Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, mine is probably my height by now.

But that's not scary. This is scary. https://www.usagundamstore.com/pages/search-results-page?collection=all&filter_tag=dcfleet&page=2

Big, fuckoff huge resin models of Gundam spacecraft. Unpainted. If the MS models are an appropriate size, I might go for some as wargaming models.

Most of them probably aren't fuckoff huge. They're in about the same scale as the White Base EX model, and it's managable. Now, the Revil, that's going to be about as long as a perfect grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1503204683191832578

:shepspends: GAOGAIGAR RG AND GOLDYMARG RG :shepspends:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Holy cow, it transforms.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wonder how big it'll be

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't buy rgs.

I'll make an exception.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I wonder how big it'll be

Well, it's about the same price as the deluxe Evangelion RGs. Considering it's much bulkier than they are, and that the transformation gimmicks will need a lot of extra parts in the design to pull off, even without replacements for visual purposes, I think that's a reasonable cap for the height in early estimates.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Holy poo poo it looks so good

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Jesus those price tags.

Expensive, and all over the place. Did they price them by throwing darts?

:tviv:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Thinking about getting really invested in Gaogaigar for some reason.

Anyway, when I do panel lining Char’s Zaku, should I use black, grey, or brown on all those red parts?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there anywhere you can watch GGG with english subs?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Just :filez: or out of print dvds at this point, I think.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dr Christmas posted:

Thinking about getting really invested in Gaogaigar for some reason.

Anyway, when I do panel lining Char’s Zaku, should I use black, grey, or brown on all those red parts?

Opinions on that vary, I find brown is okay for lighter parts that are closer to pink or salmon, but any medium or dark reds will want black

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm a fan of all brown all the time on red.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Expensive, and all over the place. Did they price them by throwing darts?

They're all in the same scale, but they're nowhere near the same size. The Salamis Kai at "only" 150 bucks is about four and a half inches long, while the bankbreaking General Revil justifies its 650 dollar price tag by being bigger than the Perfect Grade Unicorn.

Looking up the sizes, they generally line up with the price tags.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

They're all in the same scale, but they're nowhere near the same size. The Salamis Kai at "only" 150 bucks is about four and a half inches long, while the bankbreaking General Revil justifies its 650 dollar price tag by being bigger than the Perfect Grade Unicorn.

Looking up the sizes, they generally line up with the price tags.

The GR vs Salamis makes sense, but the Salamis vs Magellan less so.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

The GR vs Salamis makes sense, but the Salamis vs Magellan less so.

The Magellan is about 1.5 times as long as the Salamis, and all around bulkier. It's not as large a gap, but it still explains the price.

Edit: Dalong actually has a side by side of earlier model kits in the same scale. Shows what I mean pretty well.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 15, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chiasaur11 posted:

The Magellan is about 1.5 times as long as the Salamis, and all around bulkier. It's not as large a gap, but it still explains the price.

Edit: Dalong actually has a side by side of earlier model kits in the same scale. Shows what I mean pretty well.

Oh that's a nice page. The panel lining and other details looks excellent for resin, so they aren't overcharging by much if any. The only disappointment is that 1/1700 mobile suits might be too small for wargaming.

If I could get a good supply of GMs and Zakus and such 1-2" tall I'd be at every Bay Area convention with a demo game of Lightning Strike.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mllaneza posted:

Oh that's a nice page. The panel lining and other details looks excellent for resin, so they aren't overcharging by much if any. The only disappointment is that 1/1700 mobile suits might be too small for wargaming.

If I could get a good supply of GMs and Zakus and such 1-2" tall I'd be at every Bay Area convention with a demo game of Lightning Strike.

Converge figures?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
They put out a line of 2-3" figures in the Artifact line (you assemble them like warhams) but I have no idea what target audience they're trying to reach and I haven't seen anything to suggest they're expanding the line. Which is a shame, those are nice little projects for us people who paint a lot of minis.

Edit oh sweet, I was totally wrong. There's a new set coming out in May!
https://www.amazon.com/Shokugan-Gundam-Artifact-Complete-Bandai/dp/B09F23BCL2

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 15, 2022

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Probably the only one here that cares about this line but F it, it's going here anyways:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1503218143908401154

Surprisingly, we're getting more models based off of side material. Wonder if it'll include the Ouryuken.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Balache404 posted:

Probably the only one here that cares about this line but F it, it's going here anyways:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1503218143908401154

Surprisingly, we're getting more models based off of side material. Wonder if it'll include the Ouryuken.

How are the builds on the Digimon kits?
The finished pictures always look cool, but the instructions make me think they'd be a bit unsatisfying at their almost master grade prices.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Finally done my seravee

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Skrillmub posted:

How are the builds on the Digimon kits?
The finished pictures always look cool, but the instructions make me think they'd be a bit unsatisfying at their almost master grade prices.

They're about HG+ I'd say. Your really paying for the subject matter, but it's not as egregious as Super Plamo.

The finished products are really nice, but you need to do some modifications, like separating the claws and such to really be able to take care of the seam lines.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Finally!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
HGs of the Phantom and that new Heavyarms are dropping on p-Bandai tonight for those interested

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MechaX posted:

HGs of the Phantom and that new Heavyarms are dropping on p-Bandai tonight for those interested

Also some reissues.

That said, the Phantom sold out in under 30 seconds. So, you know. Swings and roundabouts.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah... my target was the Astrea only but the Phantom, Efreet, and Riders went out of stock before the minute was even through.

Even if it's obscure, I'm surprised they are not trying for some kind of retail release like the Moon Gundam; show a good picture of it with the flames, some people will still likely scoop it from shelves at a Hobby Lobby or something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's also some new 30MM kits and accessories announced too :eyepop:.

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1504253700709416960

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1504254952562069507

Kinda interesting to get a complete weapon set for once rather than the parts to build an accessorize A Gun. Also of all the guns they could model I'm surprised to see them include what looks to be an XM25 grenade launcher in the bottom-left of the set, going by the box on top of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's also some new 30 Minute Sisters stuff, including a decal sheet. Even if you do have multiple 30MS kits and extra faceplates for each of them, you're gonna have a ton of left over eyes. Maybe you could use them as nosecone art on transforming Gundam kits?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HLJ's got preorders up for the new Bandai announcements!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Got a request, does anyone here have the PG Gundam Exia and a flatbed scanner? I could really use a high resolution (300-600dpi) scan of page 28 of the PG kit's manual for some drawings I'm working on. If you could confirm for me that the side views of the fingers on that page are the same size as the kit parts, that would also be a big help.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Got a request, does anyone here have the PG Gundam Exia and a flatbed scanner? I could really use a high resolution (300-600dpi) scan of page 28 of the PG kit's manual for some drawings I'm working on. If you could confirm for me that the side views of the fingers on that page are the same size as the kit parts, that would also be a big help.

Are Dalong's scans good enough?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Are Dalong's scans good enough?

I've got Dalongs scans, but I'd prefer to work with something higher res and less compressed. I appreciate the thought though!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HLJ's got preorders up for the new Bandai announcements!

There's a Reddit post saying that Bandai has requested all Japanese based retailers stop sales to international customers.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Puddin posted:

There's a Reddit post saying that Bandai has requested all Japanese based retailers stop sales to international customers.

The OP of the original Facebook post made a clarification post today to clear things up after their initial post went viral, looks like it's not about preventing international customers from buying gunpla through Japanese stores but rather cracking down on international distributors. International vendors who get their stock directly from Bandai should be fine? It's not like HLJ or P-Bandai isn't gonna let you buy stuff.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

HLJ twitter confirmed that they are still shipping to North America.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I finished the RG Eva Unit 01 with Transport Platform set last night. Overall it’s a very good, detailed kit, and I’m constantly surprised at the level of detail they’re able to include. One of the coolest parts is how they did the eyes and horn; they molded multiple colors into one piece, and it’s the first advanced kit I’ve made that features eyes as a part instead of a decal (the entry grade RX-78-2 and SD/CS Char’s Zaku II don’t really count). The only downsides to the Eva itself is one of the chest plates is quick to fall off, and the green tip of one of its armguards also falls off easily. The Transport Platform is a cool idea in theory, but it was somehow more finicky to pose the Eva in that than on its own. One side would pop out, I would align it back into its rack, and then the other side would pop out. It probably took a solid 20 minutes to get it into the correct position, and then I installed the umbilical cable, which yanked it out of balance and I had to just forgo the cable (I had similar cable issues with Unit 00, it feels like it’s Just A Thing with these RG Eva kits).

The biggest upside of the kit is the AT field and special hands so you, too, can recreate goatse in plastic.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

The OP of the original Facebook post made a clarification post today to clear things up after their initial post went viral, looks like it's not about preventing international customers from buying gunpla through Japanese stores but rather cracking down on international distributors. International vendors who get their stock directly from Bandai should be fine? It's not like HLJ or P-Bandai isn't gonna let you buy stuff.

Unless I'm misinterpreting this, it sounds like it could kill the local UK market since we have no official distortion. I have no idea if the company that everyone gets their stock from gets stock from Bandai or somewhere else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

Looks like Bandai is doing some housecleaning in the merch department; Bluefin and Bandai America are merging. Maybe this will turn out better than the other two times they've tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The full story is pretty funny. Basically, just telling certain stores to quit enabling price gouging resellers, a few refusing, and bandai letting them know they really meant it.

Overall, it's a good thing. Bandai is one of the few hobby companies that recognizes that people buying up stock to turn around and price gouge costs them sales in the long run, even if they're selling out stock now. Disposable income is a finite resource and if someone pays double, they may buy half as much or get frustrated and no longer buy anything at all.