Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I was able to get service level billing out of AWS; not so for GCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Speaking of remote development environments, get ready for it to the thing that everyone's trying to sell you I guess: https://projects.codesandbox.io/

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Scrolling through that page is a nightmare

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My remote development environment is a laptop I can take anywhere and isn’t reliant on a startup not making GBS threads the bed taking my work with it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fano posted:

Scrolling through that page is a nightmare

Yeah it's really really bad. I feel like they tried to steal Remix's homepage but badly butchered it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the use case for a web IDE? Programmers too dumb to set up their own environments?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cum jabbar posted:

What's the use case for a web IDE? Programmers too dumb to set up their own environments?

Laptop-as-dumb-terminal is one. I definitely like the idea of being able to trade in my fat $4500 macbook for a $1300 Air, or a $600 chromebook. I think another cool one is being able to spin up an open source project's whole environment on the fly so you can fix a bug, run the test suite, and submit the PR.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cum jabbar posted:

You can have extra added latency for each keystroke and if your internet has issues or you live in an area ill suited for connectivity you'll have loads of fun

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

cum jabbar posted:

It's something you can sell as an overpriced SaaS product to a team lead or C-level who's never actually done real work in the last ten years.

... Oh, why is it useful to an engineering team? Uh... Something something the cloud.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

prom candy posted:

Laptop-as-dumb-terminal is one. I definitely like the idea of being able to trade in my fat $4500 macbook for a $1300 Air, or a $600 chromebook. I think another cool one is being able to spin up an open source project's whole environment on the fly so you can fix a bug, run the test suite, and submit the PR.

There's one I use for work occasionally, it's useful when I need to make a minor change somewhere without having to switch up anything in my actual dev setup.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
At my workplace, a large percentage of devs do their development primarily on a cloud desktop vs. their decently specced MacBooks. For two reasons: 1) running tests/builds locally is a surefire way to set the MacBook's fans to 100% and make everything sluggish (possibly reflecting issues we should fix), and 2) we do a lot of frontend work and can easily just serve the app and toss the cloud desktop's URL over to a colleague for quick collaboration.

I'd be reluctant to shell out the money were I paying out of my own pocket, but there are compelling reasons in the right circumstances.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I work with code-server (VSCode in a browser) which is incredible really, I can't tell the difference between developing locally. I've been only using Chromebooks for like a decade so I always go for browser-based tools.

I used a GCP VM for a long time but when Chromebook Linux was stable enough I switched to running the server on localhost, only to save the trouble of switching the VM and off. Besides that there's zero difference in the experience. I guess builds and tests and IDE static analysis are a little slower locally and my battery suffers more.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If your point of reference is mediocre mobile hardware, I can more readily see the appeal of 'rent-a-box' coding experience. I really don't think I could deal tho - It'd probably be enough for me decline an offer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It also feels like with the M1 Macs, a $1200 MacBook Air is probably a decent web dev machine if the memory ceiling doesn’t get in your way.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

For what it's worth, I've always been on top of the line Chromebooks. The specs are quite nice. I could easily run any IDE, I just go with browser native when I can.

I think I'm the only Chromebook user at my company, but I'm not the only code-server user. The others are using massive GPUs though, at least intermittently.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've been using Chromeboxes and Chromebooks as my primary desktops for nearly a decade. I can/could do much of my development locally on them in developer mode (or maybe Crostini but I haven't tried that), but all my professional development these days is on a "fast enough" cycle server on EC2.

And yes, I use VIM in a terminal for everything.

Oh my Chromebooks are lovely. Usually whatever FHD (but often TN) model they have at Microcenter for $400 or less.

prom candy posted:

Does anyone use a remote development environment?
Oh here's the OP. Historically most of my development has been remote via a terminal. My first machine was an Apple II and later DOS PC, but after that it was a SunOS shell, then Linux (both local and remote) for decades now.

I no longer use a glass terminal for development but I have in the past as a hobbyist. 9600 baud is too slow these days though.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If you are doing something where you need horsepower, put a 5950X and boatload of memory on a local machine and let it fly. You can make that real for under $1500.
For personal use? Sure! As a salaried, but remote professional I'm not hosting a big, power-hungry work machine at home. I already have enough low-power hardware at home for product testing that takes up a bunch of space I'd rather it not. If my responsibilities were solely in development though, nope.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 20, 2022

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

For what it's worth, crostini is really nice these days. I haven't encountered any limitations except not being able to install a driver for CUDA development on the integrated Intel Xe GPU.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I need to evaluate Crostini to see if it's a sufficient replacement for Crouton since the latter has been deprecated. My main use case that might cause problems is that I occasionally use SSH port forwarding from a terminal (not the Secure Shell extension) and need to run tun-based VPNs (but not OpenVPN), though the latter I could probably get away with keeping in the VM.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smackfu posted:

It also feels like with the M1 Macs, a $1200 MacBook Air is probably a decent web dev machine if the memory ceiling doesn’t get in your way.

Yeah I also use my MBP for hobbyist music production and from what I've seen I'll be able to get a MBA for my next machine without issue. My wife has the 2020 MBA and I can't believe how long she can use it for watching videos without needing a charge.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I use a M1 MBP for web dev and the 16GB of memory has never been an issue unlike a 32gb older MBP that would start to chug when browsers got hungry.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I need to evaluate Crostini to see if it's a sufficient replacement for Crouton since the latter has been deprecated. My main use case that might cause problems is that I occasionally use SSH port forwarding from a terminal (not the Secure Shell extension) and need to run tun-based VPNs (but not OpenVPN), though the latter I could probably get away with keeping in the VM.

I don't know about your VPNs but I've got ports forwarded via SSH (as well as kubectl port-forward) in crostini constantly, you shouldn't have any problem there.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For personal use? Sure! As a salaried, but remote professional I'm not hosting a big, power-hungry work machine at home. I already have enough low-power hardware at home for product testing that takes up a bunch of space I'd rather it not. If my responsibilities were solely in development though, nope.

This is very interesting to me - myself and my friends who've worked in this space have basically always wanted the fattest, biggest box we could get. I think I said this previously in this thread, but I was borderline pissed when my current job handed me a MacBook when what I really wanted was a powerful desktop. I'm not that familiar with the perspective of solving for space or mobility vs solving for 'needs to do all the things the fastest'. I can at least understand here why they would distribute mobile hardware as a primary device, since a sizable portion of this thread seems to prefer that.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
retooling a large project for running automated accessibility tests is slow moving hell. Especially since how they dangle this large user facing feature over my head "You lead this you're in good running to make Senior" but I'm caught up in aggressively shaving this yak.

Yes of course, fine. Accessibility is important. I'm not incentivized towards this.
Essentially the task is - "Take every set of unit tests for every component this React app and include an additional set of accessibility tests using this testing library." except we have about three hundred components.

Work doesn't like me running a Linux system, so they've given me two options - take laptop Coffee Lake laptop :pt: and windows + WSL. Or ... Mac M1 Pro 32GB ram.
Opting for mac because of processor bump, but a lot of my work is node+docker+kubernetes+aws so I have a lot of trepidation that'll be fighting my install for a week.
I don't know about any such goddamn virus checker they'll install. Run npm install - which touches a few hundred thousand files, the virus scanner will go berserk and turn a three minute operation into a seven minute one, just corporate hamstringing its own systems for some bullshit.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 20, 2022

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Coffee Jones posted:

I don't know about any such goddamn virus checker they'll install. Run npm install - which touches a few hundred thousand files, the virus scanner will go berserk and turn a three minute operation into a seven minute one, just corporate hamstringing its own systems for some bullshit.

SentinelOne is absolutely miserable for this and whenever I run a git checkout or git pull my laptop sounds like a jet engine taking off.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Coffee Jones posted:

Yes of course, fine. Accessibility is important. I'm not incentivized towards this.
Essentially the task is - "Take every set of unit tests for every component this React app and include an additional set of accessibility tests using this testing library." except we have about three hundred components.

Honestly, it seems like you may just need to make a suite of integration tests that cover all of the major use cases, several components at a time, and ensure that they can be performed. Then, work from there. Trying to create accessibility tests for every component at once feels like holding back the tide. Are other developers adding / updating accessibility testing as they go? If not, you will end up playing a game of forever catch-up

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 20, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would be looking into an automated script that adds the accessibility checks instead of doing it manually component-by-component. If any of them don't pass the accessibility checks, add them, disable them, make them the problem of the team that owns that component. I assume you have a mandate of some kind to add all these rather than doing it on your own initiative, so leverage that if you need to.

Especially if you're eyeing a senior position, where automating things to accomplish them more effectively instead of doing a bunch of toil is just expected.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is very interesting to me - myself and my friends who've worked in this space have basically always wanted the fattest, biggest box we could get. I think I said this previously in this thread, but I was borderline pissed when my current job handed me a MacBook when what I really wanted was a powerful desktop. I'm not that familiar with the perspective of solving for space or mobility vs solving for 'needs to do all the things the fastest'. I can at least understand here why they would distribute mobile hardware as a primary device, since a sizable portion of this thread seems to prefer that.
A workmate of mine once expensed the largest, beefiest laptop he could find because he needed a machine that was portable and one that could compile the "entire" codebase in minutes or whatever. That machine was a nightmare. It was big, heavy, hot, loud, and routinely broke down. Since he could do all his development on it, he ended up developing only on it and transitioning to other machines wasn't as fluid as you'd hope. I still don't know how he ever traveled with it. One day, his itself-a-laptop-sized power brick shorted out and took the entire machine with it. That was not a productive day.

This was back in 2014 and we had just transitioned to Google Apps or whatever, so I went with the exact opposite approached and asked to expense a $400 Samsung Chromebook as an experiment to see if I could be productive with it while traveling. Given that it was like one-sixth the cost of machines they typically purchased my boss said "sure, whatever". It was a 13" FHD model, 32-bit ARM processor, 4 GB of RAM. It was probably a little too underpowered, but I could pull up Gmail, a terminal, and even run Perl/Python/Ruby locally in a pinch. Prior to that any laptop I owned (ThinkPads mostly) only had a couple of hours of battery life, but this thing ran on a battery for 8-10 hours which was insane to me. It was effectively an ultrabook in everything but performance and cost. But like I said, I've been used to remote development so performance wasn't a concern of mine anyways. For the next few years I had to travel frequently, and it's the best when you can travel for 2-3 days with everything in a backpack and not need a suitcase since you can take any flight, including last minute changes, board last, not worry about checked luggage or finding overhead space, and having such a small machine enabled me to do that. No way I could've done that with a ThinkPad even, let alone something larger.

So how did productivity work out? My workmate used Eclipse and, somehow, Eclipse uses every bit of CPU and RAM you throw at it no matter what and has for decades now. He always complained his machine felt slow even though it was incredibly fast. For my part remote shells has rarely been an issue. Sure, there's times when you have to debug something literally half-way across the world and the 300 ms latency sucks. But generally speaking AWS latency has only gotten better so I don't notice.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 21, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jabor posted:

I would be looking into an automated script that adds the accessibility checks instead of doing it manually component-by-component. If any of them don't pass the accessibility checks, add them, disable them, make them the problem of the team that owns that component. I assume you have a mandate of some kind to add all these rather than doing it on your own initiative, so leverage that if you need to.

Especially if you're eyeing a senior position, where automating things to accomplish them more effectively instead of doing a bunch of toil is just expected.

To add on to this, there may be tools that can help here to catch some low hanging fruit. For example, Android has an Accessibility Scanner tool that will report possible accessibility issues as you run things with it enabled, and related testing frameworks that provide for this functionality while running unit tests. I know you mentioned React components, but you might be lucky and find something here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A workmate of mine once expensed the largest, beefiest laptop he could find because he needed a machine that was portable and one that could compile the "entire" codebase in minutes or whatever. That machine was a nightmare. It was big, heavy, hot, loud, and routinely broke down. Since he could do all his development on it, he ended up developing only on it and transitioning to other machines wasn't as fluid as you'd hope. I still don't know how he ever traveled with it. One day, his itself-a-laptop-sized power brick shorted out and took the entire machine with it. That was not a productive day.

I will say that I think unless you have an outstanding reason, building out a massive laptop is usually a mistake. Mobile hardware just...sucks. Even 'good' mobile mobile hardware is hamstrung by the space constraints in it, which end up manifesting as thermal limits, or unintuitive bottlenecks, etc. etc. Also, *insert complaints about keyboards and displays*. I really insist on desktop hardware as a result. Everyone get a big box :P.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My Macbook is hot and noisy and sometimes slow and I bought it for like $4500CAD just a couple years ago but I also really don't want to be chained to my desk. There are days where I'm literally not getting anything done and just killing time on SA and Twitter (i.e. today) and then I unplug my laptop and go sit in a different chair and bang out all my work for the day in a couple hours.

That said I was playing around with remote-ssh some more yesterday and having some serious issues. not sure if it was one of the VSCode plugins I installed remotely but every time I created a new file everything would slow to a crawl.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have a Thinkpad X13 with a Ryzen 7 Pro 5850u, that's basically my perfect work laptop.

Powerful enough CPU to do most of what I need, good Linux support out of the box, decent keyboard and I haven't had any issues with thermals. Battery life leaves something to be desired though.

I obviously can't do anything super intensive like train a neural network on the machine, but it's perfectly fine for writing up a few scripts, running a React dev environment, a VM or two, etc.

I do also have a laptop with an RTX 3070, but also having a desktop RTX 3070, I can tell you the cards are definitely not equal. Also I could totally bludgeon someone with the laptop or use it as a makeshift shield or something.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Anything I can't do on my PowerBook isn't worth doing.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I have some enormous, tricked out thinkpad mobile workstation that I’m sure cost thousands of dollars. But it only has a 512GB hard drive which is severely kneecaping using it for much local work, and it’s heavy as poo poo and sucks to lug around. I’d gladly trade it for something lighter and a little less powerful if I could get like a 2TB drive or something.

At least in a remote session I can throw dozens of cores at a build, so I’m sort of fine with remote dev work really.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

fourwood posted:

I have some enormous, tricked out thinkpad mobile workstation that I’m sure cost thousands of dollars. But it only has a 512GB hard drive which is severely kneecaping using it for much local work, and it’s heavy as poo poo and sucks to lug around. I’d gladly trade it for something lighter and a little less powerful if I could get like a 2TB drive or something.

At least in a remote session I can throw dozens of cores at a build, so I’m sort of fine with remote dev work really.

There are 2TB 2280 NVMes out there for sure. I slammed one into my X13 to replace the default 512GB SSD.

If it's a 2.5" drive you should have an even easier time finding a compatible drive I think.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
M1s still have a ton of compatability issues. I got one, but have to do all my builds remote.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

thotsky posted:

M1s still have a ton of compatability issues. I got one, but have to do all my builds remote.

I have one and had to jump through hoops to get it working with some things, but nothing that flat out wouldn't work in Rosetta.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

thotsky posted:

What have you had issues with? I'm thinking of getting one later this year but I thought the compatibility stuff was mostly ironed out.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

prom candy posted:

What have you had issues with? I'm thinking of getting one later this year but I thought the compatibility stuff was mostly ironed out.

Running bazel in docker does not work on M1s. I see larger projects still having M1 stuff on the roadmap, so I would not make any assumptions that everything will work with the normal bit of tinkering.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 22, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

thotsky posted:

Running bazel in docker does not work on M1s. I see larger projects still having M1 stuff on the roadmap, so I would not make the assumption that most issues can be fixed on your end like you might be used to.

Ah, that's too bad. I've pretty much given up on running Docker on MacOS though, it's so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
They just improved performance by like 98%

https://www.docker.com/blog/speed-boost-achievement-unlocked-on-docker-desktop-4-6-for-mac/

I didn’t run any tests myself because I don’t need to run a monolith locally. I’m blessed