Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

its all nice on rice posted:

Anyone around the PNW done mailbox peak around this time of year? The weather is supposed to clear up this weekend, and I was thinking of tackling it.
Mt Si was my original plan, but I've done it several times already. The most recent WTA reports & photos still show plenty of snow ice.
I have all the gear I'll need short of microspikes and snow baskets for my poles (which I can get easily enough before I go.)

Good chance you'll want spikes or some kind of traction but I bet there will be a ton of people going up there with the good forecast. The parking lot fills up early so don't sleep in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

testifeye posted:

Any recommendations for specific day hikes in and around Palm Springs/Joshua Tree? I backpacked the California Riding and Hiking Trail last time I was here, but now I’m back for more of daytime explorations. There’s so much it’s hard to narrow down!

I was just there!

The lost horse trail is a 6 mile loop that goes up to an old gold mine. North part of the loop is a lot of up, south part is all Joshua Trees and flat. The flat part is about a mile too long. If I were to do it again I’d go counter clockwise.

We did a bunch of scrambling and wandering around Split rock. Very grippy rocks makes for fun climbing, but bring gloves.

49 palms is a 3 miler down into an oasis. Very pretty.

Ryan mountain is a 3 miler up to the highest point in the park. Very nice views.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
you need spikes, at minimum

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Also if anyone has any must-know tips for snow/ice, I welcome them. It looks like I'm going to need to buy crampons and an ice axe. This is Paintbrush Divide in June lol

Few thoughts

1.) I'd strongly recommend taking an appropriate mountaineering course, and an avalanche safety course

2.) I'd also recommend joining an appropriate club. Alternatively, or in addition to that, If you can afford it, hiring a guide can be really helpful when learning this stuff (or when stepping into stuff above your current skill level). This can be pretty affordable, especially if the cost is split with a friend or two.

3.) Steep snow is terrain that can warrant a rope & protection, and it's probably unwise to solo it if inexperienced. Steep or even modestly angled ice is technical terrain and should not be attempted without rope & protection if you are not really experienced. Even with protection, lead falls on ice are seriously dangerous.

4.) Steep snow can be difficult terrain to protect adequately. It's also terrain where, depending on conditions, there is usually no really good way to arrest a slip that becomes a slide. I'm much less experienced than armorer (I think), but the worst fall I've ever taken in any kind of mountain sport was also on a steep snow slope. Safely approaching this kind of terrain requires many considerations and it's best to work up to it gradually so you can safely develop the needed skills & judgement.

I think when getting into this stuff, it's best to go as part of a group with experienced people, and once you have a little experience, stick to non-technical & non-glaciated mountaineering at modest angles with a partner, until you have lots of those under your belt. It's really more like rock climbing and less like hiking/backpacking, in that it isn't really well suited to a DIY approach.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm in the southeast, so it's not something I'm going to be able to do regularly. I'd like to, but I guess it's not realistic.

That picture makes it look a little more extreme than it does from other angles. There's a gradual climb until you reach a shelf. People divert from the trail there when there's snow and do the climb in the photo because it's easier. I changed my plans though so that we won't have to cross the divide between Cascade and Paintbrush. I want to push myself, but I don't like the uncertainty of that spot in June, and everyone in here is telling me I'm going to die.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm in the southeast, so it's not something I'm going to be able to do regularly. I'd like to, but I guess it's not realistic.

That picture makes it look a little more extreme than it does from other angles. There's a gradual climb until you reach a shelf. People divert from the trail there when there's snow and do the climb in the photo because it's easier. I changed my plans though so that we won't have to cross the divide between Cascade and Paintbrush. I want to push myself, but I don't like the uncertainty of that spot in June, and everyone in here is telling me I'm going to die.

Is it possible to pay a guiding company to take you up or something? They could supply the gear and keep you safe. Probably pretty expensive but cheaper than buying all the gear and getting the training yourself if you don't intend to do it frequently.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe, but the new route I reserved is still great and with none of the extra hassle. It's just an in-and-out through the same area rather than a loop. Yellowstone's early lottery for backcountry permits just opened, so I'm hoping I'll get a good one there too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Turns out Mrs. Rice wants our first trip to mailbox to be together, so I hit up Mt Si again yesterday.

Fantastic day for a hike. While it was a bit cold, the air was crisp, and it made for a great trip. Didn't hit any snow until about 3.25 miles up the trail. Luckily, the rocks at the top were (mostly) clear of snow, so scrambling over was easy.
The end of the trail was right at the top of the cloud layer. It made for an interesting mix between cold & sunbathing during lunch.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

this is a great shot

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Wow lol I snagged a JMT southbound permit out of Happy Isles on my first attempt this week. Hopefully the place won't be on fire in late August!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dang, congrats! I was planning on doing the JMT this year but still need more training, hope to do it in the next year or two.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

cerious posted:

Wow lol I snagged a JMT southbound permit out of Happy Isles on my first attempt this week. Hopefully the place won't be on fire in late August!

I applied 10 weeks in a row, did not get a spot and gave up this week! Congrats!

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Alamoduh posted:

I applied 10 weeks in a row, did not get a spot and gave up this week! Congrats!

Think I got your permit lol. Are you going to try for a northbound start instead? I think there are also walkups available for southbound but obviously you have to be there first.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A friend of mine has suggested we go on a relatively long-distance hike, like on the order of a week out there... I think the aim is "pretty long, but not so long we need to stage resupply drops".

I'm in the San Francisco area, he's in western Washington. He expects the summer to be pretty busy for him, so we're thinking about the spring or the fall. He's suggested PCT California section A for that reason, because at least it won't be snowed in if we go in late fall. I've pointed out that desert hiking is its own animal, and that we might not even be able to get water on the trail if it's not thru-hiker season.

Any other suggestions? I thought that perhaps section I in Washington might be more enjoyable, but that's probably only feasible in the summer. Something in central California or Washington state would be easiest for us to get to.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

cerious posted:

Think I got your permit lol. Are you going to try for a northbound start instead? I think there are also walkups available for southbound but obviously you have to be there first.

I don’t want to take a chance on walk up, so I’m going to do the last 400 miles of the AT.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pham Nuwen posted:

A friend of mine has suggested we go on a relatively long-distance hike, like on the order of a week out there... I think the aim is "pretty long, but not so long we need to stage resupply drops".

I'm in the San Francisco area, he's in western Washington. He expects the summer to be pretty busy for him, so we're thinking about the spring or the fall. He's suggested PCT California section A for that reason, because at least it won't be snowed in if we go in late fall. I've pointed out that desert hiking is its own animal, and that we might not even be able to get water on the trail if it's not thru-hiker season.

Any other suggestions? I thought that perhaps section I in Washington might be more enjoyable, but that's probably only feasible in the summer. Something in central California or Washington state would be easiest for us to get to.

There's some excellent multi-day hikes in the Sierra Nevadas worth checking out. I did a week in Kings Canyon with friends and it was wonderful.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

One of my favorite all time backpacking trips was 3 days in desolation wilderness in late September. I believe the recommendation came from this thread. We could have easily made it a 5 day trip.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Whats your fitness and backpacking experience level? Mineral King in Sequoia National Park is great. If you want something closer to the bay, you can easily snag permits starting out of Hoover Wilderness and go into northern Yosemite.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Did my first back packing trip of 2022 a few weeks ago, had some great weather.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Great view, where is that? Also, what tent are you using?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dick Ripple posted:

Great view, where is that? Also, what tent are you using?

Strathcona Provincial park on Vancouver Island. It is a MEC lightfield tent that has reached the end of its life or at least it needs some repairs. On this trip the glue failed on a few seems (and a window in the front vestibule fell out). Been trying to buy a MSR winter tent for a year or so now but covid etc has made finding gear insane.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Sierra Nevada is going to be full of snow in spring, and desert hiking for several days + no resupply often has you choosing between pretty boring routes or having to haul/cache shitloads of water.

Fall is generally a really good time to do the sierra, especially since the apocalyptic fire situation is usually better by late september/october. There are loads and loads of options

https://www.summitpost.org/eastern-sierra/154084

Is a good overview of major trailheads, but there are also some access points on the west side like mineral king, as mentioned already.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
edit: wrong thread, we're biking

Mauser fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 23, 2022

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

Mauser posted:

Has anyone done the trans-Virginia trail DC to Harrisonburg route? I'm trying to gauge how many days we'd need for that with one friend aiming to do it in three days, but I don't think the rest of us would be able to cover that much distance with packs in that time.

The other question a friend had was how clearly labeled is the route? My guess is that it would be hard to get lost on it, but he wasn't so sure.

Are you riding bikes or hiking? The map I have claims it is 215 miles so 3 days hiking seems unrealistic. I have hiked the C&O canal portion it is easy but the camping sites are pretty terrible. My first night I couldn't sleep because trains were constantly coming through and I just gave up around 2am and hiked on. That was closer to Harper's Ferry though and it looks like you get off the C&O at White's Ferry.

It looks like it is all road walking so if you just have a basic map you shouldn't have trouble staying on the route. I doubt they blaze trees or anything.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
oh man, I misread the thread title. We're biking it, gonna post this in the bike thread.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Have any of the Colorado peeps taken any of the local mountaineering classes? My wife and a friend would like to learn to use an ice axe, rope skills, avalanche safety so they can safely finish all the climbs in Colorado.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Going on my first hike Friday. It's short and fairly level, but i have poo poo for footwear for this kind of thing. Where is a good retail place to buy something in person? REI?

Edit: And are boots better than shoes?

LiterallyATomato fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 31, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have an REI close by I would suggest stopping by and talking to the people in the footwear area. I’ve found them very helpful and you can try on a few different styles to see what kind you like.

Type of shoe/boot comes down to personal preference. My wife likes trail runners/hiking shoes, I prefer mid height boots. That being said if it’s a regular hike on flat terrain, trail runners should be more than fine.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

LiterallyATomato posted:

Going on my first hike Friday. It's short and fairly level, but i have poo poo for footwear for this kind of thing. Where is a good retail place to buy something in person? REI?

Edit: And are boots better than shoes?

I prefer trail runners to boots when the conditions aren’t snowy. You might get a lot of differing opinions what is better but it’ll ultimately boil down mostly to personal preference. With trail runners I like the lightness, flexible sole and that my ankle can flex on uneven terrain.

Good socks are important no matter what footwear you use to keep your feet happy. I use Injinji toe socks or thin merino socks. Have fun on your first hike!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
While I generally suggest trail runners or boots for people, most short (0-5 miles round trip) and flat trails don't really even need special footwear unless you really want to buy something and you think you'll be getting into hiking a bit more. Shoes meant for hiking will obviously be nicer to wear but not always mandatory. Any running shoe will work fine especially if it has some decently chunky tread on the bottom. If it's raining, most shoes are going to get soaked, even most "waterproof" boots. My first ever hike in the mountains, I was here in Seattle visiting my sister when I was in high school long before I moved out here. I didn't have any hiking shoes so I went to Walmart and bought some cheap running shoes for $20. We did 8 miles and 1600 feet of elevation. I think it was sunny but there was shin deep snow at the lake. I made it, they worked, my feet survived. Most well trodden trails should be level and smooth enough to complete in any reasonable footwear.

3 years ago I came across a guy hiking the Pacific crest trail (2500 miles from Mexico to Canada borders) and was about a week or so from completion, near Stevens pass in Washington. He was 60 something years old, with a pretty small pack wearing Fila running shoes he found at payless shoes for $25. He had cut the toes off because he bought a few pairs at one time to ship ahead and accidentally bought one pair a size too small, not realizing his mistake until he picked them up at ranger station post office with nothing else to wear. "It was either wear my worn out shoes with half a sole and held together by duct tape, or modify these into sandals. Honestly they're kind of nice!" He said he started in nice boots and they destroyed his feet so he went to a cheap, comfortable running shoe and just bought more of them. He claimed each pair only lasted a few weeks but they felt good. His shirt had holes worn through the shoulders and hips where his pack straps rubbed through the fabric over 2300 miles. I offered him a Snickers, an orange, and a cold can of coke. He gladly accepted and we sat and chat for a while. Cool guy, did the whole PCT once back in the 70s before it was officially complete when he finished college. He just retired and wanted to do it again. He said it's crazy how much he remembered, but also how much is changed and how many people were on the trail today vs back then.

I digress.

Good footwear is highly recommended if you think you'll be hiking more, but if it's a one time and relatively mild thing, any athletic footwear will do. Merrell moabs (they make shoe and boot versions) are great for most people right out if the box. They're super comfortable, light, and have a great grippy sole with zero break in. They also come in waterproof or non waterproof versions. The other boot people like are the Salomon quests, they're beefier then the moabs but they're pricey. For shoes, there are a ton of options from Merrell, Saucony, Brooks, Adidas, Hoka, Altra, topo, salmon. Some have more cushion than others, some waterproof etc. If you're buying a low trail runner, I avoid goretex because you'll likely still get wet feet from over the top of the ankle cuff.

The biggest thing is shoes that fit your feet. Something that your heel is locked in the cup is important. If you go downhill, you don't want your toes slamming into the end of your shoe. That's how you lose toenails and get ingrown nails. Clip your toenails prior. Also, wool or synthetic socks are key. Cotton socks absorb sweat and stay wet. Moisture causes your foot skin to soften which makes it more delicate. Hot spots are points of friction where a part of the shoe is causing heat from friction which will eventually rub into a blister. Changing your lacing tension or pattern can help, as does moleskin liquid or blister tape.

Good luck. Stay hydrated. Bring snacks. Look around and enjoy. Also don't feel forced to talk the whole time. With a friend it might just happen regardless. Most of my favorite hikes have been solo and quiet where over been able to hear the birds, sneak up on wildlife, and hear glaciers cracking.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Have any of the Colorado peeps taken any of the local mountaineering classes? My wife and a friend would like to learn to use an ice axe, rope skills, avalanche safety so they can safely finish all the climbs in Colorado.
What do you mean by ‘safely finish all the climbs in Colorado’? The 14ers? Climbing 5.12 up the diamond on Longs in winter? Lots of available goals and different skills necessary for each.

IMO self instruction via YouTube plus practice at St Mary’s glacier or your favorite snowfield is probably adequate for using an ice axe. ‘Rope skills’ is a broad broad subject. Taking an intro course at a climbing gym on belaying and top roping is a good baseline and then a combination of in person instruction, book reading, and on the ground practice will get you towards what you want. Avalanche safety is probably most worth the money for a course especially if they want to get outside in the winter and ski. If they want to just climb mountains in the late spring early summer then some reading plus diligently checking the CAIC forecast will go a long ways.

My approach is definitely pretty DIY oriented. Nothing wrong with taking a whole class on everything if you want especially if starting from a minimal skills baseline. A friend of mine took a mountaineering course here and enjoyed it. As I understand it they met regularly for a couple months to cover the various topics above and then did a graduation climb to cap it off and use their skills. I don’t have any details about the provider or anything unfortunately.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Verman posted:

*Good advice*

Thank you! I am looking into getting into hiking, but I may try hiking shoes instead of boots based on what you and others have said. I'd like to get in better shape and eventually do tougher hikes to take some nice landscape photos.

Edit: I also live near Seattle. What's your favorite nearby location for hiking?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Verman posted:

3 years ago I came across a guy hiking the Pacific crest trail (2500 miles from Mexico to Canada borders) and was about a week or so from completion, near Stevens pass in Washington. He was 60 something years old, with a pretty small pack wearing Fila running shoes he found at payless shoes for $25. He had cut the toes off because he bought a few pairs at one time to ship ahead and accidentally bought one pair a size too small, not realizing his mistake until he picked them up at ranger station post office with nothing else to wear. "It was either wear my worn out shoes with half a sole and held together by duct tape, or modify these into sandals. Honestly they're kind of nice!" He said he started in nice boots and they destroyed his feet so he went to a cheap, comfortable running shoe and just bought more of them. He claimed each pair only lasted a few weeks but they felt good. His shirt had holes worn through the shoulders and hips where his pack straps rubbed through the fabric over 2300 miles. I offered him a Snickers, an orange, and a cold can of coke. He gladly accepted and we sat and chat for a while. Cool guy, did the whole PCT once back in the 70s before it was officially complete when he finished college. He just retired and wanted to do it again. He said it's crazy how much he remembered, but also how much is changed and how many people were on the trail today vs back then.

The biggest thing is shoes that fit your feet. Something that your heel is locked in the cup is important. If you go downhill, you don't want your toes slamming into the end of your shoe. That's how you lose toenails and get ingrown nails. Clip your toenails prior. Also, wool or synthetic socks are key. Cotton socks absorb sweat and stay wet. Moisture causes your foot skin to soften which makes it more delicate. Hot spots are points of friction where a part of the shoe is causing heat from friction which will eventually rub into a blister. Changing your lacing tension or pattern can help, as does moleskin liquid or blister tape.

Old dude kicks rear end...

I have a hell of a time finding boots that fit right, largely because my left foot is bigger than my right. I'm on the cusp of returning a pair of Lowa Renegades that felt right in the store but don't seem so hot after doing a few miles to break them in. Part of it is the toes: on a steep downhill, I do feel my toes touching the end of the shoe, although I wouldn't say they're slamming into it. It's also just about too narrow across the widest part of my left foot; I can feel a bit of pressure on the side of the ball of my foot and along the outside of my little toe. Of course the right foot feels perfectly fine, and I'm loath to go up a size or surely my right foot will just be floating around.

Maybe I should try some insoles before I return these...

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Edit: I also live near Seattle. What's your favorite nearby location for hiking?

What time of year? The snow is such a huge and changing factor up high throughout spring. The hikes somebody would recommend for April are way different than the hikes somebody would recommend for July.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

gohuskies posted:

What time of year? The snow is such a huge and changing factor up high throughout spring. The hikes somebody would recommend for April are way different than the hikes somebody would recommend for July.

I've got the month of April off work, so let's go with that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Verman posted:

So much shoe/boot poo poo
Thank you for all of this, I have weird feet in that they're flat and narrow at the heel but wide enough at the ball that narrow width doesn't work so my drat heel is always sliding around and I have the sock holes to prove it. What can I do (other than wear at least medium weight wool socks which I already do, I love my fluffy socks).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

LiterallyATomato posted:

Thank you! I am looking into getting into hiking, but I may try hiking shoes instead of boots based on what you and others have said. I'd like to get in better shape and eventually do tougher hikes to take some nice landscape photos.

If you want to get into hiking, we've got a few main areas in Seattle. In my opinion, an easy general rule of thumb is that the washington mountains get more extreme the further north you go BUT there are pretty gnarly hikes almost everywhere. Also, there are a lot of hikers in washington. If you want peace and solitude, and a parking spot, you need to get an early start. Hitting the trail by 7am will usually give you the best luck otherwise you might have to park further away and start your hike on the road. The only other way to get solitude is going during the week, going on longer or harder hikes, or driving further away from the city.

Olympics (olympic peninsula) which are super cool but take a bit to get there due to the driving. You can do everything from high alpine to rainforest and beach hiking.
I90 Corridor - Basically anything off i90 through snoqualmie pass. These are probably some of the most popular hikes simply because its a massive highway leading out of seattle. You can access a lot within 90 minutes of seattle off i90. Mt Si and Little Si are very popular.
Highway 2 corridor - North of i90, this is a smaller 2 lane highway that goes through skykomish. Wallace Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Barclay lake are all pretty easy/popular.
Mountain Loop Highway These hikes start getting pretty intense but its a great area. Heather lake, lake 22, and mt pilchuck are all on mt loop and not too long or difficult.
North Cascades highway This is further away from seattle but a ridiculously beautiful drive. You do start to get up into national park territory though so overnight stays start getting more complicated and its a bit of a drive for a day hike. Regardless, everybody should see artist point at mt baker.
Mt Rainier/Volcano Triangle Mt Rainier/Adams/St Helens is a cool area because you have three massive volcanoes pretty close to one another. Rainier is just massive and lots to do there. I like the glacier basin trial a lot because its hard to beat the payoff. Adams and St Helens are cool areas to see as well but I dont have any personal recommendation for easy hikes. Summit lake trail and bearhead mountain are also very cool trails.

All Trails and Washtinton Trail Association are huge helps. Their websites and apps are packed with info, maps, trip reports, reviews, photos etc. You can filter by length, elevation gain, what kind of scenery youll encounter, and the overall difficulty. Go huskies said it well, the weather/snow will dictate where you hike. Everything in the mountains above a few thousand feet will be buried in snow for a while, especially in the shaded forest areas, likely into june/july although we didn't have a great 2nd half of the season as far as a snow load. ke.

Passes - If you're driving and parking, you'll need to buy a state park pass, or a national forest pass depending on what land you're parking on. State park (discovery pass) is $30/year and covers all state land. You can typically pay per day at the trailhead which is usually like $5. National park/national forest passes can be more expensive but I find most of the places I hike are national forest land in washington. The America the beautiful pass is good for a year and its $80. It will get you free admission to any national park (Rainier, Olympic, North Cascades and any other NP around the country), monument, and any most if not all federal land. You can also get the northwest forest pass ($30) which will allow you to park on most national forest land in Washington and Oregon but you won't have access to national parks.

Lastly, while most of these trails are very well established and well trafficked, but look up the 10 essentials for hiking. A small backpack or fanny pack is often enough to carry everything you need. You don't need to go full rambo, but an extra layer, a small first aid kit, water, food, a lighter etc. Yeah, most day hikes are a granola bar and a bottle of water kind of thing, but nobody plans on an accident and the vast majority of "survival" scenarios come from people who weren't planning on being gone a long time, had an accident and were ill prepared. The most common *serious* injury is a sprained ankle from a minor slip. Even if you get help, it might take a while for them to be dispatched and get to you. Having extra snacks, water, an extra layer etc goes a long way. For true survival, like being lost for several days kind of thing, letting someone know where you are going and when you'll be back is huge. Also, leaving your itinerary face down in your car. Face down in case a thief doesn't see you'll be gone for a while but if you were actually lost and rescuers searched your vehicle, they could find it easily and know where you were headed. I usually only do this for backpacking trips, and I put a piece of paper with the words ITINERARY on my dashboard.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I have a hell of a time finding boots that fit right, largely because my left foot is bigger than my right. I do feel my toes touching the end of the shoe, although I wouldn't say they're slamming into it. It's also just about too narrow across the widest part of my left foot; I can feel a bit of pressure on the side of the ball of my foot and along the outside of my little toe. Of course the right foot feels perfectly fine, and I'm loath to go up a size or surely my right foot will just be floating around.

Maybe I should try some insoles before I return these...

Most
Insoles are always worth trying, I would look for something that you can modify. Equal thickness on both feet but maybe cut the one longer that you need to take up some of the toe room. You might also want to check in with an actual cobbler/boot fitter shop. They might be able to do something to help you out like custom footbeds or something, but its not like they can do too much to stretch out/elongate waterproof boots without sacrificing the integrity of the liner. Personally I would rather have one boot fit correctly and the other be slightly too large vs the other way around. I lost my big toenail because I thought my mountaineering boots fit *just* right, but a little snug on my larger foot. Come to find out, repeated kick steps are a great test to see if your boots are too small or not.

By your reply I'm guessing you bought them at REI. I used to feel bad about returning things after wearing them for a few months and they just didn't work out but now I realize, its their policy and its the way that its intended to be used.

Oracle posted:

Thank you for all of this, I have weird feet in that they're flat and narrow at the heel but wide enough at the ball that narrow width doesn't work so my drat heel is always sliding around and I have the sock holes to prove it. What can I do (other than wear at least medium weight wool socks which I already do, I love my fluffy socks).

Try using the heel locking holes in your shoes to secure your heel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tPGJ3-mxbY&t=18s

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 31, 2022

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anachronist posted:

What do you mean by ‘safely finish all the climbs in Colorado’? The 14ers? Climbing 5.12 up the diamond on Longs in winter? Lots of available goals and different skills necessary for each.

IMO self instruction via YouTube plus practice at St Mary’s glacier or your favorite snowfield is probably adequate for using an ice axe. ‘Rope skills’ is a broad broad subject. Taking an intro course at a climbing gym on belaying and top roping is a good baseline and then a combination of in person instruction, book reading, and on the ground practice will get you towards what you want. Avalanche safety is probably most worth the money for a course especially if they want to get outside in the winter and ski. If they want to just climb mountains in the late spring early summer then some reading plus diligently checking the CAIC forecast will go a long ways.

My approach is definitely pretty DIY oriented. Nothing wrong with taking a whole class on everything if you want especially if starting from a minimal skills baseline. A friend of mine took a mountaineering course here and enjoyed it. As I understand it they met regularly for a couple months to cover the various topics above and then did a graduation climb to cap it off and use their skills. I don’t have any details about the provider or anything unfortunately.

Yes I should have been more clear.

They are knocking out all of the fourteeners. They have time to hike and climb year around - aka stay at home hiker - and I would like her not to die while challenging herself to something beyond hiking.

I will send her on the mountaineering school search.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Shoe chat continued, I got the new Speedgoat 5s last weekend and they fixed all my complaints about the 4. The upper is more comfortable and shoe actually went down in weight. I haven’t hiked in them yet, but I’ve been tearing up the local urban techy running trails in them. This might be the best Speedgoat yet (EVO version currently holds that title).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

Shoe chat continued, I got the new Speedgoat 5s last weekend and they fixed all my complaints about the 4. The upper is more comfortable and shoe actually went down in weight. I haven’t hiked in them yet, but I’ve been tearing up the local urban techy running trails in them. This might be the best Speedgoat yet (EVO version currently holds that title).

Where did you find them in stock? I can’t deal with MaxTrac on Altras anymore. These things are a hazard.