Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a big fan of the non-glowy bozja tonfa glam for MNK. They looked great playing EW with the new draw weapon animation you get in story cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Thundarr posted:

Huh, I had thought Reaper was much higher up in the rankings, to the point where people were thinking it was a bit over-tuned out of the box.
Until the potency changes at the end of January, Reaper was at the top with Monk but then most other jobs got buffed (including Monk)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also Reaper might have gear scaling stuff going on to be fair. It's kind of a slow melee class in terms of actual attack pattern, with optimisation that puts it outside the standard buff rotation afaik.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

re: monk weapon glams:

i'm a huge fan of the omega knuckles

and lately i've been using the crystarium knuckles

basically i like weapons that monks wear all the time, and aren't SUPER flashy since half their movesets are kicks so i don't want the fists to take all the spotlight. suzaku weapons are another good option. shb matte relic is good. some eureka ones, i think.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 17, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Omega fist weapons are so rad that I've been half tempted to level Monk just to use them.

Then again, most of the O12S weapons are fuckin' rad as hell.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
How hard is O12S these days?

I've enjoyed being able to unsync and solo a lot of Alexander lately and got some fun glams from that for various jobs, but there are a couple of Omega weapons I'd be interested in getting. I assume you can't solo it, but would a PF pug be able to handle it okay?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the only mechanic that exists at level 90 for o12s is number dashes

90% of farm parties will never make it past number dashes

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I like the final bozja MNK fists. Summoning crystal daggers to punch people with. I think Makai fists were the first, but there's plenty of options for "your fist with energy/crystals" now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, as long as your party can get past Fundamental Synergy, you can clear. That's a big if, though.

I recently dragged an FC group through it to get their Model O mounts and there were definitely some people who didn't get it. As long as a tank and a healer survive Fundamental you can probably limp past the door boss.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I don't know how big an ask this is, but I wish that MNK weapons that were "fists with glowy bits" actually were, well, fists, and not "default position for the fist weapon that you aren't holding"

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The one real disadvantage of Monk is that it's not particularly flashy, everyone else is vomiting Easter egg bombs and particle effects and you're just punching and/or kicking.

This is entirely the appeal of Monk for me. I don't WANT spectral dragons to fly out of my hands or vomit fire, I just want to punch gods in the face. Spamming Four Point Fury to breakdance is all the flash I need.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

The one real disadvantage of Monk is that it's not particularly flashy, everyone else is vomiting Easter egg bombs and particle effects and you're just punching and/or kicking.

I wish the moves were even less flashy. All 6 of the basic combo moves should have single strike animations and leave the multi hit anime moves to the blitz animations. But also that they gave true strike a better sound effect. I feel like it’s the only move I can’t really hear hit for some reason

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How long until the next live letter?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i do think twin snakes, true strike, and snap punch could use little punch-ups to differentiate them from each other, but dk and demolish are perfect and i wouldn't trade the sound effect on bootshine for the world

edit: also while i love shadow and four-point, rockbreaker just makes me sad every time i have to press it, the animation feels so outdated

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

These are badass :aaa:

Second to last stage of the resistance weapon has a similar aesthetic. The glowing symbol is smaller and more subtle and the Covering is like a half glove leaving the index and middle fingers exposed.

It's cool as hell

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I've been leveling Monk in my quest to 80 everything and it's really fun. I love when buttons light up so I know when to hit them.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I demand that Bootshine be upgraded to Bootyblast

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
MNK is in a really good place right now. It's very fun to play even at a surface level and there is depth to optimization that borders on unhinged. It's become one of my favorite classes again after a loooooong time.

Asimo posted:

Yeah, ShB/EW MCH is rather fun and intuitive to play even if it's fairly high APM compared to some other classes, the problem is the numbers are just... bad. It needs potency increases across the board, especially since it has no team buffs to really help out. It's a really weird oversight for square's generally good class balance, but they've consistently overvalued the mobility-vs-damage ratio for ranged DPS so I guess that isn't a surprise.

Even if MCH had numbers increases I think I would be really annoyed by how hard air anchor and drill drift all over the place during the rotation, but that's a personal opinion/game-feel thing I guess and I agree that it would definitely help. My weird pipe dream is that they give it a unique support role, it already has that level 90 trait for tactician, give it a bunch of mitigation effects and make it a weird mitigation DPS, at least then I would feel like I was doing more than tracking cooldowns while they drift all over the place. I don't think this would be actually good but it would be interesting at least :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

Second to last stage of the resistance weapon has a similar aesthetic. The glowing symbol is smaller and more subtle and the Covering is like a half glove leaving the index and middle fingers exposed.

It's cool as hell

here we go, just had to get home from work

I like the tacky gear Tataru gave me shut up

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/ChiliFarmer_/status/1504447205889003521?s=20&t=EoCRbfUctIrwNgMbfFJlXg

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

troofs posted:

My weird pipe dream is that they give it a unique support role, it already has that level 90 trait for tactician, give it a bunch of mitigation effects and make it a weird mitigation DPS

:rip:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bring back gun mage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just remove the ranged tax. Make the selfish dps all do the same.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Wow, I don't remember this at all and I played a lot back then. Guess it left some kind of impression on my subconscious though :v:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
the tax makes sense for bard and dancer, but yeah mech just gets screwed lol. I guess they're good at sniping ads

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/lamentorum/status/1504557375281324035?s=20&t=ZRZd8FaBfQUlf_Z7tmqtxw

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Bring back monk positionals, you cowards.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

Bring back monk positionals, you cowards.

Just put on your favorite dance music of choice and move to it as you do your rotation. Or play SAM.

Pick the Disco songs from Yakuza and pretend you're Kiryu.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Remove the remaining monk positionals you cowards

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My MNK muscle memory dictates that I do the positionals anyway even though I don't have to.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Positionals own. Play black Mahe if you want to stand still

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Shadowbringers: Y'shtola has once again yeeted herself into the lifestream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTS_D2i81-8

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP finishes the Warring Triad series and then probably ends up staring at the ceiling lost in thought for a while instead of sleeping.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mordiceius posted:

How long until the next live letter?

Good news, they just told us last night!

April 1st, 4AM PDT.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If yoship doesn't troll us with jokes about 6.1, I'm unsubbing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm hoping for something like Tactics Alexander or (minor StB spoilers) Magnai Fantasy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJxYLoun7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaI3YV4GeA

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 18, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did they ever release a full version of that 8-bit rendition of Rise anywhere?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Super Mario RPG crossover event WHEN

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

square and nintendo are friendly enough and the switch is successful enough that we really should get a true sequel. let sakurai direct it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

The MSQ for patches 5.5 and 5.55 felt a bit light overall. The main conflict with the Telophoroi in particular felt like it treaded ground a bit? None of the attacks we repealed were made to sound very threatening, more like “here, the conflict of the patch, here to be resolved within 10 quests”.

I’m also a bit curious about why they felt the need to name an organisation whose only member is Fandaniel. We never really see anyone serve under him, just a variety of machines and tempered thralls, so why use the name Telophoroi if there’s only Telophoros? I kinda wanted to know who was working with Fandaniel and their motivations, besides Zenos, whose own goal is largely separate.

The duty was cool, but felt a bit too short? At least take this opportunity to let me play as all the Scions, since you contrived a convenient scenario where they can fight primals (this whole tempering deal was always going to be an annoying limitation to the trust system, so it’s good they made away with it). As it is, it’s just helped my feeling that this whole conflict is a bit half assed.

Alphinaud’s death flags did end up almost killing Arenvald, but I’ll take an almost. It feels like both him and Fordola are being set up for a larger role during Endwalker, so that’s good.

The highlight of the patch ended up being the resolution to the Tiamat story and the small lore tidbits on Meracydia during the 3rd Astral era. Bahamut serving as mediator between the mortal countries there helps explain how he was in a position to be summoned as a primal too. I wonder if there’s still mortal worshippers of him left, or just the near immortal dragons.

Sharlayan is hinted at having its own plots in the shadow, and that ended up interesting me more than the Garlemald side of the story.

I was going to make a big prediction about meeting Venat during the Endwalker story, and instead they pre-empted me by teasing us with an apparent avatar of Hydaelin with an Ancient mask around her neck, so much for that

In the end, I’m starting EW with some doubts about whether this main conflict they’ve set up can hold my attention for a whole expansion story, but judging from the general reactions during its release, they’re going to throw a lot of curveballs my way

Also, the Werlyt raids: very cool story, music and visuals, the zenith of animeness of this anime game, but I spent all of it wishing I could have a big discussion with Gaius on how he now thinks his empire should act. As the Shadowhunter, he was still holding on to an ideal of the imperial project as an expansionist and extractive adventure against its neighbours, just temporarily led astray by the Ascians. And he never really reflected on that in Werlyt, he mostly just opposed worse imperials. I really wish the WoL or Valdeaulin could have pressed him about the reason the empire keeps promoting those kind of people in positions of power, and the game never really went there, but just skirted around the idea that he gets it now