Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Vigilantes is still good but the further we get from the chapter that was literally titled Conclusion the funnier it gets to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

... Koichi and Six didn't play as kids. It is literally symbolism.

HellCopter posted:

It is a metaphor

Ah, really? My bad then. I had a thought it might be one, but Koichi had a line where he was all 'this feels familiar, somehow' that made me think it wasn't.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012965
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-347/chapter/24144?action=read

Main series: I did not expect a satisfying explanation for duplihands, and I'm still disappointed. Also, Deku needs to flick his fingers at Toga and move on.

Vigilantes: It never loving ends.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Couldn't she not rewind deku because he was just breaking his bones so fast she was just rewinding that damage and he'd rebreak them before she could rewind him much further?

That's what the story goes with but unless it works like Ctrl Z that explanation doesn't actually make much sense. It's some weird time travel you just rewind him back X timeframe ago. She also rewound Overhaul and all she did was split him, a few minutes of rewind at best, while her power was wilding out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
MHA: Shigaraki's "I know that this looks like a quirk, behaves like quirk and works on the same principle as multiple quirks we have already seen, but it's actually not a quirk so you can't neutralize it!" is so incredibly lame. At least Mirko is still in the fight, complete with an artificial limb dispenser. On the other hand, the Toga situation is interesting, because I am not entirely sure where the series wants to land with her, and it will give us a guess about how it will eventually handle Shigaraki. Also, she managed to confess to Deku, both before Uraraka and in front of Uraraka, which is kinda hilarious. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

It's really good here, don't give a poo poo if it was in Chainsawman or if it was better there

No, you can't use a theme, idea or setting if someone else has already done it before, that's art theft.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lt. Lizard posted:

MHA: Shigaraki's "I know that this looks like a quirk, behaves like quirk and works on the same principle as multiple quirks we have already seen, but it's actually not a quirk so you can't neutralize it!" is so incredibly lame. At least Mirko is still in the fight, complete with an artificial limb dispenser. On the other hand, the Toga situation is interesting, because I am not entirely sure where the series wants to land with her, and it will give us a guess about how it will eventually handle Shigaraki. Also, she managed to confess to Deku, both before Uraraka and in front of Uraraka, which is kinda hilarious. :v:

lmao if you can't just naturally grow five million hands at will

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

RareAcumen posted:

What do you mean massive enough to destroy the planet? It's gravity so dense that light can't outrun it, a black hole the size of a golf ball could probably eat the planet within half an hour if it's self perpetuating and Thirteen doesn't shut it off or something. It's not like it's a meteor and it needs to be a certain size to be a threat.

A black hole with a Schwarzschild radius of 0.84 inches, the minimum radius of an official golf ball, would have more than twice the mass of Earth. I really doubt Thirteen can make one anywhere near that big. And if it's too small (like micro black holes that, according to some theories, might be created in particle accelerators), it will lose more mass from Hawking radiation than it draws into it, and won't be self-perpetuating. So it does need to be a certain size to be a threat.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Thirteen is a vacuum cleaner who just gave her quirk a cool name.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Lizard posted:

MHA Hey, we've already established in the Stars and Stripes fight that the real most powerful part of All For One isn't absorbing quirks or combining them, it's the ability to pedantically rules lawyer how quirks work or don't work like someone arguing with a tabletop D&D DM.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

lmao if you can't just naturally grow five million hands at will

Shiggy could've used them for gaming if he still had any kind of personality :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

Shiggy could've used them for gaming if he still had any kind of personality :(

That's how Deku is going to stop him.

Japan can't release the new Dragon Quest until it's out of this chaos. Knowing that will break Shiggy free of AfO's control in sheer rage.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
the line about shigaraki's hair growing made me wonder if his hair changing at the end of the liberation battle arc was supposed to imply that shigaraki is part of the planet destroying generation that the doctor warned about. at the same time it feels silly to speculate on it at this point since it feels like the only reason it came up this last time was so that there was a payoff to point to for that plot thread.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

chiasaur11 posted:

That's how Deku is going to stop him.

Japan can't release the new Dragon Quest until it's out of this chaos. Knowing that will break Shiggy free of AfO's control in sheer rage.

if it's anything like dq11 Shiggy will be right to destroy the world.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Staltran posted:

I always thought that was a quirk thing, though. This is explicitly not
As far as the story has told it, it's not. AM's quirkless and it does not fit the profile of any of OfA's known quirks, and early on AM describes it as "flexing".
It's in the same not-a-quirk-but-still-mutant ballpark as Tokoyami just happening to have a bird head while his actual quirk is Dark Shadow, or for a much more subtle example Bakugou's extra-tough palms that can withstand his own explosions. This is a thing that's been in MHA since the very beginning. There's quirks and there's physical mutations and the latter can happen because of the former without being part of it. That's what the doctor, Shigaraki and AfO refer to when they say the body must adapt to quirks and being the new form of humanity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://ww6.readmha.com/chapter/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-348/

Chapter’s out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deku thinks of himself as being too much of a loser to get a love confession

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sorry Toga, by Shounen Law, girls have to fight girls.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Deku thinks of himself as being too much of a loser to get a love confession

He's right.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Discussion for chapter:

hahaha, I like after all these years, oh deku never change :allears: Is it just me or that blood forming into something.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 17, 2022

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Ah, Ochako will be the one to date Toga after all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Shindragon posted:

Discussion for chapter:

hahaha, I like after all these years, oh deku never change :allears: Is it just me or that blood forming into something.

You mean in that last panel? I think that's the weird floating nomu we saw last chapter.

:lol: this chapter is great. Deku is such a dork.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rhonne posted:

You mean in that last panel? I think that's the weird floating nomu we saw last chapter.

:lol: this chapter is great. Deku is such a dork.

Oh right forgot about the floating nomu.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think there was a point where I liked Toga, but that feeling has since passed.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I think there was a point where I liked Toga, but that feeling has since passed.

She's fine. She and Dabi are the only villains who make any sense at this point tbh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm mainly just bummed that she had a genuine relationship with Twice that was "healthy" and actually felt real affection for him, only for that to be taken away from her.

And instead of her character arc shifting to focus on that during the final battle, it feels like she's still just doubling down on the "I like Deku because... IDK, he was bloody or something one time" thing. Maybe things will loop back around to that now that Deku has rejected her, but I'm not expecting much. Honestly, I would've preferred Deku wasn't even around for the Ochako/Toga confrontation in the first place, but we had to come up with some excuse to not have the Shiggy plan work out immediately. :shrug:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I find toga's whole schtick uh, really stupid and kinda cringey. the part where she has a compulsion to drink blood as part of her quirk is interesting but it's drowned out by the anime stalker girl routine. I hope we get to speed away from this scene with deku and don't have to hang around

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheHan posted:

I find toga's whole schtick uh, really stupid and kinda cringey. the part where she has a compulsion to drink blood as part of her quirk is interesting but it's drowned out by the anime stalker girl routine. I hope we get to speed away from this scene with deku and don't have to hang around

:yeah:

Also, now that other people have mentioned it, Uraraka managed to grab Toga in this very chapter and somehow that wasn't the end of the fight.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

TheHan posted:

:same:

I barely care about Deku and I don't care about Toga.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

I'm mainly just bummed that she had a genuine relationship with Twice that was "healthy" and actually felt real affection for him, only for that to be taken away from her.

The fact that the gub'mint sent an assassin to ingratiate, spy on, and then murder cinnamon roll Twice is probably the single worst thing Hero Society is portrayed as doing, and Toga is the character with the strongest connection to that story. And instead of talking about that, she just wants the cute boy to date her. She's angry he won't let her murder and replace him, or something? That's one way to make the bad guys unsympathetic.

It's a big disappointment.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TheHan posted:

Once it dawned on me that she's just Richard Chase as a little anime girl her character was pretty repulsive.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm glad the manga skipped over chases frequent blood/food poisoning.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheKingslayer posted:

Once it dawned on me that she's just Richard Chase as a little anime girl her character was pretty repulsive.

Oh, god, it's basically true. :gonk:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually, like, "get" why Toga is upset with Deku? I guess I kind of get the Uraraka beef, but she basically showed up to Deku here, went "I love you" and tried to stab him, and Deku went "please don't do that." Like... what? I guess it could be a wonky translation thing but it feels pretty thin.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Arist posted:

I don't actually, like, "get" why Toga is upset with Deku? I guess I kind of get the Uraraka beef, but she basically showed up to Deku here, went "I love you" and tried to stab him, and Deku went "please don't do that." Like... what? I guess it could be a wonky translation thing but it feels pretty thin.

For me, every villain in this series has nonsense motivations. They all seem like maybe they're based (badly) on japan-specific cultural taboos that don't translate well. I feel like the only one who makes any sense is the full-on moustache twirling power lust of AFO.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
toga's motivation is free-spirited hedonism spiraled out to destructive extremes due a combination of social ostracization and no moderating influences. she was developing some depth thanks to her relationship with twice, both in befriending him and mourning him, but right now she's acting exactly the same as she did in her first few chapters

maybe this'll change as the fight goes on, but it feels like all the badguys are being smashed back down to caricatures to get the climax over with as quickly as possible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

The fact that the gub'mint sent an assassin to ingratiate, spy on, and then murder cinnamon roll Twice is probably the single worst thing Hero Society is portrayed as doing, and Toga is the character with the strongest connection to that story. And instead of talking about that, she just wants the cute boy to date her. She's angry he won't let her murder and replace him, or something? That's one way to make the bad guys unsympathetic.

It's a big disappointment.

Twice is literally a mass murderer. Like he is a nice guy to his friends and his backstory is sympathetic but he is not a good person and would have had no issues with helping kill untold numbers of people.

It is sort of weird that people give Twice a pass when everyone else gets correctly held to their flaws. Dude died murdering someone. That doesn't make it okay to murder him but he wasn't a kind sweet baby who wouldn't hurt a fly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 18, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arist posted:

I mean the whole deal is Toga is a person society has pushed down until she snapped in a specific way. She was told for her entire life to deny her own fascination with blood, when it's a literal biological part of her quirk, she's been demonized and mistreated by her parents instead of supported and assisted. Her particular form of break turned her towards a sort of childish form of hedonism, she does what she wants because she wants to and gets upset when people try to "deny" her because that's what broke her in the first place. The whole deal with her liking Izuku is a) she likes blood in general and he showed up half shirtless and bruised and bleeding b) he reminds her of her first crush who she actually snapped on and c) he's just generally cute and sweet. Toga is upset because he's denying her, and what she wants is acceptance (that she never got from her parents).

It's actually tying quite nicely into Twice's whole acceptance deal, where the only people who accept him are the villains so he'll do whatever he can to support them. Spinner too. The main League of Villains are all outcasts from society who've been torn down until they snapped, even Dabi is kind of like that in his own way. It's why I'm pretty sure the end resolution of the story is not kill and imprison the League of Villains with no attempt at understanding them and the reason they turned to villainy. It's basic Marvel supervillain writing even, villains always have a reason to be a monster, except only the most vile (in this case, All for One and the Doctor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem is that if her entire thing is hedonism, the solution really shouldn't be indulging that, especially when that means letting her maim you. Her issues are manifesting themselves violently and the series is framing her failure to connect due to this as a tragedy and it's really off. Yeah, she shouldn't have been demonized for the blood thing, but it feels like a lot of the concessions she's being asked to make are eminently reasonable.