Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

listening to the RLM Batman & Robin commentary and getting a kick out of Joel Schumacher.

I think he (rip) was good at cranking out the popcorn movies that studios wanted. maybe his sensibility was similar to Stephen Sommers or something

"ok everyone, this is SEXY scene, so make sure it is SEXY so audiences know it is SEXY!"
"ok everyone, this is FUNNY scene, so make sure it is FUNNY so audiences know it is FUNNY!"

What killed batman and robin was seeing batman forever's success and saying "ok, let's have even more of that" It's a miscalculation and example of learning the wrong lesson. The same sort of thing happened with batman returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Peter Sellers and David Niven are great in them. Yeah they aren't high art but they're solid comedies. Seller's last one, Trail of the Pink Panther is really bad because Sellers was dead before it started filming so his footage is all clips and poo poo.

lmao

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Peter Sellers and David Niven are great in them. Yeah they aren't high art but they're solid comedies. Seller's last one, Trail of the Pink Panther is really bad because Sellers was dead before it started filming so his footage is all clips and poo poo.

Yeah, I don't think I ever watched that one. Looks like there were actually 7 of those movies in total. More than I thought. Looking at the list of them I'm pretty sure that The Pink Panther Strikes again from 1976 was my favorite. I think that's the one that has the laser set to destroy London and all the assassins trying to kill inspector Clouseau.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 17, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pink Panther films aren’t as fully loaded with jokes as modern viewers might expect but they still have some great stuff, eg “does your dog bite?”

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

Id honestly watch seth rogan as the inspector if the movie was actually a friggin heist movie and not somehow about a goddamn cartoon cat

poo poo. I didn't even think about them just making an animated movie but it would probably be the safest thing to do. Market it to kids and sell a million plushies.

I've never seen Trail of the Pink Panther because everything about it sounds awful.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean, the Panther itself was only ever in the movies as part of the James Bond spoof intro sequences far as I remember. Other than that it was a diamond or jewel in the first movie IIRC.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Randarkman posted:

I mean, the Panther itself was only ever in the movies as part of the James Bond spoof intro sequences far as I remember. Other than that it was a diamond or jewel in the first movie IIRC.

my dad showed me one as a kid and the whole time I was waiting for that cartoon panther to come back

surely there wouldn't be a movie titled pink panther that's just about a human detective

I was very disappointed, should probably give them another shot as an adult

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Randarkman posted:

This was a huge disappointment to me as a kid because I rented the Pink Panther movie expecting a cartoon and got some old guy in a boring detective movie :argh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I rewatched them old The Mummy from 1999, what a loving banger. The effects still hold up for the most part. Soooo fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Do they at least play the awesome song during the boring human detective parts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHwnrlZRus

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Henry Mancini score is definitely used throughout all the movies! It’s great.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I rewatched them old The Mummy from 1999, what a loving banger. The effects still hold up for the most part. Soooo fun.

Gotta mention John Hannah, he’s a delight, and he’s in all 3 because why the hell not?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Do they at least play the awesome song during the boring human detective parts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHwnrlZRus

Yeah it's typically used alot in the movies IIRC. The detective parts aren't boring though, it's Peter Sellers being a ridiculously bumbling French detective. It's slapstick, but very effective slapstick, and the real heart of the movies, though he wasn't really intended to be the main character of the movies, he was a side character in the first one, but was really popular so they focused on him for the rest of the movies for the most part.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Yeah it's typically used alot in the movies IIRC. The detective parts aren't boring though, it's Peter Sellers being a ridiculously bumbling French detective. It's slapstick, but very effective slapstick, and the real heart of the movies, though he wasn't really intended to be the main character of the movies, he was a side character in the first one, but was really popular so they focused on him for the rest of the movies for the most part.

Ah, just like Madea

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

Comedy is just a part of adventure movies. No one thinks of Indiana Jones as comedies, they are action movies, but Indy goes fully slapstick multiple times. The one dude getting blendered by the airplane is straight out of a Leslie Nielsen flick.

I would go so far to as to suggest that the best action movies and horror movies smartly use comedy to create even higher highs, it’s an important part of making a certain kind of tension really snap.

Rewatching the original Star Wars trilogy reminded me of how many genuinely funny comedic moments their were. Luke's whining is really loving hilarious to me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I enjoy how he is such a fuckup who succeeds accidentally it drove his superior insane and he tries to kill Clouseau repeatedly in later movies.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Rewatching the original Star Wars trilogy reminded me of how many genuinely funny comedic moments their were. Luke's whining is really loving hilarious to me

The comedy in the original trilogy is all spot on and also is probably responsible for the sequel trilogy being an abject failure so in other words it is the gift that kept on giving.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember when Last Crusade established how Indy got his whip, his hat and his fear of snakes all in one day and it was awesome and funny. Then Star Wars did it, over and over and over and it was bad.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

there was a series on Irish television called Charlie about one of our more famously corrupt politicians and he was unbelievably terrible in it.

Strange, he play a similar character in seasons 3-5 of The Wire and he's pretty great (at playing a character that I hate).

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This was a huge disappointment to me as a kid because I rented the Pink Panther movie expecting a cartoon and got some old guy in a boring detective movie :argh:

The exact same thing happened to me when my grandpa showed me the first movie (he knew I liked the animated shorts/show) but then he played The Naked Gun, and all was well again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is pink panther the only movie to have its credit sequence character have more staying power than the franchise itself?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The best Pink Panther movie was A Shot In the Dark, which didn't even have the Pink Panther in it

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The best Pink Panther movie was A Shot In the Dark, which didn't even have the Pink Panther in it

I mean, apart from the first one revolving around the diamond named the Pink Panther, none of them do apart from the title sequence.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Scaramouche posted:

Is pink panther the only movie to have its credit sequence character have more staying power than the franchise itself?

Not sure it counts but the cereal and vitamins with Flintstones licenses I’m sure are much more culturally relevant than the Flintstones

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Roumba posted:

Strange, he play a similar character in seasons 3-5 of The Wire and he's pretty great (at playing a character that I hate).

he’s great in the wire. I didn’t even know he was Irish for years.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yup I rewatched it a few weeks ago and it was pretty fun. I thought the CG effects looked like poo poo, but they were used pretty sporadically that I didn't really mind.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love that movie but I struggle to get through it without imagining the alternate reality where Brendan Fraser got to have the career he truly deserved.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I haven't seen any news on The Whale with Brendan Fraser and Darren Aronofsky lately. I'd watch that.

Both I think deserve another go (DA made some bangers but got practically shunned after mother!)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fraser was good in No Sudden Move

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I haven't seen any news on The Whale with Brendan Fraser and Darren Aronofsky lately. I'd watch that.

Both I think deserve another go (DA made some bangers but got practically shunned after mother!)

I think part of the problem was that Mother! was supposed to be the comeback film after Noah. The critics were ready to embrace Aronofsky, but then the movie was so weird that it ended up bringing more backlash.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Fraser was good in No Sudden Move

just looked this up and wow the creature suit they put doug jones in is amazing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they made a Metal Gear Rising movie Brendan Fraser would be perfect to play Senator Armstrong.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
It's weird that the 90s thing of internet/cable/telephone companies merging with content/media companies took two to three decades to manifest, e.g. the viacom acquisition of paramount or time warner and aol. makes how the industry missed netflix kind of strange

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scaramouche posted:

as part of the same film probably, though that's probably not much of a big ask to be honest since I dont think it's really all that common

if it's an opening short before an unrelated feature movie then definitely not (because that's most definitely the mouse)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope somebody got fired for that blunder

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1504476400002248704

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TIP posted:

just looked this up and wow the creature suit they put doug jones in is amazing

hahaha

Quantum of Phallus