Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

CelticPredator posted:

I want the new evil dead ash

He might not be too hard to find. It appears that the only ones getting overly scalped are Demona and the signed Gizmo. Demona's the only one I am after.

Rhyno posted:

These MOTU reveals are amazing.

Snake Mountain tomorrow..........?

I hope so! Along with another vehicle announcement? Battle ram, Attak Trak, Bashasaurus, Road Ripper, Spidor; I'd be happy with any of those. As much as I want it to be Spidor, I doubt it since we got the Roton announcement yesterday. If there is a vehicle, it'll probably be a hero one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good to hear!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

CelticPredator posted:

Good to hear!

If I find myself back there and Ash is hanging around, would you like one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

He might not be too hard to find. It appears that the only ones getting overly scalped are Demona and the signed Gizmo. Demona's the only one I am after.

I hope so! Along with another vehicle announcement? Battle ram, Attak Trak, Bashasaurus, Road Ripper, Spidor; I'd be happy with any of those. As much as I want it to be Spidor, I doubt it since we got the Roton announcement yesterday. If there is a vehicle, it'll probably be a hero one.

The only thing left from '82 is the back of the Battle Ram. '83 has the Talon Fighter/PD, Attack Trak and Screech. And '84 is Snake Mountain, Road Ripper, Dragon Walker, Mekaneck, Kobra Khan and Whiplash. I really want to seem them finish out those release years and they've teased all of it so I'm hoping we see all of it by next year.

The pipe dream is Eternia and if He-Mania keeps up like it has I'd say we have a good chance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Joe Fisto posted:

If I find myself back there and Ash is hanging around, would you like one?

Appreciate it but I gotta kinda wait a little bit before I snag em.

I’m trying to snag the HT pennywise before it goes and I’m waiting on an eBay payment

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Awesome, 2021 Animated He-Man too!

Now we just need the rest of the team

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

If they do huge fancy Masterverse figures of Battle Cat and Orko from the new CG show, I would get those, but I gotta draw the line there. I really enjoy the show but it’s more in spite of the aesthetic than because of it. I’m really glad they’re making big fancy versions of the characters for people that want them, but I’m kinda past the saturation point on He-Man with all the toys coming out that I do want. I only have so much room for those guys and Origins is really where it’s at.

I’m having to develop some personal guidelines for collecting Masterverse, and basically what I’ve come up with is: Anybody from She-Ra plus any especially cool redesigns of classic MOTU characters. So far that’s pretty much just the “barbarian” He-Man and Skeletor, but some of the new reveals look neat.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm gonna lose all my goddamned money to hemans

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
[in extreme Ferengi voice]

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm gonna lose all my goddamned money to hemans

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
remember how some dipshit said He-Man was a dying line and wouldn't be continued

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

remember how some dipshit said He-Man was a dying line and wouldn't be continued

Yeah Scott Nutlicker sucks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joe Fisto posted:

Hot Toys announced its second figure from Eternals, Gilgamesh. It looks great, fantastic likeness. However; how many of these do they think they’ll sell? I can’t imagine people are clamoring for Eternals figures, especially ones that aren’t Ikaris or Cersi. It has to be just a contractual obligation, right?

I like to imagine someone who isn't really into toys, but has the complete set of Marvel Legends Eternals figures.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I got Marvel Legends retro Spider-Armor Spidey and while he’s still in the packaging right now, he still looks glorious. That Spidey was the first figure I ever got from the Toybiz line for the animated series back in the 90s so I’ve always had a soft spot for the design, and the new ML version does not disappoint. He’s all shiny and he looks perfect.

It looks like a cool figure, but I wish it wasn't the PS4 version of the suit.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Joe Fisto posted:

the signed Gizmo.

Signed as in someone autographed it?

I'd probably get the She-Ra that's in those announcement tweets.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

20th Anniversary Cap is in stock at Gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibl...e/11160339.html

Shiroc posted:

Signed as in someone autographed it?

Signed by Billy’s actor. That’s why it’s 99 bucks.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 17, 2022

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Is that She-Ra going to be an exclusive or anything? I was never into either that or He-Man as a kid but loved a lot of that remake from the other year and would take this assuming that will never get figures that don't suck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Canopus250 posted:

Is that She-Ra going to be an exclusive or anything? I was never into either that or He-Man as a kid but loved a lot of that remake from the other year and would take this assuming that will never get figures that don't suck.

Generally these reveals are not exclusives. So far there's only been two hard exclusives in MV, Fake and King Grayskull.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that reminds me, where DOES one get King Grayskull

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My wife has wanted a plush Wicket to replace the one she used to have as a kid. She was never clear on if it would be for our kid or just to hang on to, but she finally did it!

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 17, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

that reminds me, where DOES one get King Grayskull

Pre orders are sold out unfortunately

https://www.target.com/p/masters-of-the-universe-masterverse-revelation-king-grayskull-action-figure/-/A-83351632

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are but Faker wasn't hard to find after a month. I would hop KG is the same.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ah. dang

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

Going to probably write up a post about my thoughts on the super 7 godzilla stuff soon ish, so look forward to that I guess.

Working through my thoughts on them and why I feel the way I do. It's interesting at least!

I would be interested in hearing them. My thoughts are complicated to and I'm not sure if I'll be buying or not yet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

void_serfer posted:

It looks like a cool figure, but I wish it wasn't the PS4 version of the suit.

I’ll take what I can get lol.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

They are but Faker wasn't hard to find after a month. I would hop KG is the same.

I'm hoping they didn't overcorrect from the glut of Fakers on the shelf and under order KG. I have mine ordered, but people need his glory on their shelves!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Canopus250 posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me at this point if they do some figures based on the Netflix She-Ra, since there have been some “deep cuts” particularly in the Origins line, like mini-comic figures. I think the chunky, minimal Origins style would actually be a pretty good fit for characters from that show, and I’ve been hoping they get there.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that the extra cape and shoulder armor that come with that new She-Ra figure are based on the Netflix show, so that’s interesting.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Does it say when that She-Ra is supposed to be released?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Didn't masterverse Faker show up on BBTS anyhow? That's what I'm hoping happens with KG. I would like to add him to my hoarder pile collection

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

Yeah Scott Nutlicker sucks.

Was that the guy who was in charge of Mattel's 2000 line, had them make a figure based on himself, then rewrote the lore to make it the most important, powerful character in the MOTU canon?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Was that the guy who was in charge of Mattel's 2000 line, had them make a figure based on himself, then rewrote the lore to make it the most important, powerful character in the MOTU canon?

Wait what !?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Checked two Targets this afternoon and no GITD Muckman. No other Haulathon exclusives either.

Hoping I can get one online tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breathe. If anyone has an extra and can hook me up please let me know.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 18, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, that's the MIGHTY SPECTOR himself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay. I'm going to talk about Super7's Godzilla stuff for a hot second.

So I'll start out with the conclusion, I decided to get them. I may come to regret this, I may not. But I'm going to talk through my thoughts and rationale for why I decided to throw down 200 dollars. First, it cannot be avoided to say, Super7 did themselves an unkindness with this.

I've seen some nonsense complaints thrown at them- but I also get it. I get it because I was hit with the worry on my end too about other things. There were people who didn't think they had elbow joints, which is absurd! Of course they will. But then I was one of those that worried about the tail not having articulation, I remind myself. So let's take a step back

This render. This one right here. This is how most of us got introduced to the line.

This is a masterclass of bad presentation. The cuts for articulation are so awkward looking, the legs look stumpy and I'll swing back around to them, the shoulders are bad looking the neck is weird...this is a terrible first impression. And the worst thing of all is something in the back of your mind, if you're a collector in the Godzilla headspace. That inescapable, unavoidable thought of 'don't I already have this?'

Because 1989 Godzilla is the last one I would have started with at this point in time. There are three prior 1989 Godzilla action figures within recent memory released, and two of them quite recently at that. You have the giant show stopper one off figure released a while back, but more pertinent, you have the NECA 89 and Monsterarts 89. So your head, if you're in that circle, immediately goes to them. My eyes certainly did as I glanced at my shelves where I have 89 on display on the opposite end of Kiryu, the other last NECA.

We are drowning in toys of this guy. And here's this one, awkward looking, off.

And I think its the render doing it.

You see it from another angle, an actual physical prototype, and it kind of works better. You start to get it. No, these aren't going to have the depth of sculpt as monsterarts, but they're also not made like monsterarts. These are going to be made out of traditional plastics, not like the statue build of those figures. The best comparison is NECA, which is where I circled around again. Comparing this to my NECA Goji, understanding that the articulation hasn't been added to the tail and taking it on faith that the tail will be done as well as NECAs, these are basically NECA + figures.

Same or better articulation, more stuff they come with, larger scale. That's where I really looked at the legs.

The reason why they look so short and stumpy? You can see this best in the prototype, but if you look back at that render you see it as well- they've been bent as far back as they probably can go. He's practically squatting. Which, that isn't how Godzilla stands. NECA has similar leg articulation and getting certain designs in squatting poses helps VS others where its a huge detriment. For Bio Goji, whose whole thing is being a tall boy, it really is the latter. He needs to be standing up to his full height to get the right Look.

You still have the issue with the waist cut, but if that gives way to an actual ball joint, that's understandable and even fixable.

But what I said about the tail is sadly the crux of the whole thing.

Taking it on faith. Super7 has never done figures like these before. The first they'll attempt are the Dinozords from MMPR. We have zero point of reference for how they'll do with ball jointed tails. And unlike the Dinozords, we DO have examples of very good ways to do these kind of figures. So, you have to take it on good faith that they will be done right.

Which means blindly paying 85 dollars on a figure that you probably already own or could easily get from another company where you know its done right. And you're having to come to terms with the quirks and questions on your own, because the actual advertising for the figures fails to mention any of the things that you're grappling with. The tail having joints? Confirmed on an instagram reply. That should have been addressed in the write up on the pages themselves.

Then you come around to what they come with and its...less. Than one would hope.

Godzilla 1989 has a pretty famous enemy, an attack ship created by the humans, the Super X 2. It's not very big but it's extremely memorable. This would have been the perfect place to include it.

It missing feels like a genuine mistake, as a fan.

The lack of a beam is both unfortunate but also kind of understandable. Beams at this scale? That's insane. Imagine how heavy it'd be. It'd have to have its own stand. And that's not even thinking about *space*. You already have a nearly two foot long tail...so what you get instead are some hands, a neck wrap that I hope can be made to look to connect to where it's supposed to and not just like Godzilla's wearing a kinky scarf, and the biggest misstep of the accessories that are here.

I am very, very sympathetic to wanting to do alternate heads for Godzilla. I get it. NECA shot themselves in the foot over this. They stuck with the tried and tested method of just having an articulated jaw. But, where they shot themselves in the foot was, they also tried to give certain Godzilla's facial expressions. They tried to make them look more than just the standard. GMK is the easiest one to mention, he's always snarling. Open mouth, closed mouth, his lips are drawn back and gums exposed. And it doesn't look right if his mouth is closed due to that. G-64 looks *awful* with his mouth closed, he was designed to have an open mouth look.

And there are Godzillas where this is a big benefit. Certain Godzillas have very articulated faces, make memorable expressions.

This is not the right way to do it. You needed to have a more extreme difference between the two heads other than open mouth, closed mouth. Yes, it results in a stronger head sculpt, but its also removing a feature but adding another piece people have to keep up with now.

That head sculpt, for the record, is what won me over. Well that and something else.

That head sculpt on the prototype is dead on. The whole thing has a kind of Trendmasters vibe due to being more action-figurey, but that's not really a bug. That's just how Super7 are. Honestly, they should have given us a Trendmasters Head, big ole red eyes and all. That would have been incredible and I cannot fathom why they didn't. These feel like they're trying to be screen accurate movie real figures, but also still have the aesthetic and spirit of Trendmaster action figures with all their weird gimmicks and chrome armor.

Ultimately I came down on getting Godzilla for three reasons. I genuinely want to support this line, I want to be in on the ground floor, even if that ground floor isn't where I wish it was, and ...

So let's talk about Rose for a second.

This sold me on Godzilla Ultimates. After all my heart ache and all my gut wrenching and the literally thousands of words above, this got me.

Now, Rose still has issues. She is fundamentally a statue, a set piece first and foremost. While her tentacles will be articulated, that's about all they CAN do.

But look at the size of this thing. Look at the detail, no longer in the harsh studio lights. Look at the heft. She shares many of the same issues as Godzilla, most in fact, but has one important thing that he doesn't

She has not been done like this before, and she will not be done like this after. And that's true of whoever comes next. Godzilla will see more figures, Godzilla will never stop getting figures. We will be long in the grave and Godzilla will still be getting toys.

Rose Biollante? No way in hell. This is an investment for the future as much as it is anything to do with the figure itself. I want Super7 to keep going. I want Destroyah from them, in this style. I want Ghidorah. Think about that! Look at this massive lady, and think about a golden three headed dragon nearly twice her height! I want the kaiju that won't get love, I want Kumonga, Jet Jaguar, Megalon.

She's still very much what Godzilla is, what I expect the whole line to be. A mix of movie realistic and Trendmaster classic.

But at this size? There won't be anything else like it. I do wonder who the other two were supposed to be in this wave, but hopefully we'll see them relatively soon. I wish they'd been clearer with the promotion, I wish they'd included product shots of the prototypes like the above.

I wish we could see the Godzilla prototype in that same shot! Those studio lights are unforgiving and make them look much cheaper than what they would in natural lighting.

I will say, Bio's head is a *good* use of alternate heads going forward. There's no way they could have had an articulated mouth in that flower otherwise. No way.

But yeah. It's still a lot of money to throw down and the Godzilla still isn't what I would have wanted. Nor is Rose, being fair. But I also don't want to regret not having them. I couldn't collect Monsterarts back in the day and now it'd be worse than a fools errand to try- never mind how little they put out and how infrequently. NECA was fine, but they only put out Godzillas.

Super7 as a superior NECA?

I'll take it.

And if I regret it later, I regret it later. But at least I'll have a Godzilla the size of my torso to comfort me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn’t see anything cool at Target either. Just some Rose Goku Black Figuarts if anyone was wondering when they’d hit stores.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Didn't masterverse Faker show up on BBTS anyhow? That's what I'm hoping happens with KG. I would like to add him to my hoarder pile collection

It was dropped from the case assortment and they removed the solo listing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Okay I need to know more about this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is Goliath still in Targets?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Is Goliath still in Targets?

I've seen it at Target and loads at Walmarts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nodosaur posted:

Okay I need to know more about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VrLY2k-Yqo&t=696s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A store near me has started stocking more Godzilla sofubi and its become a fun way to get weirder Godzillas and secondary kaiju. I got a Megalon and the Singular Point Godzilla because I decided the Monsterarts one was too big.