!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Jens is my man.

Give him the item that lets him act first so he can drop an immediate ladder, have everyone run up it, lay some spring traps at the base.

Then wonder why the AI decides to not even bother moving toward the party on their turns.

Anna takes the rear!

Jens is easily one of the coolest SRPG characters I've seen in a long time. His utility is unmatched. He hits like a wet noodle but if he's doing his job right he'll never need to.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Piccoletta is my favorite APC

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For half a sec I thought someone should make a Jens-movement-shenanigans puzzle/pinball SRPG, then I remembered that Into the Breach is a masterpiece. If anyone likes SRPG combat as a mechanical puzzle and hasn't checked that one out, it's brilliant.

Also Triangle Strategy needs to effect change amongst its editorial staff that way I might have an affect change. That's twice in the same cutscene.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else having gold issues early in NG+? Trying to catch up new units to change things up, maybe I should just go back and find a gold reward mental mock battle to smash.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Reik posted:

Anyone else having gold issues early in NG+? Trying to catch up new units to change things up, maybe I should just go back and find a gold reward mental mock battle to smash.

The new Mock battles that open up on NG+ give tons of gold just for clearing. I often got 20-40k+ on a normal clear especially if you're picking up all the bags.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spring traps rule and you can get a weapon skill that lowers the cost from 2 TP to 1 which is awesome. I should probably unlock it lol

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I'm pretty lost on NG+. I started a new run planning to use the units that I hadn't before, but the team carryover makes that not really viable -- I've got my core group all in the low 30's and then everyone else strewn from 8-25, so even the first battle is asking for level 35. Am I supposed to go do the mental mock battles and grind all my low level units up to par? That'd be super annoying. (or just playing another NG looks like I still don't get to see the conviction values on stuff?)

Also yeah re: Jens -- that 1 TP spring trap is amazing, can lock down just about any boss in the game if you can predict their movement at all

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I picked up a previous posters tip for Jens of laying down a spring trap and then advertising a juicy back attack, and they're right the enemies run for it every time and it's hilariouos.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

psy_wombats posted:

I'm pretty lost on NG+. I started a new run planning to use the units that I hadn't before, but the team carryover makes that not really viable -- I've got my core group all in the low 30's and then everyone else strewn from 8-25, so even the first battle is asking for level 35. Am I supposed to go do the mental mock battles and grind all my low level units up to par? That'd be super annoying. (or just playing another NG looks like I still don't get to see the conviction values on stuff?)

Due to how the game rewards exp, units catch up without too much issue since they'll be getting 100 exp an action for quite a while.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What’s the level cap?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

psy_wombats posted:

I'm pretty lost on NG+. I started a new run planning to use the units that I hadn't before, but the team carryover makes that not really viable.

The first battle is rough, but it gets easier once you're able to field more units.

The bar has new mental mock battles that will help your units catch up. I made an effort post that explains how experience gain works, but, basically, your low level units will get up to 100 exp per action based on their level compared to the recommended level. If they can withstand some damage, this exp gain includes follow up attacks, counters, and a few other actions. Putting a fire counter on a unit you're leveling, I believe, will help (as long as they're getting smacked by adjacent attacks, of course).

You could also just set it up so that you have support units give them haste and other measures to give them instant turns. Also important to keep in mind is that retreating maintains exp gain, so if that unit you're leveling happens to die early...

It will still take, like, 25-30 turns for your level 6 unit to get up to snuff. But, at least they can just use an item or something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zerilan posted:

What’s the level cap?

50, I believe.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

psy_wombats posted:

Also yeah re: Jens -- that 1 TP spring trap is amazing, can lock down just about any boss in the game if you can predict their movement at all

If you bring low-level characters into a higher-level battle they basically gain a level every time they do an action, so yes. I got someone from like 22 to 27 in one battle.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Alard posted:

Due to how the game rewards exp, units catch up without too much issue since they'll be getting 100 exp an action for quite a while.

can confirm, I'm still on play 1, but I was able to get my handful of level 5 characters from 5->10 in 3-4 runs through the level 10 mental mock battle. first couple actions were a level each.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Levantine posted:

The new Mock battles that open up on NG+ give tons of gold just for clearing. I often got 20-40k+ on a normal clear especially if you're picking up all the bags.

I played a few of these and I'm only getting like 10k or so, do I need to be making sure Lionel picks up spoils or something?

As far as raising levels goes, it only appears to matter what the recommended level is, so if a lvl 5 character uses a hp pellet on themselves they'll still get the 100 exp.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Is grinding expected in this? I haven't had problems with the difficulty until now, but I've been noticing a steadily increasing damage discrepancy. Now I'm defending the Roselle village and the discrepancy's reached an irritating level. It's taking me 5-6 hits to down a normal enemy, while my characters are downed in three. Sometimes two now that enemies with Spark have shown up, and the AI is good about keeping them at maximum range with dangerous meat walls in the way, including two bosses.

I guess easy mode's right there. Do I lose out on anything using it?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

YOUR PRIDE!

I haven't yet got to that point but I forgot that both that option exists and also that Quietuses exist. Possibly because I can't pronounce them or maybe because they're unique(ish) to this game and not tied to a character.

I've bought a handful of cool ones and to date I've never remembered that they exist in combat.

Probably doesn't help that I tend to shop before I save before I sleep.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Quietuses are *really* poorly integrated into the UI.

Mordecai posted:

Is grinding expected in this? I haven't had problems with the difficulty until now, but I've been noticing a steadily increasing damage discrepancy. Now I'm defending the Roselle village and the discrepancy's reached an irritating level. It's taking me 5-6 hits to down a normal enemy, while my characters are downed in three. Sometimes two now that enemies with Spark have shown up, and the AI is good about keeping them at maximum range with dangerous meat walls in the way, including two bosses.

I guess easy mode's right there. Do I lose out on anything using it?

You definitely shouldn't need to grind. I'm at chapter 10 and have maintained parity or above the entire time. You are doing each of the mock battles right? Like, not even grinding them, just doing them for basic completion helps.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I saved up 500 kudos to buy the Quietus that fully revives one character and it saved my rear end in the penultimate chapter

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
wow, lightning magic is pretty wild huh? Just started a map where there are like 3 enemy mages who can cast a lightning bolt, if a party member is at 2/3 health or lower they straight up get deleted by a single cast.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cephas posted:

wow, lightning magic is pretty wild huh? Just started a map where there are like 3 enemy mages who can cast a lightning bolt, if a party member is at 2/3 health or lower they straight up get deleted by a single cast.

Spark/Rite of Lightning are very good and you can potentially paralyze multiple enemies if they are all standing in water. It’s been helpful on a few maps. You could also make it rain first, if you’re using shaman lady.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Thanks for the advice re: NG+... I was hoping not have to grind out mock battles but I guess it's the only way. Hard mode unfortunately makes it difficult to bring in even a single deadweight unit as I've been scraping by the skin of my teeth the whole second half of the game (and looks even worse in the first half of NG+ now).

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

For NG+, the best money grinding is actually that level 10 mock battle. Bring a mage (any except Quahaug) and Lionel, and equip the mage with the Gold Pinkie Ring. Have the mage one-shot all but one of the enemies, while Lionel picks up the bags they drop. The higher Lionel's level, the more money you'll get per bag. In the mid 30s you can get about 7k-9k gold for about 3 or 4 minutes of work.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cardinale posted:

I watched the scene yesterday on my playthrough. Although if you mean she threw that fight and is chilling somewhere, possibly with the other guy that fell in the river, I could see that

Like did he fight her one on one or after him and everyone else was already beating her down.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Oblivious posted:

Quietuses are *really* poorly integrated into the UI.

You definitely shouldn't need to grind. I'm at chapter 10 and have maintained parity or above the entire time. You are doing each of the mock battles right? Like, not even grinding them, just doing them for basic completion helps.

I take it back, the game clearly expects me to grind. Three level jump in enemies between chapter 10 and 11. What on earth.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Since the game lets you keep exp if you lose a battle, they probably expected people to try the story battles multiple times before succeeding. Maybe.

I’d rather just grind, although some of the mock battles are very annoying!

Edit: anybody got tips for the final battle on (what I assume is) the liberty path? It’s the waterfall one. It seems kind of overwhelming!

One of my guests ran headfirst into death instead of trying to escape, but I just taught Hossabara Catapult and that might help me move them out of harms way.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 18, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Wow the chapter 13 story battle where you bomb the boat is rough. So many reinforcements and they're all elite meatbags with a ton of HP. If it wasn't for Erador taunting the mages and healers I would have already lost.

I think I can win this but I already lost a couple people and reinforcements just keep coming so we'll see.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Reik posted:

I played a few of these and I'm only getting like 10k or so, do I need to be making sure Lionel picks up spoils or something?

As far as raising levels goes, it only appears to matter what the recommended level is, so if a lvl 5 character uses a hp pellet on themselves they'll still get the 100 exp.

It varied for me, and some maps give more than others. I'm not in front of it now so I can't be certain what it's called but there's a map that's a "survive 100 turns" map at Glenbrook castle that gives a ton because of all the reinforcements. Lionell helps but I can't remember if I was using him at the time.

And yeah on NG+ the best way to level new people is just have them eat pellets like they are going out of style and never move.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they are called mental battles because the percieved need to grind is in your head.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just got to a story fight where the recommended level was 16 and Benedict was mandatory. My Benedict was level 3 because I didn't really care about that attack buff he started with.

Took me three tries to beat it (finally used a Quietus) and now Benedict is level 11 or so and he's gonna see a lot more use in fights. There's never a turn where I don't wanna either defense buff or movement buff someone.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Cephas posted:

This is how I learned different characters have wildly different magic defense stats.

Levantine posted:

It varied for me, and some maps give more than others. I'm not in front of it now so I can't be certain what it's called but there's a map that's a "survive 100 turns" map at Glenbrook castle that gives a ton because of all the reinforcements. Lionell helps but I can't remember if I was using him at the time.

And yeah on NG+ the best way to level new people is just have them eat pellets like they are going out of style and never move.

When you eat your full stock of pellets and then unlock Medina's weapon ability :cry:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Is it safe to assume the joint venture mine is filled with rock salt? I'm on chapter 13 or 14 I think and no one has explicitly stated what was in the mine from way back in the demo.

Also I'm enjoying the story since it's not handing you the completely obvious safe, good guy path. I tried to play blind, but I ended up looking up one choice once and found out there's a golden path so I'm making sure I choose those manditory things. Otherwise, still playing blind. I have no idea what characters I'll unlock.

What's new game+ like? Is it mostly just to grind whatever stats you need to unlock the other people and endings? How are you keeping track of what stats you're increasing via choices to ensure you unlock whatever? Guides I assume?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you keep going through the story, you will find out what Dragan discovered in the mine.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: anybody got tips for the final battle on (what I assume is) the liberty path? It’s the waterfall one. It seems kind of overwhelming!

One of my guests ran headfirst into death instead of trying to escape, but I just taught Hossabara Catapult and that might help me move them out of harms way.

I had a final battle on a waterfall with NPCs, not sure if its the same one. It told me to defend the NPCs, but killing the boss ended the battle. I found that if I just ignored my NPCs and rushed the boss ASAP (using quietus for extra movement points, and the one that makes the boss skip a turn) it was very manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Since the game lets you keep exp if you lose a battle, they probably expected people to try the story battles multiple times before succeeding. Maybe.

I’d rather just grind, although some of the mock battles are very annoying!

If it's the same battle I did, I just had Corentin spam ice walls to prevent the NPCs from going anywhere while the rest of my party completed the objective.