Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

roomtone posted:

what's an example of someone who is a good actor but bad voice actor?

Matthew McConaghuey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You mainly see it in animated movies where they bring in some A-lister to just be themselves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
all the celebs who were on that show where phoebe was a dog

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Matthew McConaghuey

He was great in Kubo and The Two Strings.

Could have been the direction, though sometimes actors just get more comfortable or training.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah. Yeah, she's faking. The other lady who took over a shift is the gig economy worker who brought her a pizza earlier.

Thank you! I dunno how I missed that but I was baffled lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was great in Kubo and The Two Strings.

Could have been the direction, though sometimes actors just get more comfortable or training.

No that's specifically the one I'm talking about. I thought Charlize Theron did very well, though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I liked him in Kubo, but the converse is Seth McFarlane. Great voice actor, but is really stiff in The Orville. I feel that established actors who voice act are either a name, or just supposed to be themselves essentially. There are a number of times A listers do voices and while not bad are totally forgettable. Johnny Depp in Rango comes to mind, but I don't know if that's the acting or the movie.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

swickles posted:

I liked him in Kubo, but the converse is Seth McFarlane. Great voice actor, but is really stiff in The Orville. I feel that established actors who voice act are either a name, or just supposed to be themselves essentially. There are a number of times A listers do voices and while not bad are totally forgettable. Johnny Depp in Rango comes to mind, but I don't know if that's the acting or the movie.

Seth's SNL episode is one of my all time favorites.
Live action he is kind of eh though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZ52mG1yIo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that reminds me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BrwKUDMd8s

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With all this Daylight Savings time chat, I was reminded how Jonah Ryan took a brave stand years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHsd-EU_KKI

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a few episodes into the Amazon show Reacher and I like it so far because its kinda campy if that's the right word. Like this is intentional right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I'm a few episodes into the Amazon show Reacher and I like it so far because its kinda campy if that's the right word. Like this is intentional right?

I wouldn't have described it that way personally, but I'm interested that you have. What makes you think of it as camp, specific performances or line readings or...?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't have described it that way personally, but I'm interested that you have. What makes you think of it as camp, specific performances or line readings or...?

I’m not sure if campy is even the right word but it’s the comedy that’s just thrown in there mostly by the way the main actor reacts to things.

I can’t tell if he’s a good actor or not either. I don’t know how the source material reads or if this is how the main character in the books acts as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not sure if campy is even the right word but it’s the comedy that’s just thrown in there mostly by the way the main actor reacts to things.

I can’t tell if he’s a good actor or not either. I don’t know how the source material reads or if this is how the main character in the books acts as well.

So you're wondering if the wryness in the performance is deliberate? Yeah, I'd say so.

I do think there's something slightly comical about someone with Reacher's extreme confidence and bulk being basically a homeless drifter and uber nerd. He's basically a Harlequin novel heartthrob whose somehow wandered into an airport novel, and the show presents this very uncomplicatedly. But I suspect that's a significant appeal to the source material, and something they were keen to preserve in this adaptation.

If you want to talk poor performances though, Marc Bendavid (the accountant dude) seems to have got lost on the way to a (bad) Tennessee Williams play.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
also Malcolm Goodwin as Oscar is doing a bad Cuba Gooding Jr all the time

e: man I hosed this post up so bad I'm just gonna leave before it gets worse :v:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 17, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1504125347020914689

More copaganda from David Simon :rolleyes:

(Seriously that cast is stacked to the moon, I love Jamie Hector as a BPD officer in this)

Holy poo poo that cast
YT link: https://youtu.be/9tOz3dn3vuU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i think i will watch that.

someone just posted in the wire thread that police being on the take was one thing that the show missed and it looks like this is designed to just be about that. which is either good, or means it's just a self-correction exercise, but the trailer and cast is promising.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

someone just posted in the wire thread that police being on the take was one thing that the show missed and it looks like this is designed to just be about that. which is either good, or means it's just a self-correction exercise, but the trailer and cast is promising.

In fairness the wire followed a bunch of detectives in an investigative unit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Does David Simon actually have anything to do with that? I can't find anything other than an EP credit.

Edit: Okay, he's writing too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

roomtone posted:

yeah i think i will watch that.

Isn't there a scene where Herc and Carver find a shitload of money and look at each other and then start taking some of it? (Not that literal dirty cops were a major topic, more dirty systems)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, i remembered something like that when i saw the criticism, but i couldn't remember - now that you've said that, it is literally just the two of them in the spur of the moment decide to pilfer some of the drug money they've found in a stashouse or somewhere. i don't think the wire really goes into that kind of petty corruption outside of that one incident, though.

it wasn't my criticism, i just thought it was interesting to learn it was one people have made since this show seems to be completely focused on it in the same setting, made by some of the same people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Didn't Cedric Daniels also do dirty stuff like that in the past. Though they never explicitly show it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon completed their acquisition of MGM.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/03/amazon-completes-mgm-merger-will-add-studios-films-and-tv-to-prime-video/

I wonder how long till they reboot Stargate.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Fringe watch update, my wife and I finished season 1 and watched the first episode of season 2 last night. Holy poo poo this show keeps getting better. Can't believe they cast LEONARD NIMOY!!??? as William Bell. I have no issue at all imagining him and John Noble doing an absolute truckload of hallucinogenic drugs in the 70s...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I wonder how long till they reboot Stargate.

I know that Emmerich talked about having a trilogy in mind not too long ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they greenlight that. Bring back Kurt, imo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That'll never happen. The creators of SG1 already have a new series planned and they were waiting for this to happen.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1503732875715178500

That's a pretty significant change to her power set

I'm a few pages behind but I kept reading Ms. Marvel as Mrs. Maisel and I was super confused that that show had apparently become fantasy since I stopped watching it...

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

boquiabierta posted:

I'm a few pages behind but I kept reading Ms. Marvel as Mrs. Maisel and I was super confused that that show had apparently become fantasy since I stopped watching it...

Ms Maizel is a prequel to The Boys actually

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I know that Emmerich talked about having a trilogy in mind not too long ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they greenlight that. Bring back Kurt, imo.

Maybe it's because I saw the show first and have watched so much more of it, but the movie always felt like Off Brand Stargate to me. Also just weird Snake Plissken is supposed to be Jack.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same but opposite. I remember starting to watch the show and realizing partway through "Wait, that's supposed to be the same guy as in the movie??"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

External Organs posted:

Fringe watch update, my wife and I finished season 1 and watched the first episode of season 2 last night. Holy poo poo this show keeps getting better. Can't believe they cast LEONARD NIMOY!!??? as William Bell. I have no issue at all imagining him and John Noble doing an absolute truckload of hallucinogenic drugs in the 70s...

Fringe is so good, and it only gets better from now on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I might have to watch Fringe again. If only so I can sort out in my brain which has John Noble in fringe mixed in with him in Sleepy Hollow.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I might have to watch Fringe again. If only so I can sort out in my brain which has John Noble in fringe mixed in with him in Sleepy Hollow.

There's a cow!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfLnPS-Le4A

it's hard to pick a favorite but Aspirin is up there

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i gave fringe a try but the first few episodes really didn't grab me. i know it's supposed to get better, but i didn't like any of the characters and the famous john noble wasn't doing much for me either.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope this wild show gets a third season, especially after we got some answers and things are starting to come together.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

roomtone posted:

i gave fringe a try but the first few episodes really didn't grab me. i know it's supposed to get better, but i didn't like any of the characters and the famous john noble wasn't doing much for me either.

Like I said we only just started season 2 but it definitely straddles the line of old school "made to be syndicated" police procedural with modern serialized stuff, so the plot moves slower (it also has a glorious 20+ episodes per season, but that also means it's gonna have some filler). It may change later on, though. Season one is very much NCIS: Science-Fiction.

I personally get burnt out on modern prestige shows so it's a nice break, and now that the Plot is going bonkers I'm super into it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-uyTbsWJw
This looks like it could be good and good lord that cast but what is the deal with actors recently and absolutely ridiculous prosthetics?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

External Organs posted:

Like I said we only just started season 2 but it definitely straddles the line of old school "made to be syndicated" police procedural with modern serialized stuff, so the plot moves slower (it also has a glorious 20+ episodes per season, but that also means it's gonna have some filler). It may change later on, though. Season one is very much NCIS: Science-Fiction.

I personally get burnt out on modern prestige shows so it's a nice break, and now that the Plot is going bonkers I'm super into it.

It does the PoI thing where every fourth filler episode has a very important three minute scene critical to the serialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-uyTbsWJw
This looks like it could be good and good lord that cast but what is the deal with actors recently and absolutely ridiculous prosthetics?

Shea Wigham AND Chris Bauer? Say no more.

And yeah I had no idea that was Sean Penn