Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Alright it’s been bothering me for a while now and with the blessings of hindsight I have to ask: are Hyetta and Irina, in fact, the same entity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was always like "yeah, no quest log, perfectly fine" but the more information that comes out about the side-quests has them so involved and detailed that it really needs some kind of record, even if it's convo logs.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, the Radahn nerfs (?) may get my friend to finally continue on with the game. He's been quite miserable and stuck on him for a few days now.

Definitely the hardest boss of the game for me as well. After a good amount of tries, finally lucked out for his attention to turn away from me for long enough to get some casts on him (and frost stomping him, naturally)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 17, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pouring out a 40 for Hoarfrost Stomp. That wasn't a nerf, that was a late abortion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pentyne posted:

I was always like "yeah, no quest log, perfectly fine" but the more information that comes out about the side-quests has them so involved and detailed that it really needs some kind of record, even if it's convo logs.

I mean the markers update when they move from what understand so a log is a bit redundant now

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They gave one to Sekiro months after release so I could see it coming with like a DLC update

There are three unused coliseums, perhaps one is for PvP, a second for Boss Rush, and the third?????

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

There are three unused coliseums, perhaps one is for PvP, a second for Boss Rush, and the third?????

Fashion show

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Dung-eating championship.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Office Pig posted:

Alright it’s been bothering me for a while now and with the blessings of hindsight I have to ask: are Hyetta and Irina, in fact, the same entity?

I think the Frenzyflame related entities have the ability to hijack dead bodies, see also Yura and Shabriri.
So in a sense, yes but also no.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GentlemanGiant posted:

I think the Frenzyflame related entities have the ability to hijack dead bodies, see also Yura and Shabriri.
So in a sense, yes but also no.

oh poo poo I never put that together, it's super obvious

man that frenzied flame god is all sorts of bad news huh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it owns

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I bet these weapon nerfs wouldn't feel so gutting if From would remove their absurd and overwrought weapon upgrade system from the game, which would make the transition to other weapons much less of a total PITA. They already nerfed the cost of weapon upgrade mats in the patch. They know the system is stupid. Just get rid of it.

"Hey there, now that you're in the mid/late game, here's a metric ton of new weapons, and look how neat they all look! What's that? No, of course you can't actually use them you idiot. If you want to try any of them out, you have to go farm early and early-mid game mats and pay a ton of runes just to find out whether or not you might like to use any of them, and you get to do that on a per-weapon basis! Have fun!"

Either let us use one-time permanent weapon proficiency upgrade items on our characters to upgrade all the weapons in the game to + whatever, or just be done with the whole dumb system and scale base damage stats off total character level and bonus damage off specific attribute stats.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 17, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah, this guy is saying he's datamined out some stuff that from didn't list in their patch including these radahn changes:
https://twitter.com/king_bore_haha/status/1504519190199234563?s=20&t=_sfTRdUpZTVr9Cjy1aDF4A

that said, usual caveats apply about randos saying things on the internet about elden ring

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

all the weapons are still fine

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

poe meater posted:

I wish there was a boss rush mode or something. There are so many weapons and abilities to play around with

shame they never brought bonfire ascetics back

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Now I’m imagining an ARC focus build and wondering what that would be like.

ARC, almost by necessity, is heavily bleed-focused, although you can mix in scarlet rot for bosses here and there. both sorcery and incantations have catalysts that scale with arcane, so you can also mix in some spellcasting here and there, but putting occult on an uchigatana/nagakiba or using something like rivers of blood is gonna be what you're doing for the majority of the bosses in the game

there's also some theoretically interesting arcane-scaling items - the ripple axe and ripple halberd - that scale off of arcane and can also be weapon buffed, but they're currently really poopy because a) you cannot change the ashes of war out on them, so you're stuck with the thoroughly underwhelming wild strikes and sweeping strike, and b) weapon buffs cast from arcane-scaling catalysts are glitched (?) to not count the incantation scaling from arcane, so putting scholar's weapon on your weapon from an albunauric staff will be hilariously weak compared to a pure int catalyst

Cowcaster posted:

ah, this guy is saying he's datamined out some stuff that from didn't list in their patch including these radahn changes:
https://twitter.com/king_bore_haha/status/1504519190199234563?s=20&t=_sfTRdUpZTVr9Cjy1aDF4A

that said, usual caveats apply about randos saying things on the internet about elden ring

those are pretty believable changes. i commented on it before, but the absolute most dangerous part about him before was the fact that his phase 1 360' spin and dual gravity sweep were both almost guaranteed hits on level ground. if radahn wasn't 360ing in such a way that he was heading downhill, it was literally unavoidable at melee range regardless of the direction you dodged in

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 17, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Andrast posted:

all the weapons are still fine

some weapons are a million times better
rivers of blood seems downright nasty in pvp now

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Doe Grease / Weapon spell buffs increase your overall damage? Is there a way to tell how much? Trying to gauge if this regular greatsword I've buffed up will beat a special boss weapon that I can't grease.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I like the albinaurics they’re just funny lil guys.

Elden Ring is really delivering in the funny lil creature department

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Bird farming spot is gone. Neat.

Well at least From is now giving us active incentive to save time by just firing up the game offline and using CheatEngine to give ourselves a few million runes, save game and exit, then go back online to upgrade stuff. Seems less tedious that way, really.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can some explain how reviving NPCs work? I am getting mixed signals on who can be revived and who can't.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Doe Grease / Weapon spell buffs increase your overall damage? Is there a way to tell how much? Trying to gauge if this regular greatsword I've buffed up will beat a special boss weapon that I can't grease.

the typical situation is a regular weapon plus grease will do more damage than a special/boss weapon no grease, with the obvious caveat that the former uses a consumable and only lasts temporarily

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

check your equipment screen; you should be able to see the weapon damage buff of that specific element on your weapon's stat layout

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

GreatGreen posted:

Well at least From is now giving us active incentive to save time by just firing up the game offline and using CheatEngine to give ourselves a few million runes, save game and exit, then go back online to upgrade stuff. Seems less tedious that way, really.

There's been several reports in this thread that bird farm is still functional

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i tried out bird farm today and it's 100% identical to before

if it isn't working, it's probably because you're too close to the ledge, as i think the reason the bird charges into the abyss like a dumbass is because it's coded to sprint like a madman to try and catch up to someone peeking around a corner to shoot it

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

jfc if I have to hear "I am Malenia, blade of Miquella" one more time

I am not good at souls games, but I usually feel like repeated deaths are teaching me something about the boss. But even with a bleed weapon, Tiche and Swarm of Flies it feels like complete luck whether I get to the second phase or not
- Get the quick-slash combo one too many times? Enjoy giving her 10% of her health back every time
- Be doing literally anything except running away already when she does Waterfowl Dance? Embrace death, I guess, or watch her take half your summon's health. Oh and if you survives she can do it twice in a row, because gently caress you
- Successfully bully her into a corner and put her on the floor? She can recover straight into Waterfowl Dance, and if there's any way to survive that at point blank range I haven't found it

As for the second phase, she keeps all her bullshit but everything is a 2-shot kill and she doesn't stagger as easily, which is the one advantage you had

yes, I'm mad

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

FishMcCool posted:

Right, fair enough. It just doesn't feel very major apart from the GRRRRRRM sword being there, but I guess the layout is more involved than that of more generic dungeons. Caria Manor, well, there's a good reason to point to it since it's the key to a major ending.

There’s a trophy

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey ya'll. I just finished the game as an arcane dex man.

Any advice for a faith/str run? Specifically are there any decent faith spells that I can get access to early on?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

why am I seeing this posted a million times, it isn’t true. I literally just tried it and it worked fine

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gato posted:

I am not good at souls games, but I usually feel like repeated deaths are teaching me something about the boss. But even with a bleed weapon, Tiche and Swarm of Flies it feels like complete luck whether I get to the second phase or not
- Get the quick-slash combo one too many times? Enjoy giving her 10% of her health back every time
- Be doing literally anything except running away already when she does Waterfowl Dance? Embrace death, I guess, or watch her take half your summon's health. Oh and if you survives she can do it twice in a row, because gently caress you
- Successfully bully her into a corner and put her on the floor? She can recover straight into Waterfowl Dance, and if there's any way to survive that at point blank range I haven't found it

As for the second phase, she keeps all her bullshit but everything is a 2-shot kill and she doesn't stagger as easily, which is the one advantage you had

yes, I'm mad

She studied the blade

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Hey ya'll. I just finished the game as an arcane dex man.

Any advice for a faith/str run? Specifically are there any decent faith spells that I can get access to early on?

lightning spear is a good early spell that only requires 17 faith, although actually getting it is a bit of a chore. you have to rappel down some of those tombstone steps into the valley to the southeast of the minor erdtree in weeping peninsula and kill a scarab, which is surrounded by like fifty loving bats hanging out, so bring some arrows

catch flame is also extremely strong and useful, since you can spam it like crazy and stunlock most lesser enemies. does good damage to boot

i also like bestial sling, since you can get it pretty early and it does some decent AoE damage, but it also comes out lightning quick and can be used to interrupt enemies to let you get in a fast R1

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I mean a buffed greatsword will always do more damage than an unbuffed greatsword! So yes buffs increase overall damage.

Special unbuffable weapons usually have some kind of thing to balance out the fact that they can't use buffs/ashes. For example the Ruin Greatsword has a unique huge-aoe weapon skill and does some special gravity magic crap on its charged R2. But it's still really weapon specific whether they'll actually be higher overall damage. With an optimized build a buffed-up normal weapon will usually have the best AR.

But there are also some special weapons that are buffable, like the Great Club, and some normal weapons that are "non-buffable" but can still equip ashes of war to use self-buffs from weapon skills like Seppuku or Cragblade.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 17, 2022

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

FishMcCool posted:

So, random question but does anyone know why the graces point to Castle Morne? It's not part of the critical path, doesn't hold any great rune, doesn't hold any medallion half, it's just xp, a few smithing stones, a small sidequest disconnected from the main story, and a weapon dropping optional boss. Was it possibly originally planned to be more than that and the Irina questline should have tied up more with the main storyline? Or is it a pointer that just means "you should go there to level up a bit"? That's all I can think of.

Interestingly, Hyetta won't appear until Irinia dies as part of the Caslte Morne questline. I don't actually know if you need her for Frenzied Flame way down the line but I always thought it was interesting. They're clearly the same person but... not?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Gato posted:

yes, I'm mad

The only way I managed to beat Malenia was to do it over and over until I got lucky and she didnt use the waterfowl dance more than once. And that was with the mimic and hoarfrost "cheese". Easily the worst boss.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
You can actually roll waterfowl dance but lol if you try because yeah if you mess it up you die instantly

I've found winning that fight is just a bit of a luck check to where and when waterfowl dances comes out and the rest is up to you and how much HP your summon has left in phase 2.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there any Ash that's faster than Double Slash? Using it on my Blood Nagakiba builds up bleed really fast and I'm curious if there's any other ones I should keep an eye out for that might do the job faster.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is there a lore reason for wolves falling out of the sky?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how come blood affinity twinblades has a higher blood buildup than both base and blood uchigatana? I finally see bleed procs in regular battle now

what is the superior bleeding weapon in early-ish game? between godrick and rennala, not gated behind bosses etc

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is there a lore reason for wolves falling out of the sky?

Read the item description for the bloody wolf armor. The wolves appeared during a gust of wind or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

*covering up the part of the screen that shows my level* I beat Margit first try, it was easy for me