Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deteriorata posted:

In combat news, https://t.me/ukrpravda_news/10770

Google Translation: People's Deputy Oleksiy Honcharenko stated that Ukrainian fighters liberated the village of Posad-Pokrovske in the Kherson region from the Russian occupiers

So it looks like Ukrainian forces are pushing back from Mykolaiv back towards Kherson.
I'd be interested if they pushed from Mykolaiv or just went around Russian forces east of Mykolaiv and cut them off.

Nenonen posted:

There's a now retired Finnish officer Pekka Majuri, whose name means major. When I was in the army I recall he was still just a captain (kapteeni Majuri), then he became a major (majuri Majuri) and by the time he retired from active duty he was a colonel (eversti Majuri). Not confusing at all.
Wasn't this a joke on M.A.S.H. or something? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

the popes toes posted:

Some Belt and Road recipients have started to perceive an extractive rent trap into which they have been duped, so I'm not sure. What may happen, is a strengthened EU offering other financial incentives leading to economic participation. Or they may go back to protecting butter and bacon, I dunno. Full disclosure: I'm hoping for a muscular confident EU that can project influence beyond their immediate borders.

I'm largely in favor of a stronger EU, but the EU raising tensions with China by getting into influence competitions over Central Asia would be, uh, interesting, and I'm not sure where that would end up going, or if it'll go somewhere good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

.Z. posted:

It gets worse, this POS is in Poland.

I still don’t understand what this has to do with Ukraine v Russia?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Central Asia is more likely to re-align with China. Honestly the Belt and Road Iniative is a brilliant diplomatic tool and "alliance" for them, and if the West was half as smart as the dipshits in charge think they are they would offer something similar, instead of hoarding huge piles of money like fantasy dragons.

Belt and Road is a just a glorified debt trap and anyone remotely familiar with china knows china only does things for china.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

I'd be interested if they pushed from Mykolaiv or just went around Russian forces east of Mykolaiv and cut them off.

I don't remember that, but there is a story that in WW2 the US created the temporary "General of the Army" rank because if they followed the lead of the other Allies they'd have a Marshal Marshall.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ynglaur posted:

Character in the book Catch-22.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Boris Galerkin posted:

Then read the loving post. He's trying to traffic Ukrainian children to the US

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

PederP posted:

Ukrainian officials stating they will not budge on 1991 borders. Depending on what happens in the coming weeks and months, Putin may end this war holding less territory than before the invasion. I don't think UAF is going to roll into Sevastopol any time soon, but if the Russian military collapses then Crimea might be up for UN peacekeepers and a (second) referendum. I don't think Russia will be able to (or want to) hold on to Donbass after this.

This part interests me the most: either Ukraine are horribly overconfident that the Russians are spent and they have the upper hand in a stalemated war that could swing either way, or Ukraine has enough data to indicate the Russians are effectively losing the war and the economic conditions mean Ukraine feels it can actually just reclaim its territory with the force it has.

Seems EXTREMELY optimistic to me, but if the Ukranians really are that confident they probably aren't budging on territory concessions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Central Asia is more likely to re-align with China. Honestly the Belt and Road Iniative is a brilliant diplomatic tool and "alliance" for them, and if the West was half as smart as the dipshits in charge think they are they would offer something similar, instead of hoarding huge piles of money like fantasy dragons.

Any state even remotely interested in joining had a nice show of their potential future in Montenegro, which is soon going to be eaten by China repo mans.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TulliusCicero posted:

This part interests me the most: either Ukraine are horribly overconfident that the Russians are spent and they have the upper hand in a stalemated war that could swing either way, or Ukraine has enough data to indicate the Russians are effectively losing the war and the economic conditions mean Ukraine feels it can actually just reclaim its territory with the force it has.

Seems EXTREMELY optimistic to me, but if the Ukranians really are that confident they probably aren't budging on territory concessions.

From what I've read, everyone who has dealt with Putin finds that he only respects the people who fight back. I can totally see how that might affect how you negotiate with him versus negotiating with someone more grounded in concrete socioeconomic concerns.

Plus, if you don't think his representatives are really speaking for him, then why undercut your own position?

It's a horrible situation to be in, but there's a horrible person on the other side.

Despera posted:

Belt and Road is a just a glorified debt trap and anyone remotely familiar with china knows china only does things for china.

But President Xi, my people yearn for freedom.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huge refugee crisis which is providing easy access to undocumented children?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Despera posted:

True, but then loving offer something that genuinely works as a counter-balance

That way developing countries can pick something besides "Modernize but owe us everything" or "FYGM"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm trying to dig through this is thread and I swear I saw it earlier - wasn't there an article or link to some twitter post that describe why Putin invaded Ukraine from primary an economic perspective? It was quite in-depth and went into stuff like the EU Carbon Tax, etc.

They found a massive reserve of natural gas underneath Crimea and were just beginning drilling operations when it was seized by Russia. Russia's outward flow of natural gas to the rest of Europe was the linchpin in how they were able to get away with as much as they have and if Ukraine were allowed to continue it would have seriously harmed their leverage.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

True, but then loving offer something that genuinely works as a counter-balance

That way developing countries can pick something besides "Modernize but owe us everything" or "FYGM"

I think there are options outside of go gently caress yourself and give us a 99 year lease. Also just defaulting and telling china to shove it works well too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tomn posted:

I'm largely in favor of a stronger EU, but the EU raising tensions with China by getting into influence competitions over Central Asia would be, uh, interesting, and I'm not sure where that would end up going, or if it'll go somewhere good.
I feel like it'd make infinitely more sense to make friends across the Mediterranean, instead of pushing past Russia against China. Like, outside the EU occupying Russia and eventually making it a member state, Central Asian ambitions make no sense at all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Is this corroborated by other sources?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

PIZZA.BAT posted:

They found a massive reserve of natural gas underneath Crimea and were just beginning drilling operations when it was seized by Russia. Russia's outward flow of natural gas to the rest of Europe was the linchpin in how they were able to get away with as much as they have and if Ukraine were allowed to continue it would have seriously harmed their leverage.

And if I recall correctly they then found massive fossil fuel reserves under western Ukraine which American companies were just starting to look into drilling when this happened. That doesn't mean this war isn't Putin trying to play out his empire ambitions, but things can have more than one cause.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Despera posted:

I think there are options outside of go gently caress yourself and give us a 99 year lease. Also just defaulting and telling china to shove it works well too.

That's an interesting point: can China really enforce its debt collection on states outside its orbit? I don't see China committing nor having the resources to commit to invading Central Africa or something.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Killer robot posted:

I don't remember that, but there is a story that in WW2 the US created the temporary "General of the Army" rank because if they followed the lead of the other Allies they'd have a Marshal Marshall.

So wait: if there's a Lieutenant General, and a Captain General, and a Major General, and a Colonel General... holy poo poo, there must be a General General. Imagine how powerful that dude would be!

Nenonen posted:

Yes.

https://thediplomat.com/2022/03/uzbek-foreign-minister-calls-for-halting-of-hostilities-in-ukraine/
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-03-17/russia-ally-uzbekistan-calls-for-swift-halt-to-ukraine-conflict
https://eurasianet.org/uzbekistan-calls-for-an-end-to-aggression-in-ukraine

William Bear fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 17, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

My primary source is that this makes a lot of sense and significantly boosts Ukraine's chances in the war.

That's not what the word source generally refers to.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Allegedly, Russia has taken control of the Ukrainian town of Izyum, south of Kharkiv.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1504522422258737154

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

There are probably not a lot of Russian forces east of Mykolaiv. They did one large push north bypassing the city, and then the lead elements got their teeth kicked in at Voznesensk. After that it's been really unclear just what remains near Mykolaiv. Two days ago, there started being a lot of videos released of entirely intact equipment abandoned near there, including multiple artillery positions that had guns and ammo and just nothing else. It's possible they all fell back to a more defensive line near Kherson. The massive red shaded area in most maps is probably just how everywhere where a Russian soldier steps stays red in most maps until Ukrainians report recapturing it.

TulliusCicero posted:

Option 3, this is all just bad reporting on how no member of the Ukrainian government is actually constitutionally capable of conceding territory. Reportedly, Zelensky asked for a Russian withdrawal to positions of 23rd of February. This isn't demanding Crimea back, it's just refusing to concede it. To actually do the concession while following the constitution of Ukraine, they'd have to hold a referendum in all of Ukraine, and for that they need peace first.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TulliusCicero posted:

That's an interesting point: can China really enforce it's debt collection on states outside its orbit? I don't see China committing nor having the resources to commit to invading Central Africa or something.

no, it can't. there was all sorts of stuff about how china could take uganda's only international airport if they default. but, uh, ok? it's in uganda. them having ownership of it is totally meaningless, they can't actually shut it down. i think the downsides of belt and road are kind of exaggerated. if you are getting a bunch of infrastructure built for you that you otherwise couldn't, that's a net plus even if you default

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

That's an interesting point: can China really enforce it's debt collection on states outside its orbit? I don't see China committing nor having the resources to commit to invading Central Africa or something.

Concerned Citizen posted:

no, it can't. there was all sorts of stuff about how china could take uganda's only international airport if they default. but, uh, ok? it's in uganda. them having ownership of it is totally meaningless, they can't actually shut it down. i think the downsides of belt and road are kind of exaggerated. if you are getting a bunch of infrastructure built for you that you otherwise couldn't, that's a net plus even if you default

The usual financial effects of government debt default would make it incredibly hard for the governments of many developing countries to operate. If you don't show that you can service your debt, you don't get new funds to keep governing and that turns into local instability and potential upheavals. I don't think China needs to go extracting repayments by military force to make its point if someone can't pay up.

If you're a politician in power who wants to stay in power, you do need to be careful about debt loads.

That being said, it sounds like the whole "debt trap" angle is somewhat overblown: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/02/china-debt-trap-diplomacy/617953/

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Regarding Izium:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1504531396748058629

Control of that town seems to be a revolving door.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/russia-ally-uzbekistan-calls-swift-halt-ukraine-conflict-2022-03-17/

quote:

TASHKENT, March 17 (Reuters) - Uzbekistan, a Central Asian republic with close ties to Russia, called on Thursday for a diplomatic resolution of the conflict in Ukraine and said it would not recognise Moscow-backed separatist statelets there.

In the strongest anti-war statement to come from Russia's former Soviet allies so far, Uzbek Foreign Minister Abdulaziz Kamilov told parliament that while Tashkent wanted to maintain good relations with both Moscow and Kyiv, it opposed the war.

"First, Uzbekistan is seriously concerned by the situation around Ukraine," he said.

"Second, we are the proponents of finding a peaceful solution to this situation and resolving the conflict through political and diplomatic means. But in order to do that, first of all, hostilities and violence must stop immediately."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

PederP posted:

Regarding Izium:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1504531396748058629

Control of that town seems to be a revolving door.

Something very unsavory about using the term "liquidated" for anything outside investments.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Eric Cantonese posted:

That being said, it sounds like the whole "debt trap" angle is somewhat overblown: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/02/china-debt-trap-diplomacy/617953/

It is very much overblown, this is not the thread for it though so I won't say much else.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, there was a vid of their government saying so. Saw it, but can't find it now.

e: https://twitter.com/TUmarov/status/1504373168575766533

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Ukraine wasn't even remotely an economic threat to Russia in itself, even if they were to develop both reservoirs. If I'm thinking of the same article that they meant, it was about the slated sunsetting of fossil fuels first and foremost.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SlowBloke posted:

Any state even remotely interested in joining had a nice show of their potential future in Montenegro, which is soon going to be eaten by China repo mans.
I'd read about this a while back, but looking at it again, holy poo poo those terms. (Can't pay back the debt? Then we can just take ownership of chunks of your land instead. Want to take us to court? That would be a Chinese court, suckers.) The politicians who signed the deal must have either been on the take or incredibly naive and stupid.
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/28/1010832606/road-deal-with-china-is-blamed-for-catapulting-montenegro-into-historic-debt

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Eric Cantonese posted:

The usual financial effects of government debt default would make it incredibly hard for the governments of many developing countries to operate. If you don't show that you can service your debt, you don't get new funds to keep governing and that turns into local instability and potential upheavals. I don't think China needs to go extracting repayments by military force to make its point if someone can't pay up.

If you're a politician in power who wants to stay in power, you do need to be careful about debt loads.

right, but the reason why china is coming in the first place is the fact that these countries already lack the ability to secure financing at an affordable rate. defaulting isn't ideal but it also isn't the end of the world. it's a bigger problem for the china, the lender, than it is for the country defaulting

edit: yeah i guess this is off-topic though so whatever

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nice! Uzbekistan along with Turkmenistan are big natural gas producers. Unfortunately for them the pipeline goes through Russia, so they can't really bypass Putin as a preferred trade partner...

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

My primary source is that this makes a lot of sense and significantly boosts Ukraine's chances in the war. A secondary source is Russia Today - to which I can see no reason they would make a claim that is correlated with their defeat in Libya as it makes Russia look less likely to "win" in Ukraine: https://www.rt.com/russia/551149-zelensky-ukraine-foreign-fighters/

Except that it allows RT to smear volunteers as mercenaries (true or not), so no, I don't see RT as a reliable source here.

And there do seem to be a significant number of people coming to Ukraine out of idealism, not because of money.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 17, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

Something very unsavory about using the term "liquidated" for anything outside investments.

Blame 90s Russian media doublespeak when reporting on military issues

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

nerox posted:

Lieutenant Corporal was a rank obtained by only one soldier in the Korean War. Lieutenant Corporal Walter "Radar" O'Reily. However, since Lieutenant Corporal was an officer rank, his enlisted friends no longer liked him and no other officers took him seriously, so he got himself demoted back to Corporal in a few days. When asked about the rank names, an unnamed colonel simply described it as "horse hockey".

I think you'll find he was also a Corporal Captain for fifteen minutes when they needed to visit an O-club in Seoul.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Re Putin trying to grab bodies from Belarus and other satellite countries in Eastern Europe or the Middle East to throw into the meat grinder, how the gently caress is that supposed to work out if the soldiers in your own army who, in theory, have the highest motivation to win your war, are doing a poo poo job of it?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/colonelhomsi/status/1504421601915420675

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Holy poo poo, keep this news away from the people of Ukraine, it would be devastating to their morale!

https://twitter.com/dylanewells/status/1504520138388914187

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Re Putin trying to grab bodies from Belarus and other satellite countries in Eastern Europe or the Middle East to throw into the meat grinder, how the gently caress is that supposed to work out if the soldiers in your own army who, in theory, have the highest motivation to win your war, are doing a poo poo job of it?

It's not supposed to win war. It's supposed to wear down Ukrainians, and buy Russian forces time to work on regrouping and unfucking their supply lines. Primarily the latter.