Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

You can't spend over half the match flailing on your back uncontrollably and win just because you got one decent hit before burning out your weapon

2 decent hits! One before, one after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Hypershock did no damage and lost on control. p1 deserved that win. :colbert:

(More hypershock vs P1 spoilers) Yea, I'm no P1 fan, but they 100% got that win IMO. Even though it was mostly luck on the timing, they lifted their lifter at just the right time to give Hypershock the giant ramp that hosed them for the whole fight...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Riptide thoroughly beat the poo poo out of Shatter

Hypershock with a massive own goal, as is Hypershock tradition

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 18, 2022

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Qwijib0 posted:

If blip is working well, it’s almost the perfect bot-- it can take a bunch of damage without its weapon sticking out to take weapon to weapon damage.

if it loses the ground game to any vert spinner, then it's hosed

Borsche69 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 18, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rip that Omniwheel robot, done in by logistics

I want P1 to win now by doing nothing lmao

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fish Of Doom posted:

Also LOL I've been saying Glitch sucks and just got lucky all season and welp. See ya.

yeah exactly they were barely functional and barely actually making out to their fights. like i thought reliability and pit readiness was supposed to be a function the selection committee took into consideration? whatever! 9th seed!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Huge/Uppercut was a way better fight than what Mammoth did

Double KO!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

i'm on the glitch is cool and good team actually but big fuckin RIP for getting withdrawn. witch doctor got out clean

huge v uppercut was a fight i was dying for and i'm sad as hell it was recapped. even the double suicide would have been fun to see. same for the copperhead v lucky fight.

endgame doing its discount bite force thing and murdering everything it sees

bloodsport having their proud new blades murdered immediately was fun to see, although breaking both sides leading to them being stable again was actually hilarious

sawblaze giving me vibes similar to its son of wyachi fight where it just went loving ham and started ripping poo poo apart.

rip hypershock, it never scored

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Big forks are lame and boring

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

Fish Of Doom posted:

Copperhead and Lucky looked like a fun match, weird that we got to see Scorpios vs. Malice instead of that. Or the build to Witch Dr and Mammoth that felt like it went on for 10 minutes.

I feel like Shatter has beasically not existed this season with only 2 fights aired and it didn't look that great. Other than that I predicted every single fight correctly, so that's fun. Sawblaze and Hijinx was complete domination, loved seeing Hijinx's gearbox twitching around on the floor.

Also LOL I've been saying Glitch sucks and just got lucky all season and welp. See ya.

I said the same thing when they started to show the non televised fights, like wtf let us watch the good ones and not fluff.

I think its Copperhead's year.

edit: part of me thinks the non-televised fights don't contain the champ though because theater. :tinfoil:

PITT fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 18, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

(More hypershock vs P1 spoilers) Yea, I'm no P1 fan, but they 100% got that win IMO. Even though it was mostly luck on the timing, they lifted their lifter at just the right time to give Hypershock the giant ramp that hosed them for the whole fight...

Yeah I gotta say the decision to not put a self-righter on Hypershock was a fatal flaw, especially when their first tournament fight was against a flipper/control bot. I'm disappointed in the result but not surprised.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I gotta say the decision to not put a self-righter on Hypershock was a fatal flaw, especially when their first tournament fight was against a flipper/control bot. I'm disappointed in the result but not surprised.

i think they'd have been fine if they just made sure that the ears that they put on the hypershock that would've let them drive inverted were actually structurally sound. one ear got bent almost as soon as they went upside down and caused them to run on their disc, and then the second one also eventually went. i hate to poo poo on a bot like that, but its like they didn't drive it upside down at all - it didn't seem like it took any force at all to cause the ears to bend

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

i think they'd have been fine if they just made sure that the ears that they put on the hypershock that would've let them drive inverted were actually structurally sound. one ear got bent almost as soon as they went upside down and caused them to run on their disc, and then the second one also eventually went. i hate to poo poo on a bot like that, but its like they didn't drive it upside down at all - it didn't seem like it took any force at all to cause the ears to bend

they're only 3/16 ti, which it turns out isn't enough to handle the force from crashing into the wall. It's also comically thin for anything on a heavy.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I really wish they showed the whole Uppercut vs Huge fight.

I know a lot of it is down to luck and how aggressive the driver decides to be, but you can really see the range of how good the bots are from this episode. Skorpios went to town on Malice. Full aggression, non-stop. They used their weapon over and over and didn't to a ton of damage. Great show though. Then they fight Endgame and look like a chump. Sawblaze is a similar design, but they took it easy on HiJinx and still tore it apart.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TomR posted:

I really wish they showed the whole Uppercut vs Huge fight.

The two highlighted fights are supposed to be on YouTube Sunday.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Endgame is just on another level this year. 4 fights, 4 knockouts & their total fight time is just over 4 minutes for the season...

I'm rooting for Minotaur, but I'm not really sure anyone is going to be able to stop Endgame from getting another nut this season if nobody even gives them damage they have to repair between fights...

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

PITT posted:

This.

PITT posted:

edit: part of me thinks the non-televised fights don't contain the champ though because theater. :tinfoil:
But also this.

I wish they didn't have so much drama and filler, they'd easily get all the fights in. Its 90 minutes of TV and the fights last 3 minutes at most. How are they able to waste so much time?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Endgame is just on another level this year. 4 fights, 4 knockouts & their total fight time is just over 4 minutes for the season...

I'm rooting for Minotaur, but I'm not really sure anyone is going to be able to stop Endgame from getting another nut this season if nobody even gives them damage they have to repair between fights...

Punting Sawblaze out of the arena about 20 seconds into the fight was a hell of a way to plant their flag on this season and say "Come take it from us", that poo poo was crazy

Of course they're facing Minotaur next so their run might come to an abrupt end real soon :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It is fun to have a championship tournament where there are a few real contenders. Anything could happen.

Endgame likes to play defence and wait for the opponent to slip up. Seems like they are very good at keeping the deadly end pointed the right way.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PITT posted:

i feel like they have been pretty not great about telegraphing not only who are the likely winners of the tournament, but also even in individual fightnights. the episode where malice beat blacksmith was called flip the script and that was the first goddamn match.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the bounty hunters poo poo was not great either - anyone in bounty hunters was only in that because they were eliminated from the tournament. nice job guys

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'd prefer a way nerdier format that goes into the engineering and design process over the stupid mma whooping poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'd prefer a way nerdier format that goes into the engineering and design process over the stupid mma whooping poo poo.

I was watching some really old fights and the commentator kept saying poo poo like "[robot] will be starting from the red square and they've never had a winning bout starting from that side of the battle box" and it was dumb as hell

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Borsche69 posted:

the bounty hunters poo poo was not great either - anyone in bounty hunters was only in that because they were eliminated from the tournament. nice job guys

I have mixed feelings on this. Neither show actually telegraphed or spoiled this. It only was a spoiler if you actually dug into the show and filming schedule and found out they did the Bounty Hunter matches in the downtime between the tournament fights.

But also it was nice because they put the Bounty Hunter episodes up on Discovery Plus during the normal season, so I was able to cancel that subscription sooner than I will likely be able to this year...

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I could not believe how much time was wasted on the build up to Witch Doctor and Mammoth. They went on and on through like 2 commercials breaks like, "Will Witch Doctor be ready? Mammoth is so different!" and the Mammoth guy just making poo poo up.

Like yeah, we get it, Glitch sucks so here's Mammoth and Witch Doctor is going to destroy it in 30 seconds. That's why skipping two fights is even more baffling.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Didn't dude upthread say that they would be released in their entirety on youtube tomorrow?

Sounds like a marketing ploy to drive youtube traffic to the main show.

Why choose mammoth though? Get Blade or Lock-Jaw in there or something, they might actually have a shot

ante fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2022

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ante posted:

Didn't dude upthread say that they would be released in their entirety on youtube tomorrow?

Why choose mammoth though? Get Blade or Lock-Jaw in there or something, they might actually have a shot

It'd really be hard to justify a 0 win bot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ante posted:

It's most likely the producers were like, "Hey anybody have a bot still together and ready to fight?" And Ricky was like, "Hello! my bot goes together in like 5 minutes!"

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
And comes apart in 5 seconds.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Fights are up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgG8MjTRrec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2m0vGvVIlw

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
That lucky and copperhead fight was more entertaining than every fight in the last episode, why is it a youtube fight?!? :psyduck:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PITT posted:

I said the same thing when they started to show the non televised fights, like wtf let us watch the good ones and not fluff.

Man, there was one fight that was very obviously extraneous and I'm pretty psyched if it's inclusion means the winner is the eventual champ

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PITT posted:

That lucky and copperhead fight was more entertaining than every fight in the last episode, why is it a youtube fight?!? :psyduck:

They're both good, honestly. Uppercut was in danger with its anti-flip bar taken off so there was some good tension, it's surprising to see them both just get too jammed-up to continue.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Chronojam posted:

They're both good, honestly. Uppercut was in danger with its anti-flip bar taken off so there was some good tension, it's surprising to see them both just get too jammed-up to continue.

It is though teeth things all around the upper deck and battle box. several bots have been getting caught on them

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I want to see the score scards for Huge/Uppercut. Bit surprised it unanimous for Uppercut

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want to see the score scards for Huge/Uppercut. Bit surprised it unanimous for Uppercut

I'm pretty sure Uppercut did some serious damage to one of the back supports on Huge. If that is the case, even though Uppercut took some damage itself, that might be enough to tip the damage category, and there just wasn't enough in the control/aggression categories to outweigh it. The fight was too short.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I guess I can kinda see the logic. Uppercut fully rendered Huge nonfunctional, and Huge just knocked a self-righting bar off Uppercut and then it landed in a way that it couldn't move. But then again, breaking the ability to self-right and then flipping them is also making them nonfunctional, soooooo :shrug:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

PITT posted:

Gonna be generous and guess that they weren’t knockout fights and both took over ten minutes each including judge time. Both uppercut and copperhead should go far. They probably could have squeezed them in though.

Huge didn’t look mobile at the end, fwiw.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 20, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Otteration posted:

Huge didn’t look mobile at the end, fwiw.

It wasn't, there's a good recap from the team here: https://hugebattlebots.com/team-huge-battlebots-blog/huge-vs-uppercut-2021-fight-4-top-32

Also a hilarious fight preview at the bottom...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

sweet geek swag posted:

I'm pretty sure Uppercut did some serious damage to one of the back supports on Huge. If that is the case, even though Uppercut took some damage itself, that might be enough to tip the damage category, and there just wasn't enough in the control/aggression categories to outweigh it. The fight was too short.

because it was a double ko, both bots are technically nonfunctional. Doesn't help both bots were right next to each other and thus hard to see what exactly isn't working