Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
New strip

Love how confused Roy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I love characters acting reasonably and sensibly from their own perspective generating conflict with others doing the same.

It is one of the best strengths of this comic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ikanreed posted:

I love characters acting reasonably and sensibly from their own perspective generating conflict with others doing the same.

It is one of the best strengths of this comic
It really has been a great throughline. Almost every antagonist in OOTS is the philosophy of an alignment taken to the logical extreme.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I love how lost Roy is in all this. He makes a perfectly good point, but he doesn't have all the information we have to understand Serini's problems better. But it's slowly getting there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is nice of Rich to spend two months doing a comic to bring Roy to speed with what we already know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They really need to get to 'the gods are going to blow up the world dipshit'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah beating around the bush like they do is a little frustrating, but theres no real reason for serini to believe them about it is there?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZearothK posted:

It is nice of Rich to spend two months doing a comic to bring Roy to speed with what we already know.

Yeah it is not exactly charging along rn

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah beating around the bush like they do is a little frustrating, but theres no real reason for serini to believe them about it is there?

She's an epic rogue, I assume her sense-bullshit-ometer is off the scales? Like maybe Haley could bluff her but if all of the order seem to be telling the truth it's probably true.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 17, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not if she assumes Roy has some bullshit "get away witn lying to the rogue" feat. It wouldn't be the first time.

quote:

Redcloak: But which is more believable: that a powerful order of paladins—directly empowered by your gods to defend the very fabric of the universe—would deliberately ignore the status of 4 out of 5 locations that could threaten it?
Redcloak: Or that you simply have some obscure feat or class ability capable of fooling divination magic?

Redcloak: The latter requires only a single sourcebook that I haven't read...
Redcloak: ...while the former implies that generations of human paladins have willfully sabotaged their own ability to perform their duties for a silly promise.
Redcloak: Do you honestly expect me to believe such a ridiculous story?!?

Strip 546.

548 comfirms that Redcloak wasn't fully convinced until after saying this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It also would require her to be willing to be convinced she was not doing the correct thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gnoman posted:

Not if she assumes Roy has some bullshit "get away witn lying to the rogue" feat. It wouldn't be the first time.

True. But she largely doesn't seem to think they're liars, just dumbasses.

It's worth mentioning, at least.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MikeJF posted:

Honestly not sure that would even work on Serini. Her whole purpose in life is protecting the gates. If the gods destroy and remake the world to stop Redcloak, well, job well done, protected hers all the way to the end.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Honestly not sure that would even work on Serini. Her whole purpose in life is protecting the gates. If the gods destroy and remake the world to stop Redcloak, well, job well done, protected hers all the way to the end.

Nah the entire idea is that she feels like Xylon can't be beaten so it's better to let him have the gate for a while rather than risking it getting destroyed and the world ending.

She doesn't know that the gods are going to pull the plug on the world anyways if Xylon wins

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess another strategy for preserving the world in that case could be to assist Xykon to seize control of the gates and use the Snarl to kill the gods while the godsmoot is still deadlocked, but you would have to be an extremely short-sighted and spiteful halfling to do that.

Come to think of it, I think Serini probably has more allies we haven't seen yet that might get in the way of further explanations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dr Pepper posted:

Nah the entire idea is that she feels like Xylon can't be beaten so it's better to let him have the gate for a while rather than risking it getting destroyed and the world ending.

She doesn't know that the gods are going to pull the plug on the world anyways if Xylon wins

Serini is part of the original adventuring team and presumably knows everything that the gods know about the Snarl. If the Snarl escapes, the world doesn't just end, it's unmade. Even the gods destroying it to re-bind the Snarl would still result in many souls being consigned to oblivion. The gods blowing everything up just kills everyone and sends them to their respective afterlives (this is the entire point of Hel's gambit, all the dwarves who die this way will go to her because of the wager she made). It's a distinctly preferable fate, and plus, Serini's mission is to protect the Gates from being destroyed, not save the world. If the world ends with her Gate still standing, that's a W.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Serini is part of the original adventuring team and presumably knows everything that the gods know about the Snarl. If the Snarl escapes, the world doesn't just end, it's unmade. Even the gods destroying it to re-bind the Snarl would still result in many souls being consigned to oblivion. The gods blowing everything up just kills everyone and sends them to their respective afterlives (this is the entire point of Hel's gambit, all the dwarves who die this way will go to her because of the wager she made). It's a distinctly preferable fate, and plus, Serini's mission is to protect the Gates from being destroyed, not save the world. If the world ends with her Gate still standing, that's a W.

Serini doesn't know about the millions of worlds that came before, right?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure Serini knows about as much as The Secret Lore of the Sapphire Guard. Probably not up to speed on the Godsmoot, definitely none of the poo poo only Durkon was told.

E: v also important

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 17, 2022

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
…and nothing at all about the world-within-the-rift, which only the oots crew know about.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was under the impression that if the Gods destroy the world, all the souls will be safe. They'll have time to gather up all the souls then gather back up the fragments of Creation and use them to once again ensnare the Snarl.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was under the impression that if the Gods destroy the world, all the souls will be safe. They'll have time to gather up all the souls then gather back up the fragments of Creation and use them to once again ensnare the Snarl.

The souls are ‘safe’, though as things stand the dwarves will (nearly) all end up going to Hel, and the dark one isn’t expected to survive, so the chance to build a permanent prison for the snarl would be lost.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DoctorTristan posted:

The souls are ‘safe’, though as things stand the dwarves will (nearly) all end up going to Hel, and the dark one isn’t expected to survive, so the chance to build a permanent prison for the snarl would be lost.

Yeah, the gods who think they can have another new god rise are honestly some of the cruelest gods thinking about how the Dark One actually came into being

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Regardless of the fate of everybody's eternal souls, everybody in the world dying and being destroyed so the world has to begin anew is still bad. Better than everybody going into oblivion and there being no universe forevermore, which is what Redcloak's plan will bring, but still bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MikeJF posted:

She's an epic rogue, I assume her sense-bullshit-ometer is off the scales? Like maybe Haley could bluff her but if all of the order seem to be telling the truth it's probably true.

Okay but consider rich writes them like real people instead of stat blocks

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was also that thing with Haley's dad where his paranoia left him unable to believe her about Elan, and the fact that she was trying to tell him the truth instead of bluffing meant that it was even harder to convince him. Expert lying doesn't help with truth telling.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Dr Pepper posted:

Given that it's been brought up repeatedly at this point, it seems like the core problem is that Serini thinks that beating Xykon is impossible. She feels that a fight with Xykon only has two possible outcomes: Xykon killing everyone who challenges him, or the Gate being destroyed as a side effect of the fight. It doesn't help that she knows quite well that both the paladins and the Order have failed to beat Xykon and been willing to destroy the Gates in order to keep them from villains.

Even if they tell her about the gods being ready to destroy the world to keep Redcloak away from the Gate, she won't believe them easily. Not just because distrust is practically a rogue class feature in OOTS, but because she can't accept it. Her whole approach here is informed by the fact that she knows she can't take Xykon, and she's pretty drat sure there's no one else out there who can either. Everything else is just reasoning backwards from that to come up with a solution where she can tell herself she's defending the Gates without getting herself killed by Xykon. She needs it to be okay for Xykon to take the Gate, because she's concluded from the start that defeating Xykon is impossible.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if Kraagor being a dwarf and all the dwarves getting turbo hosed by Hel has any part in convincing Serini.

Yes, she is brutally logical, but I think getting her to help the Order will involve getting some feelings shoved into her perfect equation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kraagor himself won't be caught in the Hel deal, though, he's either already in Valhalla or dissolved by the Snarl. (Probably the latter?)

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
he got sealed in there alive and pulled a Durkon on the Snarl. That's Oops All Dwarves World on the other side of the rift

thighlandertwo
Jan 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vizuyos posted:

Given that it's been brought up repeatedly at this point, it seems like the core problem is that Serini thinks that beating Xykon is impossible. She feels that a fight with Xykon only has two possible outcomes: Xykon killing everyone who challenges him, or the Gate being destroyed as a side effect of the fight. It doesn't help that she knows quite well that both the paladins and the Order have failed to beat Xykon and been willing to destroy the Gates in order to keep them from villains.

Even if they tell her about the gods being ready to destroy the world to keep Redcloak away from the Gate, she won't believe them easily. Not just because distrust is practically a rogue class feature in OOTS, but because she can't accept it. Her whole approach here is informed by the fact that she knows she can't take Xykon, and she's pretty drat sure there's no one else out there who can either. Everything else is just reasoning backwards from that to come up with a solution where she can tell herself she's defending the Gates without getting herself killed by Xykon. She needs it to be okay for Xykon to take the Gate, because she's concluded from the start that defeating Xykon is impossible.

Convincing Sirini really is an important warm-up to winning over Redcloak, considering how badly that went the first go round. Just in this case its about breaking through despair rather than pride.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thighlandertwo posted:

Convincing Sirini really is an important warm-up to winning over Redcloak, considering how badly that went the first go round. Just in this case its about breaking through despair rather than pride.

Oh, good catch

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Is there any in-universe reason to think that Serini is wrong in her assessment of Xykons strength? Given his history, it seems like a reasonable belief to me.
We the readers know that because Xykon is the villain in a story, the OotS will beat him in the end, but the characters themselves can’t rely on that (other than Elan and his dad, of course)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zetetica posted:

Is there any in-universe reason to think that Serini is wrong in her assessment of Xykons strength? Given his history, it seems like a reasonable belief to me.
We the readers know that because Xykon is the villain in a story, the OotS will beat him in the end, but the characters themselves can’t rely on that (other than Elan and his dad, of course)

Kinda sorta. Like, Xykon has been beaten before in this comic. Twice! He’s clearly not unstoppable.

In a vacuum he should win against the Order but fights do not happen in a vacuum.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kinda sorta. Like, Xykon has been beaten before in this comic. Twice! He’s clearly not unstoppable.

In a vacuum he should win against the Order but fights do not happen in a vacuum.

He was also comprehensively beaten right before he became a lich. Like, so thoroughly beaten that if it wasn't for Redcloak, there was no conceivable way for him to turn things around. He's just been phenomenally lucky that a) he had a deus ex machina, b) the guy trying to kill him didn't understand lich rules. c) Miko really, really sucked.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Zetetica posted:

The Order beat him at the Dungeon of Dorukan, but hopefully Serini wasn't scrying on that, because knowing exactly why that particular Gate was destroyed would be an extremely negative mark against the Order's trustworthiness.

Other than that, the only time the Order has managed to clash with Xykon in any meaningful way was at Azure City, where Xykon effortlessly swept through all the living defenders, including both the Order of the Stick and the entire Sapphire Guard. Soon Kim's legion of ghost-paladins did kick Xykon's rear end pretty hard, but they're gone now because (once again) someone destroyed the Gate when they didn't need to, and Serini pretty clearly doesn't think she has anything on that level.

There's also the fact that the Order wrecked Girard's Gate because they'd gotten their asses kicked hard enough by the Linear Guild Featuring Tarquin that they didn't think they could even defend the Gate from the Guild, let alone from Xykon. Even though Roy's been generally confident about their chances of taking on Xykon, they couldn't even reliably handle Tarquin and friends, who were strong but definitely not on Xykon's level.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vizuyos posted:

The Order beat him at the Dungeon of Dorukan, but hopefully Serini wasn't scrying on that, because knowing exactly why that particular Gate was destroyed would be an extremely negative mark against the Order's trustworthiness.

Other than that, the only time the Order has managed to clash with Xykon in any meaningful way was at Azure City, where Xykon effortlessly swept through all the living defenders, including both the Order of the Stick and the entire Sapphire Guard. Soon Kim's legion of ghost-paladins did kick Xykon's rear end pretty hard, but they're gone now because (once again) someone destroyed the Gate when they didn't need to, and Serini pretty clearly doesn't think she has anything on that level.

There's also the fact that the Order wrecked Girard's Gate because they'd gotten their asses kicked hard enough by the Linear Guild Featuring Tarquin that they didn't think they could even defend the Gate from the Guild, let alone from Xykon. Even though Roy's been generally confident about their chances of taking on Xykon, they couldn't even reliably handle Tarquin and friends, who were strong but definitely not on Xykon's level.

Azure City had a few disadvantages for the Order, though.

1) It wasn't a "party goes into the dungeon to kick something's rear end", but a full-scale siege with multiple fronts and the Order divided. This would be proper Order vs Evil.

2) It wasn't "Order vs. Team Evil", it was Xykon vs Roy, in a situation where Roy had plentiful disadvantages such as "not having a zombie dragon" and "not being able to fly". While Team Evil might be doing some Batman-level prepping right now (even if that is out of characater), the advantages are not likely to be as insanely stacked as Azure City.

3) It was largely low-level paladins directly guarding the gate, who are no match for an already-epic wizard.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Xykon can barely be bothered to remember that Roy exists. No way he has any specific planning for the order of the stick. But the order is planning for xykon very specifically. It will make sense when they win.

I like how team evil represents the kind of power gaming that works to establish raw personal power. An epic level sorcerer lich who made synergistic magic items. A very high level cleric with an artifact. Some broken monster from a poorly thought out splat book. Meanwhile everyone in the order of the stick feels like a character made mainly to have fun.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Xykon’s biggest strength, other than his absurd raw power level, is people underestimating him. He absolutely has a Batman gambit he’ll pull out when he appears to be losing, and the Order will deserve their victory when, unlike everyone who posed a threat to Xykon in the past, they planned for that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Xykon’s biggest strength, other than his absurd raw power level, is people underestimating him. He absolutely has a Batman gambit he’ll pull out when he appears to be losing, and the Order will deserve their victory when, unlike everyone who posed a threat to Xykon in the past, they planned for that.
We even have foreshadowing for it ever since O-Chul gave Roy Xykon's spell list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Zulily and GDE make good and correct points, and another reason to think the Order can/will in fact beat Xykon is the preview of Roy's puissance vs evil undead spellcasters we saw when he took on Durkula (as someone observed long ago upthread).