Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Thanks! I think it would definitely make a cool vanlife conversion platform, but looking at it from a more legit business perspective, nothing on that page inspires me compared to the info on the ford transit.

Maybe it’s the significant price gap between the lightning and the R1T that makes me worry that rivian is gonna throw out a bunch of tech catchphrases and try to sell a truck at 15k higher cost than the transit.

Matching energy consumption with renewable credits is nice and all, but hitting that $48k price comparison is gonna be what matters at the end of the day.

The Transit EV is a decent platform, just needs 2x the batteries. I don't think that this is something you can retrofit.

Something like this in a Transit EV would be a cool platform:

However my RV friend says that 22' is the limit for tent camping spaces in national parks and suggested I keep it at 21'.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

The Transit EV is a decent platform, just needs 2x the batteries. I don't think that this is something you can retrofit.

Something like this in a Transit EV would be a cool platform:

However my RV friend says that 22' is the limit for tent camping spaces in national parks and suggested I keep it at 21'.

I would think the need/benefit of high amp power service would put you in an RV spot anyways.

Not strictly an EV, but i'm surprised nobody has made an lithium-ion webasto for semi truck sleeper climate control. a 5-10kwh pack could easily be charged in a work day and keep the bunk heated/cooled overnight without the need for idling or a diesel powered APU.

There are units designed for deep cycle batteries, but they suck so loving bad.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 17, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You could build a sweet fire pit inside, don't eat too much fried chicken though. 1

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The R1T is cheaper than the lightning when you configure the lightning with a bigger battery.
$73,500 for the Dual-Motor AWD R1T, $74,000 for the Lightning. The lightning also doesn't come with heated/cooled seats, non-air ride suspension, fewer HORSEPOWERS, and a cloth interior instead of a leather interior with heated/cooled seats.

Edit:

The closest I could come up with to a Lightning: R1T comparison is the Lariat edition, which comes in at $80,000 before options.

I’m not gonna dogpile you since I know you work there and care about the product you help make. I’m pretty pro rivian myself minus the recent price snafu which was a pretty bad unforced error.

The point I was driving at was that at the moment rivian is a luxury level EV mfg, and fleet vehicles are basically the exact opposite of that.

Ford has lead the pack on pickups forever, and while their cargo van supremacy has bounced back and forth a bit over the last 20 years, they’ve really done a good job course correcting with the Transit(ice) to get themselves back in good graces with both big fleets and mom and pops.

It’s just a very different market if you really want to push commercial sales beyond a few special interest buyers. I want a lightning/transit for legit work, and I want to buy it as cheap as loving possible and don’t need any options whatsoever. It just needs to get me to the next jobsite, carry tools, be able to upfit a pipe-rack, and not cost me a fortune in repairs(mother loving freightliners).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elviscat posted:

A dealer near me just sold a brand new bright red Mach E for $43,000, a pre-order that someone refused, I didn't call them quick enough :(

You sure? That's cheaper than a base select model.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, they resold a 2021 base select for MSRP, it was like 43,750. Guess someone canceled their pre-order and the dealership slapped an MSRP sticker on it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone have opinions on the Mach-E vs Bolt?

Same dealer that was selling the one I mentioned said they'll order me one and sell it for MSRP, which puts a base Select with the comfort package at about the cost of a Bolt 2LT when you factor in the tax rebate that Ford still has.

AFAICT

+Bolt
-very slightly longer range
-Smaller (+ or - depending on how you look at it)

+Mach E
-Roomier/more practical
-ACC and other convenience stuff
-quicker
-faster DCFC
-better interior
-could reasonably tow a trailer with my dirt bikes and stuff
-less ugly

Anyone want to add to either list?

I think I might switch over to the Mach E, if they can promise delivery in a sane mount of time. I think they're insane to offer me one at MSRP considering used ones are selling at $5,000 over MSRP, without the tax rebate, but whatever.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Audi A6 EV in first exterior review.

Avant model also coming :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZeybx-re7g

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

Anyone want to add to either list?

The whole catching on fire thing if you don't know if the bolt has its pack replaced? :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad_fmr posted:

not to America it’s not :smith: (not yet)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That electric avant sure has big exhaust pipes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bad_fmr posted:

Holy moly. A nice detail I like, dual charge ports in the rear, with the fast one (I presume the other is AC only) on the driver's side, which is the correct side.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

That electric avant sure has big exhaust pipes.

The wheels are way too big and the panel to glass ratio on the sides makes the Range Rover Evoque look reasonable. You're going to need to put adult passengers on booster cushions if they want to see out of the rear windows.

At least it's an actual car, rather than VW's "here's a cool concept due in 2020 2022 2024 probably before 2030 but have you seen our new van" or Skoda's "obviously we'll make an electric Octavia, no don't ask us when or any details".

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bad_fmr posted:

Illuminated front emblem from the factory I see. Lots of Audi owners in North America will appreciate this since they all do this aftermarket install any way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
FUUUUCK I WANT THAT WAGON

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

FUUUUCK I WANT THAT WAGON

that is a loving ugly rear end car

loving 24" wheels or whatever and 4" of glass

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’d change the wheels on it, yeah

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Make ‘em bigger. Put a lift on it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Powershift posted:

I would think the need/benefit of high amp power service would put you in an RV spot anyways.

Not strictly an EV, but i'm surprised nobody has made an lithium-ion webasto for semi truck sleeper climate control. a 5-10kwh pack could easily be charged in a work day and keep the bunk heated/cooled overnight without the need for idling or a diesel powered APU.

There are units designed for deep cycle batteries, but they suck so loving bad.

These people came up with a rather clever solution for converting an existing limited range electric van into a camper. They added batteries and solar and used these to change the propulsion batteries. An International E-STAR.

https://www.routedelsol.com

quote:

In addition to the 80KWH (LiFe) battery pack that is stock on the International E-STAR, we've added a secondary battery pack at 40KWH (LiCo).

This is to suit the solar array installed on the roof, this will extend the range of the van considerably from 100 miles to an ideal 200 mile range (terrain dependent).

The stock battery pack is charged by a Level 2 on board "azure dynamics" charger that can be charged using any 240 V, EV charging station.

At 50amps the vehicle takes 8-10 hours to charge - the standard for a lot of EVs.

Our secondary battery pack is fed by two charge controllers connected to the solar array on the roof. The energy is then transferred through an inverter from one pack to another, essentially charging ourselves.

Oh the E-Stars? The last vans were produced in late 2012 as 2013 models. So they probabily got a deal on a used one.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/09/abandoned-history-the-navistar-estar-a-very-troubled-electric-van/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
EPA numbers for the Lightning (with Rivian for comparison):

Kwh/100 Miles:

R1T: 48
Lightning Standard: 49
Lightning Platinum: 51

Combined:

R1T: 70 MPGe
Lightning Standard: 68
Lightning Platinum:66

City:

R1T: 74 MPGe
Lightning Standard: 76
Lightning Platinum: 73

Highway:

R1T: 66
Lightning Standard: 61
Lightning Platinum:60

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 17, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I find it hard to believe the Lightning can be more efficient than the R1T considering its larger frontal area.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I find it hard to believe the Lightning can be more efficient than the R1T considering its larger frontal area.

It's only more efficient in the city, which makes sense - lower speeds mean fewer losses due to drag.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The lightning's target weight is 6500lbs for the standard range and 6700lbs on the extended range based on an 8,500lb gvwr. That's 448-648lbs lighter than the Rivian, which makes a difference in the city rating.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least its a wagon instead of CUV so all is forgiven. The wheels are ridiculous I agree.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not Musk chat!
What does this mean?
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1503888110899376138?s=21

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wasn't this in response to BMW saying they'll have full level 3 self driving by mid 2025 and Musk was basically lol sure good luck with that.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

mattfl posted:

Wasn't this in response to BMW saying they'll have full level 3 self driving by mid 2025 and Musk was basically lol sure good luck with that.

If its really that hard to make FSD work I'm glad I didn't waste $10,000 on it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mattfl posted:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

L3 is just “under ideal conditions the car can mostly operate itself but may require the driver to intervene” and Mercedes’ already has it, it’s just that the ideal conditions are very narrow in scope. There’s no reason BMW couldn’t get there as well. Tesla is attempting to leapfrog L3 and L4 and go straight to generalized autonomy in arbitrary conditions which is never going to happen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mattfl posted:

Right, but what does the tweet literally mean?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charles posted:

Right, but what does the tweet literally mean?

It means that he believes that the only way to solve vehicle autonomy is to put a GPU in the car, run a hardware accelerated NN model on that GPU, and teach that a neural Net to drive on a massive training cluster using massive amounts of data gleaned from real world driving.

Basically only Tesla is doing it right despite them having 0 success at anything beyond L2. He thinks neural nets are human brains and you just need enough experience and computing power to simulate a human driver.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It means that he believes that the only way to solve vehicle autonomy is to put a GPU in the car, run a hardware accelerated NN model on that GPU, and teach that a neural Net to drive on a massive training cluster using massive amounts of data gleaned from real world driving.

Basically only Tesla is doing it right despite them having 0 success at anything beyond L2. He thinks neural nets are human brains and you just need enough experience and computing power to simulate a human driver.

Does that mean the older models would need a hardware upgrade, too? Did they have powerful enough GPUs?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

Does that mean the older models would need a hardware upgrade, too? Did they have powerful enough GPUs?

There’s a couple different hardware configurations with Tesla, with only HW3 presently capable of the full software stack as it exists/is promised right now. I’m 99% sure that there is going to be at least one more major hardware bump required in the near term, but there’s not even rumor of what this is yet, or what features will be gated to it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Charles posted:

Nobody knows because the sort of generalized NN capable that he’s talking about that is capable of performing very complex tasks and maintaining enough stateful information about the environment to drive at least as well as an attentive human is a complete pipe dream.

This is all build on the fundamental flawed premise that neural nets are basically brains (they aren’t), cameras are basically eyes (they aren’t), and all humans use to drive a car is their brains and eyes (we have other important senses).

But yes, expect them to keep throwing ever more powerful GPUs into the cars to keep the treadmill going.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guess who put in a deposit on a EV6 and might be getting it tomorrow?

Trying to sell my car now and honestly this whole carvana thing is freaking me out. They offered me close to 4K over the dealer (which, to be fair, was a lowball number) but they haven’t asked for anything other than proof of ownership. Now I can just schedule someone to pick up the car, do a quick inspection, and get paid? Seriously? This isn’t somehow going to bite me in the rear end? Is this just pissing away venture capital money? Carmax offered me 2.5k over dealer and it’s local so I can always fall back on that if carvana doesn’t work out.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He might be right that with enough data you can simulate a human driver, but the caveat there is that human drivers are awful at making decisions. I wouldn't trust my life to a system only as good as I am at driving.

I do however trust Tesla's system not to ram my car into oncoming traffic or the car ahead of me, which even now seems like an unsafe bet. Laziness wins v prudence once again. It's incredibly nice to be able to relax on longer drives and just look out for hazards instead of paying so much attention to lane position. Even if we never get anything approaching full autonomy I'll never buy a car without ACC and lanekeeping again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Loucks posted:

I wouldn't trust my life to a system only as good as I am at driving.

I do however trust Tesla's system not to ram my car into oncoming traffic or the car ahead of me, which even now seems like an unsafe bet. Laziness wins v prudence once again.

loving yikes.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’ve had FSD beta for several months and I’ve died like, 20 times.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

I’ve had FSD beta for several months and I’ve died like, 20 times.

Try finger, but hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
the other portion of that tweet is ASICs, which tend to be good at specialized computations. I know as far as crypto mining you can get a lot more computing power out of an ASIC setup vs a GPU setup.