Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Hygiene posted:

Uploading the text for my posts as csv attachments from now on, just let everyone else decide on their preferred punctuation imo

I would prefer that as an .ods file if you wouldn't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

credburn posted:

Text should be presented in spreadsheet form only, each word and space given its own cell.

They were almost there

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Trabant posted:

They were almost there

wtf is this lmao

It feels extremely 2004-05ish.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Wasabi the J posted:

wtf is this lmao

It feels extremely 2004-05ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYHDfJDPDc

Song was from 2002, I believe.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

More of a fun fact, but balsa wood is classified as a hardwood, despite being one of lightest and softest woods available

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Welp, that made me look up hardwoods and softwoods, and I have also just discovered the distinction is angiosperms (hardwood) vs. gymnosperms (softwood)

My whole life. My dad is a woodworker. I TOOK A WOODWORKING COURSE

Literally no idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: the internet i sbad

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

credburn posted:

I had an autistic diagnosis a few years ago and another neurodivergent friend told me that she could tell right away, before my diagnosis, just based on the way I text. She says I have no understanding of "polite texting" as she called it. "For instance," she says. "You always end your texts with a period*."

So what? I says to her. That's not polite?

She says there's a subtext to it, that I clearly don't read, but others do. Which is why nobody else ends their texts or instant messages with a period.

And I said, What? What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course everyone ends their texts with periods. Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

But then I checked and motherfuck my world is blown away. I am the only one out of like a dozen people I message that actually ends messages with a period. If there are multiple sentences in a text, they use punctuation, all but the last period. People think I'm autistic because I'm consistent with punctuation? How did I not even notice people do this? This is polite texting?!

*the big reveal here is that people will use punctuation if it's a question, or if they want to add exclamation points, but if it's a period, everyone just leaves the sentence to hang!!!

My ex and I had an argument over this, where she said she was so tired of me always getting mad at her when she texted me. Which was how she interpreted me ending my reply with a period and I had like, no idea. (I also learned adding a plain smiley face meant I was mad at her, if her message had included a more elaborate one)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What a thought process.

What a thought process to project onto others!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Babe I went out of my way to make a ghost poop emoji with Google keyboard and you just sent back a trending gif I can't with you right now

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crespolini posted:

My ex and I had an argument over this, where she said she was so tired of me always getting mad at her when she texted me. Which was how she interpreted me ending my reply with a period and I had like, no idea. (I also learned adding a plain smiley face meant I was mad at her, if her message had included a more elaborate one)

When emojis were on Japanese phones but not standardised (pre unicode) there were at least a few messages that my then-gf and I (with phones on different networks) sent each other where the differences in design or even just mapping caused misunderstanding

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't remember exactly what it was but there was some ascii smiley (or emoticon if you're terminally online) that I used to use frequently, until someone with emoji functionality told me it was conveying a different message than I intended

I think it might have been :/ which I meant as a wry half-smile but emojified was more like apprehension and disgust

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm just glad I stopped saying "meh." at some point. We can grow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phy posted:

I think it might have been :/ which I meant as a wry half-smile but emojified was more like apprehension and disgust

:/

is how I feel when I drop my ice cream.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phy posted:

I can't remember exactly what it was but there was some ascii smiley (or emoticon if you're terminally online) that I used to use frequently, until someone with emoji functionality told me it was conveying a different message than I intended

I'm still annoyed that most graphical versions of :P have the tongue in the middle which is completely wrong!!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-: best smily

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
the best ones are 8===D ~o ~o and ( o Y o ), duh, but they aren't brave enough to give them proper emojis yet

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

the best ones are 8===D ~o ~o and ( o Y o ), duh, but they aren't brave enough to give them proper emojis yet

Pretty sure the first one is eggplant with a splash

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
𓂺𓂺𓂺𓂺

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Welp, that made me look up hardwoods and softwoods, and I have also just discovered the distinction is angiosperms (hardwood) vs. gymnosperms (softwood)

My whole life. My dad is a woodworker. I TOOK A WOODWORKING COURSE

Literally no idea.

shoulda read this book

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Welp, it turns out "dinty moore" isn't just some crap Senor Cardgage made up, but an actual person.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/24222032715

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hyperlynx posted:

Welp, it turns out "dinty moore" isn't just some crap Senor Cardgage made up, but an actual person.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/24222032715

:psyduck:

Dinty Moore is a brand of canned soup, and The Onion is satire.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Random thought that just popped into my head: the part in the Prince song which goes "Act your age, mama/Not your shoe size" makes sense in the US and the UK but probably confused some people in Europe where shoe sizes go up into the 40s and 50s

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Mar 17, 2022

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jabberlock posted:

shoulda read this book

This still gets a lol out of me after all these years

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

venus de lmao posted:

:psyduck:

Dinty Moore is a brand of canned soup, and The Onion is satire.

Oh, right. I didn't actually click the link. Ok, a brand, not a person, but that doesn't change the statement that Strong Bad "might paste away if I Dinty Moore" is referencing an actual thing, rather than made up out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCWR8cvxVs

... not that it really makes much difference in the scheme of things.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, right. I didn't actually click the link. Ok, a brand, not a person, but that doesn't change the statement that Strong Bad "might paste away if I Dinty Moore" is referencing an actual thing, rather than made up out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCWR8cvxVs

... not that it really makes much difference in the scheme of things.
What the gently caress are you talking about

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
dear strong bad

how do you type with boxing gloves on

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wow I'm just not figuring out not everybody has had the pleasure of eating Dinty Moore while camping as an 8 year old. I thought it was legally mandated worldwide.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My sole experience with Dinty Moore is I read Jay Leno's autobiography once and he accused Letterman of looking like the Dinty Moore mascot, a giant clean-shaven lumberjack with a rope belt

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I loved Dinty Moore as a kid nothing followed up playing in the snow like a steamy bowl of beef stew with nuclear-hot potatoes

I can make a better stew myself these days, but part of me still longs for moore of that dintiness

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
What I can't believe is all this talk of Dinty Moore and no mention of George McManus' "Bringing Up Father"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought Dinty Moore was Roger Moore's wacky cousin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brawnfire posted:

I loved Dinty Moore as a kid nothing followed up playing in the snow like a steamy bowl of beef stew with nuclear-hot potatoes

I can make a better stew myself these days, but part of me still longs for moore of that dintiness

:coffeepal:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My favorite Dinty Moore memory is when Marky Mark shot a can of it in the 2007 movie Shooter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the cannedy assassination

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

SLOSifl posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

The line at 5:00 in that video

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyperlynx posted:

The line at 5:00 in that video

There's been a weird confluence in my life lately of various people bringing up Homestar Runner in whatever random context.

Not a complaint.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've never felt more aligned with people than when in like 2004 we all collectively turned on Homestar Runner.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought Dinty Moore was Roger Moore's wacky cousin.

Roger Moore was wacky enough though, wasn't he?

Funny that this all came up now, too: there was a whole Dinty Moore bit at the start of Family Guy last week ("Lawyer Guy", LACX10). Stewie wonders what the Dinty part is all about. Wikipedia's not too helpful except in listing some people of that name, a Detroit-area sandwich, and the Hormel brand (with no clear connection between them all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Harvey TWH posted:

Roger Moore was wacky enough though, wasn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLnyMPmX3g