Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

Most Thai food was developed around the 30s as a weird national project and the Thai government has put work into pushing and regulating Thai food abroad even through all the coups.

*Verhoeven-esque news broadcast* Yes, I would like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sekhmnet posted:

I think that's only true of Pad Thai specifically? Which was created for a contest type thing

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

It's three ingredients you sick fucks.

It's three ingredients plus a clean frying pan. That you'll have to wash again afterwards! Who has time for that in our lazy busy lives!

I suppose it could be useful for children. If you have kids that are old enough to use to the toaster alone but you don't want them messing with the stove.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Extra heavy mayo sounds ok if it doesn’t get drippy and gross.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Extra heavy mayo sounds ok if it doesn’t get drippy and gross.

You know it has to separate in those buckets, just all that lovely oil floating to the top.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ken’s makes good stuff though. I’d give it a try if it was available in a less than 4 gallon size.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Ken’s makes good stuff though. I’d give it a try if it was available in a less than 4 gallon size.

You need to make a commitment to experience Extra Heavy Mayonnaise. It's not for lightweights.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

I suppose it could be useful for children. If you have kids that are old enough to use to the toaster alone but you don't want them messing with the stove.

That is probably what the target users are. I was a latchkey kid and I still have a weird fondness for microwaved hamburgers. Specifically this brand: I could use the microwave/toaster oven but not the oven or stovetop.

If I want to 'grill a cheese' I just put mustard on some bread, slice whatever cheese I have and toast it in a dry cast iron with a cover on to help the cheese melt. Butter and/or mayo is fancy style; but the mayo I have is the mayo I buy to make club sandwiches once a year and it's probably gone bad, and butter takes a long time to soften enough to spread. Paraphrasing from a terrible Stephen King book: Dreamcatcher "You could melt the butter in the pan and fry the sandwich in that, but somehow it just isn't the same as spreading it on the bread first".

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Sekhmnet posted:

That is probably what the target users are. I was a latchkey kid and I still have a weird fondness for microwaved hamburgers. Specifically this brand: I could use the microwave/toaster oven but not the oven or stovetop.

Those drat things. They are NOT good. But yet, pure nostalgia biting into that oddly textured “beef”…

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Those drat things. They are NOT good. But yet, pure nostalgia biting into that oddly textured “beef”…

And the microwaved bun being randomly soft and hard as you work through it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
reply, edit, etc.

Fighting Trousers has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Mar 17, 2022

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I think that's only true of Pad Thai specifically? Which was created for a contest type thing

Sort of!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/who-invented-pad-thai

quote:

AS WORLD WAR II APPROACHED, Thailand was in a precarious position. For years, the country’s leaders had clutched their independence closely, worried about the French and English, who had colonized neighboring Cambodia, Laos, and Burma. Now, Japan was expanding imperially into East Asia, having invaded China in 1937.

In response, Plaek Phibunsongkhram’s government took action. As part of a national campaign called “Noodle is Your Lunch,” the Public Welfare Department gave Thais free noodle carts and distributed recipes for a new national dish: pad Thai.

Phibun believed that a strong national culture, including pad Thai, was key to Thailand remaining independent. Thailand was surrounded by colonies that European powers had justified on the basis of civilizing and modernizing their populations. Plus, Japan, which coveted control of natural resources, was creating an empire in East Asia. “We must be as cultured as other nations,” Phibun told his ministers in a speech. Otherwise, “Thailand would be helpless and soon become colonized. But if we were highly cultured, we would be able to uphold our integrity, independence, and keep everything to ourselves.”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sekhmnet posted:

Yeah, Thailand had a dictator that pulled an inverse of Mussolini trying to convert noodle-eating Italians to rice, except it actually worked. But also:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/paxadz/the-surprising-reason-that-there-are-so-many-thai-restaurants-in-america

That's about the ways in which Thailand worked to train and help fund people to set up Thai restaurants abroad, and even continually certify them for quality in the hopes of extending some kind of "soft power" by putting the idea of Thai in the minds of people around the world. And I think it has worked a fair amount. There's even two shows on the Disney channel right now about Thai-American families.

That also reminds me of another far east nation that somehow ended up adding noodles to their cuisine and now have started exporting it around: The Philippines. I'm not sure how, probably something from during the American occupation, but they picked up a taste for spaghetti, and that led to the rise of a Filipino fast food chain that serves spaghetti, Jollibee, which only has 60 locations in the US, but they bought up a number of other fast food franchises and are the biggest fast food company based in Asia. They also own Smashburger.

Anyways, fast food spaghetti just don't seem right.

McD's also has its own McSpaghetti that I think it developed at around the time it expanded into the Philippines in order to appeal to the locals.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I remember a chain called "Fazoli's" that was drive through Italian. They had decent breadsticks(it's hard to gently caress up garlic butter) but they suffered from an Olive Garden short sightedness of 'we don't salt the pasta water'. You could get a bucket of spaghetti, family style, like KFC but.. pasta. They still kind of exist but I haven't seen one in ages.

I would really like to try Jollibees though, they sound like a not-buffet and drive through friendly version of sizzler.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Fazolis is still around, I saw one a couple weeks ago

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are a fair number of "traditional" cuisines that are super recent. Like basically all Japanese food is either from Meiji or the immediate post-war. Edomae sushi only became popular because of how the rice rationing system worked after WW2, for example. Ramen also became a thing because of finding something to do with all the wheat flour the US provided as food aid.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
not sure if it was itt that someone recommended the hazelnut Bamba peanut snacks...I just had some of them mfers and they're so drat good!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a fair number of "traditional" cuisines that are super recent. Like basically all Japanese food is either from Meiji or the immediate post-war. Edomae sushi only became popular because of how the rice rationing system worked after WW2, for example. Ramen also became a thing because of finding something to do with all the wheat flour the US provided as food aid.

To say nothing of course (on a bit longer timeline) of all the European "traditional" cuisines that depend on New World crops like tomatoes and potatoes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Can you really say any cuisine that incorporates dairy products is "traditional" when cattle was only domesticated like 10000 years ago?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sekhmnet posted:

I would really like to try Jollibees though, they sound like a not-buffet and drive through friendly version of sizzler.
To my surprise, we're getting one not far at all from where I live here in metro Detroit, in an old Denny's; it might already be open. I'm eager to try it, too!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sekhmnet posted:

I remember a chain called "Fazoli's" that was drive through Italian. They had decent breadsticks(it's hard to gently caress up garlic butter) but they suffered from an Olive Garden short sightedness of 'we don't salt the pasta water'. You could get a bucket of spaghetti, family style, like KFC but.. pasta. They still kind of exist but I haven't seen one in ages.

I forgot about Fazoli's, one opened up in my hometown a few years before I moved away for college and I liked it back then. Basically just an easy way to load up on pasta and bread, I want to say they had some kind of weekly all-you-can-eat special on some basic dishes?

Looks like that location is gone, but there's still quite a few around the state and I'm surrounding ones, so I guess they're doing ok.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

and when we finally made it back to cave, our cheeks flushed with laughter and cold, there was root waiting for us.

Dig an root and eat it. YES A RAW, No Salt, pepepr. In it

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Brawnfire posted:

and when we finally made it back to cave, our cheeks flushed with laughter and cold, there was root waiting for us.

Dig an root and eat it. YES A RAW, No Salt, pepepr. In it

this is the most perfectly Internet thing ever and my poisoned brain loves it so much

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm convinced you could write a paper on why every element in "Boil an potato and smush it up with fork and botter. NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it" is perfectly selected and applied, but it's the hidden "modified slightly" that really elevates it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm convinced you could write a paper on why every element in "Boil an potato and smush it up with fork and botter. NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it" is perfectly selected and applied, but it's the hidden "modified slightly" that really elevates it.

For some reason I thought the first line was referencing the rotten meat goon or whatever it was who was theorized to actually be a bear

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jollibee is just fried chicken. it's good but it is absolutely nothing special. kfc tier food. sometimes Stater Brothers has better fried chicken than jbee

also if you get mayo on your whopper or BK or your sandwich at boston market you've had heavy mayo. it just stands up better to heat, for foodservice applications

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I just found out there's still one Fazoli's left in my town, near my dentist's office where I'm going later, and y'all are tempting me to get a bucket of cheapass pasta

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All you can eat mediocre breadsticks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Bloop posted:

All you can eat mediocre breadsticks

Cumulatively better than finite high quality breadsticks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cumulatively better than finite high quality breadsticks

A very American perspective, just like with buffets: the more I eat, the cheaper it was

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I just ate at wafflehouse, trip-report: it sucked.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

LifeSunDeath posted:

I find a lot of variation from Waffle House to Waffle House, oddly enough. The good ones are pretty good, and the bad ones are extremely bad and also racist.

The good ones are probably also racist :smith:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

LifeSunDeath posted:

I never got waffle house despite the weird slavish devotion it has on these forums.

I can also make perfectly mediocre eggs at home

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Data Graham posted:

To say nothing of course (on a bit longer timeline) of all the European "traditional" cuisines that depend on New World crops like tomatoes and potatoes.

For sure, there's just a common thing in East Asia (and I'm sure elsewhere but EA is what I have the most experience with) of acting like all of this culture is unaltered and goes back thousands of years, when nearly all of it is, at best, from the 19th century. Though I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the Sichuan food museum and it was straight up about yeah, chili peppers were brought to China by the Portuguese and slowly made their way inland. Much different than the common Korean claim that chili peppers are native there and not eaten anywhere else.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A lot of modern European identities were consolidated during the 18th and 19th centuries when a bunch of elites looked around and decided which group of peasants were the best mascots for their political ambitions. The idea of "Italy" is ridiculous.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

hallo spacedog posted:

I never got waffle house despite the weird slavish devotion it has on these forums.

I can also make perfectly mediocre eggs at home

Yeah but you ain't got a griddle for hashbrowns. And presumably you sleep sometimes.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Kenning posted:

A lot of modern European identities were consolidated during the 18th and 19th centuries when a bunch of elites looked around and decided which group of peasants were the best mascots for their political ambitions. The idea of "Italy" is ridiculous.

I didn't realize this comic was making a deep historical-political point:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Yeah, Japan's invented identity in Meiji was straight up copying the nationalist ideas from Europe.