Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Nocturtle posted:

If living in a high density urban area means you need to camp out in museum parking lots to charge your car maybe you should just take the subway.

new yorkers love just sitting in their parked cars for hours

actually no they hate it! but what are they gonna do, carry their groceries? ok yes they could but listen, they need their car ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

new yorkers love just sitting in their parked cars for hours

actually no they hate it! but what are they gonna do, carry their groceries? ok yes they could but listen, they need their car ok

you’re minimizing the issues faced by new yorkers here. yes, they can carry their groceries, but do you expect them to carry their large dogs too? not practical.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
i call this drawing "Walking Down the Sidewalk Right Before Alternate Side Parking and Realizing Each Car Has a Creepy / Sad Guy just Sitting Inside"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So, in the future... are the rich going to drive EVs, and the poor ICEs?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So, in the future... are the rich going to drive EVs, and the poor ICEs?
Yes and the poor will probably be penalized for driving ICEs and public transportation won't exist (because who needs it once we have electric cars)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
*Self-Driving Electric Cars**!!

**actual self-driving functionality may never exist, you will be held liable for all traffic collisions during operation of self-driving functionality

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

**actual self-driving functionality may never exist, you will be held liable for all traffic collisions during operation of self-driving functionality

lmao. We'll somehow end up with a situation where no one is liable for injuries sustained during an accident involving self-driving cars

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fault will fall on the pedestrian, the cyclist, or whoever had the cheaper self-driving car

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Clark Nova posted:

fault will fall on the pedestrian, the cyclist, or whoever had the cheaper self-driving car

Operating in an autonomous roadway without a licensed autonomous vehicle is a felony and anyone caught doing so assumes all liability as such.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
I'm visiting Amsterdam in less than a month and I'm worried that I'll acclimate to the quiet and calm of a city that was not designed to massacre pedestrians by flinging them under the wheels of 12 foot tall pickup trucks. the shock of returning to California car hell afterwards will give me a stroke as soon as I step out of the airport.

mystes
May 31, 2006

zero knowledge posted:

I'm visiting Amsterdam in less than a month and I'm worried that I'll acclimate to the quiet and calm of a city that was not designed to massacre pedestrians by flinging them under the wheels of 12 foot tall pickup trucks. the shock of returning to California car hell afterwards will give me a stroke as soon as I step out of the airport.
Luckily so will the pm2.5 pollution

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Polo-Rican posted:

i call this drawing "Walking Down the Sidewalk Right Before Alternate Side Parking and Realizing Each Car Has a Creepy / Sad Guy just Sitting Inside"

reminds me of some van bound dude I found who used to daily post pictures of what he claimed were aliens hiding in people’s cars

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Going to try to cycle to the new office today, whoops it's in an industrial area serviced only by big multi-lane roads with frequent truck traffic and there are no cycleways! Somebody avenge my inevitable death pls.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Also, flying with an airline counts as public transport - discuss.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Blackhawk posted:

It's usually substantially less greenhouse gases than driving a solo car the same distance.

The way people talk about flying in the context of global warming, you'd think it was the worst thing you could ever do, but it's really just pretty bad

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ikanreed posted:

It's usually substantially less greenhouse gases than driving a solo car the same distance.

The way people talk about flying in the context of global warming, you'd think it was the worst thing you could ever do, but it's really just pretty bad

It's also subtantial harder to replace than short and medium distance car travel. There's a frequency thing though - because it's cheap people (and businesses) do it a *lot* and even if it's not worse per mile than solo car travel it's an awful lot of miles.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

You don't really need to fly beyond leisure or seeing family, and maybe dubiously necessary business travel. You absolutely need public transport to get to work and around town, assuming you live in non-car-addled development. Also public transport can in principle be electrified.

I'd argue flying is even less necessary than owning a car, because the reality is a lot of communities have been built around car ownership. This is part of what makes cars so terrible of course.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/jongeeting/status/1504449698043682822?t=mHeaWOmGRZ4qwFpDaYBXUQ&s=19

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
30 to 50 Feral Cars

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

it's called automotive insanity because car culture is freaking insane. folks

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
After doing 1000km of city riding in the last few months I have noted that the drivers who are extremely abusive and occasionally try to kill you are either dudes in massive utes (90% of incidents) or women in late model BMWs or audis

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

After doing 1000km of city riding in the last few months I have noted that the drivers who are extremely abusive and occasionally try to kill you are either dudes in massive utes (90% of incidents) or women in late model BMWs or audis

Massive utes are the worst because that kind of vehicle is the exact personification of male aggression, so the people who buy them are most likely to want to outwardly project aggression at whomever they think they can get away with it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/18/tyre-extinguishers-deflating-suv-tyres-as-a-form-of-climate-action

quote:

The activists who took “climate action” against sports utility vehicles by flattening their tyres in the last two weeks have been receiving solidarity and calls for information from around the world.

Tyre Extinguishers provides instructions on how to deflate SUV tyres, offers guidance on who to target and collates reports of actions across the country. They have gauged the campaign’s reach by angry emails from SUV owners.

---

Acting autonomously and, usually, under the cover of darkness, the activists have used lentils to deflate tyres by placing one inside the tyre valve, holding it open and slowly bleeding air until the tyre is flat. The group calculates they’ve deflated the tyres on at least a thousand vehicles in two weeks.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

the use of lentils makes it sound like an onion article

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

upsidedown posted:

There is a vindaloo drive-thru pun here

My other half is away on business for maybe a month so our car has sat motionless in the driveway, they called me and asked if I could drive it round just to keep everything moving and the battery topped up which sure fine

I ended up picking up a mate from a doctor's appointment so it was a 1.5 people trip instead of just mindlessly burning oil

There is a 4 lane t-intersection we passed through where some people got greedy on the amber light and ending up holding the whole intersection + bus lane up for a good 40 seconds

Just madness that this is an essential part of life

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

upsidedown posted:

https://youtu.be/0y7QhnjyDXU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/17/us/usw-golf-team-van-crash-thursday/index.html

quote:

A 13-year-old was behind the wheel in Texas crash that killed 9 people and left two University of the Southwest golfers critically injured

A 13-year-old boy drove the pickup truck involved in a fiery head-on collision in Texas that killed nine people, including six University of the Southwest golfers and their coach, a National Transportation Safety Board official said Thursday. The 13-year-old died in the wreck, along with an adult who was riding with him in the pickup.

Investigators were able to identify the remains of the driver by his size, NTSB Vice Chairman Bruce Landsberg said.
Preliminary information indicates the left front tire of the pickup was a spare that failed, causing the vehicle to pull hard to the left into oncoming traffic of a two-lane roadway, Landsberg said. Both vehicles were probably moving close to the posted speed limit of 75 mph, he said.

Oh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

well at least we invented a form of transportation that dumps tons of carbon into the air while it's idling!

It's actually 3000 pounds, not enough to qualify as "tons".

3.5 pinocchios

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

freeway traffic here is close to pre-covid levels, but not evenly distributed. not surprisingly the wealthiest areas (west part of this map) have the biggest decrease because they have more people WFH. However it's kind of a mixed blessing because on those roads, people are driving fast as gently caress and so the noise is substantially worse. this is what is happening where I live as well, mostly "white noise" but every so often people going >100 mph making a poo poo ton of noise

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
reading some LeGuin from 1971, figured you sickos would enjoy

quote:

The law office of Forman, Esserbeck, Goodhue and Rutti was in a 1973 automobile parking structure, converted to human use. Many of the older buildings of downtown Portland were of this lineage. At one time indeed most of downtown Portland had consisted of places to park automobiles. At first these had mostly been plains of asphalt punctuated by paybooths or parking meters, but as the population went up, so had they. Indeed the automatic-elevator parking structure had been invented in Portland, long long ago; and before the private car strangled in its own exhaust, ramp-style parking buildings had gone up to fifteen and twenty stories. Not all these had been torn down since the eighties to make room for high-rise office and apartment buildings; some had been converted. This one, 209 S.W. Burnside, still smelled of ghostly gasoline fumes. Its cement floors were stained with the excreta of innumerable engines, the wheelprints of the dinosaurs were fossilized in the dust of its echoing halls. All the floors had a curious slant, a skewness, due to the basic helical-ramp construction of the building; in the offices of Forman, Esserbeck, Goodhue and Rutti, one was never entirely convinced that one was standing quite upright.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

reading some LeGuin from 1971, figured you sickos would enjoy

lmao had forgotten about that passage. so hard to imagine reclaiming even a few square metres, let alone an entire structure

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
https://twitter.com/ZyiteGadgets/status/1504864718531358723

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

distortion park posted:

lmao had forgotten about that passage. so hard to imagine reclaiming even a few square metres, let alone an entire structure

well they outlawed cars within city limits so they had to do something with all the parking lots

also she was talking about climate change refugees in 1971 lmao

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Dear America,

If cars are so great, why are your neighborhoods where you can live without one so expensive? :thunk:

mystes
May 31, 2006

goochtit posted:

Dear America,

If cars are so great, why are your neighborhoods where you can live without one so expensive? :thunk:
Because otherwise people who can't afford cars would want to live there, obviously.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I also love the window tinting that's seemingly everywhere, creating big ugly opaque blind spots and obstacles on the road for everyone else. You have no hope of seeing through or over them, so better hope the car on the intersecting road doesn't overshoot its stop line.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

no problem just add more cameras.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my college roommates smoked so much weed that the smoke alarm was constantly going off so in their infinite wisdom they smashed it off the wall with a baseball bat within a week of us moving in. within the second week, one of them got so high they passed out and left a pot on the burner and almost burned the house down with all of us inside.

probably can expect similar behavior from the brodozer crowd wrt the various cameras and obstacle alarms peppered throughout their vehicles

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

you will get shot doing this in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you will get shot doing this in america

probably why they do it at night after all the baby bombers fall asleep at 10pm zonked out on prescribed ambien and vicodins

also while operating a 6000 lb car