Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

dexter6 posted:

I’m a 37/M and I’ve never been a big reader. I somehow got through highschool and college by just paying attention in class and reading the cliff’s notes.

As a result, I don’t read very well. I read forums and articles but anything longer and my ADD kicks in.

At one point, I read a lot of the Harry Bosch novels but I found them all to be super slow until the last 25% and then the story picked up. It would take me months to read one book. And over the last 3 or so years I’ve really found any story that glorifies cops as pretty distasteful.

The only book in recent history that I found engaging and actually made time to read was Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson.

In general I consider myself a tech geek, I love music and I watch a lot of YouTube videos about technology, engineering, transportation, etc. But I’m a weird nerd who doesn’t really like sci-fi or fantasy (never got into Harry Potter or LOTR).

But, I really want to become a good reader. I would love to read for an hour or two a day instead of just watching TV or playing sudoku. (Side note: it takes something really interesting on TV for me to not be multitasking, too…)

Pls help me become a reader!

(Or maybe I just need Adderall?)

If you liked Just Mercy why not try some early Grisham like A Time to Kill or The Firm. Maybe legal thrillers are your thing! He wrote some great ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I've been really enjoying a reread of The Count of Monte Cristo, and I'd like to go through the D'Artagnan romances and/or other books by Dumas. Are there particular English editions which are well regarded?

I'd like to avoid mediocre translation, and if possible I'd really like to buy hardcover. If there are other of his stories I should read too, I'm open to that as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sarern posted:

I've been really enjoying a reread of The Count of Monte Cristo, and I'd like to go through the D'Artagnan romances and/or other books by Dumas. Are there particular English editions which are well regarded?

I'd like to avoid mediocre translation, and if possible I'd really like to buy hardcover. If there are other of his stories I should read too, I'm open to that as well.

Are you reading the modern translation of Count? It was retranslated in -- I think the 90s? -- and all prior translations cut out the drug use among other things.

If you got the drug trip ending you read the modern one.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are you reading the modern translation of Count? It was retranslated in -- I think the 90s? -- and all prior translations cut out the drug use among other things.

If you got the drug trip ending you read the modern one.

I'm only about 400 pages in but there've been a lot of glowing mentions of hashish and a combination of opium and hashish, so it sounds like the ebook is modern. I'm on an ebook version though, and still a fan of physical books so I want to get good translations to add to my hoard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sarern posted:

I'm only about 400 pages in but there've been a lot of glowing mentions of hashish and a combination of opium and hashish, so it sounds like the ebook is modern. I'm on an ebook version though, and still a fan of physical books so I want to get good translations to add to my hoard.

See if it's the Robin Buss / Penguin Classics translation from 1996.

https://welovetranslations.com/2018/12/11/whats-the-best-translation-of-the-count-of-monte-cristo/#translator-5

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Has anyone written Karl May -style adventure books in this millennium? Or hell, even at the end of the previous one? Only without the old-timey racism and all that.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
What are some entertaining nonfiction books about controversies in science and academia? Such as The Linguistics Wars by Randy Allen Harris (the new edition of which is on my to-read list). I'm primarily interested in stuff related to linguistics, cognition/neuroscience, and biology, but other fields are welcome too if the more technical aspects are explained in a way accessible to the general reader.

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 3, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There simply must be a good book about the Bone Wars.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ScienceSeagull posted:

What are some entertaining nonfiction books about controversies in science and academia? Such as The Linguistics Wars by Randy Allen Harris (the new edition of which is on my to-read list). I'm primarily interested in stuff related to linguistics, cognition/neuroscience, and biology, but other fields are welcome too if the more technical aspects are explained in a way accessible to the general reader.

Jesus christ, my degree is in linguistics so that sounds interesting and I took a look, and the EBOOK version is $55!?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ScienceSeagull posted:

You might like DFW’s essay on the Dictionary Wars that’s in Consider the Lobster. I think it’s 100 pages or so?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Franchescanado posted:

You might like DFW’s essay on the Dictionary Wars that’s in Consider the Lobster. I think it’s 100 pages or so?

this one?
https://genius.com/David-foster-wallace-tense-present-democracy-english-and-the-wars-over-usage-annotated

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Yes, but he edited it more for the book. This is the version from the book: Authority and American Usage

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I recently read Redemption's Blade which scratched an itch I didn't know I had. I've read lots of fantasy books and experienced many Hero(ine)'s Journeys that end the book in success (or a messy version of success). This book explored what happens after the journey is over and the Big Bad is vanquished. Things don't immediately get better, and the world is still hosed up. I really dug that premise and enjoyed the exploration of the complexities of a world re-building after the ultimate evil was removed.

I'm sure this exists in many novels, but I'm not sure where to start. Any recommendations?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I recently read Redemption's Blade which scratched an itch I didn't know I had. I've read lots of fantasy books and experienced many Hero(ine)'s Journeys that end the book in success (or a messy version of success). This book explored what happens after the journey is over and the Big Bad is vanquished. Things don't immediately get better, and the world is still hosed up. I really dug that premise and enjoyed the exploration of the complexities of a world re-building after the ultimate evil was removed.

I'm sure this exists in many novels, but I'm not sure where to start. Any recommendations?

The first half of the second of Justin Cronin’s vampire books (the twelve?) has a similar vibe.

Otherwise a total turd though, imo.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

This is explicitly the theme of the second book in the Dune series, Dune Messiah. The first book is a classic Hero's Journey, and a lot of people get really turned off by Messiah, which is about (without any explicit spoilers) the character(s) from the first book being essentially demoralized while grappling with the political and philosophical ramifications of what they've achieved. Books 3 and 4 are about implementing the progressively grander scale political and philosophical solutions to what is learned in book 2. This is why, while everyone has their own personal recommendations, my recommendation is to either read book 1 (for the classic Hero's Journey experience) or books 1-4 (for the full thematic cycle). Books 5+ and other associated semi-sequels are trash.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lewd Mangabey posted:

This is explicitly the theme of the second book in the Dune series, Dune Messiah. The first book is a classic Hero's Journey, and a lot of people get really turned off by Messiah, which is about (without any explicit spoilers) the character(s) from the first book being essentially demoralized while grappling with the political and philosophical ramifications of what they've achieved. Books 3 and 4 are about implementing the progressively grander scale political and philosophical solutions to what is learned in book 2. This is why, while everyone has their own personal recommendations, my recommendation is to either read book 1 (for the classic Hero's Journey experience) or books 1-4 (for the full thematic cycle). Books 5+ and other associated semi-sequels are trash.

:hmmyes:
Messiah and Children of Dune are some pretty big downers but they also set up God Emperor, which is totally loving bonkers but also the capstone of the series, bringing all the philosophy and long-term plots of the other books together. So you get not just the "what comes after the hero's journey" but also what comes after what comes after. Dune is great but those first 4 books combined really show Herbert's genius and imagination.

I stopped reading after God Emperor and never regretted it. It's an incredible quartet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Eason the Fifth posted:

Messiah and Children of Dune are some pretty big downers but they also set up God Emperor, which is totally loving bonkers but also the capstone of the series, bringing all the philosophy and long-term plots of the other books together. So you get not just the "what comes after the hero's journey" but also what comes after what comes after. Dune is great but those first 4 books combined really show Herbert's genius and imagination.

I stopped reading after God Emperor and never regretted it. It's an incredible quartet.

The trend towards increasing horniness continues in the fifth and sixth books. Not bad

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The first Mistborn trilogy is explicitly about this. The hero won and was basically all-powerful, as the hero is wont to be. And then needed to do bad things in the name of the greater good. And then the line gets blurred. And then Mistborn book 1 starts. (Book 1 via publishing order, The Final Empire)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm looking for a good scifi book that involves life on, or exploration of, a generation ship. The idea of Space Archaeology fascinates me. Something like Rendezvous with Rama but on a generation ship would be cool.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Annath posted:

I'm looking for a good scifi book that involves life on, or exploration of, a generation ship. The idea of Space Archaeology fascinates me. Something like Rendezvous with Rama but on a generation ship would be cool.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for any fiction by Indigenous Australian authors. I'd be particularly interested in Indigenous Futurism from one of those authors.

Annath posted:

I'd recommend:

The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley
Children of Time (a sub-plot throughout takes place on a generation ship) by Adrian Tchaikovsky
Dust by Elizabeth Bear

In that order. :)

Oh and Tao Zero for that classic Sci Fi vibe.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 8, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Thanks for the recommendations, thread! I've had Mistborn on my "To Read" list for awhile, so I think I'll bump it up. I read Dune in high school, and I honestly don't remember very much of it other than the painful hand box thing and riding giant sandworms. Maybe I'll give it another go and potentially continue into the sequels.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Annath posted:

The Dark Beyond the Stars, by Frank M. Robinson.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think once I finish this Studs Terkel book and the last of the original Earthsea trilogy I'm going to start on the first four Dune books.

I've always LOVED the first book, probably read it about 3-4 times at this point but never went beyond there. Going to make the effort this time to read at least the first sequel.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Can anyone recommend a good secular book about the historicity of Jesus? I specify "secular" because I'm not really looking for anything trying to confirm or deny Jesus's divinity, more of a discussion on what we know in terms of facts and contemporary records.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Can anyone recommend a good secular book about the historicity of Jesus? I specify "secular" because I'm not really looking for anything trying to confirm or deny Jesus's divinity, more of a discussion on what we know in terms of facts and contemporary records.

I enjoyed Reza Aslan's Zealot, but I don't know if that's quite what you're looking for -- it's more a biography of the historical Jesus.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Antivehicular posted:

Did Jesus Exist? by Bart Ehrman might be what you are looking for. The book comes down strongly in favor of "yes" to the question in the title (which is the overwhelming academic consensus), so its not a balanced presentation of arguments, but it does pretty thoroughly cover the evidence about the topic. Ehrman is a secular scholar, and the book is mostly unconcerned with whether Jesus was divine or not, just whether he existed and what evidence we have for that question.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If the overwhelming academic consensus is yes, then a yes seems pretty balanced to me. Balance isn't artificially weighting the fringe.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which version of Les Fleurs du Mal is recommended? I'm looking for an eng/fr copy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PRADA SLUT posted:

Which version of Les Fleurs du Mal is recommended? I'm looking for an eng/fr copy.

Edna St. Vincent Millay translation. By far.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Antivehicular posted:

My Jesus loving wife bought me Person of Interest. Written by a former atheist homicide detective who searches the evidence for proof of Jesus. He becomes a believer but it's pretty secular. At least the first half is...Haven't finished it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Person-Inter...ps%2C257&sr=8-5

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
28 years old and never knew much about the Cold War until I started picking up an interest in current day geopolitics. Are there any good recommendations for books that cover the proxy wars and regional conflicts that resulted from the decolonization of Africa and the subsequent efforts by western and soviet powers to influence the local situations? The gist that I've come away with from dipping my toes into this history is that the 70s and 80s were loving insane.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

There a fun book on the Qanon bullshit yet?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

28 years old and never knew much about the Cold War until I started picking up an interest in current day geopolitics. Are there any good recommendations for books that cover the proxy wars and regional conflicts that resulted from the decolonization of Africa and the subsequent efforts by western and soviet powers to influence the local situations? The gist that I've come away with from dipping my toes into this history is that the 70s and 80s were loving insane.

All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer is an excellent book about the first US-backed coup of the Cold War
Empire's Workshop by Greg Grandin is an overview of American meddling in Latin America throughout the 20th century, which gives you a better perspective than just focusing on the Cold War era.

Not a book, but the second season of the podcast Blowback is all about America's relationship with Cuba, especially after the Revolution. It's really great.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Arc Hammer posted:

"The Savage Wars of Peace" by Max Boot is pretty good, It's been revised and updated recently, I read it 30 odd years ago but I remember enjoying it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

The Fate of Africa is very good. Big continent-wide history of independence.

It’s less a history of the Cold War than a history of colonialism but same genre imo: The Open Veins of Latin America is amazing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Technically outside of the cold war but perhaps the best milhist book I've read recently was Dancing In The Glory of Monsters, which I think did a great job of showing how the consequences of cold war neocolonialism (here more the US and France than the US and USSR) made peace a seeming impossibility while also not falling into the incredibly common patronizing racism of attributing all action and rationality to the white people in the story. As much as the US and France and Belgium all created a miserable context for the people of central Africa, it is still an African story.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Arc Hammer posted:

I have two on my two read pile: The Assassination of Lumumba and Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa, both on the Congo specifically.

Congo got weird in Cold War intrigue, dragging into the topic such luminaries as Che Guevara, Luis Armstrong, and Dag Hammarskjold

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm interested in finding a sci-fi horror book, something in the vein of Alien. It's a surprisingly sparse niche as far as I've been able to tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Stephen King has some, most notably Tommyknockers. And IT is technically an alien and closer to feel to Alien although calling it science fiction is a stretch. My personal favorite of his, Revival, is probably science fiction as well, at least technically. And I guess technically there are aliens too.

Maybe Michael Crichton - Sphere